Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

SOTV

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: SOTV

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:38 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Sound_out wrote:It's wonderful that Saddler's have such a great sense of humour. Who'd have thought supporters of a club who've managed 2 wins their last 18 games and AND only two weeks ago lost 5-1 at Coventry can find such humour in Villa losing heavily in their last two games. :lol:

I just can't imagine why we're the laughing stock of Midlands football can you? :roll:

Okay, there is one subtle difference between the two. I am sure you as most Walsall fans do, realise that we are rubbish, apart from the odd season here and there always have been always will be. It's just how it is. However, Villa on the other hand have this misconception that they are a big club, should be/will be competing with the big guns at the other end of the table. They have only been waiting 30 years.

Since when have we been the laughing stock of the midlands anyway? Speak for yourself, I am proud to be a Walsall fan.

fudge

Proper football fans respect people that follow lower / none league teams. I know that from personal experience having lived away from home for many years but still continued to follow Walsall. There are plenty of decent Swansea fans who know what it is like to visit the places we visit. The irony is that they struggle like hell these days to get a sniff of an away ticket.

Only glory hunting barclays / armchair fans / children who follow "succesful" teams think that we area laughing stock.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:39 pm

That swear filter is amazing :shock:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:01 pm

All together now, in keeping with the festive season:-

On the 12th day of Christmas the Villa gave to me
12 goals conceded
11 players outclassed
10 outfield defenders
9 Benteke offsides
8 goals from Chelsea
7 fans left at full-time
6 days of brilliance
5 off the drop
4 goals from Spurs
3 goals from Bale
2 absolute hammerings
... and a Saddlers fan taking the piss!

[MODERATED: Please don't avoid the sear filter]

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Pedagogue wrote:All together now, in keeping with the festive season:-

On the 12th day of Christmas the Villa gave to me
12 goals conceded
11 players outclassed
10 outfield defenders
9 Benteke offsides
8 goals from Chelsea
7 fans left at full-time
6 days of brilliance
5 off the drop
4 goals from Spurs
3 goals from Bale
2 absolute hammerings
... and a Saddlers fan taking the piss!

:lol:

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Sound_out wrote:It's wonderful that Saddler's have such a great sense of humour. Who'd have thought supporters of a club who've managed 2 wins their last 18 games and AND only two weeks ago lost 5-1 at Coventry can find such humour in Villa losing heavily in their last two games. :lol:

I just can't imagine why we're the laughing stock of Midlands football can you? :roll:

Okay, there is one subtle difference between the two. I am sure you as most Walsall fans do, realise that we are rubbish, apart from the odd season here and there always have been always will be. It's just how it is. However, Villa on the other hand have this misconception that they are a big club, should be/will be competing with the big guns at the other end of the table. They have only been waiting 30 years.

Since when have we been the laughing stock of the midlands anyway? Speak for yourself, I am proud to be a Walsall fan.

OK the laughing stock comment may have been a little OTT.

How do you define a big club?

Courtesy of Wikipedia..

“They are one of the oldest and most successful football clubs in England, having won the First Division Championship seven times and the FA Cup seven times.[6] Villa also won the 1981–82 European Cup, and are thus one of five English clubs to win what is now the UEFA Champions League.[7] Aston Villa has the fourth highest total of major honours won by an English club.
As of the end of the 2010–11 season, Aston Villa have spent 100 seasons in the top tier of English football; the only club to have spent longer in the top flight is Everton, with 108 seasons,[59] making Aston Villa versus Everton the most-played fixture in English top-flight football. Aston Villa are one of an elite group of seven clubs that has played in every Premiership season, the other six being Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur. They are fifth in the All-time FA Premier League table, and have the fourth highest total of major honours won by an English club with 20 wins.[6]
Aston Villa currently hold the record number of league goals scored by any team in the English top flight; 128 goals were scored in the 1930–31 season, one more than Arsenal who won the league that season for the very first time, with Villa runners-up.[60] Villa legend Archie Hunter became the first player to score in every round of the FA Cup in Villa's victorious 1887 campaign. Villa's longest unbeaten home run in the FA Cup spanned 13 years and 19 games, from 1888 to 1901.[61]
Aston Villa are one of five English teams to have won the European Cup. They did so on 26 May 1982 in Rotterdam, beating Bayern Munich 1–0 thanks to Peter Withe's goal.”

Recent Premier League positions:
2007-2008 6th
2008-2009 6th
2009-2010 6th
2010-2011 9th
2011-2012 16th

The achievements speak for themselves. Like it or not Villa are a big club, one of the biggest in fact! So far this and last season have been the poor in relation so it’s understandable for Villa fans to expect more.

Villa would be my second team behind Walsall. I also hope all local teams are successful - it’s good for Midlands football.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:35 pm

If you look at what they have done over the past 30 years , they have done next to nothing for such a "big club" and long may it continue.

Personally I couldn't care less about Midlands football, just little old Walsall, who may not be so little if some of those that get the train to witton to watch them from Walsall, stopped off at their home town club instead.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:58 pm

I don't understand why our neighbours doing well is good for Walsall. Let them eat cack.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:12 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:If you look at what they have done over the past 30 years , they have done next to nothing for such a "big club" and long may it continue.

Personally I couldn't care less about Midlands football, just little old Walsall, who may not be so little if some of those that get the train to witton to watch them from Walsall, stopped off at their home town club instead.

Indeed.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:17 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:If you look at what they have done over the past 30 years , they have done next to nothing for such a "big club" and long may it continue.

Highest achievements in the past 30 years (since European and Super Cup Win)

2nd in Division 1
2nd in Premiership
2 x League Cup Winners
1 x League Cup Runners Up
1 x Intertoto Cup Winners
1 x Intertoto Cup Semi-Finalist
In the last 20 years have finished in the top 10 on 15 occasions.
In last 30 years have played European football in 13 seasons.

Hardly ‘next to nothing’! Granted there and no league or FA cup wins but the record shows they have consistently performed at a high level. You’re argument is illogical but don’t take that personally! :wink:

I’ve been to one football match this year and that was Villa v Arsenal which was more of a drinking day out than anything else. The match was shite, 90 minutes of my life I won’t get back! To be honest I’ve completely fallen out of love with football and looking out for the Walsall and Villa result each week is the extent of my enthusiasm.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:42 pm

chestersaddler wrote:I don't understand why our neighbours doing well is good for Walsall. Let them eat cack.

Well said, i hate it when they patronise us by saying "Walsall are our second club" Go and fudge yourselves! :evil:

[MODERATED: Please don't avoid the swear filter]

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:I don't understand why our neighbours doing well is good for Walsall. Let them eat cack.

Well said, i hate it when they patronise us by saying "Walsall are our second club" Go and f*** yourselves! :evil:

How is that patronising? :?

No offence Willenhall but this really is the type of mentality I don't understand.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Intertoto cup winners, that really is clutching at straws in a Liverpool kind of way :lol:

Fair enough, I understand the lack of enthusiasm about football, can't say as it excites me the same way it did not so many years ago. Peoples lack of enthusiasm about football (and many other things come to that) are what makes things not what they used to be. A bit like when people say "Christmas isn't what it used to be" Well to me it is better as a parent than it was as a kid. People choose not to get enthusiastic about it, if you throw yourself in to it, it can be whatever you want it to be.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Sound_out wrote:

Well said, i hate it when they patronise us by saying "Walsall are our second club" Go and fudge yourselves! :evil:

No offence Willenhall but this really is the type of mentality I don't understand.

Why should people have/like second clubs? I haven't got one! If these clubs are "supposedly" big enough clubs, trust me, they wouldn't give a second thought about Walsall so i won't give a second thought about them. I wonder if Rangers fans say Celtic are their second clubs? Or Arsenal are Tottenham's second club, Man.Utd's are Man.City, Stoke are Port Vale's or vice versa etc etc?

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Sound_out wrote:

Well said, i hate it when they patronise us by saying "Walsall are our second club" Go and f*** yourselves! :evil:

Why should people have/like second clubs? I haven't got one! If these clubs are "supposedly" big enough clubs, trust me, they wouldn't give a second thought about Walsall so i won't give a second thought about them. I wonder if Rangers fans say Celtic are their second clubs? Or Arsenal are Tottenham's second club, Man.Utd's are Man.City, Stoke are Port Vale's or vice versa etc etc?

Why shouldn't people have second clubs? Whether you have one or not is of no consequence. Take the example of someone who moves away from Walsall and begins watch, say, Ipswich Town because they are local. One or the other would become the second team with the reason being someone’s love of the game and wanting to watch football. Away days where people don’t want to travel also bring people to their second clubs. I can’t see any problem with it whatsoever, it only brings benefit.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Sound_out wrote:
Sound_out wrote:

Why shouldn't people have second clubs? Whether you have one or not is of no consequence. Take the example of someone who moves away from Walsall and begins watch, say, Ipswich Town because they are local. One or the other would become the second team with the reason being someone’s love of the game and wanting to watch football. Away days where people don’t want to travel also bring people to their second clubs. I can’t see any problem with it whatsoever, it only brings benefit.

Well i wouldn't watch any other team (apart from England obviously) other than Walsall, it would feel like betrayel! I just couldn't do it, stepping inside someone else's stadium when Walsall aren't there.

ws3
Glitterati

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Sound_out wrote:

I can understand some of what you say, but clubs like walsall will always rely on the bigger clubs supporters having us as a second club. The other examples you use are a bit unfair. I remember talking to a West Ham fan in the Dagenham supporters club and a Fulham fan at Brentford. Sometimes it is just the way it is.

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Having a second club is only possible when it occupies a league position LOWER than Walsall, choosing a club in a higher league is the direct result of various personal inadequacies in peoples lives. Eg. Villa supporter - small dick, Birmingham - no dick, Wolves - a Scunthorpe and finally West Brom - YGA.

Hope that helps folks!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Sound_out wrote:
Sound_out wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:I don't understand why our neighbours doing well is good for Walsall. Let them eat guano.

Some very illogical - but typical - responses on here Sound_out. When I typed my original post on this thread, they're exactly the sort of responses that I expected to get.

Villa are of course a big club, biggest in the Midlands, and one of the biggest in the UK, and to deny that fact is nonsensical, given the facts and the stats that you have set out so well and so clearly. In our region, only Wolves have really come close to them over the years, although we have to go back to the '50s and early '60s to find those times. But of course, Walsall fans typically deny that Wolves have ever been a big club, too.

I think it comes down to just a few words really, mainly intolerance (of a more successful neighbour), denial (of a more successful neighbour), jealousy (towards a more successful neighbour) and ignorance (of the facts).

Personally I wouldn't go elsewhere on a regular basis, and regardless of the presence or lack of ambition shown by our owner and board, I can see nothing wrong with Walsall people seeking to satisfy their need for football by choosing to travel that little further afield to Molineux, The Hawthorns, Villa Park or St Andrews, where they will generally expect to see a better standard of football in more comfortable surroundings. It's everyone's free choice, after all, and to deny them that or criticise them for it makes no sense at all. It's just another commodity that we can all choose to buy or not to buy, and if we DO, then we have free choice whether we get it from place A, B, C or D. I don't see why we should criticise (even hate in this case) anyone else for exercising their own free choice. :?

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Sorry again, Geoff, but what a hypocritical load of old cobblers you are spouting out again.

What about YOUR intolerance, denial, jealousy, ignorance and HATRED of Joke City?

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, BUT in my humble opinion, your views are only logical if you support a club like Villa.

As a Walsall fan, you should be ashamed at feeling anything BUT pure pleasure at seeing them get their arses kicked by Chelsea and Spurs.

The only sad thing about it is the fact that it was the odious Chelsea and Spurs who did the deed.

I hope whoever plays them next puts ANOTHER 8 past them.

Oh - and the same goes for Joke City who I also hate with a passion.

This is what football is all about. Being a voice of reason in football is irrelevant and idiotic.

Sorry.

:D :wink:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Look, some people may fancy a mutual pat on the back with villa, maybe list some lovely stats about how they were fantastic when people were still worried about Zeppelins bombing is etc, fine. Isn't for me though, I'd rather not bring my dinner back up thanks.

Cully- most sensible post on here me thinks

Football is a tribal sport, tapping into that age old sense. It's not a Tupperware meeting.
Last edited by derbysaddler on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:23 pm

I would 8 to be a Villa fan, that's 4 certain

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Cully wrote:Having a second club is only possible when it occupies a league position LOWER than Walsall, choosing a club in a higher league is the direct result of various personal inadequacies in peoples lives. Eg. Villa supporter - small dick, Birmingham - no dick, Wolves - a Scunthorpe and finally West Brom - YGA.

Hope that helps folks!

So you're a season ticket holder at all but Villa..? :lol: :wink:

Sorry Cully, that I could not resist! X

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Sound_out wrote:
Cully wrote:Having a second club is only possible when it occupies a league position LOWER than Walsall, choosing a club in a higher league is the direct result of various personal inadequacies in peoples lives. Eg. Villa supporter - small dick, Birmingham - no dick, Wolves - a Scunthorpe and finally West Brom - YGA.

Hope that helps folks!

So you're a season ticket holder at all but Villa..? :lol: :wink:

Sorry Cully, that I could not resist! X

Hmm...............touchy eh Reverend?

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:47 pm

Originally from walsall and now living in sutton i am a saddler for life but my 13 year old son is a VIlla fan which means i go down villa park with him time to time. There is no denying this is a big club and the experience is nothing like watching walsall. I want villa to be a top flight club because without them we will lose the opportunity to experience big crowd atmosphere here in the midlands and if you want to go to a game with a 30k plus crowd you will have to go to London or North West. On holiday abroad we often see the Bayern Munich shirts by the pool until my lad dons his villa shirt and rubs their nose in it - Surely international recognition like this defines a big club. Of course I would love my team to compete at the top level but as i grow older it seems less likely but that doesnt mean I want our local bigger clubs to lose their status. Geoff's point is valid in that the national press and my colleagues based in the capital judge the standard of football in the midlands by the villa and albion results and so by laughing at the 8 - O scoreline they are laughing at us all. as a midlander i will be hoping villa beat teams from the smoke as nearly as much as i hope grigg scores a hatrick against orient.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:56 pm

I hope Aston Villa go out of business as soon as possible.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:Sorry again, Geoff, but what a hypocritical load of old cobblers you are spouting out again.

What about YOUR intolerance, denial, jealousy, ignorance and HATRED of Joke City?

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, BUT in my humble opinion, your views are only logical if you support a club like Villa.

As a Walsall fan, you should be ashamed at feeling anything BUT pure pleasure at seeing them get their backsides kicked by Chelsea and Spurs.

The only sad thing about it is the fact that it was the odious Chelsea and Spurs who did the deed.

I hope whoever plays them next puts ANOTHER 8 past them.

Oh - and the same goes for Joke City who I also hate with a passion.

This is what football is all about. Being a voice of reason in football is irrelevant and idiotic.

Sorry.

:D :wink:

No hypocrisy from me, MS. My hatred of Sjoke comes from my own experiences there. It does not extend back to the days when we won 2-0 at the Victoria Ground in (I think) 1966 and 2-1 at home in (I think) 1968, when we had great times and were received well by the fans of a (then) proper football club, probably quite small by Division one standards in those days, and enjoying their status in the top division. My feelings date from much more recent times, when the team's performances on the pitch have been vile (as they have generally been for a good many years) and the fans' behaviour towards their opponents' fans has been equally vile and threatening.

In fairness to Sjoke, they have probably been playing more proper football and less "kick-it-if-it-moves" stuff in recent times, and certainly that was the case against Liverpool in their 3-1 win this week, which I quite enjoyed watching and they thoroughly deserved their win. If they continue along those lines, my feelings towards them will certainly change for the better. I won't hold my breath just yet though, as it hardly seems to be Pulis' way of playing the game.

To say I should be "ashamed" to feel anything but pleasure at seeing Villa get thrashed is nonsense, but was I think a bit tongue in cheek on your part, at least that's how I'll take it. :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Cowshed wrote:Originally from walsall and now living in sutton i am a saddler for life but my 13 year old son is a VIlla fan which means i go down villa park with him time to time. There is no denying this is a big club and the experience is nothing like watching walsall. I want villa to be a top flight club because without them we will lose the opportunity to experience big crowd atmosphere here in the midlands and if you want to go to a game with a 30k plus crowd you will have to go to London or North West. On holiday abroad we often see the Bayern Munich shirts by the pool until my lad dons his villa shirt and rubs their nose in it - Surely international recognition like this defines a big club. Of course I would love my team to compete at the top level but as i grow older it seems less likely but that doesnt mean I want our local bigger clubs to lose their status. Geoff's point is valid in that the national press and my colleagues based in the capital judge the standard of football in the midlands by the villa and albion results and so by laughing at the 8 - O scoreline they are laughing at us all. as a midlander i will be hoping villa beat teams from the smoke as nearly as much as i hope grigg scores a hatrick against orient.

When my boy was 4 or 5 my wife's sister bought him some David Beckham branded football clothing. He was only made aware of this several years later. The merchandise was returned to the shop the following day and the sister in law was told not to be such a saft cow in future.

It ay difficult :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Cowshed wrote:Originally from walsall and now living in sutton i am a saddler for life but my 13 year old son is a VIlla fan which means i go down villa park with him time to time. There is no denying this is a big club and the experience is nothing like watching walsall. I want villa to be a top flight club because without them we will lose the opportunity to experience big crowd atmosphere here in the midlands and if you want to go to a game with a 30k plus crowd you will have to go to London or North West. On holiday abroad we often see the Bayern Munich shirts by the pool until my lad dons his villa shirt and rubs their nose in it - Surely international recognition like this defines a big club. Of course I would love my team to compete at the top level but as i grow older it seems less likely but that doesnt mean I want our local bigger clubs to lose their status. Geoff's point is valid in that the national press and my colleagues based in the capital judge the standard of football in the midlands by the villa and albion results and so by laughing at the 8 - O scoreline they are laughing at us all. as a midlander i will be hoping villa beat teams from the smoke as nearly as much as i hope grigg scores a hatrick against orient.

No way, so Villa lose 8-0, and the first thing that comes in to someones mind is, yeah that's funny, and Walsall haven't won in 16 games either, they are shite. I don't think so.

Big crowd atmosphere at Villa Park, have you ever been ? Sure it's better than our efforts, but man for man , not much, unless the away side take over the place. Endless chants of the Veeeelaaa in an 8 year old girls screamy voice.

If your 13 year old son Is a Villa fan, and you support Walsall, then quite frankly that is poor parenting. It was made very clear to me who I supported (and hated, Villa) from a very young age. Never dreamed of going against what my Dad said, I wanted to be like him. Not meaning to be rude, but you have to take the blame somewhere along the line for this. Unless you wanted it that way, then fair enough.

For what it is worth, the experience is nothing like watching Walsall, I would choose Walsall over Villa every time, we have had great times as Walsall fans, made all the better by all the bad that has gone with it. Villa have just always been mediocre, and probably always will be.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm sure that when your boy dons his claret and cack shirt, every Bayern fan trembles.

Their huge league lead (in the present), ever presence in the latter stages of European Cups and four European Cups can't even keep them warm. Not to mention a whole stable of world class talent.

Oh no, when your boy pops on his Stephen Ireland or Fabian Delph shirt, Bayern cack it.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:12 pm

Hypocrisy from a stayaway?

Does it still get dark at night?

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics