Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (H) League 1 Saturday 6/4/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Re: Sheffield United (H) League 1 Saturday 6/4/13.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:43 pm

PT wrote:
aaaae wrote:

Oh what a shame! Chin up son, it's a team game. Keeper could have saved it, other defenders could have been quicker to the ball on the line etc etc.

I agree. Good to see the honesty, but there's loads of reasons we didn't win that game. Coming into a game like that on that pitch is really difficult especially at only seconds notice. Learn a bit and move on - no blame at all.

Agree, good to see he's honest and knows that some blame lies with him, but he'd only just come on and had little time to adapt to the tempo of the game, so his mistake - not tracking and closing down their guy as he cut inside - but hopefully he'll learn from it. There was an element of luck about the goal too, the ball could have come back off the post instead of heading off along the goal line and then coming back off the other post - might even have missed the other post and gone beyond the goal before Porter got to it - so many things might have been different about it. And of course, if we'd put away one or two of those other "easy" chances, it wouldn't have mattered if we'd given 'em one.

I was happy just to see Brandy, Baxendale & Co absolutely scaring the SheffU players to death with their pace, movement, ball control and trickery, and making a so-called big club look positively second-best against our superior brand of football.

They were lucky to go away with a point, and they know it.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 pm

I wouldnt say lucky Geoff, we won the first, they won the second. About even id say, we had the better chances yes, but i thought they controlled most the second half.(Albeit 15 foot off the ground :| )

We should have made them pay from the breakaways though. :?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:02 pm

latviancheese wrote:I wouldnt say lucky Geoff, we won the first, they won the second. About even id say, we had the better chances yes, but i thought they controlled most the second half.(Albeit 15 foot off the ground :| )

We should have made them pay from the breakaways though. :?

I do wonder what game you watched, you must have had your negative head on, to much gin or somet.

Fair enough, we never got a grip of the game after they scored, and it was a fortunate goal to say the least. Even the Sheff United fans coming out the ground were more excited by our football than their own side. It didn't reach the heights of the Coventry game with the score line, but I thought we played equally as well. Sheff United aren't at the top of the league for no reason. We need to get our pitch in some kind of decent state for next season, I have no doubt at all it has cost us points. That racecourse suited them down to the ground, all though not literally.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:36 pm

When you see the replay of Brandy's miss in the first half, you realise what a golden chance it was - he really should have scored.

As I said before though, if he put every one of his chances away, he wouldn't be playing for us. Six goals and a fair few assists and penalty wins isn't a bad return for someone we plucked from obscurity in the summer.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 pm

I think winning a penalty counts as an assist doesn't it ?

Anyway apart from the goals, and assists, he offers so much more than that. He is a constant menace to opponents they are scared to death of him. He is a big part of the wonderful system we have now. With the spine of our side being very solid now, it allows the attacking players to go off and do their stuff. We are likely to lose Brandy in the summer, but the core of this squad gives me hope we will be tough to beat again next season. We will need to replace Brandy with someone who offers a real attacking threat though, if we are to be as good as we are right now.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:14 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I think winning a penalty counts as an assist doesn't it ?

Anyway apart from the goals, and assists, he offers so much more than that. He is a constant menace to opponents they are scared to death of him. He is a big part of the wonderful system we have now. With the spine of our side being very solid now, it allows the attacking players to go off and do their stuff. We are likely to lose Brandy in the summer, but the core of this squad gives me hope we will be tough to beat again next season. We will need to replace Brandy with someone who offers a real attacking threat though, if we are to be as good as we are right now.

I agree. If there's one thing to come from this season, it's Dean Smith's successful adoption of a system that really gets the best from his players, and vice-versa. The key now is keeping as many of our current squad as we can, to make sure we don't have to alter that system over the summer or part way through next season.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:28 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

I agree. If there's one thing to come from this season, it's Dean Smith's successful adoption of a system that really gets the best from his players, and vice-versa. The key now is keeping as many of our current squad as we can, to make sure we don't have to alter that system over the summer or part way through next season.

...and where we have to, replace like with like so we get players who can fit into our system - those who have the right 'DNA'... Doesn't matter if they're from Hereford or Man U as long as they can trap, pass and move rather than aimlessly lump it long and high.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:54 am

Exile wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

...and where we have to, replace like with like so we get players who can fit into our system - those who have the right 'DNA'... Doesn't matter if they're from Hereford or Man U as long as they can trap, pass and move rather than aimlessly lump it long and high.

On his brief cameo on Satruday, Sawyer is another. I think Smith is working to a pattern

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Re: Sheffield United (H) League 1 Saturday 6/3/13.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 am

longdogs wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:I've a feeling we'll be without both Butler and Brandy, for the next two.

Steve Madeley from the E&S reckons they're both now on 9 bookings.

Correct

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:05 am

aaaae wrote:The pitch, the pitch, the effing pitch! It was perfect for Sheffield's team of hoofers. It really needs to be sorted out in the closed season, because it is costing us points. Having said that we could have had this game sewn up if our finishing was just a tad better. Perhaps with a fit Grigg in the team we would have won, but it's all if and buts.

I keep thinking we are done, but I couldn't believe the league table when I looked at it after the game. We're still in there, just, but we are relying on Tranmere and Swindon both blowing up now.

Good grief, this is bad, I'm being reduced to supporting MK Dons on Tuesday night.

Can't blame the pitch for Brandy missing 3 good chances.Did the pitch play a part in our 4-0 drubbing of Coventry? So yes, we CAN play on our pitch.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:06 am

gerryhatrick wrote:
longdogs wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:I've a feeling we'll be without both Butler and Brandy, for the next two.

I'm going by the official Football League stat which, now updated,
shows both players having amassed ten yellows.

Our programme says Brandy had 8 before Saturday's game.Andy Poole is rarely wrong.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:21 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:
longdogs wrote:

I'm going by the official Football League stat which, now updated,
shows both players having amassed ten yellows.

Our programme says Brandy had 8 before Saturday's game.Andy Poole is rarely wrong.

The FA says we have none one card away from a ban - but they might not be updated from Saturday yet

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:51 am

Butler and Brandy are both one away according to the FA website.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... uspensions

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Not been mentioned anywhere so assume they arent suspended.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:01 pm

This pleases me. Pleases me very much.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:04 pm

I hope not cause we should really dick all over the last 3 games, but Scunny the trickiest for me.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:56 pm

They're all tricky, by the time we play Bury they might be already down so the pressure will be off them and they will probably play the best they've played all season :roll: teams who have nothing to play for normally prove the most dangerous.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:59 pm

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Exile wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

On his brief cameo on Satruday, Sawyer is another. I think Smith is working to a pattern

Agreed. Considering he probably only touched the ball three times, those three touches weren't half bad. His movement was good too, as was the flick through to Paterson as we looked to grab one on the break at the end.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:55 am

I think Hemmings CAN be a suitable replacement for Brandy, not as direct but he has bucked his ideas up recently.

Weather he will is a different story.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:34 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:I think Hemmings CAN be a suitable replacement for Brandy, not as direct but he has bucked his ideas up recently.

Whatever was wrong in the middle of the season is over, as he looks more like the player from the first half dozen games, when he was our most potent attacker. The difference may be as simple as him having been given reign to run at people, which he didn't seem to have during the bad run.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:42 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Aldridge_saddler wrote:I think Hemmings CAN be a suitable replacement for Brandy, not as direct but he has bucked his ideas up recently.

Whatever was wrong in the middle of the season is over, as he looks more like the player from the first half dozen games, when he was our most potent attacker. The difference may be as simple as him having been given reign to run at people, which he didn't seem to have during the bad run.

Or the fact that he has realised his attitude wasn't getting him anywhere near a first team opportunity and the realisation that maybe even he has to actually try when he gets the chance. Whatever the reason he has looked lively when he has come on in recent weeks and hopefully he can make a useful contribution in the run in and then push on to make more effective use of the talent he undoubtedly has.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Or the fact that he has realised his attitude wasn't getting him anywhere near a first team opportunity and the realisation that maybe even he has to actually try when he gets the chance. Whatever the reason he has looked lively when he has come on in recent weeks and hopefully he can make a useful contribution in the run in and then push on to make more effective use of the talent he undoubtedly has.

He can definately make an impact if his attitude is right.

Wow be as good as Brandy though... not many are to be fair though at this level.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 am

Be good if he turns into a footballer instead of a swag fag. YOLO really means something.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am

Anyone seen any pics of the Tile Choice stand on Saturday? We be good to see it full.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:08 pm

aaaae wrote:Anyone seen any pics of the Tile Choice stand on Saturday? We be good to see it full.

Image mmmmm

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:49 pm

latviancheese wrote:
aaaae wrote:Anyone seen any pics of the Tile Choice stand on Saturday? We be good to see it full.

Image mmmmm

You got one of the other side? I want to look for myself. :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:27 pm

i nicked that off Facebook. Search for Kghotshots photography

Glitterati

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:41 pm

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Good foto 1933. Nice to see it relatively full for a change.

You can see us in Block 6 blocking the gangway, according to the stewards this is obviously dangerous, presumably in case anyone wanted to escape through a brick wall in case of an emergancy :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season