Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Summer 2010 - official transfer rumours thread

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
derbysaddler
Site Addict

Re: Summer 2010 - official transfer rumours thread

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 am

More updates for our division;

Swindon have sold defender Greer to Brighton for 250k,
Peterborough have signed Aaron Davies from Forest and have also managed to secure George Boyd for another three years. The posh are putting together a pretty strong squad.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:40 pm

derbysaddler wrote:More updates for our division;

Peterborough have signed Aaron Davies from Forest and have also managed to secure George Boyd for another three years. The posh are putting together a pretty strong squad.

Posh are indeed, chucking the cash about again. Surpised no one in the Championship has signed Boyd actually.

Where the hell do Brighton get 250k to spend from? Even so i think Swindon have a good deal there.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:53 pm

latviancheese wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:More updates for our division;

Posh are indeed, chucking the cash about again. Surpised no one in the Championship has signed Boyd actually.

Where the hell do Brighton get 250k to spend from? Even so i think Swindon have a good deal there.

Not so sure about that mate Greer was there captain, 250k for there captain is a poor deal on Swindons half

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:07 pm

I don't know about that.. Swindon signed him for a free, he played 1 season and is 30 this year, I'd say £250k is a very tidy profit myself and who knows who they've got lined up on top of that...

jnb09
UTS Regular

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:15 pm

and for 250k you can get alot better

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:42 pm

moaning old git wins the award for first repetition of the annual 'cleaner' joke. it's been a long time coming this year!

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:55 pm

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:01 am

Good signing for Oldham - Just got Warren Feeney on a free.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:08 am

DanWalsallFC wrote:Good signing for Oldham - Just got Warren Feeney on a free.

Yep, I'd have liked to see him down the Bezla.

By this time last year we'd signed 4 (I think: Hughes, Parkin, Jones, O'Keefe), and we were starting from a stronger position in terms of numbers.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:14 am

Sheff Wed have just signed Morrison on a free.
I know he's not exactly flavour of the week with everyone, but I can see him tearing in to a few back fours in this league.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/8809902.stm

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:49 am

philthesaddler wrote:

By this time last year we'd signed 4 (I think: Hughes, Parkin, Jones, O'Keefe), and we were starting from a stronger position in terms of numbers.

And out of those 4 you named we kept hold of one. Whilst jumping in for these signing's i'd rather take a little time than rush in and get cack.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:55 am

Rich Evans wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

And out of those 4 you named we kept hold of one. Whilst jumping in for these signing's i'd rather take a little time than rush in and get cack.

But you miss you point, now matter how fast we'll rush in to signings, they'll always be cack.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:26 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Rich Evans wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

But you miss you point, now matter how fast we'll rush in to signings, they'll always be cack.

You miss the point. Cack compared to what? Man U - certainly, but last season they collectively added up to less cack than 14 other teams in this division. On the lowest gate. What do you want? Blood from a stone? The moon on a stick? We ain't got the money for anything better than - as you so charmingly call it - cack, or as I'd call it - reality. We get what we can afford. Full stop. End of. No amount of wishing will make it change.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:34 am

Exile wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Rich Evans wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

You miss the point. Cack compared to what? Man U - certainly, but last season they collectively added up to less cack than 14 other teams in this division. On the lowest gate. What do you want? Blood from a stone? The moon on a stick? We ain't got the money for anything better than - as you so charmingly call it - cack, or as I'd call it - reality. We get what we can afford. Full stop. End of. No amount of wishing will make it change.

I knew it all along. Exile is a closet Reality supporter.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:25 am

Exile in Zippy mode wrote:What do you want? Blood from a stone? The moon on a stick? We ain't got the money for anything better than - as you so charmingly call it - cack, or as I'd call it - reality. We get what we can afford. Full stop. End of. No amount of wishing will make it change.

:mrgreen:

desben1
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Rich Evans wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Yeah we only kept one, but we wanted to keep Hughes and o'keefe never even got a chance.

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:33 pm

o'keefe ran like a chicken

Zippy
Glitterati

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Exile wrote:You miss the point. Cack compared to what? Man U - certainly, but last season they collectively added up to less cack than 14 other teams in this division. On the lowest gate. What do you want? Blood from a stone? The moon on a stick? We ain't got the money for anything better than - as you so charmingly call it - cack, or as I'd call it - reality. We get what we can afford. Full stop. End of. No amount of wishing will make it change.

Well said Exy.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Rich Evans wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Exactly.
Ideally, you want as much of your squad in place as early as possible, but players play the numbers game too.
The World Cup has also meant that things have been slower this year than any other. Movement in the transfer market often works from the top down - i.e. the top clubs get rid of the odd player and this has a knock-on effect on the availability of other players lower down the leagues.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:16 am

Exile wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Rich Evans wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Cack compared to what? Cack full stop. Look at the dross we've had just in the last 2 years - players that for one reason or another haven't managed more than one season with us - if that doesn't qualify them under the term "cack" I dont know what does.

Chris Palmer
Sam Parking
Stephen Roberts
Josh OKeefe
Martin Brittain
Robin Shroot
Stefan Moore

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:58 am

You cant bring Moore into that, he only played a couple of games for us, you cant judge him on that. Also the same with O'Keefe, he didnt get his chance. When Roberts played he was a good player, he just has injury problems.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:08 am

matt-thesaddler wrote:You cant bring Moore into that, he only played a couple of games for us, you cant judge him on that. Also the same with O'Keefe, he didnt get his chance. When Roberts played he was a good player, he just has injury problems.

BUT we still sodding signed them! If they're injured or crap, why the hell sign them? It's all short-termism.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Summer 2010 - official transfer rumours thread

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:56 am

philthesaddler wrote:
BUT we still sodding signed them! If they're injured or crud, why the hell sign them? It's all short-termism.

Phil, most people on here don't even believe that there is such a word as short-termism, even though it's the best word to describe WFC. Along with the words cheap, and ambitionless

motty
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:50 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Cack compared to what? Cack full stop. Look at the dross we've had just in the last 2 years - players that for one reason or another haven't managed more than one season with us - if that doesn't qualify them under the term "cack" I dont know what does.

Chris Palmer
Sam Parking
Stephen Roberts
Josh OKeefe
Martin Brittain
Robin Shroot
Stefan Moore

Not that i know from experience,But i imagine its a lot harder to sign quality players as walsall manager,Without cash decent wages and a big name manager than it is on football manager phil.A certain element of gambling is involved.
Richards
Mcdonald
Jones
Deeney
Smtih
Westlake
Taundry
Gilmartin :x dare i say it, All players who have thrived or signed under hutchings,I see using quality local players who want it a lot, just as much as signing a player on a free or from another club.You really should just go and support another club if you think we will never sign a dud player on past experience and quality due to lack of recent form or being injury prone but the medical staff find nothing wrong with him.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:25 am

caught_u_red_handed wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Chris Palmer
Sam Parking
Stephen Roberts
Josh OKeefe
Martin Brittain
Robin Shroot
Stefan Moore

Not that i know from experience,But i imagine its a lot harder to sign quality players as walsall manager,Without cash decent wages and a big name manager than it is on football manager phil.A certain element of gambling is involved.
Richards
Mcdonald
Jones
Deeney
Smtih
Westlake
Taundry
Gilmartin :x dare i say it, All players who have thrived or signed under hutchings,I see using quality local players who want it a lot, just as much as signing a player on a free or from another club.You really should just go and support another club if you think we will never sign a dud player on past experience and quality due to lack of recent form or being injury prone but the medical staff find nothing wrong with him.

I'd also put Vincent in there, even though hes gone he still did well!

motty
UTS Legend

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:51 am

DanWalsallFC wrote:
caught_u_red_handed wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Chris Palmer
Sam Parking
Stephen Roberts
Josh OKeefe
Martin Brittain
Robin Shroot
Stefan Moore

Richards
Mcdonald
Jones
Deeney
Smtih
Westlake
Taundry

I'd also put Vincent in there, even though hes gone he still did well!

Good call!

coventriansaddler
Glitterati

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:04 pm

If he doesnt go to posh then maybe we should have a gander....

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 71,00.html

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:13 pm

coventriansaddler wrote:If he doesnt go to posh then maybe we should have a gander....

Posh are aboslutely gunna spank this league..

Jockey
UTS Legend

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:38 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
coventriansaddler wrote:If he doesnt go to posh then maybe we should have a gander....

I dont know. Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday are looking tasty too.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:39 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:

Peterborough, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday and Southampton now all have very solid squads assembled. I expect all of them to sitting in the top six.

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics