Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wolverhampton Wanderers FL Trophy (A) 3 Sep 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers FL Trophy (A) 3 Sep 7.45pm

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:36 am

wfc & chips wrote:they are a big team (hgh? :wink: ), and it showed in each half. in the 1st, they outmuscled us, although aided and abetted by a ref who would give a foul, obstruction or nothing depending on what suited wolves best at any particular juncture. i don't mind a ref allowing a physical game, as long as he applies it equally to both teams. happily we missed their goal.

their size caught up with them in the 2nd, they tired steadily as it went on, and by the end couldn't cope with our passing and movement. westcarr also played well, but 2 good performances from 8 appearances don't cut it for me. their ref gave them a pen for butler winning a header, but bax, mantom and to a lesser extent westcarr all had very good chances to win it.

2 cracking moves and finishes for our goals, i hope hewitt can carry this forward. seeing mccready's shotstopping v cov i fancied our chances in the shootout, but fair play to him, he did well. hopefully revenge will be served lukewarm!

Fair enough, it's about the same ratio as Baxendale, and Hemmings too though, and probably two more than Lalkovic. Sawyers is the only one that has really shown any consistency out of our front line.

Smith needs to work out what he wants to do with this situation and sort it as quick as possible. On a more positive note Hewitt looked like just the player we have been missing. Put himself about, held the ball up, and bloody hell, not afraid to shoot. Brilliant technique for his goal too. Hopefully he can help solve this problem.

I'm not fussed if Westcarr is in the starting line up or not, as long as we get our forward line playing with some kind of fluency.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:31 am

IHTC. wrote:Not sure its been mentioned but apparently 1,573 Saddlers, cracking turnout for the JPT

Yep, but I think someone have pocketed a few quid on the cash turnstiles.

I cant find the capacity online, but if the Bescot away end holds 1900, then what does the Stave Bull lower hold? It must be getting on for 2500 if not more?

Judging by this picture, the end few blocks are empty, and there's about 30 seats empty at the nearest end to the picture, so my guesstimate says there were around 2000 Saddlers.

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:08 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:Not sure its been mentioned but apparently 1,573 Saddlers, cracking turnout for the JPT

I cant find the capacity online, but if the Bescot away end holds 1900, then what does the Stave Bull lower hold? It must be getting on for 2500 if not more?

Judging by this picture, the end few blocks are empty, and there's about 30 seats empty at the nearest end to the picture, so my guesstimate says there were around 2000 Saddlers.

:lol: Not another conspiracy theory Mystic, there were 1,573 Walsall fans at the game that paid for a seat so no guesstimates needed. There were probably a few in the corporate suites if you want to add them to the total. Plenty of spaces left in that stand, you need some different glasses. I can see thousands of empty seats around you :!:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:08 am

Cully wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

:lol: Not another conspiracy theory Mystic, there were 1,573 Walsall fans at the game that paid for a seat so no guesstimates needed. There were probably a few in the corporate suites if you want to add them to the total. Plenty of spaces left in that stand, you need some different glasses. I can see thousands of empty seats around you :!:

I can too Cully. The top tier doesn't count.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:33 am

Based on those figures then, another 802 fans will be in there for the League game.

Good luck with that.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:28 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Not sure. You still have to shove your ticket in the slot in the window for the turnstile to operate.

P.S. Nice picture of me in there.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

3200 according to football grounds guide http://www.footballgroundguide.com/wolv ... /index.htm in which case the figure quoted is a bit out

Sadders
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:34 pm

The E+S listed '1800' Walsall fans in it's match report next to the game, I suspect they are right and I haven't sen 1,500 quoted anywhere else. 1,800 looks about right.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Sadders wrote:The E+S listed '1800' Walsall fans in it's match report next to the game, I suspect they are right and I haven't sen 1,500 quoted anywhere else. 1,800 looks about right.

And you trust the E+S? ? ?

1, they said Lalkovic got booked for a foul, which he did not,

2, they said Chambers fouled for the Penalty, he's smallish and black Downing is Tall and White easy to get mixed up :roll:

bangsection
Site Addict

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:23 pm

There are lots of factors that affect the "perceived" and "recorded" attendances at football matches.

For instance, I have bought 100 tickets for the Wolves league game because I need the extra space to both erect and then ignite my "Wicker Franksy". It would clearly be unsafe to set fire to a large wooden effigy of the Radio WM presenter being sodomised by former Wolves legend Derek Dougan in the midst of fans - hence the need to purchase a large block of tickets.

So while it might look as if there is a large gap in the away section, the seats have actually been sold.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Can I just add that the last back 3 rows or whatever had netting over them so that would be another 300 i'd imagine... Then the end block around 300, so the 1800 figure seems more accurate to me as well

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Not sure. You still have to shove your ticket in the slot in the window for the turnstile to operate.

P.S. Nice picture of me in there.

I was blinking. Always happens. Take another one at the league game, MMF.:cry:

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:28 pm

'your grounds too big for you'

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:52 pm

At the start they tried to sit people in their seats.

But i was right by the entrance, and after 7:40 they were just saying sit wherever.

Loads of people just standing around. Good times. Except when they are clearly clueless bints.

fudge off

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:50 am

i liked the toasters on their banner. it made me imagine they wanted to share a bath with a live one after getting relegated. ZAP!

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:07 pm

wfc & chips wrote:i liked the toasters on their banner. it made me imagine they wanted to share a bath with a live one after getting relegated. ZAP!

I'm so glad someone else noticed them! :lol:

Were they actually toasters - the angle I was at made them look like that but I wasn't sure?

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:53 pm

I heard it refers to the baggies when they went up,down,up,down. didn't really get that motto cack.

their toast must be burnt to a crisp , it definitely hasn't popped up for a while.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:49 pm

kshammer wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:i liked the toasters on their banner. it made me imagine they wanted to share a bath with a live one after getting relegated. ZAP!

I'm so glad someone else noticed them! :lol:

Were they actually toasters - the angle I was at made them look like that but I wasn't sure?

Yes, it's toasters. No baggies link as far as I know.

More here, if you really have nothing better to do for 30 minutes....

http://vimeo.com/m/55281412

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:22 pm

According to a Google search its something to do with a fans group based in Towcester.

martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:02 pm

One dingle told me it was the and I quote "toast of success!"
:mrgreen:

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season