Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.

Is it right to stand up in the Tile Choice Lower Stand?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Yes, it doesn't matter how I effect other supporters I should be allowed to stand.
53%
No, its unfair to other paying ticket holders to have their view restricted or force them to stand.
47%

Total votes : 66
mrgoose

STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:08 pm

This is an appeal for all those Saddlers fans who chose to stand up in the middle section of the Tile Chice Lower Stand. If you are one of these fans can you please have some consideration for those of us behind whose view is obscured by you before standing up the entire match. I know you stand up because "you love Walsall" but some of us would actually like to see Walsall at home. I'm not saying you have to sit all the match, but it would be nice to, as in the words of Dean Smith see some "bums on seats" at the Bescot rather than see some bums in the way of the Super Saddlers. Please support my appeal and allow some of the really neglected and vulnerable season ticket holders at the back of the stand, see the Saddlers score some goals and pick up three points. I will update on how the appeal is going after the next home match, but it is my aim to allow as many as 3,000+ Walsall supporters see an unrestricted view of a Saddlers match.
Last edited by mrgoose on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Re: STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:14 pm

I'm sorry but I disagree with this. Out of the three home ends there is one/two blocks that stand up. If you're not happy then there's pleanty of other free seats where you can happily sit and watch the game. You know very well that the people these blocks persistently stand, so why buy your season tickets there and then moan?

Unless this is taking the mickey, if so, I'll happily accept my whoosh

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:19 pm

would have to agree with this as paying good money to see the back off heads. if people want to stand perhaps they should put them in the away end. also its terms and conditions of the season ticket/ticket that you must sit in the seat other you will be ejected. so please be more considerate of young children and elderly people who can't stand for long periods and take your seats

mrgoose

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Wyrley_saddler I disagree with your comments which i find quite uneducated. Firstly I have had the same seat for many years, I would imagine longer than the, lets call them standups and don't see why I should move to accommodate them, why don't they move somewhere else, For you to have the same matchday experience please pm your seat number and I will arrange for somebody to come and restict your view for 90 minutes to see how you like a restricted view.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:42 pm

mrgoose wrote:Wyrley_saddler I disagree with your comments which i find quite uneducated. Firstly I have had the same seat for many years, I would imagine longer than the, lets call them standups and don't see why I should move to accommodate them, why don't they move somewhere else, For you to have the same matchday experience please pm your seat number and I will arrange for somebody to come and restict your view for 90 minutes to see how you like a restricted view.

Why are my comments uneducated just because you disagree with them? I have been attending games for a fair few years, maybe not as many as you as I'm only 19, but for as long as I can remember parts of the lower F2G have stood up. Through some of the not so good times, there has been times when people haven't bothered, but in general they have. I understand your point of view but the question would be, where do you move the 'stand ups'? Moving them to the away end would mean liaising with the stadium manager and police to ensure it was from a safety point of view, viable. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before and rejected. As for my seat, I don't have a 'regular' seat as I work Saturdays and I attend when I can depending on what time I finish work.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:43 pm

I agree with this post. Why do people think they have the right to stand in front of other paying spectators. Do they stand up at the cinema too? Until they re-introduce standing areas be fair to others and sit down.

I went to the Shrewsbury match with my eight year old and got stuck behind two rows of lads who insisted on standing up. He couldn't see a blinking thing for most to of the match. I don't think I would have had much joy in getting the two rows in front of me to sit down if I'd asked them. We couldn't move as there were no other seats available.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:46 pm

Another reason fr the club to do some work on how the crowd works at home. Allocating a singer section would be a start. Turning a blind eye to standing in that section a plus.

Meanwhile, as ths thread demonstrates, you can't make everyone happy by doing nothing.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Absolute "non-issue". So much so that I can't help feeling that this is a whoosh appeal.

Anyone with any kind of feel for football fan culture will understand that home teams have always had an "end" where there most vocal contingent will gather. If someone had chosen to stand at the back of the street-end and requested that people stop pushing he'd have got the short shrift he deserved that would have gone along the lines of "well stand somewhere else then". The shrift would have been right. There were plenty of other places to stand with an equally good view. Similarly, we have around 7 - 8,000 empty seats at Bescot so "sit somewhere else then".

The lads and lasses who inhabit the two blocks in question try their hardest to create some kind of atmosphere at Bescot deserve credit and our thanks. If they wanna stand and aren't doing so dangerously, then let them.

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Exile wrote:Another reason fr the club to do some work on how the crowd works at home. Allocating a singer section would be a start. Turning a blind eye to standing in that section a plus.

Meanwhile, as ths thread demonstrates, you can't make everyone happy by doing nothing.

quite right turning a blind eye to standing in that section will only lead to problems. and where will these fans go when the council take the safety certificate for that stand away due to them spoiling it for others for the sake of standing.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:03 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:
Exile wrote:Another reason fr the club to do some work on how the crowd works at home. Allocating a singer section would be a start. Turning a blind eye to standing in that section a plus.

quite right turning a blind eye to standing in that section will only lead to problems. and where will these fans go when the council take the safety certificate for that stand away due to them spoiling it for others for the sake of standing.

By that logic they would also have to take the safety certificate away for the away end(s) too and every single council authority it the country would have to do the same. In short, it would never happen

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:03 pm

PT wrote:Absolute "non-issue". So much so that I can't help feeling that this is a whoosh appeal.

Anyone with any kind of feel for football fan culture will understand that home teams have always had an "end" where there most vocal contingent will gather. If someone had chosen to stand at the back of the street-end and requested that people stop pushing he'd have got the short shrift he deserved that would have gone along the lines of "well stand somewhere else then". The shrift would have been right. There were plenty of other places to stand with an equally good view. Similarly, we have around 7 - 8,000 empty seats at Bescot so "sit somewhere else then".

The lads and lasses who inhabit the two blocks in question try their hardest to create some kind of atmosphere at Bescot deserve credit and our thanks. If they wanna stand and aren't doing so dangerously, then let them.

Feel some sympathy for the starter of the thread, but I agree with the above. In the end, the atmosphere at Bescot is dreadful and if the atmosphere is improved by unofficially regarding the central 2 blocks in the asbo as standing, then it is worth it. Sorry mate, but you may need to shift seats.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:I agree with this post. Why do people think they have the right to stand in front of other paying spectators. Do they stand up at the cinema too? Until they re-introduce standing areas be fair to others and sit down.

I went to the Shrewsbury match with my eight year old and got stuck behind two rows of lads who insisted on standing up. He couldn't see a blinking thing for most to of the match. I don't think I would have had much joy in getting the two rows in front of me to sit down if I'd asked them. We couldn't move as there were no other seats available.

The game has absolutely gone, if we're suggesting that football fans should behave in the same way that cinema-goers do. The problem with bescot is that too many DO behave like they would at the pictures.

On Shrewsbury away, again if you have a feel for football culture it was obvious what sort of following we'd take. There was a long debate on here with me and King Crimson being painted as Trappist Monks because we didn't fancy taking our sons to this fixture. Another poster, Chris I think it was, disagreed and sees games and atmospheres like that as part of life's rich tapestry and education for his son. Absolutely fair enough. But we all knew what it was going to be like - big police presence and a rowdy and drink-fuelled following. I'm gob-smacked by your outrage and apparent surprise at what you experienced. Is this your first season following us?

Anyway, I agree with you that the best way to sort this is to re-introduce standing.

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
kpritchard05 wrote:

By that logic they would also have to take the safety certificate away for the away end(s) too and every single council authority it the country would have to do the same. In short, it would never happen

unfortunately they would shut just one stand as it would be breaking health and safety laws, it always helps to have people in the right deparmentsat the council

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:27 pm

PT wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:I agree with this post. Why do people think they have the right to stand in front of other paying spectators. Do they stand up at the cinema too? Until they re-introduce standing areas be fair to others and sit down.

The game has absolutely gone, if we're suggesting that football fans should behave in the same way that cinema-goers do. The problem with bescot is that too many DO behave like they would at the pictures.

On Shrewsbury away, again if you have a feel for football culture it was obvious what sort of following we'd take. There was a long debate on here with me and King Crimson being painted as Trappist Monks because we didn't fancy taking our sons to this fixture. Another poster, Chris I think it was, disagreed and sees games and atmospheres like that as part of life's rich tapestry and education for his son. Absolutely fair enough. But we all knew what it was going to be like - big police presence and a rowdy and drink-fuelled following. I'm gob-smacked by your outrage and apparent surprise at what you experienced. Is this your first season following us?

Anyway, I agree with you that the best way to sort this is to re-introduce standing.

May i ask where you sit at home games & how much you paid for your season ticket PT? & also how would you feel if your son couldn't see the match after paying good money to watch matches?

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:28 pm

ds,how do you compare a football match to the cinema ? thank god we do have some standers/singers or else it would be like the cinema :roll: theres always the oap stand

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:31 pm

As per the Shrewsbury thread, I'm with PT.

