Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

SOTV

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: SOTV

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
Cowshed wrote:This is why people don't want to take heir kids to the Bescot any more and why the crowd will soon be sub 3000.

Its embarrassing !!

What a silly statement - we get cack crowds because the club has been so cack for 5+ years. Don't try and make out it's our own supporters' fault.

Spot on, DV. In any club, it is ridiculous to blame the supporters for poor attendances. Football is big business and the support of its customers has to be earned. No club has a divine right just to sit back and expect the paying customers to turn up. The club has to show ambition in order to persuade existing followers to turn up and inspire new ones to lose their "Bescot virginity" :D

If residents of Walsall choose to follow teams in Dinglehampton, West Bromwich or Brum then why shouldn't they? After all, it's their time and money. Some of them may have had the misfortune to have been born and/or raised in those respective shitholes - or their parents may have suffered similar misfortunes!

Was it the fault of the customers that the likes of Woolworths and Comet went bust? NO, it was the fault of the poor management of those two businesses. The same rules of the commercial jungle apply in professional football and the sooner the club (or, more specifically, its owner) recognises this, the better.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:09 pm

Aston Villa

The French Army of the NATO Alliance.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:31 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:" What time do the Villa kick off Dad?" Every 10 minutes son.

Another good 'un WAW ! :lol:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
Cowshed wrote:This is why people don't want to take heir kids to the Bescot any more and why the crowd will soon be sub 3000.

Its embarrassing !!

What a silly statement - we get guano crowds because the club has been so guano for 5+ years. Don't try and make out it's our own supporters' fault.

Spot on, DV. In any club, it is ridiculous to blame the supporters for poor attendances. Football is big business and the support of its customers has to be earned. No club has a divine right just to sit back and expect the paying customers to turn up. The club has to show ambition in order to persuade existing followers to turn up and inspire new ones to lose their "Bescot virginity" :D

If residents of Walsall choose to follow teams in Dinglehampton, West Bromwich or Brum then why shouldn't they? After all, it's their time and money. Some of them may have had the misfortune to have been born and/or raised in those respective shitholes - or their parents may have suffered similar misfortunes!

Was it the fault of the customers that the likes of Woolworths and Comet went bust? NO, it was the fault of the poor management of those two businesses. The same rules of the commercial jungle apply in professional football and the sooner the club (or, more specifically, its owner) recognises this, the better.

Couldn't agree more, Pedagogue!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Cowshed wrote:
yoda wrote:Booking hotel rooms before they are even in a final? Using some vauge 'family connection' to jump on some glory? I've long held the view that villa fans are the man utd fans of the midlands - jumped up brats with a sense of entitlement because of some tedious link to a club they have no real affiliation to. It sounds like cowshed will fit right in with those tossers.

This is why people dont want to take heir kids to the bescot anymore and why the crowd will soon be sub 3000

Its embarrassing !!

Exactly, cowshed.

Any Villa fan would expect they'll reach the final over two legs, and why shouldn't they? I certainly do. So if you can afford it, go ahead and book those rooms to make sure you're fixed up with accommodation, so you can make a good weekend of it. Then if they don't get through, you cancel.

It ain't rocket science, in fact it's absolute plain and simple common sense, but unfortunately some people can't resist interpreting that as some kind of big-headed over-confident "attitude" - which it certainly isn't.

But why let the facts get in the way of bigotry and hatred? :D

So what did you think when Stoke put ticketing and coach details out for the playoff final before they'd not got through.

To be honest FBIG, I can't recall knowing about that, or having any opinion on it. But if I had, I'd have thought of it as sensible forward-planning, and as we were both in the same division, rather than 3 divisions apart as Villa and Bradford are, I suppose it was even more likely that EITHER side could have gone through, so both sides needed to be equally well-prepared for the possibility of a play-off final ahead.

No doubt Villa should be favourites, though as We-ARE-Walsall has pointed out above, they couldn't beat an egg at the moment, so who knows? Bradford could still come out on top, but I think when the day arrives Villa will still have too much for them, and they certainly should have.

If Villa do get there, they'll take a big following, so advance booking of hotels makes sense for anyone who plans to stay over rather than travelling one or both ways on the day.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:20 pm

It is slightly different as you say, because you would expect Villa to beat Bradford over two games, but if you are going to tempt fate there is always a chance it is going to come back to bite you.

The Stoke thing was just pure arrogance, and no doubt only served to motivate Walsall even more. Stark contrast to Ray , who wouldn't let the players come back out to celebrate with the fans after we beat Stoke, because in his words " We haven't done anything yet"

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:48 pm

Seeing the kaiser chiefs at the o2 brixton in march (probably opened another can of worms) as well as wembley in feb apologies for incorrectly setting out my spring itenary. The point of even mentioning this was that i would rather put myself out for my lad rather than him for me.

For the record (probably wasting my time) i think it would be superb for the game if bradford got through i have watched lower league football all my life and understand the heart thumping excitement that the bradford fans will have now i really wish them all the luck going. Over 2 legs though i think they are up against it.

Whether villa were playing bradford chelsea or swansea in the semis is irrelevant to get a decent hotel you have to book now and take a chance it is not arrogance just experience. Many of the blues fans i know also took the same chance when they got to the final and i did the same in cardiff in 2001.

Just to make it clear in case it was not clear earlier i support walsall not villa. Repeat i support walsall and put a lot of hard earned into my club through sponsorship. however i want all of the regions teams to do well (financially we benefit as a region if all our clubs are doing well i cannot see the financial benefits of us all being in the blue sq league. From a financial point of view why would you want. Villa, blues or wolves to lose their status? if a factory in aston was to lose orders and production moved to london there would be outrage across the front page of the e&star yet people are happy to see villa from the midlands go down and palace from london get the financial benefit. It takes money from the local economy and puts more pressure on unemployment. Yet people who may be struggling to hold onto their jobs or gain permanent employment are wishing for this to happen. Footballing rivalry is good ideally we were all in the barclays premier league and walsall got the double over villa i would love that for sure but i would not want villa to lose their status.

Some of the posts on this thread have been really funny especially waw but some are just distasteful. There is no need for it at the end of the day some people say that the behaviour of fans is not to blame for low crowds but by the same token will swearing and vicious name calling bring fans back. This site is in the public domain and therefore the comments reflect on the saddlers fans not to mention the sponsors.

Having lost a close friend recently who died at the age of 46 i have learned that life is too short to bear grudges and as far as i am concerned anyone who is a saddler is a friend. Once again i wish everyone a happy and prosperous new year

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:12 am

No can of worms with me Cowshed. Kaiser Chiefs are superb live (and thats after seeing them at the NIA, not somewhere good). Hope you have a good time :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 am

Just one thought, cowshed, how much has Walsall been heldback because Walsall folk keep going to Villa instead of the Banks's's? Think your argument is spurious in that respect.

(and for Villa fans, with a spurious Kaiser Chiefs reference: I think you will be the death of me, but we are everything you want to be!)

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:32 am

Cowshed wrote:Just to make it clear in case it was not clear earlier i support walsall not villa. Repeat i support walsall and put a lot of hard earned into my club through sponsorship.

Some good points Cowshed. It would be nice to think "the club" were benefiting from your hard earned. Providing you are entertained each week, its money well spent. However, the club is primarily in existence for the benefit of the owner. :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:43 am

Cowshed wrote:Seeing the kaiser chiefs at the o2 brixton in march (probably opened another can of worms) as well as wembley in feb apologies for incorrectly setting out my spring itenary. The point of even mentioning this was that i would rather put myself out for my lad rather than him for me.

For the record (probably wasting my time) i think it would be superb for the game if bradford got through i have watched lower league football all my life and understand the heart thumping excitement that the bradford fans will have now i really wish them all the luck going. Over 2 legs though i think they are up against it.

Whether villa were playing bradford chelsea or swansea in the semis is irrelevant to get a decent hotel you have to book now and take a chance it is not arrogance just experience. Many of the blues fans i know also took the same chance when they got to the final and i did the same in cardiff in 2001.

Just to make it clear in case it was not clear earlier i support walsall not villa. Repeat i support walsall and put a lot of hard earned into my club through sponsorship. however i want all of the regions teams to do well (financially we benefit as a region if all our clubs are doing well i cannot see the financial benefits of us all being in the blue sq league. From a financial point of view why would you want. Villa, blues or wolves to lose their status? if a factory in aston was to lose orders and production moved to london there would be outrage across the front page of the e&star yet people are happy to see villa from the midlands go down and palace from london get the financial benefit. It takes money from the local economy and puts more pressure on unemployment. Yet people who may be struggling to hold onto their jobs or gain permanent employment are wishing for this to happen. Footballing rivalry is good ideally we were all in the barclays premier league and walsall got the double over villa i would love that for sure but i would not want villa to lose their status.

Some of the posts on this thread have been really funny especially waw but some are just distasteful. There is no need for it at the end of the day some people say that the behaviour of fans is not to blame for low crowds but by the same token will swearing and vicious name calling bring fans back. This site is in the public domain and therefore the comments reflect on the saddlers fans not to mention the sponsors.

Having lost a close friend recently who died at the age of 46 i have learned that life is too short to bear grudges and as far as i am concerned anyone who is a saddler is a friend. Once again i wish everyone a happy and prosperous new year

Just to make it clear from my point of view, I have nothing against you, I certainly don't want to put you off going to watch Walsall, we need everyone we can get. A lot of my posts were just banta, with a bit of seriousness thrown in now and then.

I'd die from the inside if any of my kids wanted to support Villa, I believe I am a great parent ( I learned from the best) but I dunno if I could go far enough to encourage them in that pass time. Goes against everything I was bought up to believe. My 2 year old was named after my late Dad, I really think he would be spinning in his grave if I allowed him to be a Villa fan :lol:

I do understand how difficult it is to tempt kids down Walsall now though, I touched on it in another thread. There are no heroes anymore, we have virtually a new side every season. There are no players the kids can relate too, no one that they can't wait to go and see, unlike when I was a kid, I couldn't wait to get down there and see Preece, Shaky, Childs etc etc strut there stuff every weekend. I wont give up that easily though.

Happy New Year anyway, lets hope Villa can keep up this run of consistency :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:48 am

Exile wrote:Just one thought, cowshed, how much has Walsall been heldback because Walsall folk keep going to Villa instead of the Banks's's? Think your argument is spurious in that respect.

I really don't see what relevance whatsoever this has, or why it should cause us to hold any ill feelings towards the Villa (or any of our neighbours) or their fans.

Every one of us has free choice, and we exercise it as we see fit. If anyone within the Walsall boundary looks on Villa (or any of our neighbours) as offering better value, better football, better opposition, better facilities or just simply a better experience, then why shouldn't they take (what they see as) the better option?

Like all the other clubs around here, we were founded in the late 1800s, and have had similar opportunities to grow from the start like Villa, B'ham City, Wolves and the Albion have. But we didn't. They didn't really have a head start on us, we just fell behind while they attracted more followers and grew into bigger clubs, presumably through better management and ambition. Is that the fault of all of those clubs? Were they not just doing what any business should do? Are they not still doing that today?

Or is it the fault of the succession of owners of Walsall FC, who presumably didn't set their sights as high (still don't), showed less ambition to grow like our neighbours, and consequently ended up as the poor relations, and as a result offering a poorer product at a lower level and therefore understandably attracting fewer followers?

Yes, Walsall FC has been held back because of the Walsall people who cross the boundaries to watch football at our neighbours' grounds, and some even further afield. So what? That's not the problem, or at least it's only a small part of it, and remember, there are people who cross the boundaries in the other direction to come to Bescot and follow the Saddlers, so it's not a one-way system.

The problem at Walsall FC now is that its management don't even do enough to retain the fans that we have had (me included), and it is entirely in THEIR hands to provide a team on the pitch that is good enough to make us feel it is worthwhile returning to The Banks's to watch. It is also entirely in their (or maybe HIS) hands to make fans like me feel part of a club that has ambition to succeed, NOT ambition to plod along just sufficiently to keep paying the equivalent of £1,000 a day in rent into the pension fund.

None of this is the fault of our neighbours, and the "anti" against them makes no sense in the face of the real facts of the matter, that they are not to blame, and that our decline is totally self-inflicted from the top of the Bescot board-room.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:52 am

What a load of old bollocks, Geoff, if you don't mind me saying :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:57 am

chestersaddler wrote:What a load of old bollocks, Geoff, if you don't mind me saying :D

I agree. Even taking the other Midland clubs out of the equation, the amount of glory hunters from Walsall is sickening.

If you turned those into Walsall fans, you'd see five figure crowds at least.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:What a load of old betties, Geoff, if you don't mind me saying :D

I agree. Even taking the other Midland clubs out of the equation, the amount of glory hunters from Walsall is sickening.

If you turned those into Walsall fans, you'd see five figure crowds at least.

If, if, if, if ?? What a small word with such a big impact. So FBIG, how would you propose to turn these people into Walsall fans then? Sit back and wait for 'em to see the light? Frogmarch 'em to The Banks's and force it down 'em? Or do the right thing, offer them something that attracts them?

We certainly won't (and don't) do it by performing like our owner has in recent years.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 pm

Threaten them with shooting. It's just bad parenting.

I wasn't remarking on how to bring them in, but how glory hunting and supporting "out of town" has hurt us as a club.

I have classes of 30 children and I'm on my third. Out of 90 kids, there have been three Walsall fans, in Leamore. Funnily, these were the only three kids I have taught who have seen a live game before the school had a trip to Wembley. It's not other clubs we're fighting so much, it's the telly.

Oh, pardon me, there was one lad who went to see Utd a few times with his old man.

And also, can you tell me who, at a young age gives a flying fudge about chairmen?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:45 pm

chestersaddler wrote:What a load of old betties, Geoff, if you don't mind me saying :D

Yes, facts always are, aren't they? :wink:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:48 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

Yes, facts always are, aren't they? :wink:

Those are not facts, more like FACTS. :)

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Out of 90 kids, there have been three Walsall fans, in Leamore. Funnily, these were the only three kids I have taught who have seen a live game before the school had a trip to Wembley. It's not other clubs we're fighting so much, it's the telly.

There's loads of those kids who will love playing football though. I think this is a big issue for the game. Whether it be through the rectangular window of Sky TV Monday Night Football or the same shaped oblong of Xbox and PS3's FIFA13, kids are missing out.

When they are on a pitch as players, they simply don't understand how eleven a side works: offside (and the offside trap), movement off the ball, formations and shape etc. because you just don't see this accurately without seeing the full pitch and all twenty two players. My son isn't technically gifted, and at five a side was very much in the shadow of quicker and more skilful individuals. But, increasingly some of these lads are being found out as the pitches lengthen and the number of opponents to beat goes up.

Watching live football from an early age helps kids understand the game as a player. Too many are missing out.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:55 pm

My Grandad is exactly the same as you Geoff, as in his opinion is we should want all midlands teams to do well. He is a true gentleman, and a Walsall supporter of 75 years, and maybe just maybe I should listen to him. However, my Dad's words ring louder in my ears !!! It is everyone's choice to like and dislike who they want, and it is my choice to keep on hating them, and laughing at their misfortunes. As always Walsall always has and always will be my first concern when it comes to football.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:59 pm

Couldn't agree more, KC. Out of all the lads in the three classes, only one of the TV watchers has any thinking about the space and positions around him.

It's sad, because they're missing out. Sitting in the Gunners Club for Liverpool Vs Utd is still a poor substitute for live football, even our level.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Threaten them with shooting. It's just bad parenting.

I wasn't remarking on how to bring them in, but how glory hunting and supporting "out of town" has hurt us as a club.

I have classes of 30 children and I'm on my third. Out of 90 kids, there have been three Walsall fans, in Leamore. Funnily, these were the only three kids I have taught who have seen a live game before the school had a trip to Wembley. It's not other clubs we're fighting so much, it's the telly.

Oh, pardon me, there was one lad who went to see Utd a few times with his old man.

And also, can you tell me who, at a young age gives a flying **** about chairmen?

Interesting and worrying statistics there FBIG, I must say. Leamore is one of the poorer districts of Walsall, so I guess the ridiculous cost of football is going to put off a lot of people, and if they don't go, they won't be attracting the kids with them. They can have a month of Sky TV for the family for less than a couple of afternoons or evenings out at Bescot, and that's hard to overcome.

I agree with you that nobody, of course, gives (or should need to give) a damn about the chairman, at that or any other age. He should be relatively invisible to us (he qualifies on that point :) ), working and making sure that the club is providing the product that people want to come and enjoy (he fails miserably on this point), then they will come - not all of 'em, but some of 'em at least.

You can't dismiss his role in all of this just because we might, for the time being, be talking about attracting youngsters. Youngsters mainly start by being brought by their parent(s), so it's they that we have to attract first, but we are simply NOT doing that.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:04 pm

I disagree. The club is seeing it and however meek Gamble and co are towards Bonser, they are making strides with community work. The free season tickets and the school tickets sent (there was an offer for an adult and kid for a fiver)

I'm not going to argue about Bonser being a problem, he is. But never underestimate how many glory hunters there are in Walsall. Out of that 90, there was only one Villa fan and one Wolves fan.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:05 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Couldn't agree more, KC. Out of all the lads in the three classes, only one of the TV watchers has any thinking about the space and positions around him.

It's sad, because they're missing out. Sitting in the Gunners Club for Liverpool Vs Utd is still a poor substitute for live football, even our level.

Sad indeed, couldn't agree more.

We need to provide something better for them than we do now, close to home, to get them out of the house and involved in the live game.

BONSER, just do it, for a change spend the money on the team and not on feathering your own nest!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:15 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Couldn't agree more, KC. Out of all the lads in the three classes, only one of the TV watchers has any thinking about the space and positions around him.

Sad indeed, couldn't agree more.

We need to provide something better for them than we do now, close to home, to get them out of the house and involved in the live game.

BONSER, just do it, for a change spend the money on the team and not on feathering your own nest!

Parents may well not be interested in supporting Walsall, but they want to support their own kids.

Idea: offer free tickets to under-12s teams (plus a place for their coach/manager) to home games. Sit them in the middle of the family stand (not in that god-awful corner where you can't see anything). Have someone from our fantastic community coaching staff give them a fifteen minute briefing, with a diagrammatic fact sheet, before the game on a feature to look out for in particular. It could be the offside trap. Or a striker's movement off the ball to try and break it. It could be set piece set ups at free kicks and corners. Anything. Have a different element each game.

After the game, give the kids a glass of squash and have a plenary where they can discuss something they observed and how they could build that element into their own team's performance. That's the 'what's in it for me'. Oh, and the deal only applies if, say, 70 percent of the team's registered players commit to attend.

I'm making this up as I go along.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:20 pm

They might not have much money in Leamore, but its funny how they find the money for their Wolves season tickets Geoff...

Lets face it, at the moment, we could even give out free tickets all season long and if they were asked to pay none would come back. Not just have we been pretty poor for five years, our home form has been ridiculously terrible. Not to mention the big concrete morgue they have to sit in, crap over priced stuff they call food, and the retards that dont know what 2.50 x 3 is.

The current Matchday experience at Bescot is similar to that of being punched in the balls.
Last edited by latviancheese on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:23 pm

You can take yourself and your kid/s to Walsall for around £10 a game can't you ? Pretty good value I'd say.

As mentioned, they need to take it a step further and offer more of an incentive to get them there in the first place.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:24 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:You can take yourself and your kid/s to Walsall for around £10 a game can't you ? Pretty good value I'd say.

As mentioned, they need to take it a step further and offer more of an incentive to get them there in the first place.

More like 20 quid. Plus your 3 quid for a program full of adverts. :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:25 pm

latviancheese wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:You can take yourself and your kid/s to Walsall for around £10 a game can't you ? Pretty good value I'd say.

No, if you have an early bird ST, it's more like 10quid, with as many kids as you want isn't it ?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:32 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
latviancheese wrote:

No, if you have an early bird ST, it's more like 10quid, with as many kids as you want isn't it ?

I dont know i dont have one. If you dont though its 21.50/23.50 for an Adult and a Junior ticket.

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics