Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wolverhampton Wanderers FL Trophy (A) 3 Sep 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
mel58
UTS Veteran

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers FL Trophy (A) 3 Sep 7.45pm

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:02 pm

First half was mostly 'Preston part Two' but I'm glad that the players were able to turn things around second half.

What Lalkovich was thinking about when he decided not to advance on goal when he had a clear chance but instead decided to take the quickest route to the touchline instead, escapes me, but he'd totally disengaged his brain when he went in with a swinging hack at an opponent, having lost his rag when the ref didn't give a foul in his favour when he had been shoved over a few seconds earlier. Irresponsible doesn't come into it - dangerous and stupid. Good for Deano in subbing him; if Graydon was managing, I imagine he'd have booked him on the next train from Wolvo to Euston.

Peach of a cross from the left by Westcarr for Hemmings diving header. Hewitt's goal was a class finish. He seemed to have more presence in the box and did one great lay-off to set up a shooting opportunity inside the box. I can't comment on their penalty as I couldn't see anything of the action in the box. Featherstone quietly effective and quite solid and Sawyers still needs to get into the groove and use his ability in a focused and consistant way, He's at his best when he plays the quick pass but he does tend to lose direction and also plays some loose passes. Good to see Taylor back.

They took their penalties well, we less so. I know they'll have stronger team out in a couple of weeks time but it's about how we play not how they play. Some progress tonight - in the second half.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:06 pm

To be fair i think their goalie was superb for the pens.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:11 pm

mel58 wrote:I know they'll have stronger team out in a couple of weeks time but it's about how we play not how they play. Some progress tonight - in the second half.

We'll have a stronger team out in a couple of weeks' time too if Smith learns anything from tonight.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:19 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
mel58 wrote:I know they'll have stronger team out in a couple of weeks time but it's about how we play not how they play. Some progress tonight - in the second half.

We'll have a stronger team out in a couple of weeks' time too if Smith learns anything from tonight.

Tonight proved some things, it was also a bonus in those terms.

Im not convinced by Sawyers, most things he tried ended in giving the ball away cheaply. But, i think we should perservere with him

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:38 pm

latviancheese wrote:To be fair i think their goalie was superb for the pens.

It's only a shame he couldn't do that away at Swindon last season, Hay.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:36 am

Sadders wrote:
latviancheese wrote:To be fair i think their goalie was superb for the pens.

It's only a shame he couldn't do that away at Swindon last season, Hay.

I have no idea what your sayingxxxxxxxx

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:37 am

My throat has gone.

Bring on the league game..

WALSALL FC xxxxxxxxx

Gin.

DarkoMavak

Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:37 am

We were poor to start off with. last few minutes of first half we passed better, we looked quite light weight at times. Second half was better we ran at them a little, passed better, put them under a little pressure. We can do a lot better, and we need to improve. We should scrape the 4-4-2, its not working. I think we should look at the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 maybe we need to play Mamton, Featherstone and Cambers all in the same team. We need someone with presences up front, with the other forwards running off them (maybe Hewitt with Lalkovic and Baxendale running off them). Our big problem right now is we don't know our best 11 or even what formation to play. This is how I rated our team tonight...

Richard O'Donnell made some good saves, was unlucky his pen save went straight back to Sako.
James Chambers solid and consistent, knew what it meant.
Andy Taylor Had a shaky start, got better as the went on. is 100% our best left back.
Andy Butler solid, reliable, top class as always for us.
Paul Downing was a bit nervous, but did okay.
Nicky Featherstone played well tonight, ties the team together well needs to start in the league I think.
Adam Chambers mr consistent these days, you could tell he wanted it and knew what it meant.
Milan Lalkovic will be okay if he has the right partner with him, he needs confidence. he had to drop to deep to try and collect the ball, by the time he got the ball Wolves had re-positioned or he was out of ideas. Needs to try and turn and shot , rather than go wide.
Ashley Hemmings struggled to get into the game, good header, but I don't think 4-4-2 suits us (so where does he fit?), he needs to run at people more, also needs to cover the left back, we have been getting caught out a lot left side due to him shirking his defensive responsibilities.
James Baxendale tried really hard to get into the game to no avail. Ran a lot, wish he was slightly stronger. Should of scored that header.
Romaine Sawyers took 87 minutes to complete a pass, passing was bad, first touch bad. His positioning is good, but he just looks so lethargic and seems too negative to be a forward at times, I can't believe he played 90 mins.
Sam Mantom made a difference when he came on. He wanted to win. Probably should of scored or at least hit the target a couple of time. better than last week though, where he was caught out of position and seemed tired. hopefully will improved week by week from now on.
Craig Westcarr he did put a nice cross in, but neverless is still not good enough for us, slow, never wins a header, doesnt win many 50/50s, cant shot, can't take a man on, always goes backwards. He can cross, not much else.
Troy Hewitt i don't want to get my hopes up, but looked sharp, when he had his back to goal, he tried to turn and shot (amazing at last!), took players on, ran at them, seemed quick, cause trouble. I'm excited about him.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:45 am

Sawyers was our best player again. You obviously prefer someone who runs around the pitch a lot, as opposed to someone with real quality.

OWEN1955

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:50 am

DarkoMavak wrote:We were poor to start off with. last few minutes of first half we passed better, we looked quite light weight at times. Second half was better we ran at them a little, passed better, put them under a little pressure. We can do a lot better, and we need to improve. We should scrape the 4-4-2, its not working. I think we should look at the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 maybe we need to play Mamton, Featherstone and Cambers all in the same team. We need someone with presences up front, with the other forwards running off them (maybe Hewitt with Lalkovic and Baxendale running off them). Our big problem right now is we don't know our best 11 or even what formation to play. This is how I rated our team tonight...

Richard O'Donnell made some good saves, was unlucky his pen save went straight back to Sako.
James Chambers solid and consistent, knew what it meant.
Andy Taylor Had a shaky start, got better as the went on. is 100% our best left back.
Andy Butler solid, reliable, top class as always for us.
Paul Downing was a bit nervous, but did okay.
Nicky Featherstone played well tonight, ties the team together well needs to start in the league I think.
Adam Chambers mr consistent these days, you could tell he wanted it and knew what it meant.
Milan Lalkovic will be okay if he has the right partner with him, he needs confidence. he had to drop to deep to try and collect the ball, by the time he got the ball Wolves had re-positioned or he was out of ideas. Needs to try and turn and shot , rather than go wide.
Ashley Hemmings struggled to get into the game, good header, but I don't think 4-4-2 suits us (so where does he fit?), he needs to run at people more, also needs to cover the left back, we have been getting caught out a lot left side due to him shirking his defensive responsibilities.
James Baxendale tried really hard to get into the game to no avail. Ran a lot, wish he was slightly stronger. Should of scored that header.
Romaine Sawyers took 87 minutes to complete a pass, passing was bad, first touch bad. His positioning is good, but he just looks so lethargic and seems too negative to be a forward at times, I can't believe he played 90 mins.
Sam Mantom made a difference when he came on. He wanted to win. Probably should of scored or at least hit the target a couple of time. better than last week though, where he was caught out of position and seemed tired. hopefully will improved week by week from now on.
Craig Westcarr he did put a nice cross in, but neverless is still not good enough for us, slow, never wins a header, doesnt win many 50/50s, cant shot, can't take a man on, always goes backwards. He can cross, not much else.
Troy Hewitt i don't want to get my hopes up, but looked sharp, when he had his back to goal, he tried to turn and shot (amazing at last!), took players on, ran at them, seemed quick, cause trouble. I'm excited about him.

You want to be careful giving o'donnell some credit, some people on here won't like it. Thiought he played well last night, still needs to work on corners etc but if it wasn't for him we would have lost during the 90 minutes.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:51 am

Sawyers was our best player again. You obviously prefer someone who runs around the pitch a lot, as opposed to someone with real quality.

Sawyers has easily been our best player this season, last night he was poor.

Bring the dog heads on in 2 weeks and lets have another pop at them

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:55 am

saddlerJP wrote:

I didn't think he was, things maybe didn't come off, but he still put in a decent display. I wish he had some better players to play off him, he could be a real gem.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 am

Despite declaring it a barclays cup (which it is) I ended up going with a Dingle mate of mine (who also thought it was a barclays cup) and am glad I did to be fair. The first half was a weird one - we both thought it had the feel of a reserve match at times - but the second half was alot better. Westcarr and Hewitt's introduction made the difference and I even heard one Dingle utter positive things about us on the way out! Both sets of fans were quiet (except when they scored) and my overiding feeling after watching it was that basically Sako was the difference between the teams. Not saying the other players on both sides are/were poor but he looked dangerous every time he can forward and seemed to be all over the pitch late on.

I expect the league match will be very different. :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
saddlerJP wrote:

I didn't think he was, things maybe didn't come off, but he still put in a decent display. I wish he had some better players to play off him, he could be a real gem.

I was sitting high up in the stand and from that view he is comfortably our best attacker. Things don't always come off from him but he picks up good pockets of space and I think with a bit more experience, and fitness, he'll definately be a gem. If he had a really good striker in front of him he'd look superb as he's always lookng for a through ball or one-two.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 am

kshammer wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
saddlerJP wrote:

I was sitting high up in the stand and from that view he is comfortably our best attacker. Things don't always come off from him but he picks up good pockets of space and I think with a bit more experience, and fitness, he'll definately be a gem. If he had a really good striker in front of him he'd look superb as he's always lookng for a through ball or one-two.

Yep, was saying the same last night. Any decent striker with the ability to find space and finish a little, would have a field day playing of Sawyers.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:02 am

That really was a game of two halves. The early goal killed us, both players and fans. As the half wore on we just couldn't get into the game, and it seemed Wolves could go up another couple of gears. David Davis really bossed Chambers and Featherstone. He seems to have bulked up since he was with us. In fact, I didn't realise it was him until I check at half time!

Our style really was hampered by Llalkovic playing up front on his own. He clearly isn't a striker, well, not playing on his own anyway. He constantly drifts wide, giving us nothing to penetrate through the middle. You could see he was getting frustrated before he got booked, and it was the correct decision to bring him off, tactics wise too.

With the introduction of Westcarr, the ball stuck upfront far more, and our attacking players got into the game much further forward as a result. This resulted with us breaking down the left, Westcarr putting the first ball of quality all game into the box, and us having two players waiting to tap it home.

After that we had a guilt edge chance to take the lead. Bax really should have done better than head wide from seven yards. Playing out wide really has shot his confidence. I'd be inclined to take him out for a few games and get him raring to go again.

At this point we were on top, wolves broke and had a succession of corners. The last one resulting in a penalty. It must have been dubious as the Southbank didn't appeal, nor for that fact any of the wolves players. For me the ref had been looking for it all game. A couple of times he stopped play before Wolves set pieces to warn players about pushing. O'Donnell saved a poor penalty, but the rebound was tapped in.

This is where we really stepped up a gear. Featherstone was instrumental as was Hewitt when introduced. Smith really needs to give him a chance. He a centre forward who actually stays central. He holds the ball up well, has a turn of pace, and on the evidence, he can finish. Pre season I thought our more effective partnership looked like Hewitt and Sawyers, rather than Lalkovic and Westcarr.

Hewitt really seemed to rough the Wolves back line up, leading to them panicking and clearing their lines anywhere. They looked completely out of sorts, the rigid 4-4-2 didn't know who to pick up with everyone interchanging. We could have nicked it at the end too, a beautiful layoff from Hewitt lead to Mantom stowing over the bar.

Less said about the pens the better, but we all knew we'd loose. We looked the more threatening side second half. Wolves looked dangerous out wide but seemed to lack quality in the delivery. They never looked like breaking us down through the middle and their best moments were shots from distance which didn't really threaten.

More performances like the second half and we will be fine. Can't wait for round two (not the cup) in two weeks. UTS

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 pm

My only worry is with their full team, if we play like we did in the first half, and they get an early goal again, they could murder us before we even get going.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:09 pm

kshammer wrote:Despite declaring it a barclays cup (which it is) I ended up going with a Dingle mate of mine (who also thought it was a barclays cup) and am glad I did to be fair. The first half was a weird one - we both thought it had the feel of a reserve match at times - but the second half was alot better. Westcarr and Hewitt's introduction made the difference and I even heard one Dingle utter positive things about us on the way out! Both sets of fans were quiet (except when they scored) and my overiding feeling after watching it was that basically Sako was the difference between the teams. Not saying the other players on both sides are/were poor but he looked dangerous every time he can forward and seemed to be all over the pitch late on.

I have to disagree, I think that Sako is one of those luxury players at this level and the championship where he can be either really good, or utter gash and I have to say he was pretty poor yesterday, some of his deliveries from out wide were terrible, he missed a penalty and apart fro a 50 yard audacious shot he never really troubled us. I do worry for us in the league game when they get their bigger players back though. As long as we show as much fight and positivity in which we showed in the 2nd half last night, then we should be ok.

As for the atmosphere, the Billy Wright lower has to be the worst away end i've been in, in terms of acoustics, not only that but our fans are that wide spread that the person starting a song will only be heard for 1 block (2 if lucky ). South bank was vocal at times, but again that stand is perfect atmosphere, nice low roof, no tiers, and a perfect size so that everyone can join in. People slate Man Utds home support saying it's quiet, but imagine how hard it must be to start a song in front of 75,000 wide spread fans in a massive ground, let along 1500 Walsall at the Custard Bowl!

PS, what was our official away attendance last night?

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Bee_Leevers wrote:
kshammer wrote:Despite declaring it a barclays cup (which it is) I ended up going with a Dingle mate of mine (who also thought it was a barclays cup) and am glad I did to be fair. The first half was a weird one - we both thought it had the feel of a reserve match at times - but the second half was alot better. Westcarr and Hewitt's introduction made the difference and I even heard one Dingle utter positive things about us on the way out! Both sets of fans were quiet (except when they scored) and my overiding feeling after watching it was that basically Sako was the difference between the teams. Not saying the other players on both sides are/were poor but he looked dangerous every time he can forward and seemed to be all over the pitch late on.

I have to disagree, I think that Sako is one of those luxury players at this level and the championship where he can be either really good, or utter gash and I have to say he was pretty poor yesterday, some of his deliveries from out wide were terrible, he missed a penalty and apart fro a 50 yard audacious shot he never really troubled us. I do worry for us in the league game when they get their bigger players back though. As long as we show as much fight and positivity in which we showed in the 2nd half last night, then we should be ok.

As for the atmosphere, the Billy Wright lower has to be the worst away end i've been in, in terms of acoustics, not only that but our fans are that wide spread that the person starting a song will only be heard for 1 block (2 if lucky ). South bank was vocal at times, but again that stand is perfect atmosphere, nice low roof, no tiers, and a perfect size so that everyone can join in. People slate Man Utds home support saying it's quiet, but imagine how hard it must be to start a song in front of 75,000 wide spread fans in a massive ground, let along 1500 Walsall at the Custard Bowl!

PS, what was our official away attendance last night?

Got to agree with Bee Leevers with regards to Sako, he was really predictable. When he was on the left, every time he'd go on the outside and look to cross. Four or five times he spooned his cross out for a throw or behind for a goal kick. When
In the right, he'd look to cut inside and shoot every time. I think two shots out of seven or eight troubled O'Donnell, one that he saved and the other went wide. The rest were miles off.

His delivery from set pieces was good though

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:07 pm

1,800 quouted in tonight's Express and Star report.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:53 pm

Sadders wrote:1,800 quouted in tonight's Express and Star report.

Not bad, that. We will certainly sell the 2,375 given to us for the league match if we can get that many for the JPT.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jbxfjyLbW8

Highlights nicked from the Wolves forum :mrgreen: 2 very decent goals from our point of view - cracking ball in from Westcarr and clinical header from Hemmings, and Hewitt's volley was beautifully put away where, let's be honest, some on else in that position may have took a touch and ended up squandering a shooting chance.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:43 pm

DYSaddler wrote: let's be honest, some on else in that position may have took a touch and ended up squandering a shooting chance.

Confidence to hit it first time too.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Have we worked out what the penalty was really for yet?

Also, how bad was Hemmings' defending for their opener? Granted his job is to create and score goals, but to just stand there and watch the bloke you're supposed to be marking get into that position is criminal.

SWS1

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Let's be honest, they scored what were two poorish goals from our point of view whereas ours were pretty good. Say no more.
:D :(

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Listening to the match on WM the ref had warned Downing three times about shirt pulling so he was bound to give a penalty sooner or later.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:11 pm

clawtheolder wrote:Listening to the match on WM the ref had warned Downing three times about shirt pulling so he was bound to give a penalty sooner or later.

I'd imagine WM were more biased than the bleedin ref was.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:33 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:Listening to the match on WM the ref had warned Downing three times about shirt pulling so he was bound to give a penalty sooner or later.

I'd imagine WM were more biased than the bleedin ref was.

True according to them Wolves where playing some team from Poland.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Not sure its been mentioned but apparently 1,573 Saddlers, cracking turnout for the JPT

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:26 pm

they are a big team (hgh? :wink: ), and it showed in each half. in the 1st, they outmuscled us, although aided and abetted by a ref who would give a foul, obstruction or nothing depending on what suited wolves best at any particular juncture. i don't mind a ref allowing a physical game, as long as he applies it equally to both teams. happily we missed their goal.

their size caught up with them in the 2nd, they tired steadily as it went on, and by the end couldn't cope with our passing and movement. westcarr also played well, but 2 good performances from 8 appearances don't cut it for me. their ref gave them a pen for butler winning a header, but bax, mantom and to a lesser extent westcarr all had very good chances to win it.

2 cracking moves and finishes for our goals, i hope hewitt can carry this forward. seeing mccready's shotstopping v cov i fancied our chances in the shootout, but fair play to him, he did well. hopefully revenge will be served lukewarm!

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season