Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Summer 2013 Transfer Rumours

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
kshammer
Site Addict

Re: Summer 2013 Transfer Rumours

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:12 am

coxy wrote:Is anyone actually going to share these 'rumours'??

Nope - the air of mystery would go then.

Plus it would be made up as well.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:20 am

TheSaddlers wrote:
windowman wrote:
TheSaddlers wrote:Smith can't honestly think we're good enough to cope with Westcarr, Hewitt, Lalkovic (and Sawyers, Griffiths?). I'd like us to sign McQuilkin, Sterling-James, plus another striker and another 'keeper. It looks as though Smith's only after McQuilkin and a 'keeper, though. So much for re-investment. :lol:

thats surprised me,i thought smith and the club had done well this summer,maybe your a jarvis,parkin type of fan

Certainly not. I am pleased with how Smith has worked this summer, but I cannot help but feel we're holding a lot back.

Its called using a budget wisely, unlike mmagers that piss it up the wall in one go, Smith builds the squad, gives them an opportunity, then strengthens later in the season, if someone isn't performing.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:20 am

Rooney, sshhh. I knew all along.

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:22 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Rooney, sshhh. I knew all along.

Is Adam tone?

coxy
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:26 am

Of course they will... will be a coup...player X...Lee Frecklington.....etc etc..

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:37 am

I would be tempted to tap up Coventry for Leon Clarke, more than adequate replacement for Grigg.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:48 am

Yep, despite some dodgy reviews in the passed Clarke always looks good against us. Mobile, aggressive and a goal threat.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 am

derbysaddler wrote:I would be tempted to tap up Coventry for Leon Clarke, more than adequate replacement for Grigg.

Had more clubs than Tiger Woods and only 28, perhaps speaks volumes about his attitude.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:54 am

derbysaddler wrote:I would be tempted to tap up Coventry for Leon Clarke, more than adequate replacement for Grigg.

Good shout, but perhaps beyond our ambitions, and more importantly wage limit?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Just listened to Deano's post match reaction on the Player, and in it he talks about he is not going down the loan root as he wants to develop our own goalkeepers instead of other teams'. So it looks like no Sam Johnstone.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:37 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Just listened to Deano's post match reaction on the Player, and in it he talks about he is not going down the loan root as he wants to develop our own goalkeepers instead of other teams'. So it looks like no Sam Johnstone.

In fairness, O'Donnell looks and sounds pretty competent. Loans from higher clubs tend to happen on the basis that they're guaranteed a first team spot, too.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:47 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Just listened to Deano's post match reaction on the Player, and in it he talks about he is not going down the loan root as he wants to develop our own goalkeepers instead of other teams'. So it looks like no Sam Johnstone.

...and if Grof hadn't got himself into Smith's bad books we wouldn't have had so many loan keepers last season either.

deldras
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:00 am

......not going down the loan root as he wants to develop our own goalkeepers instead of other teams'.....

A little bit disingenuous. If David Moyes calls tomorrow offering Sam, Smith will snap his hand off. How is this any different to Lalkovic?

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:56 am

Exile wrote:

...and if Grof hadn't got himself into Smith's bad books we wouldn't have had so many loan keepers last season either.

Partly true but don't forget to factor in that along with getting in Smith's bad books he was extremely poor at keeping goal. :D

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Give him a one year deal, but well paid. Gives us a year of having a seasoned pro who delivers at this level and allows a year to work with some of our younger forwards to get them up to scratch. It would help take any pressures off Hewitt as well so he can develop more naturally to our style of play etc. Works for Clarke too, has a really good season and then he can move to another club that will pay more. In all honesty Coventry is not a stable club to be at right now, he may fancy leaving, unless Coventry expect a transfer fee for him of course which would change the point of us trying to sign him for one year.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:41 pm

derbysaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Give him a one year deal, but well paid. Gives us a year of having a seasoned pro who delivers at this level and allows a year to work with some of our younger forwards to get them up to scratch. It would help take any pressures off Hewitt as well so he can develop more naturally to our style of play etc. Works for Clarke too, has a really good season and then he can move to another club that will pay more. In all honesty Coventry is not a stable club to be at right now, he may fancy leaving, unless Coventry expect a transfer fee for him of course which would change the point of us trying to sign him for one year.

We could tell them "It's not that we can't pay, we just don't want to".

Alexgregoryy

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:19 pm

i wouldn't say we need another striker, we only play one up front now with a player behind. so either westcarr or hewitt up front with probably sawyers behind

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Alexgregoryy wrote:i wouldn't say we need another striker, we only play one up front now with a player behind. so either westcarr or hewitt up front with probably sawyers behind

Westcarr can't play up front though, in fact he looks very uncomfortable in that role. So that leaves one, and the jury is out as to whether Hewitt can play there yet.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Bradley wright-phillips has agreed to join......

new york red bulls pending visa

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:26 pm

paddy wrote:Bradley wright-phillips has agreed to join......

new york red bulls pending visa

Who doesn't accept American Express in this day and age?! It's not 1992 ya know!

paddy
UTS Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:35 am

:lol: :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:47 am

Rumours were rife yesterday that another young Chelsea lad will be joining us shortly

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 am

I feel a bit sorry for Omari Sterling-James who I am almost 99% sure we'd have signed had he not taken a knock midway through pre-season. Seems a bit strange for him to have spent 3-4 months with us and then fall off the radar completely.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Sadders wrote:I feel a bit sorry for Omari Sterling-James who I am almost 99% sure we'd have signed had he not taken a knock midway through pre-season. Seems a bit strange for him to have spent 3-4 months with us and then fall off the radar completely.

He won't be off the radar, he'll be monitored. I've got a friend who coached him for birmingham county and said he'd be very surprised if he made it at league level. He mentioned a couple of players that are head and shoulders above the rest and the club are aware of them.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:36 pm

IHTC. wrote:Rumours were rife yesterday that another young Chelsea lad will be joining us shortly

Only Mata or Hazard would really suit our sexy football.

Imagine if it's Islam Feruz - the EDL element would go into full-on mouth frothing neanderthal mode

On a serious note, I really don't think we need anyone else until we have a couple of injuries, or we get a dip in form.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Strong rumours that Stoke City are going to make a bid for Troy Deeney.
If true I believe that we will get a cut of the fee

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:34 pm

SaddlerCrewe wrote:Strong rumours that Stoke City are going to make a bid for Troy Deeney.

He must be worth a good fee now.Slightly north what we got for him.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:40 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
SaddlerCrewe wrote:Strong rumours that Stoke City are going to make a bid for Troy Deeney.

Apparently the move depends on Crouch leaving (he's on £40k a week and Stoke would like him off the books)
Crouch rumoured to be joining Reading.
I haven't heard what the fee for Deeney will be, my guess would be £3 million..ish

Stoke do have money, they have made profits since getting to the PL and don't have any debts.
I think they have only made a couple of minor signings (2 full backs) so far
Last edited by SaddlerCrewe on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:42 pm

SaddlerCrewe wrote:

Apparently the move depends on Crouch leaving (he's on £40k a week and Stoke would like him off the books)
I haven't heard what the fee for Deeney will be, my guess would be £3 million..ish

Any idea of percentages? We all know
About Watford's promotion clause, but the sell on must've receded a bit.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
SaddlerCrewe wrote:

Any idea of percentages? We all know
About Watford's promotion clause, but the sell on must've receded a bit.

I do remember something being mentioned about sell on fees and extra money if Watford get promotion being mentioned when they signed him.
I don't know any figures though

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics