Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

SOTV

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: SOTV

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 pm

What a fool.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 pm

This really is awful for Midlands football.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:34 pm

That Benteke chap is summat else.

Cant wait for someone else to sign him.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Sunderland down to 9 men.
For some reason,Di Canio decided to start without a goalkeeper.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 pm

6-1.

I feel sick.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Told you they wouldn't go down.

Big club. :idea:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Lovin' it, can't beat seeing Di Canio copping for a good old walloping! :D

Fine performance by Villa tonight, although I think only Sound_out will be agreeing with me on this!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sound_out wrote:Told you they wouldn't go down.

And there you are, right on time! :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:54 pm

Typical "big club" mentality,

They aren't safe yet, we can live in hope.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Grasping at straws a bit now though mate, if you're honest. :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm

King Crimson wrote:6-1.

I feel sick.

I'm lucky that I don't have to really get in contact with the arsehole element of Villa, which is amazing.

But I bet they'll act like they've won every cup in the world tomorrow. Don't go out without a mask tomorrow, the air will be filled with smug.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:01 pm

A very good performance for sure.

That doesnt stop them being utter filth though.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Yes, and while there are straws, I will bloody well grasp at them !

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Courage comrades - this is no time to waiver, we must keep believing.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:51 pm

I'm actually not all that disappointed. I would rather the Wolves go down out of the two this season. Not because I hate Wolves more, in fact they don't even come close to the scummy Villa bastards. However, if Wolves had stayed up, unlikely they would have another season as poor as this season. Villa on the other hand will almost certainly be down there again next season, same old squad, without their main man who will probably sign for one of the top four.

What a huge club Villa are, no trophies, possibly stay up by the skin of their teeth, same again next season lads, lap it up.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Yes, and while there are straws, I will bloody well grasp at them !

You do that mate, I don't blame you one bit. :D

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:05 am

Just because they're a big club doesn't mean they are immune from going down.

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:11 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:

Just because they're a big club doesn't mean they are immune from going down.

I dated a big girl once because she went down all the time!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:39 am

In all honesty I dont mind the Villa.
And I think Lambert is doing a decent job considering the age and inexperience of his squad and not having money to spend.
Not forgetting the players Villa have sold over the last few years as well, I dont think anything but mid/bottom table can be expected.
Whether they can keep the youngsters is a different question though. Its only a matter of time before someone comes in for Benteke.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:43 am

I reckon they'll beat Norwich in the next game and that will be enough.

Would really love that twerp Di Canio and his lot to go down now.

Actually, Wigan to stay up, and Newcastle and Sunderland (those North East super giants) go down. That'll do.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:46 am

kshammer wrote:I reckon they'll beat Norwich in the next game and that will be enough.

Would really love that bowler hat Di Canio and his lot to go down now.

Actually, Wigan to stay up, and Newcastle and Sunderland (those North East super giants) go down. That'll do.

I hope Sunderland stay up, Di Canio is a breath of fresh air to the Premiership and a good manager.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
kshammer wrote:I reckon they'll beat Norwich in the next game and that will be enough.

I hope Sunderland stay up, Di Canio is a breath of fresh air to the Premiership and a good manager.

You never mentioned it.

Funny how one mans breath of fresh air is another mans self centred, attention seeking, media whore, racist twerp.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:17 am

kshammer wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

You never mentioned it.

Funny how one mans breath of fresh air is another mans self centred, attention seeking, media whore, racist bowler hat.

It'll all end in tears. With Di Canio, it's always all about Di Canio and not the team, hence the ridiculous histrionics on the touch line.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
kshammer wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

You never mentioned it.

Funny how one mans breath of fresh air is another mans self centred, attention seeking, media whore, racist bowler hat.

It'll all end in tears. With Di Canio, it's always all about Di Canio and not the team, hence the ridiculous histrionics on the touch line.

Such as........

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 am

You are joking, of course! Did you see him last night when they equalised? He wasnt celebrating with the team, he turned straight round to the Villa fans and did a goal celebration as if he had scored, with his arms spread wide!

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:28 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:You are joking, of course! Did you see him last night when they equalised? He wasnt celebrating with the team, he turned straight round to the Villa fans and did a goal celebration as if he had scored, with his arms spread wide!

I particularly liked it after they beat Newcastle, running to hug the players while checking over his shoulder to make sure the camera was on him.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:I think Lambert is doing a decent job considering the age and inexperience of his squad and not having money to spend.

The age and inexperience of his squad isn't something that happened by accident - that's his policy. A policy that may be admirable but has also very nearly got them relegated.

Re: transfer spending. Only Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, QPR and Southampton have a greater net spend than Villa this season. He spent £25m on eight players either before or during the season. He sold one (Collins) for £2m. Lambert cultivates this image of a thrifty manager working with the hand he's been dealt but it simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:04 am

bangsection wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:I think Lambert is doing a decent job considering the age and inexperience of his squad and not having money to spend.

The age and inexperience of his squad isn't something that happened by accident - that's his policy. A policy that may be admirable but has also very nearly got them relegated.

Re: transfer spending. Only Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, QPR and Southampton have a greater net spend than Villa this season. He spent £25m on eight players either before or during the season. He sold one (Collins) for £2m. Lambert cultivates this image of a thrifty manager working with the hand he's been dealt but it simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

ok, he as net spend of a whopping 20 million. Not exactly a massive fortune though is it?
I am sure you will agree, if a premiership owner said to a manager, you have 20 million a season to keep us up, its not exactly a grand amount in reality.
I am sure you will also agree that 10 million of that 20 million were spent on Benteke and Lowton, if he sold them both now he would be looking at around 30 million, a nice return and good investment.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:16 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:

ok, he as net spend of a whopping 20 million. Not exactly a massive fortune though is it?
I am sure you will agree, if a premiership owner said to a manager, you have 20 million a season to keep us up, its not exactly a grand amount in reality.
I am sure you will also agree that 10 million of that 20 million were spent on Benteke and Lowton, if he sold them both now he would be looking at around 30 million, a nice return and good investment.

Valid point Sheff but also shows how ridiculous the EPL has become , Will be interesting to see what happens to 'Arry and QPR now they are down, pompey in the making.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:33 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:I am sure you will agree, if a premiership owner said to a manager, you have 20 million a season to keep us up, its not exactly a grand amount in reality.

Nope, I wouldn't agree. And neither would the FACTS.

Number of clubs who spent less than£24m (Villa's actual outlay) on players this season?

Nine - so almost half the league.

Number of those clubs who are above Villa in the table? Seven. The chairmen of Everton, West Brom, Swansea, West Ham, Fulham, Stoke and Norwich all gave their managers less than £24m - many significantly less - and they've all currently got more points than Lambert's Villa.

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics