Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

First Walsall game?

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
stout_pooh

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:01 am

Walsall 2 Stockport 1 - first match of 79/80 season. I think a guy called Jimmy Kelly scored the winner - I may be wrong - someone may enlighten me.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:26 am

Walsall 0 - Tranmere 0
January 1978

I went to the ground to buy a ticket for the Leicester FA Cup game, but they were only selling the tickets inside the ground (Bonser's missed a trick there!), so I had to pay to get in to the Tranny game.

The team, from memory:

Kearns, Macken, Caswell, Harrison, Serella, Evans, Birch, Bates, Wood, Buckley, King

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:55 am

can't remember at, all I know was it was 80/81 season, and I was bored. Dad was getting pist of with me as I wouldn't sit still. Had seats in the old wooden stand at Fellows park. All that sticks out in my memory was that I remember people eating food, so I sent my old man down the kiosk to get me some chips, and he came back and said they doe sell em. Here's a pie.

At the end of the match, quite a few fans ran onto the pitch, and I really wanted to follow them. Dad told me I wasn't allowed. I ran down the steps to the front of the stand and couldn't get down to the terracing in front. (Stand was pre-fire safety escapes at front of seats). Couldn't really get onto pitch either if I'd made it down to the terrace. Some of the terracing and Walls at the front were very high compared to the 3 foot wall surrounding the pitch at Bescot!

From the match, seemed to walk for ever allong the Broadway to my Nans that was opposite Steve Thomsons Garage (By the shops and Eastend Balti)

Was froze, so my Nan made me a Beef & Tomato cuppa soup!!!

Ahh Fond memories.

Wish I could bloody remember who we played on that day!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Smithywfc
UTS Regular

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:14 am

Ok i aint been a saddler as long as you lot, first match was in the 03/04 relegation season, vs wimbeldon. 1-0 with a Neil Emblen strikers finish. Every other game i went to in that season they lost apart from rotherham. Ipswich 3-1, Burnley 1-0, Sheff utd 1-0, nd palace away 1-0. I aint saw the most succesfull times as a saddler, but ive still stuck with em!

Red Leader

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:48 am

not sure as I was only 9 but i think it was 1987/88 season and i think it was against brentford and I think it was 4-2 with David kelly scoring.

Can anyone confirm whether this sounds right?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:28 pm

Red Leader wrote:not sure as I was only 9 but i think it was 1987/88 season and i think it was against brentford and I think it was 4-2 with David kelly scoring.

Saturday March 5th 1988

Walsall 4 2 Brentford

Walsall scorers:-
Trevor Christie, Richard O'Kelly, Graeme Forbes and Paul Jones (penalty)

Greg WP

Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:42 pm

poo poo mr wrote:can't remember at, all I know was it was 80/81 season, and I was bored. Dad was getting pist of with me as I wouldn't sit still. Had seats in the old wooden stand at Fellows park. All that sticks out in my memory was that I remember people eating food, so I sent my old man down the kiosk to get me some chips, and he came back and said they doe sell em. Here's a pie.

At the end of the match, quite a few fans ran onto the pitch, and I really wanted to follow them. Dad told me I wasn't allowed. I ran down the steps to the front of the stand and couldn't get down to the terracing in front. (Stand was pre-fire safety escapes at front of seats). Couldn't really get onto pitch either if I'd made it down to the terrace. Some of the terracing and Walls at the front were very high compared to the 3 foot wall surrounding the pitch at Bescot!

From the match, seemed to walk for ever allong the Broadway to my Nans that was opposite Steve Thomsons Garage (By the shops and Eastend Balti)

Was froze, so my Nan made me a Beef & Tomato cuppa soup!!!

Ahh Fond memories.

Wish I could bloody remember who we played on that day!!!!!!!!!!! :(

There as a pitch invasion after we beat Swindon 2-1 that year. I dont recall any others.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:50 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:Nothing from Neil in this thread. I wonder if he could post and just tell us about his teenage memories of Gilbert Alsop? :wink:

Unfortuately not quite that long ago! The reason I hadn't put anything is I don't know! It would have been as a guest in the Director's box (sic) at Fellows Park in 1957/58 season. My Dad was Secretary of the Bloxwich Combination and had been invited along.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:38 pm

2-0 win at Shrewsbury on 19th August 1995. Lightbourne & Stewart with the goals. :D

hodgy for chile

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:55 pm

Vague memory of an early 50's Third South match at Fellow's Park.
Leaning on wooden fence next to touch line in the "family enclosure"
Orvill's Laundry wall to my right.
Steam from passing railway engines further right still giving "atmosphere"
A team including Gordon Chilvers, Harry Haddington, Bill Gutteridge; Tim Rawlings, Albert McPherson, Trevor Billingham [or Billington?]; Brian Taylor, Tony Richards, Jackie Stewart, it may have been Roy Faulkner and another Scottish lad up front, whose name escapes me.
Big crowds...nearly always lost...but still loved it!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:13 pm

CocaCola_Saddlers wrote:My First Game:

Date: 01/05/1999
Venue: Bescot Stadium
Opposition: Oldham Athletic
Score: Walsall 3-1 Oldham Athletic (Wrack, Marsh, Eyjolfsson; Duxbury)

Walsall Line-up: Walker | Marsh | Pointon | Henry | Viveash | Roper | Wrack | Steiner (Eyjolfsson) | Rammell (Green) | Keates (Larusson) | Brissett

Attendance: 9184

Not a bad game for your first eh :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:Have checked. Was 1987.

It was yes, promotion season with Coakley, we beat them 3-2 away in the first leg

One of many wins over Tesco

Tez66

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:37 pm

Reserve friendly against Liverpool 3rd Team. An unknown David Kelly played having signed from Alvechurch not long before.

dingle till i die

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:36 pm

any of the smallsalls fans 1st game when jimmy walker kicked fresh air and let george ndah SMACK the winner in :oops:

cmon boys and girls im waiting for the obvious response :lol:

Joe90
Glitterati

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:51 pm

You're not worth wasting my time on, although I could mention a certain sunny afternoon in Wulferhampton, which was the first time a mate of mine had seen the Saddlers.
Tony Barras. Andy Rammell.
Oh happy memories...

dingle till i die

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:54 pm

Joe90 wrote:You're not worth wasting my time on, although I could mention a certain sunny afternoon in Wulferhampton, which was the first time a mate of mine had seen the Saddlers.
Tony Barras. Andy Rammell.
Oh happy memories...

:lol: thank you sadloser for the obvious answer or may i call you joseph :lol:

Joe90
Glitterati

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:55 pm

Thank you for setting me up with the line so well.
Joseph? I think that's going to stick.

Nobo the fish god

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:42 pm

My first Walsall game was Season 1978-79 21st October at home against Plymouth
Walsall won 2-1 Buckley and Sbragia got the goals. But we finished 22nd in the league
and we when down that season. but we came back up the next season.
and its been the same ever since up down up down thats whats its like
when you watch the saddlers. still i would not have it any other way.

Nobo the fish god

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:51 pm

stout_pooh wrote:Walsall 2 Stockport 1 - first match of 79/80 season. I think a guy called J
jimmy Kelly scored the winner - I may be wrong - someone may enlighten me.

hello stout pooh yes you are right kelly got the winner and the first goal was scored by
Don Penn. see you sat.

Red Leader

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:21 am

Leamore Saddler wrote:
Red Leader wrote:not sure as I was only 9 but i think it was 1987/88 season and i think it was against brentford and I think it was 4-2 with David kelly scoring.

Saturday March 5th 1988

Walsall 4 2 Brentford

Walsall scorers:-
Trevor Christie, Richard O'Kelly, Graeme Forbes and Paul Jones (penalty)

thanks Leamore I havnt been able to find any past results that far back to confirm whether my memory was right

...oh happy days

Puddletown Tom

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:49 am

Third game of the play off final in 1988. Me and my mates has queued for hours to try and get tickets for the first game at Fellows Park but they sold out. Fortunately, as it turned out, Walsall contrived to throw away a two goal aggregate lead so there had to be another match to decide who went up. This was before namby pamby penalties decided the game. There was a penalty shoot out but to decide where the game was held. We won, the next game was at Fellows Park and we got tickets (at the massively hiked price of £3.00).

We beat Bristol City 4-1. I fell in love with the club and had my first football hero, David Kelly, who scored a hat-trick (even though it was his last game for the Saddlers). I have been to literally hundreds of games since then. However, my two mates who I went with have never been to another footie game. Strange how the same event can have a different impact on different people!

amazing red

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:11 am

LEYTON ORIENT lost 2nil i think cant remember that well was about nearley 20years ago :roll:

wfc

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:54 pm

mine was at fellows park i was 7 i think

walsall won 4-1 doncaster think it was the year before we went up with coackley

nicky cross trevor christie david kelly peter hart kenny mower all them

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:15 pm

'77, when I was just 4 years old. Can't remember who it was against or score. I do remember I stood in the Laundry end (no segregation in those days!) and my old man lifted me over the turnstile so he didn't have to pay.

:lol: :lol:

newportsaddler

Re: First Walsall game?

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:38 pm

walsall 2-1 preston 03/04 can't remember anything else about it :P

Previous
Return to UTS Classics