Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Prediction League 1 2012-13: A New Season!!

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Prediction League 1 2012-13: A New Season!!

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:07 am

Wow! Look at Exile fly!

Still winning prediction leagues is so May 2012. Everyone knows that the cool hipsters hover around the top ten circling to strike like a poised snake waiting to fang an errant mouse. Or like a shark waiting for blood in the water.

For my own part I am STILL in a better position than last season - yes points as well as I was 12 behind, which I went on to win in spectacular fashion. However, I get the impression that this year's leader is driven by some grim determination rendered from years of prediction failure, sharpened by some early goading and bolstered by making a pact with evil forces that have demanded his soul in return for short-term success.

Similar to Manchester's shunken skull totem of a fews years ago. But evil luck like this only lasts for so long, exhibited in Manchester's disasterous final league losing week in 2008. Sooner or later the fickle mistress of fate rocks up with a used femidom of disappointment and pulls and twists on the swollen testicles of misfortune. Hope remains for goodness to triumph!

Anyway, without further ado I hereby declare TOTAL WAR on the prediction league. The war may be long, bloody and is likely to end in failure. There will be tears, vomiting, sleepless nights, sweating, smashed porcelin, shedded articles of clothing and other, more, kind of sexual stuff. But, the tattered flag will have to be prized from cold, dead fingers of brave warriors huddled around a low hillock - cowardly shot from afar by the grapeshot of guilt and betrayl.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGofoatz-20[/youtube]

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:42 pm

In other words ...

Saigon Saddler: "I must try harder - as I am really bad at predicting ..."

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:28 pm

Here is the table for week 16 after the midweek fixtures. A low scoring week but not one zero! Lots of 2s and 1s.
The winning score was 3 points, scored by the following: derbysaddler, Welsh_Saddler, JaySaddler, ihatethecorps, Aldridge_saddler and Jockey. Well done to all!

Not much change in the table, but as always, some movement for people.

Week 17 is now up and running.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:23 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:In other words ...

Expect a lengthy outburst of bliss from the Far Eastern perve as he realises he's now ahead of you... :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Exile wrote:

Expect a lengthy outburst of bliss from the Far Eastern perve as he realises he's now ahead of you... :wink:

I've grown quite adept at 'dealing' with the 'threat' from Manchester. :D :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gim3Jb8XsLM[/youtube]

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:13 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

I've grown quite adept at 'dealing' with the 'threat' from Manchester. :D :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gim3Jb8XsLM[/youtube]

But what about my threat in the Prediction League?

:D :wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Table turned around pretty quickly this weekend and here it is. Some good scores this week and only one zero. There were a few people who scored 4 points but they were pipped to the weekly winner award by livingthedream who scored 5 points. Well done!

Exile continues to lead the way with a picture of consistent predicting. It is getting pretty congested behind him though!

Week 18 thread will be up and running from Monday night, including a Fri night game to look out for.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:01 pm

"No more than I deserved"

:D

livingthedream
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:26 am

Ahh, finally at the head of the peloton. Next target; Exile :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:22 am

Whitti Steve wrote:Some people have the gift, some don't. I feel like my season is getting going now.... Where is Saigon?

Vietnam, Steve, it's in Vietnam.

:idea:

Unlike the certain special someone disgorging from the oily well of dereliction to settle upon the troubled shoulder of meretricious equanimousity, gorging on the salubrious fruit of dismay while urinating in the flimsy pocket of hope.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:14 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:Some people have the gift, some don't. I feel like my season is getting going now.... Where is Saigon?

Vietnam, Steve, it's in Vietnam.

:idea:

Unlike the certain special someone disgorging from the oily well of dereliction to settle upon the troubled shoulder of meretricious equanimousity, gorging on the salubrious fruit of dismay while urinating in the flimsy pocket of hope.

Ahh, so that's where the crack pipe has ended up! :wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Updated table after today's games. Some pretty good scoring overall with only a couple of zeros. Winner was Maverick with 4 points, well done to you!

As usual some interesting movement in the table but Exile continues his imperious ride to the prediction title, it seems, extending his lead yet again. Will anyone be able to catch or stop him?!!

There is a full set of fixtures on Tuesday eve, so the thread is already up and running.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:21 am

...and it's all gone quiet, all gone quiet, all gone quiet over there... :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 am

Exile wrote:...and it's all gone quiet, all gone quiet, all gone quiet over there... :D

I've been having some.... voice problems.... *cough*

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:...and it's all gone quiet, all gone quiet, all gone quiet over there... :D

I've been having some.... voice problems.... *cough*

I won't (daren't) ask why ...

:wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:30 pm

Here is the updated table after last night's games. A very strange set of results again and low scores. As Jesus Jones once sang, "zeroes and ones will take us there!" Over half of predictors got a big fat zero and only 3 people scored more than a point! :shock: Also, a large number of regular predictors didn't predict which had an effect on table movement. Top scorers were canadian_saddler and JaySaddler with 3 points, well done! They now both have 3 weekly wins this season.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:38 pm

When did I miss a week? Didn't think I had missed any yet?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:When did I miss a week? Didn't think I had missed any yet?

Gutted... yesterday? I definitely predicted... Exile must have deleted it... I need to check the moderator logs. Definitely did - gutted

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Clawing back the points ...

And a game in hand ...

:D

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:

Gutted... yesterday? I definitely predicted... Exile must have deleted it... I need to check the moderator logs. Definitely did - gutted

:( Gutted to be drawn in as the bogeyman in your little charade. Not my fault you didn't hit the 'submit' button and wait to check it appeared. I blame your over-reliance on tapatalk. :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:33 am

Exile wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:

:( Gutted to be drawn in as the bogeyman in your little charade. Not my fault you didn't hit the 'submit' button and wait to check it appeared. I blame your over-reliance on tapatalk. :wink:

:twisted:

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:49 pm

I missed one the other week, totally forgot I hadn't posted.

I did think about asking if I could still guess due to the fact that I hadn't looked at the results :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Amateurs! :roll:

The closest I've come is pushing it for time and having to get a ferry across a swollen river in Cambodia... I got no points anyway. :D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:08 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:

I was a bit surprised when I saw how many regular predictors didn't predict on Tues. I always go back through the thread when working out scores to make sure I haven't missed anyone. There is no post on the week 19 thread from you though Steve. If you did predict and there was a malfunction of some sort on the board, and can dig out the post somewhere via your moderator powers (!) then let me know and I'll sort out the table.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:

I was a bit surprised when I saw how many regular predictors didn't predict on Tues. I always go back through the thread when working out scores to make sure I haven't missed anyone. There is no post on the week 19 thread from you though Steve. If you did predict and there was a malfunction of some sort on the board, and can dig out the post somewhere via your moderator powers (!) then let me know and I'll sort out the table.

My machine-like efficiency has people giving up in droves. :twisted:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:

If only I could make it up - but the other mods would "out" me. I know I predicted (or thought I had) a Tranmere win... so thats one game I got wrong

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:11 am

Whitti Steve wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:

If only I could make it up - but the other mods would "out" me. I know I predicted (or thought I had) a Tranmere win... so thats one game I got wrong

Didn't you send it to me? I can vouch for the 4 points you picked up. I'll do the same and send you mine this week. :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:35 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:

Didn't you send it to me? I can vouch for the 4 points you picked up. I'll do the same and send you mine this week. :wink:

:mrgreen:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Table after today's games is below. It was a bit of a 'sound check' week with lots of 1s and 2s, but the winner was Exile with 3 points, well done on the consistently good scoring! His purple patch must stop at some point folks - keep the faith everyone!! :wink:

The postponed game between Donny and Oldham is on Tuesday night so I will update the table again after that as it affects a good few people.

Next week is the FA Cup round 2, so the thread for that will be up from Tues night as well.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Never expected that when I put my picks in, on the mobile, at the top of a hill to get reception, in the middle of a weekend fishing trip. This time last season I'd have given up and flagged it, but this year, to fulfil my promise of predicting every week I made the effort. Looks like it was worth it. No doubt saigon and whitti have concoted some cunning plan to take over the competition, lose some weeks' predictions, make something up to take the place of the real scores and give themselves some much-needed points, but for now they'll have to enjoy a meal of old crow and sour grapes, washed down with bitter whine. :mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics