Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2012

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
mac-swifty

Re: Summer Transfer Rumours 2012

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:42 am

Blackheath Saddler wrote:
The Dingles are set to sign Jamie Paterson for £200,000 yow watch this rumour turn out to be true because it involves losing one of our best players and because its them dirty dingles too

Not anywhere in site last night!

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:16 pm

mac-swifty wrote:Blackheath Saddler wrote:
The Dingles are set to sign Jamie Paterson for £200,000 yow watch this rumour turn out to be true because it involves losing one of our best players and because its them dirty dingles too

Not anywhere in site last night!

That's because he was injured.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:20 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
Walsall_Casual wrote:James Chambers is quality and if he signs will (in my opinion) be one of our main men. He has a few good options now so if he does sign would be a major coup for us.

Has turned down another contract offer hence why hes not playing

Smith says he's injured in the Excuse and Dingle.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:
Walsall_Casual wrote:James Chambers is quality and if he signs will (in my opinion) be one of our main men. He has a few good options now so if he does sign would be a major coup for us.

Whether he was or not, it should either be Stewart or Chambers now - and it's looking like Stewart is in pole position. The pleasing (using the term loosely) part of Smith's comments today is the comment that he's still looking at players. A striker remains an absolute essential.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:28 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

Whether he was or not, it should either be Stewart or Chambers now - and it's looking like Stewart is in pole position. The pleasing (using the term loosely) part of Smith's comments today is the comment that he's still looking at players. A striker remains an absolute essential.

Well,someone who can link play up. A striker who can lay with his back to goal would be ideal

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Doesn't have to be a big target man (That is so 1990's) - as Neil states, if we play 433 - it has to be someone who is good on the ball and can be that linchpin between attack and midfield. Someone, funnily enough like Jon Macken, but with a bit more mobility would be ideal.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

Well,someone who can link play up. A striker who can lay with his back to goal would be ideal

That's exactly the kind of player we're missing. I'd like to think Smith is considering playing 3 across midfield with 2 attackers (Hemmings and Paterson) supporting a striker from wide. With three across midfield, Cuvelier will also be able to have a bit more freedom to get forward, which is where he'll make the strongest impact.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:53 pm

I would like to see:

........................Grof.............................

......James Chambers Downing Butler Stewart....

.............Cuvelier Chambers Mantom............

...Paterson/Brandy Link-Up-Striker Hemmings..

I think would be approaching something decent actually.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Don't forget that James Chambers can (and has) play in midfiield, in the same position as his brother, and Stewart can play left midfield as well as left back - and has done in the past. I think theres room for both

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:I would like to see:

Agreed. 4 4 2 is SO passé, isn't it?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:19 pm

That's what I've got in mind, but would take Taundry or Perkiss at right back. As you say, depending on who we bring in as the focal point up front, it doesn't look too bad and isn't a complete pipedream either - should certainly be achievable.

For me, the key is that we play that formation as we need to get Cuvelier as far up the pitch as we can. For all his worth last season, he always looked quite stifled in a 4-4-2.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:26 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

That's what I've got in mind, but would take Taundry or Perkiss at right back. As you say, depending on who we bring in as the focal point up front, it doesn't look too bad and isn't a complete pipedream either - should certainly be achievable.

For me, the key is that we play that formation as we need to get Cuvelier as far up the pitch as we can. For all his worth last season, he always looked quite stifled in a 4-4-2.

I am a big believer that if we play football in a formation that encourages it - we can make more out of the players we have got. I would rather play good football and pass teams to death than play 442 with a big boffer up front.

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Grof

J.Chambers---Downing---Butler---Stewart

A.Chambers---Mantom

Hemmings---Cuvelier---Brandy

Heskey

Or realistically, take Heskey out, but replace with a big target man who the 3 attacking mids can play off!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I am a big believer that if we play football in a formation that encourages it - we can make more out of the players we have got. I would rather play good football and pass teams to death than play 442 with a big boffer up front.

Completely agree. In Cuvelier, we probably have one of the best midfielders in the league, so it'd be a waste not to use him where he's most effective.

To a certain extent, a similar principle applies to Paterson, Brandy and Hemmings. If you limit the amount of tracking back and defending they're required to do, they'll do more damage up front. It's the Ray Graydon principle - give each player one job to do and expect them to do it well.

Ken Barlow
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:09 pm

David Hibbert, anyone? Peterbrough have said he can go out on loan. 6ft 2 striker, only 26.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Ken Barlow wrote:David Hibbert, anyone? Peterbrough have said he can go out on loan. 6ft 2 striker, only 26.

I'd still class him as too much of a gamble. Had six half decent months with Shrewsbury in League Two which led to his move to Peterbrough, but he's more or less been injured ever since.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:42 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Completely agree. In Cuvelier, we probably have one of the best midfielders in the league, so it'd be a waste not to use him where he's most effective.

To a certain extent, a similar principle applies to Paterson, Brandy and Hemmings. If you limit the amount of tracking back and defending they're required to do, they'll do more damage up front. It's the Ray Graydon principle - give each player one job to do and expect them to do it well.

I agree but we need a Plan B, something we've really lacked in the previous 2 seasons.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:08 pm

saddlersam wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I agree but we need a Plan B, something we've really lacked in the previous 2 seasons.

Thing is, you need a plan A before you can think about a plan B. :wink:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Rushall Saddler wrote:Deon Burton has signed for Gillingham, turning down a league one club in the process. Could have been us considering his highly successful loan spell a few years ago. :shock:

was it highly succesful, i remember him being here but when he was here im not sure or how much he did in a red shirt, little help please.

Hairy Saddlebags
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:40 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
Rushall Saddler wrote:Deon Burton has signed for Gillingham, turning down a league one club in the process. Could have been us considering his highly successful loan spell a few years ago. :shock:

was it highly succesful, i remember him being here but when he was here im not sure or how much he did in a red shirt, little help please.

WHOOOOOOSH

HTH

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:50 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

If he hasn't turned down our contract offer, then WHY HASN'T HE SIGNED?

He's been on trial for weeks. If we are still undecided then he isn't good enough. Obviously he's turned down the contract offer and both parties are playing hard ball.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:31 pm

Enniskillen wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

If he hasn't turned down our contract offer, then WHY HASN'T HE SIGNED?

He's been on trial for weeks. If we are still undecided then he isn't good enough. Obviously he's turned down the contract offer and both parties are playing hard ball.

Probably - I was quibbling with the statement that he was missing last night because he hadn't signed. Doesn't necessarily follow.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:49 pm

First it was family problems and its because hes injured, what aload of guano. Wish they would just admit they have offerd him 2 contracts which he deems derogatory, instead of feeding us with this flannel

JeffPeron

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Another happy clapper!! :wink: :wink:

But you dont know its flannel at all - its just your negative take on things. He's obviously trying to get the best deal for him, and is playing hardball with the club, it doesn't mean the club is making excuses, unless of course , like others on here, you know but you cant tell us!!

Lets wait and see

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:57 pm

How about this? Maybe they are negotiating. Not one, not the other.

:roll:

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:03 am

We'll see!

walsallfcconnor
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 am

we'm nuffin' without Beevers.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:36 am

walsallfcconnor wrote:we'm nuffin' without Beevers.

He hoofed so much it was in his heart and soul.........Hoof-hearted :mrgreen:

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:37 am

Beevers always decieved by looking tight, but once the attacker had managed to get close they would often thrust inside and find that there was loads of room, this often made him seem sloppy.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 am

The Red Prince wrote:

Beevers always decieved by looking tight, but once the attacker had managed to get close they would often thrust inside and find that there was loads of room, this often made him seem sloppy.

Fnarr fnarr...

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics