Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Summer 2010 - official transfer rumours thread

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
kaneo

Re: Summer 2010 - official transfer rumours thread

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:12 pm

He got released from Bolton, had a trial at Crewe who thought he wasn't any good so naturally he came to us :D

worzel999
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:33 pm

kaneo wrote:He got released from Bolton, had a trial at Crewe who thought he wasn't any good so naturally he came to us :D

He opted to leave Crewe's trial in preference to come to us.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 16,00.html

Anyway if he's good enough for Crewe, he must be better than Sansara!! :lol:

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:42 pm

Apparently Dario Gradi was really annoyed that he walked out on C***e to come to us. I like the bloke already :D . Sign him up.

jnb09
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:45 pm

lol

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:38 pm

Stu wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:What a wonderful strike force that would be - Parker, Hughes and McLeod :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have to say, I'd take those three over Byfield, Nicholls and Deeney... Hate them or not, I think any of those three could arguably strengthen our front line, McLeod is well worth a gamble after a lean couple of seasons, whilst Parker is that wily striker you hate against you but love when he plays for you.

Surprised you said that about McLeod Stu that's the same pedigree Sam Parkin came to us with .

Would take Parker your spot on with your comments on him

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:Apparently Dario Gradi was really annoyed that he walked out on C***e to come to us. I like the bloke already :D . Sign him up.

Cant blame him walking away from Dario ... he's a old queen !!!! lol

Reading Saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:21 pm

A little premature this one, but a friend of mine who has a very good connection with Derby County sent me a message earlier asking alot of questions about the quality of Will Grigg, I suspected he had recently met him and was wondering my opinion of the lad. I replied saying might be a potential to play with Deeney this season and have had no response so far --> i do wonder however if he is being lined up for a possible steal.......

or am I being cynical to jump to that conclusion...

What are people's thoughts on this? Am I jumping to conclusions?

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:56 am

Reading Saddler wrote:A little premature this one, but a friend of mine who has a very good connection with Derby County sent me a message earlier asking alot of questions about the quality of Will Grigg, I suspected he had recently met him and was wondering my opinion of the lad. I replied saying might be a potential to play with Deeney this season and have had no response so far --> i do wonder however if he is being lined up for a possible steal.......

Is your friend just the average fan or does he have links with people inside the club?
I'm sure he will attract interest soon though, even just getting these international call ups is sure to turn a few heads.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:45 am

DanWalsallFC wrote:
Reading Saddler wrote:A little premature this one, but a friend of mine who has a very good connection with Derby County sent me a message earlier asking alot of questions about the quality of Will Grigg, I suspected he had recently met him and was wondering my opinion of the lad. I replied saying might be a potential to play with Deeney this season and have had no response so far --> i do wonder however if he is being lined up for a possible steal.......

Is your friend just the average fan or does he have links with people inside the club?
I'm sure he will attract interest soon though, even just getting these international call ups is sure to turn a few heads.

Im convinced the lad has talent, you can just tell sometimes. I think it's a total shame we didnt see more of him last season, especially with how tired Byfield was getting at times.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Summer 2010 - official transfer rumours thread

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:50 am

philthesaddler wrote:Im convinced the lad has talent, you can just tell sometimes. I think it's a total shame we didnt see more of him last season, especially with how tired Byfield was getting at times.

I agree. His movement and touch suggest genuine potential.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:54 am

King Crimson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Im convinced the lad has talent, you can just tell sometimes. I think it's a total shame we didnt see more of him last season, especially with how tired Byfield was getting at times.

I agree. His movement and touch suggest genuine potential.

Exactly, but not only that, I think he's got the following:

Vision: We saw it against Wolves, he played a great slide rule pass through for Jones and cut the Wolves defence open
Strength and size: For a 19 year old, he's a big lad - look at our other 18/19 year olds like Geddes and Westlake, who still look like kids
Touch: When he gets the ball, he can hold it, and rarely wastes it.

If he doesnt get regularly on the pitch this season, I'll be pissed off, the lad is a good player.

Reading Saddler
UTS Regular

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:26 am

He was involved with the club last season - however I did take his question about Will Grigg and leap to the assumption he was trying to find out my opinion on him based on the knowledge Derby were interested, however since the conversation has continued it has become apparent that my said friend is infact just intrigued about the quality of said player for general football chit chat... He belives that Will Grigg has potential and might make his league one starlet for the future list this season (as he put it!!).

