Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Smoking ban at Bescot

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...

What do you think?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:13 am

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 83
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:40 pm

:lol: :lol:

Spot on, Geordie! I blame schools!

Hang on. What the hell, I blame Paul Merson! :twisted:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:50 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:Intrested to hear SJ and Geordie are both ex puples of mob lane
i also attended that school between 1968 - 1972 i dare say its way before your time

I don't think it's before SJ's!!

Bit before mine though I was conscripted shortly before the period where Quadrophenia was re-enacted every Friday (co-staring pupils of the former Pelsall Comp), and on trips to Chester Zoo and mid-Wales.

I seem to remember one year at Chester someone stole a live penguin, and another year the Geography field trip ended in a fire - probably smoking related infact.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:08 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:Intrested to hear SJ and Geordie are both ex puples of mob lane
i also attended that school between 1968 - 1972 i dare say its way before your time

I don't think it's before SJ's!!

Bit before mine though I was conscripted shortly before the period where Quadrophenia was re-enacted every Friday (co-staring pupils of the former Pelsall Comp), and on trips to Chester Zoo and mid-Wales.

I seem to remember one year at Chester someone stole a live penguin, and another year the Geography field trip ended in a fire - probably smoking related infact.

happy days i had a few run ins with the lads from shire oak grammer school as it was then

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:37 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
HKSaddler wrote:But I do pay for my own health care in the form of private medical insurance as stated elsewhere in this thread. It is valid world wide and I stated I was a smoker prior to obtaining it so pay a premium on my premium. I also pay taxes to have health care from the HK government. I also pay large taxes in the form of tobacco tax which goes to at least offset any additional costs. I will also die early so the government will pay less in state pension to me (not that HK actually has a state pension scheme worth anything). I will never be a burden on the tax payers of Hong Kong. Now can I sit quietly in my own appartment, on my own, where nobody else lives and having a frigging cigarette in peace? :)

You didn't read what I said. Higher premiums are caused by claims. Claims are caused by illness. Smoking causes illness. Smokers mean everyone with private health insurance pays more.

If you're right, blame the insurance companies, not me. I was open and above board, and have an addition on my premium specifically for being a smoker. Maybe it's different in Hk from the UK, but the increased risk is specifically covered. I smoke, therefore I pay more. If that doesn't cover the additional risk then it's because the insurance industry are a bunch of lieing b'strds.

Exile?

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:37 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
You didn't read what I said. Higher premiums are caused by claims. Claims are caused by illness. Smoking causes illness. Smokers mean everyone with private health insurance pays more.

Not strictly true. Claims are caused by requiring treatment (that is covered under the policy). If I play sports that result in injury or long term damage resulting in treatment (e.g. hip replacement, arthritis) I incur a cost on the policy which inevitably will be transferred onto other policyholders. Is this avenue of pleasure to be banned also?

I don't smoke.

Insurance premiums, both health and life, are actuarially derived, and in both cases you pay a loading for being a smoker, so that you bear the additional cost of your hobby.

As a non-smoker, think of it the other way round, and that you get a rebate. The biggest cost on health insurance policies isn't terminal care, but the cost of newer, more innovative drugs, as produced by the big guys (GSK, Pfizer, Merck etc.) for all sorts of illnesses, mainly those relating to the heart and to cancer (in all it's forms, smoking or otherwise).

If you're a fat b*****d and need a hip replacement because you've been too lazy to look after yourself, the cost is pretty high for something that could have been avoidable with a change in lifestyle, so are you going to surcharge lardbuckets too?

Ban smoking in workplaces (like NZ), and smokers are automatically ostracised from the social component of having a fag, unless, of course, you find out (as they did in Ireland) that all those who wanted to have fun ended up outside instead of in the bar! Smoking isn't outlawed yet, nor should it be, so a little respect for those who choose to indulge wouldn't go amiss. It's a culture thing.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:37 pm

As i say, smoking is completely pointless and deviates from scoial norms of maladaptiveness, therefore abnormal.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:53 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:As i say, smoking is completely pointless and deviates from scoial norms of maladaptiveness, therefore abnormal.

Says the man who thinks space aliens seeded the planet and are on the way to collect us. :roll: :wink:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:55 pm

Exile wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:As i say, smoking is completely pointless and deviates from scoial norms of maladaptiveness, therefore abnormal.

Says the man who thinks space aliens seeded the planet and are on the way to collect us. :roll: :wink:

lmao!

Thats not failing to conform to socio-physical norms though is it :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:57 pm

Exile wrote:Says the man who thinks space aliens seeded the planet and are on the way to collect us. :roll: :wink:

Oh, Exile - you mean they're not!!!!!! I'm devastated! :D :D :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:58 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:
Exile wrote:Says the man who thinks space aliens seeded the planet and are on the way to collect us. :roll: :wink:

Oh, Exile - you mean they're not!!!!!! I'm devastated! :D :D :D

OI! you two , mouths.

There is actually fantastic evidence to back up what I believe, so dont knock til you've tried it, so to speak.

anyway this thread is about smoking being pointless, leave all that for another time :D

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:00 am

Actually the thread is about Bescot being smoke free. I like the new direction of it though. I'd forgotten your belief in space aliens.

If there is no afterlife, does this make life pointless and should we ban it?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:27 am

HKSaddler wrote:Actually the thread is about Bescot being smoke free. I like the new direction of it though. I'd forgotten your belief in space aliens.

If there is no afterlife, does this make life pointless and should we ban it?

Do these aliens smoke? :lol:

Also if there's no afterlife, I might as well try smoking or at least ask for a description of what it's like.......so what is it like?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:06 am

Exile wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Not strictly true. Claims are caused by requiring treatment (that is covered under the policy). If I play sports that result in injury or long term damage resulting in treatment (e.g. hip replacement, arthritis) I incur a cost on the policy which inevitably will be transferred onto other policyholders. Is this avenue of pleasure to be banned also?

I don't smoke.

Insurance premiums, both health and life, are actuarially derived, and in both cases you pay a loading for being a smoker, so that you bear the additional cost of your hobby.

As a non-smoker, think of it the other way round, and that you get a rebate. The biggest cost on health insurance policies isn't terminal care, but the cost of newer, more innovative drugs, as produced by the big guys (GSK, Pfizer, Merck etc.) for all sorts of illnesses, mainly those relating to the heart and to cancer (in all it's forms, smoking or otherwise).

If you're a fat b*****d and need a hip replacement because you've been too lazy to look after yourself, the cost is pretty high for something that could have been avoidable with a change in lifestyle, so are you going to surcharge lardbuckets too?

Ban smoking in workplaces (like NZ), and smokers are automatically ostracised from the social component of having a fag, unless, of course, you find out (as they did in Ireland) that all those who wanted to have fun ended up outside instead of in the bar! Smoking isn't outlawed yet, nor should it be, so a little respect for those who choose to indulge wouldn't go amiss. It's a culture thing.

Excellent post. I was wary commenting on this, knowing your line of work Exile. :wink:

Can I have a rebate for not hang-gliding or dragster racing?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:20 am

KC, my lines of expertise range from large buildings to oil rigs and cargo ships. I couldn't give a monkeys about anybody's life, car, house or contents, but you need a decent theoretical background to function in today's world!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:51 am

Pelsall, it's not because I don't like it, it's because I've had a heart attack and even sitting next to a smoker breathing in their poison could kill me. Now, go and do it somewhere else.

Ace

Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:57 am

You can't please all people all of the time

stufflers

Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:39 am

smoking increases the risk of heart disease, just like eating too many pies.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:14 pm

stufflers wrote:smoking increases the risk of heart disease, just like eating too many pies.

Hello Zippy.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:47 pm

I see you haven't denied it's you Zippy. A bit obvious mate !

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:40 am

WarsawPact wrote:What astonishes me about smoking, is how anyone would actually take it up.

I had a drag on a cigarette once, and I thought it was the second-worst thing I'd ever had in my mouth. :shock:

I couldn't taste anything else for the rest of the weekend.

Dare we ask what the worst thing was?!!!!

Personally I do not like smoking and hate breathing in other people's smoke. I used to work in a pub and would go home at the end of the night stinking of smoke, god only knows how many I smoked second hand and how much harm it did me.

Another thing about some smokers that pi***s me off is when they stand and light up in front of the big notices stating that all of the concourse in the F2G (even though the sign still says purple) stand is a no smoking area. If they are that desparate why don't they go down to the very botom of the steps?

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:21 pm

And the ones that get off a plane and light up before they're even off the walkway, blocking the way out for the rest of us. If you can't bloody go 2 or 3 hours without a fag, then you are seriously sad.

Gutter Press

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:14 pm

Non-smokers who moan about people doing a perfectly legal activity......they wind me up too!!!!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:25 pm

Gutter Press wrote:Non-smokers who moan about people doing a perfectly legal activity......they wind me up too!!!!

Then make it illegal and solve your problem!

Gutter Press

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:42 pm

Why?

railwayender

Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:45 pm

i can sympathise with smokers for i was once someone who could smoke for england, espeically while watching the saddlers icould get through 20 just on a sat afternoon, but after 25 years i managed to give up, i smoked my last fag in the bogs at bramall lane ( fa cup 5th round 3 years ago in feb). now i hate it hate it and hate it.

DFS1888

Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:42 pm

I too am an ex-smoker who used to chain-smoke on many a saturday afternoon - having said that, I am one of the few ex-smokers who it actually doesn't bother (other than the smell on my clothes when I get home!).

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:42 pm

DFS1888 wrote:I too am an ex-smoker who used to chain-smoke on many a saturday afternoon.

I also used to smoke (cigars) on matchdays. Do you think they ought to have a health warning on the match tickets - "Watching Walsall can lead to heavy smoking/drinking and can be bad for your health" ? :lol:

Pity too few of my cigars were celebration cigars :cry:

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:37 am

sj wrote:Cully you're nasty nasty man :lol: You are this boards Mr Punch--a psychopath bereft of feelings for his fellow saddlers.

Saddly Like Dear Geoff you miss my point. Cully this hang um, ban um, punish um position is always the "moral majority" stopping the rest of us doing the stuff we like to do.

Cully my point is about FREEDOM and LIBERTY. Smoking is silly and harmful to all but not as harmful as being told what to , when to do it, and how to do it.

Cully if I want to run with the Bulls or have smoke or whatever- you must allow me to do it.

The populist attitude of restricting this and banning that is the thin end of the wedge of a repressive, sterile society.

Cully dont you see that your attitude (and Geoffs) will lead in the end to that which you hate the most---Yes "The Nanny State. :twisted:

Cully come with me on this one I'm trying to help you, to save you from yourself. Trust me :shock:

Up the raving lefties, freedom for all, liberty, human rites, Revolution!!!!!!!

My arse :lol:

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:52 am

o, and on the subject 8)

this may seem very strange but i absolutely hate sitting or standing next to someone in an open space who is smoking ie: at a football game.
where as if i walk into a pub or nite club then i really dont notice it at all.
id say this is because of perceptions of where i expect to be in contact with smoke.

There may be small no-smoking zones at bescot but shouldnt it really be the other way round? with the none smoking majority having the right to breathe clean fresh air and the smokers having to move seats and be inconvinienced if they want to smoke. i really dont think that the argument to tell people to move if they dont like smoking washes as its not them creating the problem! (however as we all know with this government the minority usually comes out on top, ie: who gave a flying f*** about fox hunting except some raving lefties? yet they waste our time and money gettig the bill passed!)

i dont think that a total ban is right as people should be allowed to smoke if they want to as its their right to kill themselves (this links in with my philosphy on drugs aswell where i think that they should be legal but very highly taxed so that you are paying for your own treatment and death, and it would cut out alot of the illegal drugs trafficking gangs. but thats another story.) however i am highly against other peole having to suffer, so smokers should be moved off to a separate area where they are free to kill themselves and each other, alone.

kevin
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:15 am

Look here you lot......MEDICAL FACT,Smoking is good for you.

"How is that" I here you ask.

Well..........each fag knocks a minute of your life.BUT it takes three minutes to smoke one.So we're gaining,ain't we.

(I might take up this medical lark).

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics