Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Prediction League 1 2012-13: A New Season!!

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Prediction League 1 2012-13: A New Season!!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 am

I have one mission. That mission is to beat the Bangkok Gangbang Boy!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Isn't there a rule that states that if the winner doesn't manage to make it beyond 90 points then the previous champion retains the crown?

There should be. I earned my triumph, prized the cold hands of a worthy combatant on the last day with a four point haul. This sent the adversary scuttling into the abyss, to tend his fractured soul. This year is won by default upon the back of a meaningless lottery. 84 POINTS... whoooooo. WHHOOOOOO! Who the hell do you think you are??!!

I am just being honest. I am not bitter at being basically pilfered by a light-fingered rapscallion of dubious potential, a cowled malcontent picking the pocket of the king of predictors, the emperor of justice. It is simple burglary from the palace of truth and deservedness.

I call upon all that is dark in the world, all that seethes in the shadowy corners of the night, every abomination and ussuance from the well of the netherfiend to propel my magnificence above the opportunistic leeches in my immediate presence. I shall prevail! If not against the perfidious false king, then those within range to feel my wrath!

SMELL MY MAGNIFICENCE!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPiWUq5DUjE[/youtube]

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:38 pm

Bloody CREEP wrote:As the fat lady clears her throat and gargles in preparation for next week's finale, can I be the first to thank you for your sterling work this season in administration of the league.

Nearly as good as FlemishSaddler.

I will accept six points today as full and final settlement for the purchase of the above compliment.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you bloody creep. Get a bloody room!

:D :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:22 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:still snivelling about my poor performance and harping on about my lucky win last year

Monkeys, typewriters, Shakespeare. It had to happen.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Updated table after tonight's postponed games. Points for Derby, Kevin and Welsh, which, like United, guarantees the title! Well done Welsh!! :D

One more week to go, so who can get the other podium places?! :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Way to ruin the competition, Welsh. :(

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 am

Derby goes from tenth to fourth as a result of one postponed game.

#Tighter_than_a_gnat's_chuff.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:33 am

King Crimson wrote:Derby goes from tenth to fourth as a result of one postponed game.

#Tighter_than_a_gnat's_chuff.

BOOM! :D
Handy as I forget to predict last weekend

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:53 am

Today I reluctantly relinquish my incumbancy.

I spent the evening dancing around my room naked and eating a huge victory burrito in a Mexican restaurant.

If there is any advice I would offer to the new incumbant it would be:

Humilty, no-one likes a bloody loudmouth and we are already seeing some of this triumphalism seep out from Welsh in a most unseemly manner. It's shabby and is disrespectful to other predictors.
Generosity, acknowledging the feats of others that have gone before. In a way the new incumbant is merely riding on the shoulders of the giants that have preceeded him. Perhaps an essay or diagram could be commissioned detailing this.
Respect, understanding that there is no 'i' in team and nobody is more important than the whole group. In a way, this has been a team effort and predictors further down the table should share in the glory as they obviously encouraged and motivated the new incumbant to do slightly better.

I think the thing to take away from all this is the fact that winning isn't really that important and not even finishing above other so-called 'rivals'. Everyone has helped and encouraged everyone else at every stage. Only those being silly and childish would disagree.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:10 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Today I reluctantly relinquish my incumbancy.

I spent the evening dancing around my room naked and eating a huge victory burrito in a Mexican restaurant.

If there is any advice I would offer to the new incumbant it would be:

Humilty, no-one likes a bloody loudmouth and we are already seeing some of this triumphalism seep out from Welsh in a most unseemly manner. It's shabby and is disrespectful to other predictors.
Generosity, acknowledging the feats of others that have gone before. In a way the new incumbant is merely riding on the shoulders of the giants that have preceeded him. Perhaps an essay or diagram could be commissioned detailing this.
Respect, understanding that there is no 'i' in team and nobody is more important than the whole group. In a way, this has been a team effort and predictors further down the table should share in the glory as they obviously encouraged and motivated the new incumbant to do slightly better.

I think the thing to take away from all this is the fact that winning isn't really that important and not even finishing above other so-called 'rivals'. Everyone has helped and encouraged everyone else at every stage. Only those being silly and childish would disagree.

Oh stop whining and get predicting, will you? In addition to the definite sounds of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth emanating from your vicinity, I can now definitely detect an aroma of sour grapes :lol:

Humility is certainly the key, there I would agree with you completely. I therefore intend to be respectful and humble towards my fellow competitors in keeping with the example set by your good self over the past eight months.......now where's the emoticon for blowing an exceedingly loud raspberry when you need one :?:

Fret not, young man - I'm sure that with dedication and application you may at some time in the distant future gain enough skill to be a semi-serious challenger to my UTS predictorial crown. For the time being, however, you can coast along with the also-rans whilst honing your spelling skills (incumbent) :wink:

I do take my hat off to you for your literary output though!!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:19 am

Mods MODS! :shock:

I am being denegrated and humiliated by Welsh in a fit of posturing jingoistic triumphalism! Also, my character has been besmirched by him calling me a sour grapist. This is not true as I was just offering some kindly advice. :wink:

Others are aware of the quality of my character and will no doubt rush to my defence against these outlandish claims!

:!:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:47 am

Well said Welsh. I'll now stand aside so I'm not trampled in the rush to defend Saigon... :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:55 am

In defence of Saigon Saddler, I must say ... er, er ...

:mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 am

I can take it.....my shoulders are broad.....Saigon's appealing and there's a recount.....that's it, isn't it? :shock:

(Can't believe I wrote "Saigon's appealing" :lol: - perhaps I meant "Saigon's appalling" :wink: )

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Here we go for the last and final time this season! The updated, and finishing, table is below after Saturday's games.

A bit of a flat finish in the end, with a funny set of final day results meaning low scoring overall, and a few people seemingly not bothering to predict in the last couple of weeks after lasting a whole season! Most scores were 0 or 1 but the winning score was 4 points, achieved by Tyldesley Saddler, well done!

In the end, Welsh Saddler, was a comfortable winner, despite a poor last couple of weeks. CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2012-13 PREDICTION LEAGUE CHAMPION!!!! Jockey and derbysaddler ended up joint winners of the Number of Weekly Wins Award, with 7 wins each - well done to you two as well. In the Saigon v Manchester battle... I can't be aarsed with that one! :wink:

As for the Average Weekly Points Winner, the table below shows that goes to Saddlerken, but as he only completed 15 weeks, I guess that accolade should go to Exile, as he played the majority of the season's weeks.

It's been a good season. We've had someone in control leading for ages, then someone catching up and taking the lead and managing to see it through. There's been crazy ultra low scoring weeks and people winning weeks with a perfect 6. And not forgetting those agonising last minute and stoppage time goals that turn 4 points into 2 or 1 point into 3 all of a sudden! Thanks to all of you for taking part and making it such fun (despite some of the OTT, if not thoroughly confusing, banter which will accure penalty points next season!! :wink: ) I'm off for the summer break - see you all for the start of all this fun again in early August!! :D

Last edited by Jolly Johnny on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Here we go for the last and final time this season! The updated, and finishing, table is below after Saturday's games.

A bit of a flat finish in the end, with a funny set of final day results meaning low scoring overall, and a few people seemingly not bothering to predict in the last couple of weeks after lasting a whole season! Most scores were 0 or 1 but the winning score was 4 points, achieved by Tyldesley Saddler, well done!

In the end, Welsh Saddler, was a comfortable winner, despite a poor last couple of weeks. CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2012-13 PREDICTION LEAGUE CHAMPION!!!! Jockey and derbysaddler ended up joint winners of the Number of Weekly Wins Award, with 7 wins each - well done to you two as well. In the Saigon v Manchester battle... I can't be Arsenal with that one! :wink:

It's been a good season. We've had someone in control leading for ages, then someone catching up and taking the lead and managing to see it through. There's been crazy ultra low scoring weeks and people winning weeks with a perfect 6. And not forgetting those agonising last minute and stoppage time goals that turn 4 points into 2 or 1 point into 3 all of a sudden! Thanks to all of you for taking part and making it such fun (despite some of the OTT, if not thoroughly confusing, banter which will accure penalty points next season!! :wink: ) I'm off for the summer break - see you all for the start of all this fun again in early August!! :D

Well done Welsh. Not looked for many weeks. Glad I didn't get relegated despite not playing half the season. Well done to JJ for all your hard work.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:46 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Well done Welsh. Not looked for many weeks. Glad I didn't get relegated despite not playing half the season. Well done to JJ for all your hard work.

Cheers Steve. Been good to do it!
Not been the same without you mate! :( Come back next season! :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed May 01, 2013 3:48 am

OH YES*

I'll chuffling HAVE THAT!

Only 2 predictors attaining more points well done Welsh, a top 4 finish for the 5th time in 7 seasons, and above the various selection of miscreants that dared to challenge my supreme authority! Look upon my works, ye mighty - and despair!

:D :D :D

* Please note that a more cogent and lucid evaluation will be attempted later, but I am overcome by the pungent stench of my own relative success jizz!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed May 01, 2013 4:03 am

Manchester - now 5-2, with FOUR back to back triumphs on the run! :D
One for each of the euthused and emotionally-charged backing singers on this great celebration track. Observe the lead singer jumping and prancing about exactly as I'm doing right now in my massive room. Except I am completely naked and I am scaring the neighbours. To hell with the neighbours! Watch my massive prance! :D :wink:
Aldridge - I have spiritually crushed you. 8)

My light shines on!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKFYtUJFYVE[/youtube]

:arrow: WHOOOP! :idea:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed May 01, 2013 10:27 am

Yet again I beat Saigon on points per round. This is becoming tiresome.

Congrats to Welsh on being this year's success in an unusual prediction season! Iechydd da and all that Max Boyce class! :D

(fixed that for you...) :wink:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed May 01, 2013 11:58 am

Exile wrote:Yet again I beat Saigon on points per round. This is becoming tiresome.

Congrats to Welsh on being this year's success in an unusual prediction season! Iechydd da and all that Max Boyce class! :D

The sheep lover is correct, of course.

If you look at the REAL table you will see that I finished WAAAAAYYYYYYYYY above Saigon and King Crimson.

The real table speaks volumes.

And yes, it is tiresome, especially reading the bilge that pours forth from Saigon's keyboard.

:mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed May 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Exile wrote:Yet again I beat Saigon on points per round. This is becoming tiresome.

(fixed that for you...) :wink:

Welsh, when will you learn that the quote button is to the right of the edit button! :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed May 01, 2013 11:21 pm

The emoticons on offer don't begin to describe the degree of smugness currently emanating from South Wales....

What can one say about Saigon's skill and showing this season? "Sigh....Gone" is about the nearest I'll get to describing it. :D

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Thu May 02, 2013 7:23 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:The emoticons on offer don't begin to describe the degree of smugness currently emanating from South Wales....

What can one say about Saigon's skill and showing this season? "Sigh....Gone" is about the nearest I'll get to describing it. :D

Alright - alright - Mr Welshman.

Enough public gloating!

Might I suggest that you restrict your gloating to spamming Saigon Saddler with endless PM's?

By the way, well done you lucky so and so ...

:D :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 am

Yes. Well done ewe.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu May 02, 2013 11:57 am

I feel a bit sheepish now... :oops:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu May 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:I feel a bit sheepish now... :oops:

That's what you get when you keep ramming the point.

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:OH YES*

I'll chuffling HAVE THAT!

Multiple predictors attaining more points
well done Welsh!
I was stuffed for the 6th time in 7 seasons!
Look upon my works, ye mighty - and laugh!
:D :D :D

*Please note that a more cogent and lucid evaluation is impossible for my limited intellect

In the words of Exile: "fixed that for you"

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue May 07, 2013 10:31 am

:D saved me a lot of effort.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed May 08, 2013 3:27 pm

What the...?

I appear entering a brief and rare moment of cogent lucidity...

Jolly Johnny deserves a massive helping of thanks for the sterling efforts in providing prompt and consistent table updates - as well as dealing with the usual selection mewing idiots, mostly emminating from an address circulating around the lower Vietnam/Thailand area *cough*. Perhaps people were on holiday there. :D
>
Welsh Saddler bestrides the table like a colossus and all beneath him quake in fear following an epic win that looked unlikely until a few months ago. The king is dead - long live the king! :!:
>
I was lucky to finish above Manchester. Ignore that bit.
>
Many thanks to all participants! And again to JJ!

Bah. :mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics