Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

F.A. Cup Prediction League Table 2011-12

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: F.A. Cup Prediction League Table 2011-12

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:10 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Double points?! 8)

That's new :idea:

But nice to be the predictor for whom they had to change the rules :D 8) :D

SaigonSaddler in "I totally forgot we did this last year too" attention-seeking post shocker.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:wink:

Last year was some nonsense about predicting extra time results - which is why everyone went for normal time draws and extra time results. :idea:

FACT 8)

Maybe the rules will change for you next year (assuming you can improve enough) :D

I love the Classics From The Past archive, as it sets in stone certain things that revisionists like yourself would be keen to bury. Sadly, once it's on the internet, it's always there, and the following post proves that last year's semis and final were double points rounds too:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35910&start=30#p889231

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:39 pm

Nonsense.

All that proves is that you had the motive and opportunity to go back and change the archives.

And that you were equally as useless at predicting last year too.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Don't get delusions of grandeur! :wink:
As Exile has pointed out, it is all there in black and white and not some sudden whim to try and ensure another prediction loss for you in the end, Mr Paranoid! :mrgreen: :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:

As Exile has pointed out, it is all there in black and white and not some sudden whim to try and ensure another prediction loss for you in the end, Mr Paranoid! :mrgreen: :wink:

Exactly. In his travels around the fleshpots of South East Asia, it's obvious that encountering the ideals of Pol Pot and revisionist history has left an indelible impression on young Saigon's fragile mind. Sadly he forgets that as a 'teacher'* he'd be in the killing fields with the rest.

* those who can, do, those who can't....

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:

I prefer my explanation as a hedge against any unfortunate slippage. Anyway, he has form. :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Exile wrote:those who can, do, those who can't....

.....fail abysmally in various and assorted prediction league disasters?

:D

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:09 pm

I'm ripping up your UTS board improvements beta-testing invite. Slum it with the plebs a while longer. :evil:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Exile wrote:I'm ripping up your UTS board improvements beta-testing invite. Slum it with the plebs a while longer. :evil:

:lol: :wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:50 pm

Here is updated table after the semi finals this weekend.
Quite a spread of scores with an equal number of blobs and 2s. Top score was 6 points for me!! :oops: :D
There were a few 4 pointers too, so some movement in the table and all set for a battle for the title on final day on May 5th!!
Saigon still leads the way but he has a few people breathing down his neck!

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Johnny, you've omitted to add in the re-arranged QF that Tottenham
won 3-1, as correctly predicted by Fray Bentos and myself.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:00 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:Johnny, you've omitted to add in the re-arranged QF that Tottenham

Abandoned, I'm afraid GT. I also got it right btw - along with everyone else. :wink:

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:20 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:Johnny, you've omitted to add in the re-arranged QF that Tottenham

Abandoned, I'm afraid GT. I also got it right btw - along with everyone else. :wink:

No, you'll find that you and 'everyone else' had the correct result, not the score.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:29 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

No, yOu'll fInD thAt yOu anD 'eVeRYoNe elSe' haD tHE cORreCt rESUlt, nOt tHe sCoRe!!!!!!!

Pressure getting to you GHT? It's only a game. Anyway, JJ said it was void if you check back - just trying to help mate. :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWHXPz6qF7g[/youtube]

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Here is the FINAL table for the FA Cup Prediction League 2011-12.
The final result of Chelsea winning 2-1 left 3 winners this week with 4 points each: Stig 231, canadiansaddler and me!!
So, that leaves the eventual winner as... me! :oops: :mrgreen:
Just managed to pip Saigon into second place, which helps to make it mean so much more after his victory in the League 1 Prediction League! :wink:

Hopefully more of you will enter into the cup spirit next season as well as doing the league 1 prediction league - maybe some of you are like me - more of a cup team!! :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2012 9:51 pm

I shall share my thoughts on this after my self-imposed 24 hour period of reflection. :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue May 08, 2012 5:36 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:I shall share my thoughts on this after my self-imposed 24 hour period of reflection. :wink:

Shall I tell the story, or shall you?

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:I shall share my thoughts on this after my self-imposed 24 hour period of reflection. :wink:

I think the story of the final is plain for all to see!!! :lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

I think the story of the final is plain for all to see!!! :lol:

Trust me, it's a beauty.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2012 6:23 pm

>>>

Let me be among the first to unreservedly congratulate Jolly Johnny on a perfectly timed surge and richly deserved victory in the FA cup predictions contest! Never let it be said that I am a bad loser (something claimed by a growing number of dismayed students receiving unexpectedly very low grades after winning a fun game of classroom eye-spy, beating me, embarrassing me and making look foolish in front of the whole class).

However.....

Blighted by poor luck
The ball clearly crossed the line for Liverpool in the cup final, something that was cruelly denied by the combination of corrupt officials and the incompetent FA. It seems the only people with a clear view were Kenny Dalglish and Luis Suarez. What a pity that the corpulent, lazy and incompetent officials couldn’t keep up with play enough to make an accurate assessment. This ridiculous oversight is a big reason why the game is dying and cost everyone on UTS a legitimate result in this years FA cup prediction competition. The disappointment of this travesty was further compounded by me girlishly shrieking with delight as the Radio 5 commentators said that it was a goal, compelling me to screech loudly from the window of a moving car and turn to Gary and state with some accuracy - “look at the face, just look at the face, this is the face of victory! Look upon the face of triumph and you will despair!” A full 20 seconds later, as the volume declined, the horrifying reality of the situation become apparent - something that Gary regrettably found exceedingly hilarious - the bad news being compounded by his raucous laughter for the remainder of the trip. The buoyant mood was suppressed and killed. Exhortations of success replaced with a wobbling lower lip, while a single tear traced its lonely path down a reddened cheek. For this I blame the FA, Blatter, Roy Hodgeson, the entire city of Liverpool and all media stations.

Cheated
I have to comment upon the absurd tacking on of ‘double points’ for the last two sessions of play - something that has obviously proved to be a monumental error. This unnecessary reverse engineering is something clearly designed to give weaker participants a stake in the later stages. Without it, I would have achieved victory as the points would have been me on 23, and others on less. The annoying issue of the Tottenham v Bolton result, something repeatedly brought up by the constant whining of gerryhatrick (no offence) as someone lay technically dead on a cold pitch would be equally irrelevant as this amounted to a single additional point gain. I take a monstrously massive amount of comfort in the fact that by using normal and sensible rules I would retain a leading position. Lawyers are currently embarking upon an expensive consultation process, despite professional advice of it not being ’worth it’, ‘bloody stupid‘ and ‘mind-numbingly idiotic‘. I blame youth, poor diets, equal opportunities, health and safety and the media circus engendering the compulsion to win at all costs.

Led Astray
In a pub on Thursday evening I spoke to an old school friend called Bob, who enthusiastically informed me that his mother was convinced that Liverpool would win, citing a long history of prior clairvoyant success. This seeded the idea of predicting a draw. However, let’s see just how effective the Aldridge answer to Nostrodamus is at predicting a generous scattering of dog excreta appearing over the driveway of the family home. I blame Bob and Bob’s mother.

Mistimed
Next, I actually was going to predict a 2-1 Chelsea win. The reason I did not do so is largely because of the fact that the FA cup final was played on the very same day as the final League One games and I was embroiled in choosing predictions for the other league. I chose the FA cup final result just before leaving to Milton Keynes, having noted that JJ’s and GHT’s results were for 2-1 wins to Chelsea and Liverpool respectively. I thought that a 1-1 result would be nicely balanced and anyway something that I could change later as I was aware of GHT’s annoying habit of villainously altering predictions at the last minute. This was foolish of me and displayed a kind of fuzzy softness I thought I had expunged from my character long ago.

Unfortunately, I was unable to make alterations due of the insistence of the selfish Walsall players to stand around clapping the fans at the end, Gary’s state of inebriation and resultant inability to operate a internet phone. I also do not own such a phone and have no idea how such a device works. Anyway, I was otherwise engaged in finding out other League One results which obviously took priority and had also been encouraged to drink alcoholic beers which rendered everything amusing. Too little time and inclination remained to change the result into a unbeatable Chelsea win of any kind, irrespective of the actual result as the worst case scenario would mean a shared victory. This would have been completely different in a normal situation, with more thinking time and opportunistic access to the internet, enabling me to shadow other predictions in a completely legal and morally acceptable manner. I blame football players, especially Walker and Jabo, mobile phones, alcohol, Gary and the last vestige of my flimsy moral compass.

Bitter
I hope that the combination of pertinent and relevant factors explained above does not turn the inappropriately sweet wine of success into a disgustingly sour potion of bitterness, disappointment and renders any warm feeling of glory into a cold blanket of irrelevance. Please refer to Fray Bentos, Manchester, Exile, gerryhatrick and Cully for more details - the only people who are truly aware of my real character (although others are beginning to understand).

Best wishes!
:D :wink:

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Tue May 08, 2012 8:31 pm

That's so sad. My right eye moistened, for a few seconds.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Being there as the commentator announced no goal was a high point in my life.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2012 9:45 pm

I almost bothered to read all that... :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed May 09, 2012 6:03 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:I almost bothered to read all that... :wink:

I'd cut and paste it into the league thread, and vice-versa, if I were you :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen: :wink:

Previous
Return to UTS Classics