There are thousands of empty seats, hundreds of empty rows. I have some sympathy away from home when folks who - for whatever reason - don't or can't stand for the ninety get to see chuff all if they are in the wrong place, with limited scope to move seats. At home, it's easy.

I'd have more sympathy too if this seat in question had been handed down from father to son for generations, like some at Anfield or St James Park. But the TilesWhatever Stand hardly has such a history and thus seats are just.... seats, aren't they?

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:34 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:
PT wrote:

May i ask where you sit at home games & how much you paid for your season ticket PT? & also how would you feel if your son couldn't see the match after paying good money to watch matches?

I don't see how price is relevant? I paid £17.50 to get in today, you pay less per game because you have a season ticket. Does that mean my opinion is more valid than yours as I paid more? Is yours more valid because you possess a season ticket?

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:38 pm

I stand but then i'm right at the back by the wall so it makes no odds. I can sympathise with the thread starter and to be fair if someone's view is blocked then the standers should sit.

it is however yet another thing that dilutes the fun of games these days. As someone above said it is as though football is akin to going to the cinema and hence the lack of atmosphere and awful fans we have at home games, most of who barely raise a smile when we play. I know everyone has the right to sit where they like but why not go to the old folks stand, or the upper tier, if you want a seat and a bit of quiet while you watch the game?

As I say, if someones view is blocked then yes people should sit down, but it is exactly that kind of thing that has made the Bescot a morgue.

if you're in the Tile Choice Lower and want to stand then come to the back, near the middle. Everyone there is sound and stands (and are happy to) so noone will care.

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:41 pm

just when there's a decent atmosphere being created at the bescot........ :roll: im sorry but my personal view is , there is standing in 1 / 1 and a half blocks and thousands of other seats where you could clearly see sitting down. people moan about bescot being a library and also say 'back in the days of fellows park' 'it's changed since they ripped the terracing off at the bescot' etc etc i think its a good thing there theres some kind of standing section , and if i had to sit down with it being quiet all game , i'd probably stop going. i dont get why someone couldnt just move up 10 seats?

i can see whats going to happen now at every game being hounded by the stewards , forced to sit and being treated like kids at school. there should be a vote just in block 4 who wants to stand and who doesnt.
with all due respect. ridiculous post.

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:49 pm

also , the way the 'poll' is worded is biased

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Not going to lie, nearly cracked a fella in block 1 today telling me to sit, was very close. Back row too, I know why I used to stay in block 4 now, too much aggro about.

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 pm

The following acts are arrestable offences under the Football (Offences) Act 1991, as amended:

Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress.Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.

& also:

The Club reserves absolutely the right to eject from the Ground any person failing to comply with any of the Ground Regulations or whose presence within the Ground is, or could, reasonably be construed as constituting a source of danger, nuisance or annoyance to any other person.This could lead to further action by the Club including, but not limited to, the withdrawal of any season ticket (without reimbursement) and other benefits.

Entry to the Ground shall constitute acceptance of the Ground Regulations.

Hope the police are around at the next game as they can start to either eject/arrest some of these people who persist to stand & about time the club starts taking action against these people who fail to comply with the ground regulations as by coming in your all comply to these rules!!

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 pm

kshammer wrote:I stand but then i'm right at the back by the wall so it makes no odds. I can sympathise with the thread starter and to be fair if someone's view is blocked then the standers should sit.

it is however yet another thing that dilutes the fun of games these days. As someone above said it is as though football is akin to going to the cinema and hence the lack of atmosphere and awful fans we have at home games, most of who barely raise a smile when we play. I know everyone has the right to sit where they like but why not go to the old folks stand, or the upper tier, if you want a seat and a bit of quiet while you watch the game?

As I say, if someones view is blocked then yes people should sit down, but it is exactly that kind of thing that has made the Bescot a morgue.

if you're in the Tile Choice Lower and want to stand then come to the back, near the middle. Everyone there is sound and stands (and are happy to) so noone will care.

are you quite happy to pay for the extra so all fans who can't see can move to these areas??

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:04 pm

[post moderated - contravenes AUP and site rules on too many points]

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:05 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:The following acts are arrestable offences under the Football (Offences) Act 1991, as amended:

Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress.Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.

& also:

The Club reserves absolutely the right to eject from the Ground any person failing to comply with any of the Ground Regulations or whose presence within the Ground is, or could, reasonably be construed as constituting a source of danger, nuisance or annoyance to any other person.This could lead to further action by the Club including, but not limited to, the withdrawal of any season ticket (without reimbursement) and other benefits.

Hope the police are around at the next game as they can start to either eject/arrest some of these people who persist to stand & about time the club starts taking action against these people who fail to comply with the ground regulations as by coming in your all comply to these rules!!

Therefore the police would have to remove 99% of block 3 as well as most the away end. I'm sure that would go down well and not cause any bother what so ever. Common sense prevail once again

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:06 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Post moderated

Nawtee.

Aim for behind the goal... you should be ok there. I'm at the back with my mate and everyone round me stands, as do many in the row down and so on.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:07 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:May I ask where you sit and how much you paid for your season ticket PT? & also how would you feel if your son couldn't see the match after paying good money to watch matches?

Upstairs in the middle on the second row (mainly), buts occassionally; upstairs on the front row in the middle, upstairs at the back on the right, upstairs in the middle in the middle, upstairs on the front to the left a bit, upstairs at the back of the front in the middle, on the top right hand corner of the white W and maybe a few others.

It's all about the upstairs for me. :D But the point is that I'm not actually nailed to any partcular seat. There's loads of empty ones so me and the boy do move about up there -it used to be because he got bored so a change of scenery was good- but now it's more about a different perspective if we can't get seats to sit near his grandad which to be honest is rare these days.

Haven't had a season ticket for a couple of years now, not that when I had one I felt compelled to sit in the seat allocated, since my lad started playing himself so do about 12 homes and 12 aways each season at present (these Sunday games have been a boon this season!)

Your last question about how I'd feel if he couldn't see is absolutely moot. That has never happened and never will. Firstly because Bescot offers up a vast array of seating possibilities that means we can move about. There's always a seat nearby with a view. Secondly, at away games we often have a sea of seats and a piss-poor support that means again he can always see (there's a good picture on the official facebook site of us both at Bury this season - about six rows to ourselves!). On the rare occasion when I know that the nature of our away support will change a la Shrewsbury, he doesn't come and to be honest I don't complain because I enjoy an ale, a stand-up and a sing at the welsh as much as the next man :wink:

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:12 pm

PT wrote:
kpritchard05 wrote:May I ask where you sit and how much you paid for your season ticket PT? & also how would you feel if your son couldn't see the match after paying good money to watch matches?

Upstairs in the middle on the second row (mainly), buts occassionally; upstairs on the front row in the middle, upstairs at the back on the right, upstairs in the middle in the middle, upstairs on the front to the left a bit, upstairs at the back of the front in the middle, on the top right hand corner of the white W and maybe a few others.

It's all about the upstairs for me. :D But the point is that I'm not actually nailed to any partcular seat. There's loads of empty ones so me and the boy do move about up there -it used to be because he got bored so a change of scenery was good- but now it's more about a different perspective if we can't get seats to sit near his grandad which to be honest is rare these days.

Haven't had a season ticket for a couple of years now, not that when I had one I felt compelled to sit in the seat allocated, since my lad started playing himself so do about 12 homes and 12 aways each season at present (these Sunday games have been a boon this season!)

Your last question about how I'd feel if he couldn't see is absolutely moot. That has never happened and never will. Firstly because Bescot offers up a vast array of seating possibilities that means we can move about. There's always a seat nearby with a view. Secondly, at away games we often have a sea of seats and a piss-poor support that means again he can always see (there's a good picture on the official facebook site of us both at Bury this season - about six rows to ourselves!). On the rare occasion when I know that the nature of our away support will change a la Shrewsbury, he doesn't come and to be honest I don't complain because I enjoy an ale, a stand-up and a sing at the welsh as much as the next man :wink:

so really you can not see my point of view as we have to put up with it every home match and as you haven't experienced my view then that is rather wrong of you to tell me to move as i'm not the one who is actually spoiling it for many fans, and i'm sure they can make an atmosphere in the ground but do they really need to stand up to create an atmosphere??

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:13 pm

what a shame this comes on the same day we've had our highest home attendance more months and now people are threatening with posts about being arrested. pathetic. block 4 is where people stand , i go there to stand because people stand there , if i wanted to sit , i'd sit in block 1 , 2 , 3 , 5 , 6 F2G upper (any block) , Five rivers (any block) , fellows stand(any block).

i guarantee if everyone was forced to sit at the game , and they would have to enforce it to everyone who stands at the very back all along the top row , attendances would drop. its football not tennis ffs

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:The following acts are arrestable offences under the Football (Offences) Act 1991, as amended:

& also:

An that post sums up the state of modern football and our current fans.

Whilst I (and others) go to games, shout, sing, enjoy the football and realise football stadiums are not theatres, you are quoting ground regulations.

Oh dear. :roll:

Next
Return to You Said That Then