Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leeds (H) Friendly - Saturday 20/07/2013

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Leeds (H) Friendly - Saturday 20/07/2013

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:18 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Didn't go, but from what I heard, it will cost nearly that to put right the damage their fans did.

We-are-Walsall: What have you heard that the Leeds 'fans' did?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:22 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Didn't go, but from what I heard, it will cost nearly that to put right the damage their fans did.

Done some damage in the mini bar in the away end, pulled the ceiling down, only what I was to though.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:25 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Done some damage in the mini bar in the away end, pulled the ceiling down, only what I was to though.

Thanks for that. I hope this is not the case, but given the reputation of Leeds, it would not surprise me.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:37 pm

I'm sure we'd be insured for stuff like that?

realist saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Enjoyed the game, played some excellent passing football, Smiths style is evident to see and running throughout the club, well done

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:30 pm

A very good game with a strong atmosphere, we played our game very well and made Leeds look average, if I'm honest I think Leeds shooting was awful normally sending them way over but they did look dangerous on set pieces and I think that was our defending of corners but really that was the only time I particularly worried about them we looked far more attacking then them.
I think it was harder for our wingers as Leeds seemed to have quite a few back so it got crowded quite quickly until the second half when they tired and our fresh players come on and tore them to shreds (particular mention for sawyers/hewitt/number 15).

Special mention has to go to Paddy Kenny and his reaction to his defender almost scoring a brilliant OG with a simple pass back very funny to watch.

I think today showed the team is gelling well and even the subs seem to have a good understanding of how the rest of the team play so there is strong link up play, my only criticism is I think we need to shoot a little more as I really think Leeds were there for the taking today and we did have quite a few times where we just passed it around the box hoping someone would just try it which Mantom did and nearly scored a beauty as it came off the inside corner of the crossbar.

O'Donnell- Great Shop stopper and very talkative, I think he is a little weak leeds player knocked it out his hands and almost in and the time he ran into the player to block a chance on goal and managed to hurt himself. But with confidence I think he will do well.

J.Chambers- Normal game for him did well

Benning- He had a blinder today dealt with everything that came his way and attacked really well he was probably my MOTM.

Downing- Normal game for Downing did well as per

Holden- Didn't really do anything wrong though feel as a captain he wasn't that vocal and still think the team look more confident with butler especially during set pieces we deffo had a few nervy corners but this was the whole defence really can't pinpoint anyone for them.

Featherstone- His work rate is top notch seemed to be popping up in a lot of places and picks out some good passes.

A.Chambers- Didn't put a foot wrong got his tackles in and picked out some good passes.

Westcarr- His work rate has certainly picked up and took his goal fantastically also nice to see he was one of the players happy to try a shot instead of a pass.

Baxendale- Great speed to get into space and a great ball to set up Westcarr he caused a lot of problems for leeds though still think he would be happier playing in the middle then rather far right.

Hemmings- made few decent passes my only gripe with him is he seems to pass more then try and take on a defender as a winger I'd like to see him beating the man and putting in those good crosses like the end of last season.

Lalkovic- He has class when the balls at his feet and very quick but didn't get to many chances in front of goal I think he'd make a better winger personally but has that something about him.

All of the subs were top quality but my mentions for the best subs has to be Number 15 (Not sure of name think it may of been Morris), Hewitt and Sawyers who all looked deadly on the attack and linked up well together.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:04 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

I am sure any damaged that has been done will be billed to L.U.F.C

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:14 pm

IHTC. wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Lots of damage done, I was working in their end 2nd half, and you could stink the beer all over the floors with the doors shut. They had some fun in there from what I've been told!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:17 pm

I agree with most of the comments above but the only player who concerned me was Holden. Although he was generally steady when the ball was on the ground, he was consistently beaten in the air. That said, Matt Smith, the Leeds centre-forward, is a big bloke and he gave the defences of Liverpool and Everton a hard time, last season. I think Holden will only be used in an emergency, in cases of injury or suspension, this season.

Encouraging to see Benning have such a good game after a nervy start - Taylor missing again (injury?).

Leeds definitely have problems up front if they fancy their chances, this season.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:17 pm

Rob Harvey wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Lots of damage done, I was working in their end 2nd half, and you could stink the beer all over the floors with the doors shut. They had some fun in there from what I've been told!

Sounds like our Sjoke away, half time fun.

Lukeyboy part 2!
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Well done to the lads again! Lets carry it in to the season!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:30 pm

We're 16/1 for promotion - that's got to be worth a punt.

Wolves are favourites :lol: :lol: :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Pedagogue wrote:I agree with most of the comments above but the only player who concerned me was Holden. Although he was generally steady when the ball was on the ground, he was consistently beaten in the air. That said, Matt Smith, the Leeds centre-forward, is a big bloke and he gave the defences of Liverpool and Everton a hard time, last season. I think Holden will only be used in an emergency, in cases of injury or suspension, this season.

Encouraging to see Benning have such a good game after a nervy start - Taylor missing again (injury?).

Leeds definitely have problems up front if they fancy their chances, this season.

I didn't go today, but of all our signings, I'm not all that happy about Holden. Okay he is only going to be back up, but any long term injury to Butler or Downing and we are in the cack in my opinion. He had a few decent games last season MK Dons at home springs to mind, but all in all he was average at best, and at worst bleedin awful. I presume he was cheap as chips, and maybe has some off the field leadership qualities, but all the same not a great signing I don't think.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:09 pm

aaaae wrote:We're 16/1 for promotion - that's got to be worth a punt.

Corse they are, bet we about 6/5 on for relegation too! Odds makers are 'tools' who think "the big boys will win it, and the also rans like gurrole Worsul are there just as whipping boys, mere stepping stones toward their rightful return to the 'bigtime'....
I bet Sheff United are joint favs too!! :evil: :evil:

I just wish we could 'do a Yeovil' this season..Would make me really happy just to finish above the Dingles!!

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
aaaae wrote:We're 16/1 for promotion - that's got to be worth a punt.

Corse they are, bet we about 6/5 on for relegation too! Odds makers are 'tools' who think "the big boys will win it, and the also rans like gurrole Worsul are there just as whipping boys, mere stepping stones toward their rightful return to the 'bigtime'....
I bet Sheff United are joint favs too!! :evil: :evil:

I just wish we could 'do a Yeovil' this season..Would make me really happy just to finish above the Dingles!!

The odds bookmakers set reflect the amount being staked on that team, as well as who the bookmakers judge are favourites on form.
Since so many fans will back their own team Wolves and Sheff Utd will always be short odds for our division.
Nice to know the Dingles fans get such poor value!

Wolves are currently 11/10 for promotion!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Been to the three "Proper" friendlies this season and encouraged by what I see.... Every player including reserves and trialists are plating the pass and move way. I was sitting close to a big gob Leeds fan and he got quieter and quieter throughout the match as it was plain to see who was the better side.

Not getting carried away but the usual "Doom" merchants on here that hardly go to games should give this lot credit. I'm hopeful for a decent season.

Doctor Jazz

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Just had a look at the LU fans forum. LU fans mostly don't mention Walsall, they are too busy slagging off Leeds. But one fan did comment;

'really hope we got some players coming in this week, otherwise I really fear for where we heading. Walsall out passed us and out fought us today and the worry is though the players had skill, they were young, lightweight but out fought Leeds and we all know what a battle this league is...............'

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Bee_Leevers wrote:I'm sure we'd be insured for stuff like that?

I'm sure you can imagine the excess for malicious damage at a football ground. Send the bill to Leeds.

Still not as bad as the premium loading for a deep fat frier!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:57 pm

I was very impressed with us today. Completely outplayed a Championship outfit. Deano and O'Kelly have definitely been doing their homework when recruiting. I know it's still early days, but so far everyone seems to fit into our system extremely well.

Few things i'd like to highlight. First of all, Troy Hewitt. When he came on we improved ten fold. The ball stuck with him uptop. He looked quick, strong and decent with the ball at his feet. I'd like to see him given a chance to do the 'Grigg role' this year.

Kieron Morris. Look out for this lad, he's got massive potential. I thoroughly believe he'll be the next 'Pato'.

As for McQuilkin, I think he'll be worth a punt, even as back up. Can't imagine his wages will be large. He looked very comfortable on the ball today, rarely wasting it. Also battled well when Leeds has possession.

Can't fault anyone today, superb display. Yes it was only a friendly, but performances like that will only breed confidence.

Oh, and the pitch is looking superb, so a big well done to the groundsman.

Greg Oxley
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Lads out of the reserves/academy looked very good too!! Morris could be dangerous!! Rico Taylor, Ben George and Roberts looked decent! Flanagan good aswell in other friendlies.

Anyone know what Paddy Kenny did to wind up some of our fans?

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:04 pm

And lets not forget to mention Ben Purkiss. I think he'll be having nightmares about that glaring miss :lol:

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:07 pm

Exile wrote:
Bee_Leevers wrote:I'm sure we'd be insured for stuff like that?

I'm sure you can imagine the excess for malicious damage at a football ground. Send the bill to Leeds.

Still not as bad as the premium loading for a deep fat frier!

I wonder if the appearance of these yobs had anything to do with the EDL march in Birmingham earlier in the day.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:57 am

I think people are being a bit harsh on Dean Holden, yes he's a bit slow, but at the end of the day, he's a back up and I feel when called upon he'll do a job for us, I can't fault his performance today against championship opposition.

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:15 am

I didn't go to the match yesterday. So I looked on the net last night and read the LUFC reports about the game. They seem to say we were lucky to win as Leeds had most of the ball and chances!!
It is really heartening to see sooo many Sadders being positive about the side. I just hope we transfer it into the upcoming season.
What a difference as stable team makes!! We have players now that have played a whole season together and understand each other :) Usually we make a squad with hours to go before kick off & the team do not know each others Christian names let alone how they play.
Well done Walsall and well done Mr D Smith in convincing the powers that be that a stable team is a happy/working team.
Really looking forward the 2012/14.
UTS all the way.
:D :D :D

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:21 am

Really impressed with us yesterday. It may have had something to do with the Leeds players being a bit tired, but when our glut of subs came on,we really seemed to improve, especially in the final third. Sawyers and Hewitt in particular looked really sharp. Some clever through balls from Sawyers that almost came off and Hewitts strength and hold up play we're top class. On that showing I'd put them as our first choice striking pair. It's great to have such healthy competition. Whoever comes on, it doesn't weaken the team.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:08 am

Extended (15 mins) highlights here:

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/x124 ... lufc_sport

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:21 am

So Leeds chucked in loads of crosses, and we played the better football and won.

Good. Because I was under the impression that chucking loads of crosses into a big bloke won over all.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:44 am

Sounds like sour grapes from Mcdermott no mention of how well we did today more about how cack Leeds were.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x124n3 ... evJdFOkON0

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Leeds are 18/1 with Sky bet to get relegated! worth a punt? even McDermott mentioned he's not looking to strengthen his team anymore :lol:

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:20 pm

SaddlerCraig wrote:Sounds like sour grapes from Mcdermott no mention of how well we did today more about how cack Leeds were.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x124n3 ... evJdFOkON0

He's depressed. That's good enough for me.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season