Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

SOTV

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Re: SOTV

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:20 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Cowshed wrote:Originally from walsall and now living in sutton i am a saddler for life but my 13 year old son is a VIlla fan which means i go down villa park with him time to time. There is no denying this is a big club and the experience is nothing like watching walsall. I want villa to be a top flight club because without them we will lose the opportunity to experience big crowd atmosphere here in the midlands and if you want to go to a game with a 30k plus crowd you will have to go to London or North West. On holiday abroad we often see the Bayern Munich shirts by the pool until my lad dons his villa shirt and rubs their nose in it - Surely international recognition like this defines a big club. Of course I would love my team to compete at the top level but as i grow older it seems less likely but that doesnt mean I want our local bigger clubs to lose their status. Geoff's point is valid in that the national press and my colleagues based in the capital judge the standard of football in the midlands by the villa and albion results and so by laughing at the 8 - O scoreline they are laughing at us all. as a midlander i will be hoping villa beat teams from the smoke as nearly as much as i hope grigg scores a hatrick against orient.

When my boy was 4 or 5 my wife's sister bought him some David Beckham branded football clothing. He was only made aware of this several years later. The merchandise was returned to the shop the following day and the sister in law was told not to be such a saft cow in future.

It ay difficult :wink:

I note that you state he was only made aware years later - and not at the time. There in lies the problem children are logical and not emotionally mature to understand the family loyalty issues.

So as a 6 year old the conversatn goes like this

Dad have walsall ever won the fa cup - er no son

Dad have walsall ever been to wembley- er no son

Dad have walsall played in europe-er no son

Dad do walsall have 16000 fans behind the goal - er no son

How many dad - about 1200

But do they make a great noise and cheer on the team -er no son

Dad will i get to see rooney, tevez and van persie play live at bescot every season -er no son

DAd who will i get to see play Will i recognise them - er no son

DAd will i go to the EMirates or old trafford each year -er no son

Ok where will we go dad- bury, yeovil

Dad will i see walsall play on tv every week - er no son

Dad everyone in my class go to the villa and iwill get some stickfor going to bescot and i would do it because i know it would make you happy but to be honest dad when you come back from the match you never seem to be happy

The point is it is difficult to encourage your children to do something just because you copied your grandfather and uncles. In the end My son was prepared to follow me because he wanted me to be happy but why would i not want him to have the best possible experience?

As it is i will be at villa watching him enjoy himself and occasionally he comes to bescot supporting me through the agony :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Best possible experience = Villa.

Good god. Good god.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Best possible experience = Villa.

Good god. Good god.

There is no god. :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:30 pm

Exile wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Best possible experience = Villa.

Good god. Good god.

There is no god. :wink:

Proven by the fact that somebody thought Villa was the best choice for a child.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Cowshed wrote:
I note that you state he was only made aware years later - and not at the time. There in lies the problem children are logical and not emotionally mature to understand the family loyalty issues.

Dad have walsall ever won the fa cup - er no son - No b ut putting a prem team out is better than that ( I am sure we will, one day)

Dad have walsall ever been to wembley- er no son - Cardiff so this one is piss poor.

Dad have walsall played in europe-er no son - Against foreign ponces? NO THANKS

Dad do walsall have 16000 fans behind the goal - er no son - At least its not 16,000 tossers!

How many dad - about 1200 - Passionate fans

But do they make a great noise and cheer on the team -er no son the lower does, so that doesn't wash

Dad will i get to see rooney, tevez and van persie play live at bescot every season -er no son - Overpaid tossers? NO THANKS especially when I had a face full of Beevers last season.

DAd who will i get to see play Will i recognise them - er no son. You would if you were a fan - piss poor

DAd will i go to the EMirates or old trafford each year -er no son. - £50 a ticket - bollocks

Ok where will we go dad- bury, yeovil - One of my favourite away days was Macclesfield away on a Tuesday night.

Dad will i see walsall play on tv every week - er no son - iplayer you will.

Dad everyone in my class go to the villa and iwill get some stickfor going to bescot and i would do it because i know it would make you happy but to be honest dad when you come back from the match you never seem to be happy - Bullshit - out of about 10 matesd I have 1 who supports Walsall so you must have a weak son.
The point is it is difficult to encourage your children to do something just because you copied your grandfather and uncles. In the end My son was prepared to follow me because he wanted me to be happy but why would i not want him to have the best possible experience?

As it is i will be at villa watching him enjoy himself and occasionally he comes to bescot supporting me through the agony :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Cowshed wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Cowshed wrote:Originally from walsall and now living in sutton i am a saddler for life but my 13 year old son is a VIlla fan which means i go down villa park with him time to time. There is no denying this is a big club and the experience is nothing like watching walsall. I want villa to be a top flight club because without them we will lose the opportunity to experience big crowd atmosphere here in the midlands and if you want to go to a game with a 30k plus crowd you will have to go to London or North West. On holiday abroad we often see the Bayern Munich shirts by the pool until my lad dons his villa shirt and rubs their nose in it - Surely international recognition like this defines a big club. Of course I would love my team to compete at the top level but as i grow older it seems less likely but that doesnt mean I want our local bigger clubs to lose their status. Geoff's point is valid in that the national press and my colleagues based in the capital judge the standard of football in the midlands by the villa and albion results and so by laughing at the 8 - O scoreline they are laughing at us all. as a midlander i will be hoping villa beat teams from the smoke as nearly as much as i hope grigg scores a hatrick against orient.

When my boy was 4 or 5 my wife's sister bought him some David Beckham branded football clothing. He was only made aware of this several years later. The merchandise was returned to the shop the following day and the sister in law was told not to be such a saft cow in future.

It ay difficult :wink:

Dad have walsall ever won the fa cup - er no son

Dad have walsall ever been to wembley- er no son

Dad have walsall played in europe-er no son

Dad do walsall have 16000 fans behind the goal - er no son

How many dad - about 1200

But do they make a great noise and cheer on the team -er no son

Dad will i get to see rooney, tevez and van persie play live at bescot every season -er no son

DAd who will i get to see play Will i recognise them - er no son

DAd will i go to the EMirates or old trafford each year -er no son

Ok where will we go dad- bury, yeovil

Dad will i see walsall play on tv every week - er no son

Dad everyone in my class go to the villa and iwill get some stickfor going to bescot and i would do it because i know it would make you happy but to be honest dad when you come back from the match you never seem to be happy

Possibly the saddest post I have ever seen on here, or anywhere else for that matter. Not having a go at you, everyone is different, and it is your choice.

However, I asked my Dad all of those questions (or similar) and he had an answer for each and everyone of them that convinced me that Walsall was by far a better option. He was a great Dad, and the times we spent following Walsall can never ever be replaced for me. They made me who I am, and I'd rather be who I am than a slimey Villa fan any day of the week. I didn't support Walsall to make my Dad happy, I did it, because I wanted to be with my Dad, I wanted to be like my Dad. The fact everyone at school supported Villa made it even better for me, that's partly where my dislike for them comes from.

My Sons will support Walsall, I have no doubt about this, cos instead of teaching them about the Rooney's of the world, I will teach them what following Walsall is all about. It's about far more than getting to Wembley, having 16000 behind the goal, and whatever else.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:40 pm

My boy has never lived in Walsall, but yowl see him with me whenever we go home or away (unless it's a school night)

TBH he ay that interested in football, thankfully :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:49 pm

He should've been a Dortmund fan.

28000 behind the goal.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:05 pm

I need a ****ing lie down after reading this thread.

- Walsall fathers letting their sons support Villa even though one of the best thing you can do as a pass time is take your lad to the football with you (at the same club you both follow), I am not a father but my dad did the same with me and I can say it was remarkable, and I could see how much it meant to him too, sandwiches in the van away to Northampton in the cup and all sorts. The adventures you have and to know the small loyal fan base is boosted if only by one.
- Walsall fans defending Villa
- Walsall fans having no problems about second teams.

Jesus christ, it's enough to make me log out an never log back in.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Sound_out wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:
Sound_out wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:I don't understand why our neighbours doing well is good for Walsall. Let them eat guano.

Well said, i hate it when they patronise us by saying "Walsall are our second club" Go and f*** yourselves! :evil:

How is that patronising? :?

No offence Willenhall but this really is the type of mentality I don't understand.

Why should people have/like second clubs? I haven't got one! If these clubs are "supposedly" big enough clubs, trust me, they wouldn't give a second thought about Walsall so i won't give a second thought about them. I wonder if Rangers fans say Celtic are their second clubs? Or Arsenal are Tottenham's second club, Man.Utd's are Man.City, Stoke are Port Vale's or vice versa etc etc?

Why shouldn't people have second clubs? Whether you have one or not is of no consequence. Take the example of someone who moves away from Walsall and begins watch, say, Ipswich Town because they are local. One or the other would become the second team with the reason being someone’s love of the game and wanting to watch football. Away days where people don’t want to travel also bring people to their second clubs. I can’t see any problem with it whatsoever, it only brings benefit.

I agree.

I'm a season ticket holder at Walsall and have been since I moved to Walsall over ten years ago. My kids go to games with me, I've bought plenty of merchandise and attended loads of events such as testimonials. I'm a co-owner of this site and a contributor for over ten years. But WFC would still strictly speaking have to be viewed as my second team: I.e not my hometown club that I grew up supporting.

I don't have any problem with supporting the local team. As a student in Edinburgh I spent four years at Easter Road watching Hibs. If you love live football, and you can't be with the one you love - love the one you're with. If more people supported their local clubs rather than armchair followed a big club from afar, football would be in rude health instead of the sickly specimen it has become.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Watched a lot of Crystal Palace when I was in London, as a mate was a fan. Never considered them my second club.

Watched a bit of Bristol City when I was in the SouthWest, as a mate was a fan. Definitely not my second club!

Watched a bit of Grimsby too, as a mate was a fan. Would never think of the kipperstinkers as my second club.

Happy to go along to watch mates' clubs - even seen the Scousers a fair bit in London with another mate - but it's just football. Not the same as Walsall. WTID.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:49 pm

I think it is slightly different when you have grown up supporting a "big" club, well they were a big club at the time, before I start another debate :lol: and move area and attach yourself to a smaller club.

For what it's worth I wanted to support Liverpool as a kid, cos well they were the best at the time, but my Dad was having none of it, it just wasn't happening. He never forced me though, he never had to, he totally convinced me with his enthusiasm for Walsall Football Club, that he retained until the day he passed away. Years and years of fantastic memories, and no the football wasn't always great, it was often worse than it is now, but it never mattered a bit.

I feel sad that parents who support Walsall would let/want their kids support Villa without a fight, it doesn't have to be a case of your supporting Walsall because I do, and that's that. There are still many reasons why following a club like Walsall can be better than following a team like Villa, Albion, Wolves. If you are enthusiastic enough, it will shine through. I can't even begin to explain how close it made me and my Dad.

KC all I can say, is if Walsall is only your second team, we could do with a few more like yourself, because your passion for Walsall shines through in every post you make. Times aren't great there is no getting away from that, but I still believe you get out of it what you put in to it. As annoying as Walsall are, once they are in your heart, they are difficult to remove. There are many things I would like to see different at Walsall, but I sure as hell wont get them by walking away, or sentencing my children to a life of being a Villa fan deluding themselves as they go.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Cowshed looks favourite to win the Kerry Katona parent of the year award. :mrgreen:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:02 pm

You know what they say

You need a licence to drive a car or own a telly but they let anyone be a parent.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:48 pm

If you stick up for the Villa your basically worse than someone who collaborated with the Nazis.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:47 am

latviancheese wrote:If you stick up for the Villa your basically worse than someone who collaborated with the Nazis.

:lol:

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:57 am

My very first football game i went to was the fudge dingle's against Liverscouse in the league cup at the dingle shed late 70's. My dad took me.
I dont talk to him now.
I begged him on the way back never to take me to that shed again.
Never did.
He still followe's the dingle's, and that is probably one of the reasons i dont talk to him :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:01 am

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:My very first football game i went to was the fudge dingle's against Liverscouse in the league cup at the dingle shed late 70's. My dad took me.
I dont talk to him now.
Never did.
He still followe's the dingle's, and that is probably one of the reasons i dont talk to him :lol:

My dad converted from that cack when he took me to Walsall V Brighton in 97 i think it was. He aint looked back since. Top bloke.

Altho he does hark on about the 70's in the South Bank some times, i snap him back into place.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:04 am

latviancheese wrote:
Tyldesley_saddler wrote:My very first football game i went to was the fudge dingle's against Liverscouse in the league cup at the dingle shed late 70's. My dad took me.
I dont talk to him now.
Never did.

My dad converted from that cack when he took me to Walsall V Brighton in 97 i think it was. He aint looked back since. Top bloke.

Altho he does hark on about the 70's in the South Bank some times, i snap him back into place.

:lol: :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:21 am

latviancheese wrote:If you stick up for the Villa your basically worse than someone who collaborated with the Nazis.

I think that puts an end to this thread now. :lol:

Until the Villa get dicked again anyway....

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:58 am

And the Tesco bag ladies, the dingles and the shitty blues.
Season of good will, fudge them !
They are all scum. End off
As my mate sheff say'es ...................... FACT 8)
I would rather be alive and go on jim i'll fix it for me than watch any of them :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:09 am

Cowshed wrote:some poor excuses for letting his lad support the Vile

I might have had some sympathy had he asked awkward questions such as;

Why does Walsall's number 1 fan trouser half a million a year renting the club their own ground, Dad?
Why don't they sell chips?
What the bloody hell are those things they are using to defrost the pitch?

:D

Seriously though, where are the next generation of supporters coming from?

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:22 am

chestersaddler wrote:

Why does Walsall's number 1 fan trouser half a million a year renting the club their own ground, Dad?

I am trying. i put it about :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:26 am

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Maybe, but from reading the other thread, your offspring are likely to be fat 'uns and they won't go if their ay no chips :(

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:36 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Tyldesley_saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Maybe, but from reading the other thread, your offspring are likely to be fat 'uns and they won't go if their ay no chips :(

I like my big birds but i am a small bloke. 11 stone wringing wet. Am always out playing football ( it aint footy ). play sunday league mate.
Always keep my baby's fit and then go home a bit of " how's your father " :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:49 am

This sums up Villa to me. A lad who I used to work with tried to say that Barry was better than Xabi Alonso.

The unspeakable things I did to his food...

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:02 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:This sums up Villa to me. A lad who I used to work with tried to say that Barry was better than Xabi Alonso.

The unspeakable things I did to his food...

Only a fool, and Rafa Benitez would believe that :lol:

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:33 am

Darth Vader wrote:I need a ****ing lie down after reading this thread.

- Walsall fathers letting their sons support Villa even though one of the best thing you can do as a pass time is take your lad to the football with you (at the same club you both follow), I am not a father but my dad did the same with me and I can say it was remarkable, and I could see how much it meant to him too, sandwiches in the van away to Northampton in the cup and all sorts. The adventures you have and to know the small loyal fan base is boosted if only by one.
- Walsall fans defending Villa
- Walsall fans having no problems about second teams.

Jesus christ, it's enough to make me log out an never log back in.

Well said!

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:26 am

Been some wonderful posts on this thread. Next time I'm at Walsall station and I see the masses of Villa fans scurrying onto the train, like the rats that they are, they can look down their nose at me all they like, because I'll just think of the sense on this thread and beam back.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:Been some wonderful posts on this thread. Next time I'm at Walsall station and I see the masses of Villa fans scurrying onto the train, like the rats that they are, they can look down their nose at me all they like, because I'll just think of the sense on this thread and beam back.

You spelled nonsense wrongly, Evo! :D

You lot will learn about tolerance and lose the hatred as you get older and wiser - dunno what happened to Pedagogue though, he must have missed out that stage, or got stuck in a time-warp. :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics