Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2012

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Re: Summer Transfer Rumours 2012

Sat May 05, 2012 11:41 am

JJunior9 wrote:Thanks for the info saddla - I didn't realise that about the contract extension.

I do get frustrated when I see clubs like Bradford and Oxford getting players like Andrew Davies and Marc Wilson. Surely if a player puts in a transfer request because they want to player at a higher level, clubs won't stand in their way though. I agree that Bonser won't release funds but if, as rumoured, we got £200k for Mannie Smith from Middlesbro, I would like to see the club invest this in young, hungry players.

Ultimately, if we have skilful, creative forward players, the fans will come back because the football we play will be entertaining.

If we get slow, journeymen, lumbering forwards (Parkin, Macken, etc) we are probably forced to play a certain brand of football because they won't have the pace to get 'around the back'.

Young players are fast but don't always have the brains to make the diagonal runs; old players like Macken are great (I would like to see him given another year on reduced terms to help out the younger players like Bowerman) but in my view, Smith desperately needs to freshen things up.

Fans like 'local lads that have done good' but they also like the prospect of exciting signings. I would happily take Davies and Wells from Bradford as a signal of intent (about twenty years ago, we signed a couple of players from a team in claret and orange for money and it transformed our team - both players were in the PFA team of the season). To add interest to the thread, can anyone name them (they would both get in my Walsall best XI from the teams I have watched in the last 30 years)?

Andy Dornan and Graeme Forbes, from Motherwell, in1986.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat May 05, 2012 1:08 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
JJunior9 wrote:Thanks for the info saddla - I didn't realise that about the contract extension.

I do get frustrated when I see clubs like Bradford and Oxford getting players like Andrew Davies and Marc Wilson. Surely if a player puts in a transfer request because they want to player at a higher level, clubs won't stand in their way though. I agree that Bonser won't release funds but if, as rumoured, we got £200k for Mannie Smith from Middlesbro, I would like to see the club invest this in young, hungry players.

Ultimately, if we have skilful, creative forward players, the fans will come back because the football we play will be entertaining.

If we get slow, journeymen, lumbering forwards (Parkin, Macken, etc) we are probably forced to play a certain brand of football because they won't have the pace to get 'around the back'.

Young players are fast but don't always have the brains to make the diagonal runs; old players like Macken are great (I would like to see him given another year on reduced terms to help out the younger players like Bowerman) but in my view, Smith desperately needs to freshen things up.

Fans like 'local lads that have done good' but they also like the prospect of exciting signings. I would happily take Davies and Wells from Bradford as a signal of intent (about twenty years ago, we signed a couple of players from a team in claret and orange for money and it transformed our team - both players were in the PFA team of the season). To add interest to the thread, can anyone name them (they would both get in my Walsall best XI from the teams I have watched in the last 30 years)?

Andy Dornan and Graeme Forbes, from Motherwell, in1986.

Huge signings at the time along with Trevor Christie

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Sat May 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks gerryhattrick and ihatethecorps: of course you are spot on. It is interesting that we have been linked with Dave Clarkson today (who made his name at Motherwell). Maybe this will be a good omen. He can't be any worse than Gnakpa, Jarvis (who scored today) and Nicholls (who didn't).

Roll on next season.

The giddy optimism has flooded over me already :lol:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat May 05, 2012 10:21 pm

JJunior9 wrote:Thanks gerryhattrick and ihatethecorps: of course you are spot on. It is interesting that we have been linked with Dave Clarkson today (who made his name at Motherwell). Maybe this will be a good omen. He can't be any worse than Gnakpa, Jarvis (who scored today) and Nicholls (who didn't).

Roll on next season.

The giddy optimism has flooded over me already :lol:

Parkin and Atieno did as well!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun May 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Another rumour floating around on Twitter is that we're in talks with Arsenal over a loan deal for Costa Rican striker, Joel Campbell.

Everything I've seen, heard and read tells me that Mantom has really enjoyed his time with us since he signed. Like Cuvelier, he seems open to the idea of another spell with us - and I think we've got a much better chance of signing him permanently if West Brom want to let him go. I think he's got another couple of years left on his contract there though.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sun May 06, 2012 7:24 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Another rumour floating around on Twitter is that we're in talks with Arsenal over a loan deal for Costa Rican striker, Joel Campbell.

Everything I've seen, heard and read tells me that Mantom has really enjoyed his time with us since he signed. Like Cuvelier, he seems open to the idea of another spell with us - and I think we've got a much better chance of signing him permanently if West Brom want to let him go. I think he's got another couple of years left on his contract there though.

I would imagine that if West Brom released him he would fancy a championship club, I do feel that he's not quite ready for that yet, but I suspect he sees it very differently. Also Twitter is fast replacing Football rumours and Nick Mashiter for bullshit.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2012

Sun May 06, 2012 7:28 pm

If we sign Joel Campbell, I'll run and cack at the same time.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun May 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Sadsfan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Another rumour floating around on Twitter is that we're in talks with Arsenal over a loan deal for Costa Rican striker, Joel Campbell.

I would imagine that if West Brom released him he would fancy a championship club, I do feel that he's not quite ready for that yet, but I suspect he sees it very differently. Also Twitter is fast replacing Football rumours and Nick Mashiter for rubbish.

I suspect he's unlikely to get himself a Championship club just yet. Let's not forget, he didn't get any glowing references from Tranmere or Oldham before he joined us.

As for Twitter, I disagree. After all, wasn't it George Boateng himself who tweeted to say Mashiter's story was a load of rubbish?! Straight from the horse's mouth.

Lukeyboy
UTS Legend

Mon May 07, 2012 10:55 am

I know he has already been mentioned but giles coke in my opinion would be a decent and realistic signing. Andy Gray ex barnsley is availble but he is now 34.

Lukeyboy
UTS Legend

Mon May 07, 2012 11:13 am

Leon Clarke anybody? I know an ex dingle but...

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2012 11:13 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:If we sign Joel Campbell, I'll run and cack at the same time.

:lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2012 12:30 pm

Clubs will look at us more favourably when wanting to loan out young players, after this season i think.

Mantom is a more realistic target for a loan next year, i dont think we wil get anywhere near Cuvelier again. I think Mantom is a good player but Championship clubs wont be interested.

Jimmy Walker is set to sign another year, i would hope thats more in coaching terms than playing.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon May 07, 2012 12:53 pm

latviancheese wrote:Clubs will look at us more favourably when wanting to loan out young players, after this season i think.

Mantom is a more realistic target for a loan next year, i dont think we wil get anywhere near Cuvelier again. I think Mantom is a good player but Championship clubs wont be interested.

I agree. The trick isn't necessarily to try and keep Cuvelier - much as I'd like it to happen - but to find next season's Cuvelier. They've got to be out there at WBA, Stoke, or even Villa.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon May 07, 2012 4:30 pm

King Crimson wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Clubs will look at us more favourably when wanting to loan out young players, after this season i think.

I agree. The trick isn't necessarily to try and keep Cuvelier - much as I'd like it to happen - but to find next season's Cuvelier. They've got to be out there at WBA, Stoke, or even Villa.

Or a Gary O'Neil or Andrew Surman. We have done it before.

cheslyn_hay_saddler

Location: Cheslyn Hay - R.I.P. Granddad Butch...my inspiration to supporting WFC

Reuben Reid

Mon May 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Reuben Reid has been released from Oldham http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11719/7738378/. Would anyone take him back? Scored quite a few goals for us. I would :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Reuben Reid

Mon May 07, 2012 5:05 pm

cheslyn_hay_saddler wrote:Reuben Reid has been released from Oldham http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11719/7738378/. Would anyone take him back? Scored quite a few goals for us. I would :D

I'd certainly give it some thought on the basis that he's better than both Nicholls and Hurst, who both look like they'll be off.

Add Simpson, Lee, Morais and Wesolowski to that list too. It's a bit depressing that Oldham have so many players who'd improve our side.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon May 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Or a Gary O'Neil or Andrew Surman. We have done it before.

We were a Championship level side when we borrowed O'Neil and it was Merson's friendship with 'Arry Redknapp that got us Surman (who preferred Bornmuff when he next went out on loan).

We are not such an attractive proposition to join now and I don't think that Dean Smith has as many contacts in the game yet.

cheslyn_hay_saddler

Location: Cheslyn Hay - R.I.P. Granddad Butch...my inspiration to supporting WFC

Mon May 07, 2012 5:42 pm

he was with us with half a season scoring 3 goals. I think with a better winger (instead of Hurst, Pato's alright) he'd score more. I remember his goal vs chesterfield in the JPT what a goal. :D

Blackheath Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon May 07, 2012 5:43 pm

We've already got one sick note in the squad! We don't need another one no thanks

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon May 07, 2012 5:54 pm

He was available at the end of last season on a free and we didn't bother although I would.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2012 6:02 pm

cheslyn_hay_saddler wrote:he was with us with half a season scoring 3 goals. I think with a better winger (instead of Hurst, Pato's alright) he'd score more. I remember his goal vs chesterfield in the JPT what a goal. :D

NO THANKYOU......

2 of those against the mighty Fleetwood....Hail Super Jim for saving us from embarrassment

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2012 6:06 pm

I wouldn't mind him.

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Mon May 07, 2012 6:14 pm

No thanks

Thought he was far better than he actually was.

Doesn't play enough , Oldham don't want him. End of.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2012 6:19 pm

cheslyn_hay_saddler wrote:he was with us with half a season scoring 3 goals. I think with a better winger (instead of Hurst, Pato's alright) he'd score more. I remember his goal vs chesterfield in the JPT what a goal. :D

I day think we had a chance of signing Pato! Wonder if Ibrahimovic would come too?

Cully
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Beejesus, stop starting new threads. If you want to invite some hapless pointless drivel about someone with two legs post it in the Summer Transfer Rumours 2012 [mind numbing waffle] thread.

Here's my contribution.............he's got two legs [probably] repeat ad nauseum on every new rumours post.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Cully wrote:Beejesus, stop starting new threads. If you want to invite some hapless pointless drivel about someone with two legs post it in the Summer Transfer Rumours 2012 [mind numbing waffle] thread.

Here's my contribution.............he's got two legs [probably] repeat ad nauseum on every new rumours post.

Bet your a bundle of laughs on a night out!

Duke
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Much better option than Nicholls

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Same old same old

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2012 9:07 am

Ashley Vincent at Colchester has been given a free. If he could prove his fitness could be a decent player.

Lukeyboy
UTS Legend

Tue May 08, 2012 12:23 pm

not sure

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics