Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Should we have sacked Colin Lee?

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...

should we have sacked Colin Lee?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:26 pm

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes : 46
Lukeyboy
UTS Legend

Should we have sacked Colin Lee?

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:26 pm

No

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:28 pm

can see where this ones going....

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:30 pm

oh my god what type of gimp are you next thing you will be saying bring back colin lee

Lukeyboy
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:31 pm

im just intreasted to see how other walsall fans feel.

Miz Saddler

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:32 pm

We should not have sacked Colin Lee we went down without him so we should have gone down with Colin Lee!

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:36 pm

It was a long time ago now and too many other things have happened. People are slagging off Merson as the worst signing ever on another thread yet wasn't it Lee who bought him here?

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:37 pm

Does anyone care anymore?

What a pointless thread...

Lukeyboy
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:38 pm

Very true!

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:39 pm

Anonymous wrote:Does anyone care anymore?

What a pointless thread...

That was me btw...

Lukeyboy
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:41 pm

the point im trying to make is that when colin lee was in charge some walsall fans were slagging him and now they are slagging merson, so what im trying to say is there any pleasing certain fans on this board?!

Lukeyboy
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:43 pm

by the way jorge im no gimp alright

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:44 pm

I wasn't the guest who called you a gimp, i was the guest who called this thread pointless...

Percie
Glitterati

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:55 pm

:evil: You missed the HELL YES option out of the poll!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:04 pm

not this again.......

big fat yawn

:x

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:06 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: is there any pleasing certain fans on this board?!

In my considered opinion, no there isn't.

:(

Burnside
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:11 pm

The key issues here are

1) We failed to beat 2 of our near relegation rivals that bank holiday weekend, would we have managed to overcome the oppenents with the same kind of performances

2) Having shown an interest in another job at a crucial part of the season, could Colin Lee have asked his players to be 100% commited during the run in and really mean it?

3) The team lost its way after Christmas and the Anti Lee faction was steadily growing. After speaking to Plymouth he will have lost the crowd for the last 4 or 5 games.

The only thing in his favour is would he have squeezed an extra 1 or 2 points out the Norwich, Palace or Sheff United games. I think this is what will swing it.

I say yes he should have been sacked

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:54 pm

Of course we should have not sacked the MOST SUCCESSFUL WALSALL MANAGER EVER. Bad timing, in fact abysmal timing.
We would not have gone down if he would have stayed to the end of season. Losing by 5 goals to Norwich! Cost us our survival.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:22 pm

I think he'd have left anyway,he,d got a decent team together,but could'nt get on with Bonser.wished we had that team now.We would'nt be were we are now.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:01 pm

24 votes and its split right down the middle :shock:

Stonnall_Saddler

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:18 pm

[/quote]

two words STUPID twerp

Stonnall_Saddler

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:23 pm

how do you quote?!?!?!??! :? that was about sheffield STUPID comments once again, losing 5 goal to norwich didnt cost us we wernt good enough!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:25 pm

no

educated

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:02 am

Stonnall_Saddler wrote:how do you quote?!?!?!??! :? that was about sheffield STUPID comments once again, losing 5 goal to norwich didnt cost us we wernt good enough!!!!!!!!

See the quote button, top right of each post? Click it to quote.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:13 am

Stonnall_Saddler wrote:how do you quote?!?!?!??! :? that was about sheffield STUPID comments once again, losing 5 goal to norwich didnt cost us we wernt good enough!!!!!!!!

Whilst it wasn't the only thing, when Merson took over, we were still in the driving seat.

I did say immediately after the Norwich game, that Merson had probably relegated us after his first match. With goal difference being so crucial, his decision to go gung ho at Carrow Road was one of the final nails in the coffin. Later admitted by himself and Neil Emblen.

Sydney Saddler

Hindsight

Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:36 am

The simple answer is no. I was not calling for Lee's head at the time because I was not a card-carrying member of the We Hate Lee Because He Used To Manage Wolves Party. Lee did a good job in the circumstances but not one worthy of Sheffield's fulsome praise. Ray Graydon is Walsall's greatest boss ever. He performed a miracle to get the Saddlers out of the old Division Two in the first instance. That was his finest hour. Chris Nicholl did an excellent job but I cannot help thinking that he inherited a squad capable of securing promotion from the old Division Three. That Kenny Hibbitt did not know what to do with it became clear in the following months. For heaven's sake, how good was Martyn O'Connor at that level? Very good.

Percie
Glitterati

Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:32 pm

I can't see how anyone on the other side of the world can possibly comment.......

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:46 pm

Well i for one didnt agree with the sacking, i think everuone agress it was a very good chance that we would have survived, i think we were too quick to blame lee. it wasnt ALL his fault, some appaling performances by the players along with some ridiculous playing descisions (e.g wackers sending off), i think we forgot that on boxing day we were 6 points off the play offs, thats not the sighn of a bad manger, well, he was our most successful manager of all time.

I think the question to ask is, would lee have been so readily booted out and despised if he hadnt managed the team down the road? Another interesting point is what i asked myself when we were appaling in the first few months of this season, where would we be in this league under colin Lee, i would say play offs at least. Most people in the game talk about giving managers time, maybe we needed one step backward to go 2 steps forward?

And we forget the 'junior' season too readily, i dont think many called for his then if i remember correctly.

But now is Paul Mersons time, lets get behind him, even if we dont agree with (all :) ) of his descisions, i think positvivity is the word for the next few games.

UTS

\M/

Ian Gittins

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:52 pm

Percie wrote:I can't see how anyone on the other side of the world can possibly comment.......

I don't see how anyone from Wednesbury can possibly comment :)

We've been over this argument so many times and both sides are totally entrenched in their view. For what it's worth, I think it was ludicrous to sack Lee, and I think the "fans" who turned on him when we were halfway up the league above this one are largely to blame for our current plight. Lee would have kept us up, then probably moved upstairs to a director of football role where he would have been able to recruit players of a vastly higher quality than Joe Broad, Kofi Dakinah, Richard McKinney at al. If we were to have Merson as boss, at least he'd have had a clued-in figure to turn to for help. In many ways, Colin Lee was moving us forward into a new era; the current clueless regime appears to be taking us nowhere but oblivion.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:56 pm

Totally agree Ian, we are ona dowmward spiral, you know what strikes me the most? the absolute seemingly lack of proffesionalism, it it non-existent. we are looking like a shambles ona nd off the pitch, if we are to keep merson as manager, we need a director of football, because the guy needs help, those two pratts on the sidelines are doin nothing fot this club.

Ian Gittins

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:01 pm

Percie wrote:I can't see how anyone on the other side of the world can possibly comment.......

I don't see how anyone from Wednesbury can possibly comment :)

Except Wednesbury Saddler, of course!

Next
Return to UTS Classics