Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

SOTV

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Re: SOTV

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Like you have with Joke City, Geoff?

:D :wink: :mrgreen:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:37 pm

I was born into a family house that had no real passion for any football team, being from Erdington and a 15 minute walk from villa park my dad use to take me down there, i remember david james making his debut, dion dublin, julian joachim, mark draper and a very young Gareth Barry. use to enjoy sharing chips and a big burger with him at half time just as much as the match, which just screams to me how much the match experience was more about the bond between me and my dad than it was about the villa, at the young age i couldn’t tell you any moments of skill or magic that happened on the field, just little flash backs of feeling so happy and spoilt to just be sat in a sporting venue with my dad sharing food and drink.

I had many villa kits and footballs for birthdays.

villa at that time had a pretty decent team and where quite high up in the league tables, but at them early years of my life i obviously didn’t give two hoots about that as it wasn’t enough for me to always want to be a villa fan.

when i went to the 'bescot stadium' for the first time with my uncle on a random one Saturday and i seen the terracing with the crash barriers and my sight of the pitch slowly being impaired as big blokes all squeezed onto the terrace around me, i actually felt a part of something more passionate and greater then you could of imagined at such a young age, it was a naughty buzz and i personally aspired to be one of them 'blokes' who could get the whole terrace going with choruses of 'going down the wednesbury road' and 'saddlers !!' when i thought about it then and even to this day i felt sorry for villa fans my age because they just had no idea what they were missing out on just up the road at my little walsall.

i personally loved being a young saddler in a school full of chavy scummy villa and blues fans.

i think what kept my spirits so high was playing football Saturday morning with the junior saddlers and then feeling like a big boy standing on the terraces amongst the beer monsters and die hards, ready to see a walsall team we were all proud off.

I wouldn’t of changed that for the world.

your son can choose who he wants to support but, you not feeling any sympathy over the fact that he hasn’t even been educated on what being a saddler is about (especially one from outside the town) is the real disappointment.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:52 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:Been some wonderful posts on this thread. Next time I'm at Walsall station and I see the masses of Villa fans scurrying onto the train, like the rats that they are, they can look down their nose at me all they like, because I'll just think of the sense on this thread and beam back.

You spelled nonsense wrongly, Evo! :D

You lot will learn about tolerance and lose the hatred as you get older and wiser - dunno what happened to Pedagogue though, he must have missed out that stage, or got stuck in a time-warp. :lol:

I am fairly certain I helped enhance Evo's hate for Villa :mrgreen:

All said and done, everyone has teams they don't like for various different reasons. Carlisle are one I really can't stand. I don't think it does any harm, not like I am walking round with a shotgun taking them out or anything. I'd rather Walsall do well, than Villa be rubbish if that's anything. Still hate the barstools though !

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:17 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:Been some wonderful posts on this thread. Next time I'm at Walsall station and I see the masses of Villa fans scurrying onto the train, like the rats that they are, they can look down their nose at me all they like, because I'll just think of the sense on this thread and beam back.

You lot will learn about tolerance and lose the hatred as you get older and wiser - dunno what happened to Pedagogue though, he must have missed out that stage, or got stuck in a time-warp. :lol:

I am fairly certain I helped enhance Evo's hate for Villa :mrgreen:

All said and done, everyone has teams they don't like for various different reasons. Carlisle are one I really can't stand. I don't think it does any harm, not like I am walking round with a shotgun taking them out or anything. I'd rather Walsall do well, than Villa be rubbish if that's anything. Still hate the barstools though !

A very balanced view from you there, mate, if I may say so.

Nowt wrong with Evo, he's a great guy, one of the best and I love him to bits, and he'll know better than anyone that my comments about his post were just a bit of fun and banter.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:Like you have with Joke City, Geoff?

:D :wink: :mrgreen:

If you like, MS. :)

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Enjoyed Brummies post, feel very similar , didn't grow up in Walsall apart from visiting gran on Hilary street on a weekend, but used to ask her when I was Little where all the crowds were going at half 2 on a Saturday while looking out the front window. Years later at age of 15 started going down Walsall randomly and then it made sense.like brummie I grew up surrounded by villa fans, felt decent to go against the grain.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:31 pm

I take the points made about the father son quality time to be had and I agree. but we do bond in many ways at the gym ,playing golf, bikes in Sutton Park etc

The thing is my generation had very little choice when we we young -growing up in Beechdale, Walsall there was not much going on on a saturday afternoon and the chance to go to fellows park was taken up by me every time without hesitation. Nowadays the options for youngsters are numerous social mediawith global friends and interaction, gadgets such as IMACS, DS, XBOX, Skateparks, Shopping Malls with designer sportswear, Multiplex cinemas and bowling alleys. Football matches as a 'product' is up against these other leisure activities and so as a product it has to attract them such as gadgets i.e big screen replays, large crowds, celebrity players globally recognised playing on your doorstep.

The competion for walsall is not villa albion or wolves it is adapting to the new world- On Wednesday take a look at the family stand firstly see how few there are and then look how genuinely interested they are because that Stand represents the future of the club.

Looking back at the the things we did as children and our reasons for going to the match bear no significance on the next generation and relying on tradition will see us extinct as the dinosaurs unless the club adapts and is innovative enough to attract the next generation.

The passion and agression thrown at me is pleasing because my generation is still firmly behgind the club but at the moment the future is definately not bright :(

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:31 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Enjoyed Brummies post, feel very similar , didn't grow up in Walsall apart from visiting gran on Hilary street on a weekend, but used to ask her when I was Little where all the crowds were going at half 2 on a Saturday while looking out the front window. Years later at age of 15 started going down Walsall randomly and then it made sense.like brummie I grew up surrounded by villa fans, felt decent to go against the grain.

I grew up in Walsall, and I was still surrounded by Villa fans, and going against the grain !!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Which bit of Walsall were you from Blazing?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:23 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Which bit of Walsall were you from Blazing?

I grew up in Pelsall, played football with kids from Shelfield, Rushall etc, also my Dad had a lot of mates in all those areas. Hell of a lot of Villa fans.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:38 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

I reckon he's got a past, massive ex hooligan i reckon.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

I grew up in Pelsall, played football with kids from Shelfield, Rushall etc, also my Dad had a lot of mates in all those areas. Hell of a lot of Villa fans.

Blimey, they get everywhere. Quite surprised to find them that far up.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:56 pm

derbysaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

you have to remember back in those days villa were probably one of the best teams in the country so hardly suprising

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 am

brummie saddler wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

you have to remember back in those days villa were probably one of the best teams in the country so hardly suprising

No they wasn't. They had a few good seasons in the early 80s. Was more like late 80s when I am talking about, they actually got relegated, average crowds of less than 20k I believe. Don't kid yourself they are a big club, the Wolves would be much bigger if they sustained top flight football for a long time.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:31 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

No they wasn't. They had a few good seasons in the early 80s. Was more like late 80s when I am talking about, they actually got relegated, average crowds of less than 20k I believe. Don't kid yourself they are a big club, the Wolves would be much bigger if they sustained top flight football for a long time.

You having a joke ?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:45 am

No, seriously, the Wolves could be massive. Not that I want them to be or anything, but they have the potential there to be a huge club. I'm not Wolves fan, I always have a chuckle when they are on a downer, but I really do believe they could be a bigger club than Villa.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:59 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:No, seriously, the Wolves could be massive. Not that I want them to be or anything, but they have the potential there to be a huge club. I'm not Wolves fan, I always have a chuckle when they are on a downer, but I really do believe they could be a bigger club than Villa.

This!

Look at things what their owner is doing.

Putting the football to one side, the owner is building a massive ground to hold over 50'000 people. The facilities will be right up there with the best in the land (although you probably wont find a single dingle who agrees).

Then, lets look at things geographically. The Vile have the Blue and Albion within 2 miles, that's a lot of competition. Thats 3 clubs vying for roughly 100'000 fans. Wolverhampton is right out on a limb, it's catchment area is enormous, look at a fudge map. Its even more handy being on the north side of Wolverhampton. Not only does it suck in fans from Albion strongholds like Dudley and Sandwell, it also catches the Walsall mongs who cant see the wood for the trees. Then look West, Telford and Shropshire with the M54 straight into the custard bowl. Even as far as the Welsh border, they'd be the biggest league club. Then go North, nothing until Stoke and Stafford is a very string Wolves area, in fact Staffordshire is very Orange. Pretty amazing transport links too as Ive already mentioned and also sitting on the West Coast mainline.

Add in to the mix plenty of history, a bit of success, a strong marketing tool already with their Wolf emblem and unique albeit disgusting colour/brand and Im afraid ladies and gentlemen that these Wulfs are going to be one massive club in the future.
Last edited by saddlerken on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:59 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:No, seriously, the Wolves could be massive. Not that I want them to be or anything, but they have the potential there to be a huge club. I'm not Wolves fan, I always have a chuckle when they are on a downer, but I really do believe they could be a bigger club than Villa.

I'd suggest by the time this was posted you'd had more than your fill of beer and whisky! :)

You're dislike for Villa will not change the fact that the are a MOSSIV club!

:mrgreen:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:03 am

Added to my point and talking of potential, Walsall would be better off being 10 miles further North East from Brum. The size of Walsall is irrelevant really because of the size of the clubs on our doorstep.

Shame.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:05 am

Sound_out wrote:

I'd suggest by the time this was posted you'd had more than your fill of beer and whisky! :)

You're dislike for Villa will not change the fact that the are a MOSSIV club!

:mrgreen:

I'm not that keen on the Wolves either. Sure Villa are one of the bigger clubs, but they think they are a hell of a lot bigger than they are. You may be right about the whiskey, maybe I should lay off it, saying things like Wolves being a big club and all that :lol: Seriously though, Wolves could be much bigger than Villa.

Looks like Villa have a great chance of a trophy this season, this will enhance them as a huge club, although their tiny neighbours won it only a few years ago, and got relegated the same season, I could live with that :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:06 am

saddlerken wrote:Added to my point and talking of potential, Walsall would be better off being 10 miles further North East from Brum. The size of Walsall is irrelevant really because of the size of the clubs on our doorstep.

Shame.

If we had built the ground in Beechdale (as was originally the plan) I am sure it would have made a difference, not massive but enough. Bloxwich and it's surrounding areas is where the hardcore of Walsall fan's come from. The surrounding areas of our ground is populated by mainly Albion fans sadly.

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:09 am

Even when things are really bad I wouldnt stop being a Saddler for anything.
Took my two Kids to the games from when they were small and there is no way they would support any other team.
Yes they moan about how crap we are but its a bit like family we can moan but the minute anyone else does they defend their team against all the gloryhunters.
Proud that they still want to come to the games (when they can) and yes I have indoctrinated them to never support another team - job done as a good Parent!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:10 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
saddlerken wrote:Added to my point and talking of potential, Walsall would be better off being 10 miles further North East from Brum. The size of Walsall is irrelevant really because of the size of the clubs on our doorstep.

Shame.

If we had built the ground in Beechdale (as was originally the plan) I am sure it would have made a difference, not massive but enough. Bloxwich and it's surrounding areas is where the hardcore of Walsall fan's come from. The surrounding areas of our ground is populated by mainly Albion fans sadly.

Yep, anywhere north of Walsall Town Centre would have been a good move.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:14 am

brummie saddler wrote:I was born into a family house that had no real passion for any football team, being from Erdington and a 15 minute walk from villa park my dad use to take me down there, i remember david james making his debut, dion dublin, julian joachim, mark draper and a very young Gareth Barry. use to enjoy sharing chips and a big burger with him at half time just as much as the match, which just screams to me how much the match experience was more about the bond between me and my dad than it was about the villa, at the young age i couldn’t tell you any moments of skill or magic that happened on the field, just little flash backs of feeling so happy and spoilt to just be sat in a sporting venue with my dad sharing food and drink.

I had many villa kits and footballs for birthdays.

villa at that time had a pretty decent team and where quite high up in the league tables, but at them early years of my life i obviously didn’t give two hoots about that as it wasn’t enough for me to always want to be a villa fan.

when i went to the 'bescot stadium' for the first time with my uncle on a random one Saturday and i seen the terracing with the crash barriers and my sight of the pitch slowly being impaired as big blokes all squeezed onto the terrace around me, i actually felt a part of something more passionate and greater then you could of imagined at such a young age, it was a naughty buzz and i personally aspired to be one of them 'blokes' who could get the whole terrace going with choruses of 'going down the wednesbury road' and 'saddlers !!' when i thought about it then and even to this day i felt sorry for villa fans my age because they just had no idea what they were missing out on just up the road at my little walsall.

i personally loved being a young saddler in a school full of chavy scummy villa and blues fans.

i think what kept my spirits so high was playing football Saturday morning with the junior saddlers and then feeling like a big boy standing on the terraces amongst the beer monsters and die hards, ready to see a walsall team we were all proud off.

I wouldn’t of changed that for the world.

your son can choose who he wants to support but, you not feeling any sympathy over the fact that he hasn’t even been educated on what being a saddler is about (especially one from outside the town) is the real disappointment.

Well said Brummie. That story resonates with me.

I grew up in baggy land (Yew Tree) and my old fella used to take.us to the Hawthorns. In fact I had seen them play in two Wembley finals by the time I was 9 so it would have been so easy for me to follow the herd and be a baglady to this day.

One of our neighbours was a Walsall supporter and one Saturday I went with him to Fellows Park. It was the last game of the 70-71 season at home to Rotherham. He stood in the cowshed, but I drifted off into the Railway end where the two sets of fans were mixed, and there was not much room. It was brilliant, and a little scary when the rucks started.

I was hooked and hardly missed a home game during the next 10 years. By the time I was 13, I was going to lots of away games as well. This was the perfect riposte for the West Brom, Villa, Wolves and Liverpool "fans" at school who only ever saw their teams on MOTD.

Being a Walsall supporter has always made me feel part of a small exclusive club, an experience that the majority of football fans do not understand.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:18 am

Louise wrote:Even when things are really bad I wouldnt stop being a Saddler for anything.
Took my two Kids to the games from when they were small and there is no way they would support any other team.
Yes they moan about how crud we are but its a bit like family we can moan but the minute anyone else does they defend their team against all the gloryhunters.
Proud that they still want to come to the games (when they can) and yes I have indoctrinated them to never support another team - job done as a good Parent!

Well done Louise

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:29 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Louise wrote:Even when things are really bad I wouldnt stop being a Saddler for anything.
Yes they moan about how crud we are but its a bit like family we can moan but the minute anyone else does they defend their team against all the gloryhunters.

Well done Louise

Indeed, great parenting.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:25 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Shame.

:D Imagine that! I could walk.

It's either albion fans or asians with no interest around Bescot, utter cack.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:48 am

Some interesting posts on parenting on this thread. I don't come from a football family so I didn't get into it until I was 12, the 1986 World Cup starting things off. I decided I was a Walsall fan but a neighbour took me to two Albion games first. I enjoyed them but things could have turned out differently, had I not been so determined to support Walsall. It took until January 1987 until I entered Fellows Park, but my god I never looked back.

p.s I don't hate Villa fans in general, just the hoardes of them from Walsall who think they are better than us.

(A chap at work is a Villa fan and just before Christmas he went to a kids concert at the NEC. He said it was good but having 3000 kids singing in high pitch voices did his head in a bit. I felt like saying you should be used to that)

Love you too Geoff xxx :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:Some interesting posts on parenting on this thread. I don't come from a football family so I didn't get into it until I was 12, the 1986 World Cup starting things off. I decided I was a Walsall fan but a neighbour took me to two Albion games first. I enjoyed them but things could have turned out differently, had I not been so determined to support Walsall. It took until January 1987 until I entered Fellows Park, but my god I never looked back.

p.s I don't hate Villa fans in general, just the hoardes of them from Walsall who think they are better than us.

(A chap at work is a Villa fan and just before Christmas he went to a kids concert at the NEC. He said it was good but having 3000 kids singing in high pitch voices did his head in a bit. I felt like saying you should be used to that)

Love you too Geoff xxx :D

Quite disappointed I didn't transfer more of the hate over to you. You obviously don't know enough of the slimey barstools. To be fair, you have lived in more Albion populated areas than me. To think you could have ended up supporting Albion, a Walsall without Evo would be like Bon Jovi, without Jon Bon Jovi !!!!

As for parenting, my Dad played it so well on the football front, he didn't force me to be a Walsall fan, he convinced me that Walsall were the way to go. I remember the conversation we had every Saturday morning " Who's the best team in the world Mark?" Walsall Dad, Who's the second best " England Dad, "Who's the worst" Villa Dad " That's my boy, go and get your coat" :lol:

He also grounded me for a whole six weeks summer holiday, for coming home with an Albion badge some kid at school gave me, found it in my pocket after washing my school trousers. Seemed harsh at the time, but looking back it was quite fair to be honest. (This is true by the way seriously)

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:44 pm

This thread is like a guide to parenthood. If I have kids, I would be quite ashamed to have a Villa fan come from my sack.

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics