Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2012

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Summer Transfer Rumours 2012

Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Sadders wrote:Did we get taken over by a middle eastern Tycoon at some point this afternoon? It's one of thoose sitautions where he'd been told by McInnes to go on loan and his agent would look at the list of teams offered, he'd see Walsall and not even list it to Brett - He'l not only be on 6 or 7k a week, he'd get another championship club or a side like Sheffield United at the very, very worst. We'l be loaning a player from a poor championship team, that's either been injured for a very long time or can't hit a barn door with a banjo. Dave Hibbert from Peterborough being the perfect shout. The other loan signing will probably be that left back from Bristol City. Play J Chambers at right back, a new signing at left back - Taundry and Benning for back up and hopefully Purkiss can agree to cancel his contract or be loaned back to Hereford immediately. He's pap.

Ha yeah, fair enough. It all depends on who else wants the loanee that we've targeted, and how much the parent club is prepared to subsidise the wages. When you look at who we've got rid of and who we've signed, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a decent chunk of wages still left available. If Bury can sign David Healy then I don't see why we shouldn't set our sights on someone of equal calibre.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:50 pm

For me, we just need a striker who knows the basics of playing with his back to goal and will give centre halves something to think about for an hour and a half on a Saturday afternoon. It might be that someone like Dave Hibbert can do just that - I'm sure there are plenty other available too though.

As Registered says, we must have a bit of room in the budget for someone. A cheeky win at QPR on Tuesday could even pave the way for someone decent.

elm,saddler

Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:59 pm

Heard a rumour we gonna sign a striker.young lad been banging em in so far this season.think his name is Alex nicholls :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:31 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:For me, we just need a striker who knows the basics of playing with his back to goal and will give centre halves something to think about for an hour and a half on a Saturday afternoon. It might be that someone like Dave Hibbert can do just that - I'm sure there are plenty other available too though.

As Registered says, we must have a bit of room in the budget for someone. A cheeky win at QPR on Tuesday could even pave the way for someone decent.

James Hayter would have been perfect. Cannot believe we couldn't rival Yeovil for him.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:For me, we just need a striker who knows the basics of playing with his back to goal and will give centre halves something to think about for an hour and a half on a Saturday afternoon. It might be that someone like Dave Hibbert can do just that - I'm sure there are plenty other available too though.

James Hayter would have been perfect. Cannot believe we couldn't rival Yeovil for him.

Indeed. You'd have thought the O'Kelly factor may have helped as well.

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Tom Barkhuizen has gone to Fleetwood on loan, impressed while on loan at Hereford last season. Would be surprised if we haven't looked at him. (Genuinely, not just another moaning ex Hereford post.)

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:30 am

I see Scott Dobie has joined York.

Not the most prolific but could have done ok for us as a target man I would have thought.

York must have found some £ down the back of the sofa 'cos they have signed Clarke Carlisle as well!!

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:34 am

Not necissarily, they might just approach those sort of players and offer them a contract.Most players will go anywhere rather than be out of work.If we said to Walsall try and sign Scott Dobie they would immediately say "ooh he's out of our price range" so York sign him! If you don't ask, you don't get!!!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Not necissarily, they might just approach those sort of players and offer them a contract.Most players will go anywhere rather than be out of work.If we said to Walsall try and sign Scott Dobie they would immediately say "ooh he's out of our price range" so York sign him! If you don't ask, you don't get!!!

Yeah, you have to knock on the door! There was an interesting blog / article with Clarke Carlisle on the bbc sport website this week where he mentioned that he had turned down 2 offers at the start of the summer, both offering 80-90% LESS than what he was on last year. Thought he could get better and didn't so was hoping something would come up, obviously York did.

With so many footballers unattached (the list provided as part of the blog was interesting!) clubs can afford to offer way less in wages now as its a gamble for players to turn offers down in the hope they get another, better offer. Basic choice for players is, do what you love for at least something, or sit around doing nothing for nothing. Baffles me when you hear of some footballers who have turned down what is a pretty good weekly wage just because it wasn't what they were on a season or two ago, when maybe they were better. You get paid what you're (deemed to be) worth. If you think you deserve more, maybe just sign for 6 months, play well, and then hopefully attract interest from other clubs that will then pay you more!

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:50 am

Exactly! Who would have thought that Andy Taylor and James Chambers would have signed on non contract terms anywhere? But they have because they just want to prove their worth and try and get a contract.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:16 am

Its a bit like charity work on your cv i guess....

Bernie
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:27 am

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Andy Taylor and James Chambers were free agents and have signed for Walsall on temporary contracts. But when the transfer window closes tonight it looks as if they will be registered as Walsall players. From my reading of the rules that should mean that their registration cannot be transferred to another club until the next window opens in January. But that does not seem to be what happens. Am I right that players who are registered with a club when a window closes, even if only on a week by week basis, are no longer free agents?

The rule as I read it says
Football League regulation 64.9.3 wrote: ...If the week to week contract expires during a Closed Period then the Player will not be eligible to play for another Football League Club until the commencement of the next following Transfer Window

Are they going to have to be unregistered today and re-registered tomorrow in order to be able to get round this, or have I got it completely wrong?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:04 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:Not necissarily, they might just approach those sort of players and offer them a contract.Most players will go anywhere rather than be out of work.If we said to Walsall try and sign Scott Dobie they would immediately say "ooh he's out of our price range" so York sign him! If you don't ask, you don't get!!!

Yeah, you have to knock on the door! There was an interesting blog / article with Clarke Carlisle on the bbc sport website this week where he mentioned that he had turned down 2 offers at the start of the summer, both offering 80-90% LESS than what he was on last year. Thought he could get better and didn't so was hoping something would come up, obviously York did.

With so many footballers unattached (the list provided as part of the blog was interesting!) clubs can afford to offer way less in wages now as its a gamble for players to turn offers down in the hope they get another, better offer. Basic choice for players is, do what you love for at least something, or sit around doing nothing for nothing. Baffles me when you hear of some footballers who have turned down what is a pretty good weekly wage just because it wasn't what they were on a season or two ago, when maybe they were better. You get paid what you're (deemed to be) worth. If you think you deserve more, maybe just sign for 6 months, play well, and then hopefully attract interest from other clubs that will then pay you more!

Clarke Carlisle said on Soccer Am on Saturday that he wanted to move to a club, close enough to home that he could commute as he didn't want to move his kids to another school.

Players have their own reasons for joining the clubs they do, its not just a case of offering a contract or the most money.

Thankfully we have an excellent training ground to attract players so we can get away with offering lower wages.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:52 pm

Bernie wrote:Can anyone clarify this for me?

Andy Taylor and James Chambers were free agents and have signed for Walsall on temporary contracts. But when the transfer window closes tonight it looks as if they will be registered as Walsall players. From my reading of the rules that should mean that their registration cannot be transferred to another club until the next window opens in January. But that does not seem to be what happens. Am I right that players who are registered with a club when a window closes, even if only on a week by week basis, are no longer free agents?

I thought exactly the same thing when Pompey signed a squad full of players on month-long contracts. I haven't read this anywhere but my impression would be that they will not be able to sign for anyone apart from Portsmouth until January 1 if they play for them tomorrow. Footballers are idiots.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:09 am

Message to Mods.

Might as well lock this thread. No ones coming and we're into Autumn now.

Previous
Return to UTS Classics