Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Summer 2010 - official transfer rumours thread

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Summer 2010 - official transfer rumours thread

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:35 am

saddlerJP wrote:as well as convictions for another 14 offences

theft from a person and from a car, criminal damage, and attempting to obtain property by deception; fraudulent use of vehicle licence document, driving without insurance, speeding, drink driving; a wounding incident while playing amateur football, and two cases involving assault of young women rejecting his advances in the Soho area of London.

Yeah, but other than that he's alright :wink:

DiddyP
Glitterati

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:41 am

I'd happily see Lee Hughes and Marlon King here if we could, it'd give us a great strike force.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:44 am

DiddyP wrote:I'd happily see Lee Hughes and Marlon King here if we could, it'd give us a great strike force.

Marlon King yes, Lee Hughes NO

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:48 am

I'd certainly take Marlon King! I'd also take Lee Hughes to be honest. Hate the bloke but if he became our top scorer and took us up, who cares?! :D I wouldnt!

DiddyP
Glitterati

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:45 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
DiddyP wrote:I'd happily see Lee Hughes and Marlon King here if we could, it'd give us a great strike force.

I'd rather have them for us rather than against us...

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:54 pm

If we are talking about just footballing ability, then Lee Hughes still has it at this level, and Marlon King would be an amazing signing for any League One club.

If we had them both, i don't agree with what they both did, but goals help you win games, which can help to win promotion so on that basis i'd have them both!

DiddyP
Glitterati

Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Surprised we didn't make a move for this guy...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 89,00.html

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:09 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:

my view too

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:55 pm

DiddyP wrote:Surprised we didn't make a move for this guy...

Why? We've already got 3 young kids at centre half, the last thing we need is another centre half under the age of 20...

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:40 am

Stu wrote:

Why? We've already got 3 young kids at centre half, the last thing we need is another centre half under the age of 20...

spot on

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:05 pm

Duke wrote:
Stu wrote:

spot on

I'd have thought it more likely that as we've already had one Rod McDonald, getting another would confuse the club records.... :D

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:56 pm

http://www.leeds.vitalfootball.co.uk/ar ... p?a=207471

Would anyone like him as a replaced for deeney?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:08 am

WFC_Jimmy wrote:http://www.leeds.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=207471

No, 16 goals in 77 games is not what we need. He would get less than Nicholls.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:43 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
WFC_Jimmy wrote:http://www.leeds.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=207471

No, 16 goals in 77 games is not what we need. He would get less than Nicholls.

And how many of those 77 have been starts ?

I'd take Kandol over Deeney anyday of the week.

If Nicholls had the run in the side upfront Deeneys had he'd be 10 times the striker Deeney is.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:48 pm

I wouldn't go that far. But he certainly has the potential to be very good.
This is his golden opportunity and having Grigg breathing down his neck is excellent motivation too.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:45 am

And to further my statement, whos scored both of our 2 solitary pre season goals?

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:46 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:And to further my statement, whos scored both of our 2 solitary pre season goals?

And how many people actually read anything into any pre-season results or performances, by team or individual?

Not that I'm dis-agreeing with you, as I think Nicholls does deserve a decent run as a striker, but judging him on pre-season really means sod all.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:12 am

Stu wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:And to further my statement, whos scored both of our 2 solitary pre season goals?

And how many people actually read anything into any pre-season results or performances, by team or individual?

Not that I'm dis-agreeing with you, as I think Nicholls does deserve a decent run as a striker, but judging him on pre-season really means sod all.

Not on yesterday's performance. He looked particlarly clueless

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:10 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Stu wrote:

Granted, by all accounts... Yet you yourself also say the forwards got absolutely no service or creativity from anyone yesterday... For me, it also needs to be considered who he plays alongside. Byfield doesn't strike me as an ideal partner for Nicholls, as they both appear to do a similar type of job. I'd have thought Nicholls needs a big man, someone he can play off for flicks, knock downs and picking up the scraps around him, or where he can run the channels knowing we've got someone up top providing a target. With Byfield, he doesn't get that.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:29 am

Stu wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Stu wrote:

Granted, by all accounts... Yet you yourself also say the forwards got absolutely no service or creativity from anyone yesterday... For me, it also needs to be considered who he plays alongside. Byfield doesn't strike me as an ideal partner for Nicholls, as they both appear to do a similar type of job. I'd have thought Nicholls needs a big man, someone he can play off for flicks, knock downs and picking up the scraps around him, or where he can run the channels knowing we've got someone up top providing a target. With Byfield, he doesn't get that.

We've already moved him in to his 'preferred' position, Stu. Not sure how many more accommodations we need to make before Nicholls finally achieves. Think dropping the club captain is a step too far. Agree they don't complement each other, so Nicholls has to go for someone else.

I know you weren't suggesting dropping Byfield by the way.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:45 am

King Crimson wrote:We've already moved him in to his 'preferred' position, Stu. Not sure how many more accommodations we need to make before Nicholls finally achieves. Think dropping the club captain is a step too far. Agree they don't complement each other, so Nicholls has to go for someone else.

Its not so much accomodating him, its just getting the best out of him if we're going to play him there... For what its worth, I've never been bowled over by him to be honest and am surprised he got a 2 year deal, but I think we've got to decide what we want. For me, he was clearly only put up front yesterday because we had no other option bar Grigg.

For me, Nicholls is nowt more than a potential impact player off the bench, but only if he is playing alongside the right player, Byfield clearly isn't that player and clearly won't be dropped. We should have gone 4-3-3/4-5-1 yesterday from kick off as we've been trying that in pre-season, with Gray, Byfield and Jones the front 3.

We need a focal point up front, whether thats for Byfield or Nicholls to play off, I think thats what we're missing.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:50 am

Stu wrote:
King Crimson wrote:We've already moved him in to his 'preferred' position, Stu. Not sure how many more accommodations we need to make before Nicholls finally achieves. Think dropping the club captain is a step too far. Agree they don't complement each other, so Nicholls has to go for someone else.

Its not so much accomodating him, its just getting the best out of him if we're going to play him there... For what its worth, I've never been bowled over by him to be honest and am surprised he got a 2 year deal, but I think we've got to decide what we want. For me, he was clearly only put up front yesterday because we had no other option bar Grigg.

For me, Nicholls is nowt more than a potential impact player off the bench, but only if he is playing alongside the right player, Byfield clearly isn't that player and clearly won't be dropped. We should have gone 4-3-3/4-5-1 yesterday from kick off as we've been trying that in pre-season, with Gray, Byfield and Jones the front 3.

We need a focal point up front, whether thats for Byfield or Nicholls to play off, I think thats what we're missing.

I think we're all set up for 4-3-3, except for the '1' in the middle up front. Byfield isn't the all-round player that's needed. We've got full backs who look comfortable with providing width in attack, Jones and Gray and Nicholls could fill the two berths for attacking players who'll "cut in", and we could play Marshall, Taundry and Richards across the middle (and I'd take the touchlines in five yards each side to help them). But will Byfield or Nicholls (or Grigg) play the lone striker role effectively? Not convinced.
Have to say though that yesterday we were crying out for something different by half time. We didn't get it. So we lost.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:53 pm

King Crimson wrote:I think we're all set up for 4-3-3, except for the '1' in the middle up front. Byfield isn't the all-round player that's needed. We've got full backs who look comfortable with providing width in attack, Jones and Gray and Nicholls could fill the two berths for attacking players who'll "cut in", and we could play Marshall, Taundry and Richards across the middle (and I'd take the touchlines in five yards each side to help them). But will Byfield or Nicholls (or Grigg) play the lone striker role effectively? Not convinced.
Have to say though that yesterday we were crying out for something different by half time. We didn't get it. So we lost.

I think yesterday showed exactly why we're better suited to 4-3-3 at this point in time.
The midfield two were completely overrun, and one of our strikers barely touched the ball in 90 minutes. That's why I'd do what you've just suggested and put that extra man in midfield. If we can sign that target man we're so clearly lacking, then we can adapt to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 depending on the situation.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:54 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Stu wrote:

I think we're all set up for 4-3-3, except for the '1' in the middle up front. Byfield isn't the all-round player that's needed. We've got full backs who look comfortable with providing width in attack, Jones and Gray and Nicholls could fill the two berths for attacking players who'll "cut in", and we could play Marshall, Taundry and Richards across the middle (and I'd take the touchlines in five yards each side to help them). But will Byfield or Nicholls (or Grigg) play the lone striker role effectively? Not convinced.

think the minimum width has to be 45 mt, dont think ours is 55mt as it stands

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:27 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
King Crimson wrote:I think we're all set up for 4-3-3, except for the '1' in the middle up front. Byfield isn't the all-round player that's needed. We've got full backs who look comfortable with providing width in attack, Jones and Gray and Nicholls could fill the two berths for attacking players who'll "cut in", and we could play Marshall, Taundry and Richards across the middle (and I'd take the touchlines in five yards each side to help them). But will Byfield or Nicholls (or Grigg) play the lone striker role effectively? Not convinced.

I think yesterday showed exactly why we're better suited to 4-3-3 at this point in time.
The midfield two were completely overrun, and one of our strikers barely touched the ball in 90 minutes. That's why I'd do what you've just suggested and put that extra man in midfield. If we can sign that target man we're so clearly lacking, then we can adapt to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 depending on the situation.

It's what I was saying last season, which is what worries me about Hutchings! Apart from anything else, Jones is wasted as an out and out winger. The 4 3 3, or 4 5 1, or even 4 2 3 1, or the hated Mersonesque 4 3 1 2 would all be better options with our personnel.

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Baz Savage signing next week

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:45 pm

thickkearns wrote:Baz Savage signing next week

We're doomed.

Scooby
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:50 pm

Bas Savage is god awful. He couldnt earn a contract with Stevenage, where he has been on trial.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:51 pm

thickkearns wrote:Baz Savage signing next week

I hope that's just a rumour :D

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:12 pm

1) He is free and currently un-attached.
2) He is a big fella to lead the line, which is what we all say we need.

Therefore, its probably got legs as a goer...

His goal-scoring record is 2nd to none, a whopping 22 league goals in 124+40 apps... cack man, he is a goal machine.

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics