Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Summer 2013 Transfer Rumours

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Re: Summer 2013 Transfer Rumours

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:54 am

Come to think of it...... Is Barry Haykes coming to us this season???
:shock:

Lukeyboy part 2!
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:58 am

saddlerphil wrote:Come to think of it...... Is Barry Haykes coming to us this season???
:shock:

Is that Barry Hayles Phil? :)

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:04 pm

Tooooo early in Sunday morning :D

martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:21 am

When's Benito Carbone signing?

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:55 pm

What's Jorge doing ?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Sticky removed! Incredibly, with two weeks to go, we are only looking at another keeper and whether to sign McQuilkin. Never been known before!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:33 pm

I still think we're playing a risky game in the strikers department, but I suppose we do have Hewitt, Westcarr and Lalkovic who can all play there.

As long as there's enough in the pot for a couple of good loans, if the opportunity arises, hopefully we'll be ok. Maybe we could even bring Grigg back on loan in January. :idea:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:35 pm

I think we need 3 players, GK, McQuilkin and finally OSJ as a winger to turn to.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:44 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:I think we need 3 players, GK, McQuilkin and finally OSJ as a winger to turn to.

McQuilkin is described as a wide man in the E&S today, so maybe it's him or OSJ rather than both. I think OSJ is injured now anyway, isn't he? No pressure on us to offer him a deal just yet if that's the case.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Well McQuilkin can play wide, but was never highly rated their at all. It was the same against Alfreton, he was deployed on the wings and was ineffective - but in the second half he was in the heart of midfield, and did wonders. Even so, OSJ is injured yes, but since he is a free agent does that mean we can sign him whenever?

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Smith can't honestly think we're good enough to cope with Westcarr, Hewitt, Lalkovic (and Sawyers, Griffiths?). I'd like us to sign McQuilkin, Sterling-James, plus another striker and another 'keeper. It looks as though Smith's only after McQuilkin and a 'keeper, though. So much for re-investment. :lol:

Scooby
UTS Regular

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Definitely need a goalscorer

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm

TheSaddlers wrote:Smith can't honestly think we're good enough to cope with Westcarr, Hewitt, Lalkovic (and Sawyers, Griffiths?). I'd like us to sign McQuilkin, Sterling-James, plus another striker and another 'keeper. It looks as though Smith's only after McQuilkin and a 'keeper, though. So much for re-investment. :lol:

I have no idea of the scale of reinvestment because I don't know what wages the new players are on.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Things with OSJ have certainly gone quiet. Personally, I would like to see him signed up - Mcquilkin is a good player dont get be wrong but would we need him with Mantom and Featherstone? Likewise, I think another keeper and striker are required so 3 players to come for me.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:03 pm

TheSaddlers wrote:Smith can't honestly think we're good enough to cope with Westcarr, Hewitt, Lalkovic (and Sawyers, Griffiths?). I'd like us to sign McQuilkin, Sterling-James, plus another striker and another 'keeper. It looks as though Smith's only after McQuilkin and a 'keeper, though. So much for re-investment. :lol:

You can't have it all. On another thread, there's plenty of praise being banded around for the way we've assembled our 23 man squad with two weeks to spare.

As KC says, the budget accounts for the wages of all of those players - which, based on the fact that we have a bigger squad, could well be larger than last year's wage bill. Smith will also want to keep some in reserve in the event that we need to bring in a loan or two.

I think we need a striker, but that signing would have to come at the expense of McQuilkin, Sterling-James, or more likely, both.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Anyone know what the situation is with Will Grigg's money? Still negotiating?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:14 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Anyone know what the situation is with Will Grigg's money? Still negotiating?

I'd have thought so. Don't be surprised if we don't have the amount confirmed until the transfer window has closed. It usually takes ages when it goes to tribunal.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:24 pm

I'm not convinced by Sterling-James if I'm honest. From what I've seen (which in fairness isn't a lot) I have concerns that he good enough to make the step up and kick off.

Expect at least one and possibly two new signings within the next two weeks. One, I understand, would be a real coup for us if we can close the deal.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:I'm not convinced by Sterling-James if I'm honest. From what I've seen (which in fairness isn't a lot) I have concerns that he good enough to make the step up and kick off.

Expect at least one and possibly two new signings within the next two weeks. One, I understand, would be a real coup for us if we can close the deal.

If its the Wright Phillips deal, it looks like NY will be offering him a contract.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Walsall_Casual wrote:I'm not convinced by Sterling-James if I'm honest. From what I've seen (which in fairness isn't a lot) I have concerns that he good enough to make the step up and kick off.

If its the Wright Phillips deal, it looks like NY will be offering him a contract.

I wouldn't call Wright Phillips a coup....unless its Mark Wright and Kevin Phillips.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:55 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

I wouldn't call Wright Phillips a coup....unless its Mark Wright and Kevin Phillips.

We're not in League Two any more. :mrgreen:

windowman
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:05 am

thats surprised me,i thought smith and the club had done well this summer,maybe your a jarvis,parkin type of fan

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:27 am

windowman wrote:

thats surprised me,i thought smith and the club had done well this summer,maybe your a jarvis,parkin type of fan

Certainly not. I am pleased with how Smith has worked this summer, but I cannot help but feel we're holding a lot back. Whether we have a BWP-like coup or a couple of January loans planned, I don't know. The last comment of the one above was obviously tongue in cheek, but we are evidently a couple of players short.

windowman
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 am

BWP like coup ? no thanks

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 am

Would love that to be Theo Robinson, released from Derby and still only 24. Hails from Birmingham as well.

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:35 am

Sadsfan wrote:

Would love that to be Theo Robinson, released from Derby and still only 24. Hails from Birmingham as well.

The rumour I've heard would involve a good fee which is a bit shocking...

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:52 am

DavidWFC2010 wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:

The rumour I've heard would involve a good fee which is a bit shocking...

Is it Fabregas Tone? Is that why he has turned down Utd?

coxy
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:01 am

Is anyone actually going to share these 'rumours'??

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

coxy wrote:Is anyone actually going to share these 'rumours'??

Nope, as usual.

It won't happen whomever they think it is anyway, see Player X as an example.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:09 am

The Red Prince wrote:
coxy wrote:Is anyone actually going to share these 'rumours'??

Nope, as usual.

It won't happen whomever they think it is anyway, see Player X as an example.

But they'll pop up after saying they knew all along!

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics