Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (H) League One Sat 5th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Bradford City (H) League One Sat 5th Oct 3pm

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:02 pm

We welcome The Bantams to The Banks' on Saturday for our fourth consecutive game against promotion-chasing opposition. Bradford City currently occupy 5th place in the table on 18 points from their 9 games, so a home win would put us level with them. Their manager Phil Parkinson is another of the younger breed of managers (45 yrs) having been on the playing staff at Southampton, Bury and Reading before dipping his toes into the managerial pool at Colchester in 2003. He was successful there but resigned in June 2006 to take the reins at Hull City (who paid Colchester £400,000 as he still had a year left on his contract). Things didn't work out at Hull though, and he left "by mutual consent" after 6 months, joining Charlton Athletic as assistant to Alan Pardew in January 2007, becoming caretaker manager 31/12/08 after Pardew's departure. Charlton's relegation to League One and their subsequent poor performance saw Parkinson sacked in January 2011, and he got the Bradford City job in August 2011. Promotion from League Two was followed by epic cup runs (remember them against Aston Villa?) and he became the first manager ever to take an English fourth-tier club to a Wembley final.

Bradford City's League record so far this season includes only one defeat (away at Port Vale 2-1), and their last six games are as follows:

24 Aug Sheffield United (H) Won 2-0
31 Aug Stevenage (A) Drew 1-1
7 Sept Brentford (H) Won 4-0
14 Sept Colchester (A) Drew 2-2
21 Sept Gillingham (A) Won 1-0
28 Sept Shrewsbury Town (H) Won 2-1

Of their 19 League goals this season, 9 have been scored by Nahki Wells who is obviously the man to watch. He did suffer an ankle injury serious enough to be taken out of last Saturday's action after 22 minutes against Shrewsbury - full assessment on the ankle is due soon, and there are reports of his being seen with protective boot and crutches over the week-end.

The result that stands out for me is winning 4-0 against Brentford, and we shall have to see whether (a) Wells is match-fit, and (b) what joy we get in appealing Andy Butler's red card. Bradford's away goal tally in the League is 5-5 (won 1, drawn 2, lost 1), and I think we can squeeze this 2-1.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Bradford City (H) League One Sat 5th Oct 3pm

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:15 pm

Someone to do a Butler like challenge on Wells' ankle in the first minute (if he plays), and Saddlers to get the home results rolling, winning 2-1. Hewitt and Baxendale with a late winner.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:18 pm

Bradford once had a plater called Cec Podd.

This is amongst my top 10 favourite footballer's names.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:21 pm

WarsawPact wrote:Bradford once had a plater called Cec Podd.

He welded the team together, presumably? :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

All their women supporters thought that he was a real dish!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Another in a long line of tough games this, they will be near the top 6 this season and were put together on a budget around £4m I do believe? Wells went off injured last week but the common consensus is that he is likely to start Saturday. Would have been the perfect afternoon for Butler marshalling that big lump James Hanson, who is one of the better target men in the lower league circuit IMO. Think he and Wells could run riot unless we are on top form at the back. I'd suggest Lalkovic may drop back to the bench and Baxendale come back in.

Think we will slip to a 2-1 defeat, thankfully we have some much easier fixtures on the horizon.

1-2.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:27 pm

2-0 Walsall

O'Donnell

Purkiss
Downing
Holden
Taylor

Chambers
Mantom

Baxendale
Westcarr
Hemmings

Hewitt

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:02 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:2-0 Walsall

O'Donnell

Purkiss
Downing
Holden
Taylor

Chambers
Mantom

Baxendale
Westcarr
Hemmings

Hewitt

No Gray? :?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:07 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:2-0 Walsall

O'Donnell

Purkiss
Downing
Holden
Taylor

Chambers
Mantom

Baxendale
Westcarr
Hemmings

Hewitt

Given recent results with Featherstone, Chambers & Mantom all playing together, I think it'll be at least a few weeks before we revert back to just the two of them.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:25 pm

O'Donnell

Purkiss
Chambers
Downing
Taylor

Featherstone
Mantom
Chambers

Baxendale
Hewitt
Westcarr

Gray after an hour with Sawyers featuring at some point also. I feel we are missing out on his skills playing a 4-3-3 as we can't have anyone playing in the hole, when he plays there he's our best outfield attacker IMO.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Sadders wrote:Another in a long line of tough games this, they will be near the top 6 this season and were put together on a budget around £4m I do believe? Wells went off injured last week but the common consensus is that he is likely to start Saturday. Would have been the perfect afternoon for Butler marshalling that big lump James Hanson, who is one of the better target men in the lower league circuit IMO. Think he and Wells could run riot unless we are on top form at the back. I'd suggest Lalkovic may drop back to the bench and Baxendale come back in.

Think we will slip to a 2-1 defeat, thankfully we have some much easier fixtures on the horizon.

1-2.

Why would you want to bring Baxendale in when you highlight the opposition's attacking strength? Baxendale's big weak point is offering defensive cover, and always allows his man to cross too easily.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:07 pm

On the face of it, a draw would seem like a decent result, a bit like Rotherham. However, to many draws can ruin a season, it would be nice if we could grind out a win this time. I think we will do just that. 1-0, an early Westcarr goal, then they will throw the kitchen sink at us, but fail to make it count.

4453 In attendance, including me after a visit to the Fullbrook most likely.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Right back if I recall. Black as the ace of spades (if that's not too non PC).

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:23 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Right back if I recall. Black as the ace of spades (if that's not too non PC).

Not really fair on the ace of clubs is it really ? :wink:

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:48 pm

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:54 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

I always rather liked Dominique Dropsy [former French international goalkeeper] and Steve Wardrobe [Ex Hartlepool winger from the late 70's/early 80's].

Anyway, another 1-1 draw for us on Saturday, with a Mantom 25 yarder being cancelled out by a Bantams equaliser. The attendance will be 5,286, including 1,502 visitors.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Possible Aerial bombardment imminent.

Play through 'em 3-1.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:28 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Shame he was always crocked.

Looking forward to this as we show a lot of resilience. 2-1 us.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:11 am

Exile wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Was that why he couldn't play in the cup?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Looks like Wells is out: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11719/8950324/wells-waiting-for-news

We'll still need to have our wits about us at the back though, because Hanson's a beast.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Sadders wrote:Another in a long line of tough games this, they will be near the top 6 this season and were put together on a budget around £4m I do believe? Wells went off injured last week but the common consensus is that he is likely to start Saturday. Would have been the perfect afternoon for Butler marshalling that big lump James Hanson, who is one of the better target men in the lower league circuit IMO. Think he and Wells could run riot unless we are on top form at the back. I'd suggest Lalkovic may drop back to the bench and Baxendale come back in.

1-2.

Why would you want to bring Baxendale in when you highlight the opposition's attacking strength? Baxendale's big weak point is offering defensive cover, and always allows his man to cross too easily.

Baxendale seems to come off the bench and improve us and he's a better option than Hemmings/Lalkovic IMO. Hemmings is similar on the defensive side and Lalkovic is rubbish going forward. I think Baxendale will probably start to be honest, according to those who were there he made a difference on Saturday and Lalkovic is cack. Gray may start, but will Smith want that to known the younger lads confidence if he comes in and goes straight in ahead of them? Hmmm.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Was that why he couldn't play in the cup?

It was said that he galvanised the team.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:21 pm

Sadders wrote:Gray may start, but will Smith want that to known the younger lads confidence if he comes in and goes straight in ahead of them? Hmmm.

He's been training with us for over a month now, so if he has still got the quality Smith tells us he has, I'm sure the younger players won't take it that badly.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:36 pm

Do Bradford travel well in numbers because I know they get decent home gates. If so I reckon there could be another 5k+ attendance. I think we have a chance, even more so now Wells is out for them and Butler will be eligible to play. 3-1 Walsall (Hewitt, Mantom and Gray) infront of 5,579 (1382 bantams)

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:48 pm

DYSaddler wrote:Do Bradford travel well in numbers because I know they get decent home gates.

They probably travel reasonably well, but the home gates are thanks to the ridiculously cheap season tickets they started selling when they first went down to League Two.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:20 pm

DYSaddler wrote:Do Bradford travel well in numbers because I know they get decent home gates. If so I reckon there could be another 5k+ attendance. I think we have a chance, even more so now Wells is out for them and Butler will be eligible to play. 3-1 Walsall (Hewitt, Mantom and Gray) infront of 5,579 (1382 bantams)

Their fans estimate 1500, right up to the full end of 1900.

PT
Site Addict

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:Do Bradford travel well in numbers because I know they get decent home gates. If so I reckon there could be another 5k+ attendance. I think we have a chance, even more so now Wells is out for them and Butler will be eligible to play. 3-1 Walsall (Hewitt, Mantom and Gray) infront of 5,579 (1382 bantams)

I think they'll bring a really good following. They are on the up and haven't played at our place for a while (8/9 years?) so could be a new ground opportunity for a fair few of them to boot.

When I think of Bradford at home I always think of when we played the at Fellows Park in our Fourth Division promotion season 1979-80. They were up there too and brought loads down for what I think was a 0-0. At half-time two of their lot tried to launch an assault on the Street End by running the length of the pitch. They got to the edge of the box at the laundry end and tried to encourage the other Bradford fans to follow them - none did, so by the time they got to the half way line they just stopped and started scratching their heads, they had a chat and then walked very sheepishly back to their terrace.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:17 pm

PT wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

I think they'll bring a really good following. They are on the up and haven't played at our place for a while (8/9 years?) so could be a new ground opportunity for a fair few of them to boot.

When I think of Bradford at home I always think of when we played the at Fellows Park in our Fourth Division promotion season 1979-80. They were up there too and brought loads down for what I think was a 0-0. At half-time two of their lot tried to launch an assault on the Street End by running the length of the pitch. They got to the edge of the box at the laundry end and tried to encourage the other Bradford fans to follow them - none did, so by the time they got to the half way line they just stopped and started scratching their heads, they had a chat and then walked very sheepishly back to their terrace.

You would probably get a lifetime ban from football grounds, and 3 months in nick for that now :lol:

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Chatting to a Bradford fan today who wasn't happy we'd only given them 500 tickets, initially. He said it was "disrespectful". They'm mossive, apparently and he's predicting a big following. We'll see.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 pm

bangsection wrote:Chatting to a Bradford fan today who wasn't happy we'd only given them 500 tickets, initially. He said it was "disrespectful". They'm mossive, apparently and he's predicting a big following. We'll see.

Never really thought much of Bradford one way or another, they are just one of those nothing clubs to me. However, after their fine efforts against those bastards in claret and blue last season, I have warmed to them :lol:

Next
Return to 2013-14 Season