So I apologise, mind you it has started a decent debate on the ability of one of our young players and I suppose the best place to exclaim my ill fated fears would be in a transfer rumour room. So I'm not really THAT sorry.... :)

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:36 pm

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:43 pm

WFC_Jimmy wrote:http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_6274524,00.html

would have been a good signing imo

grrr i dont know to much about the player and its not the qaulity of the player im frustrated with its the general feel that burton somehow
have sometihng to offer players that shouldnt be playing league 2 football

do they have a sugar daddy ?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:26 am

I have to ask, but, after 405 posts this year, have any of us got any rumours right, or is the club keeping it's cards even closer to its chest than normal?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:37 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I have to ask, but, after 405 posts this year, have any of us got any rumours right, or is the club keeping it's cards even closer to its chest than normal?

We've only signed people this year who have been on trial at the club - Lancashire, Bevan, Marshall and Lescott all trained with the club first, so news of their presence leeked out quite subtly.

Scooby
UTS Regular

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:27 am

Just noticed Lee Carsley has signed for Coventry and he is in the squad to face us tomorrow!

McSaddler

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:49 am

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:50 am

Scooby wrote:Just noticed Lee Carsley has signed for Coventry and he is in the squad to face us tomorrow!

After a few shouts for this player I can already hear the groans. Just look at what you could have won

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:52 am

Christ I hope not, I thought they were royally skint anyway? I don't fancy selling a player to a club that may not be able to pay all of the installments

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:55 am

derbysaddler wrote:

Christ I hope not, I thought they were royally skint anyway? I don't fancy selling a player to a club that may not be able to pay all of the installments

Seen the comment on the bottom of that article about the clubs not being able to agree a fee for Deeney? That rings true because thats what happened in March/April, Jeff was holding out for £*post-moderated*k. (Horses Mouth)

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:45 am

Watford's version of Transfer Rumours? Give me strength. Even in newspaper language it's a non-story! "we understand", "still considering"....

yoda
Site Addict

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:34 pm

I work with a friend of Leicesters Ashley Chambers who today told me "Ashley seems to think hes going on loan to Walsall".

While he was serious about that, he continued to joke every club hes played for got relegated the seaosn he played for them (Leciester when they dropped from the Championship, loaned to Wycombe and Grimsby last season).

I was only really half listening as I dont talk to this guy much, but if anyones interested I can go and try and get the full story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Chambers

yoda
Site Addict

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Also worth noting that when I expressed suprise at signing a striker when thats the last thing we need, I was told he can be used as a winger/WF.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:12 pm

yoda wrote:I work with a friend of Leicesters Ashley Chambers who today told me "Ashley seems to think hes going on loan to Walsall".

While he was serious about that, he continued to joke every club hes played for got relegated the seaosn he played for them (Leciester when they dropped from the Championship, loaned to Wycombe and Grimsby last season).

I was only really half listening as I dont talk to this guy much, but if anyones interested I can go and try and get the full story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Chambers

Possibly as a short term replacement for Deeney if the new topic on here is anything to go by? That 1 more player is to go..

nitrousoxide

Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:55 pm

Football rumours is quoting darius vassell will sign next week for us, as he wants back into the midlands and he's a close mate to darren. Possible replacement for player X?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Vassell :lol: :lol: love it

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:26 pm

Another Football-Rumours...

Walsall:

(Along with those who have already signed)

Jamie Cureton
Carl Baker (From Coventry on loan)

Reasonable sources; don't be surprised to see Walsall manager Chris Hutchings deploy a 4–4–2 next season, with strikers Deeney and Cureton leading the line, supported by wingers Julian Gray and Alex Nicholls.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Troy Deeney is set to join Swindon Town once they return from their Austria tour.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
League one Walsall will shock English football next week when they unviel Darius Vassell as their latest summer signing. Vassell is a close personel friend of Saddlers Darren Byfield and wants to move back to the Midlands after a spell in Turkey.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:02 pm

Vassell has just come back from a spell in Turkey, do people not understand what they pay their overseas players? He earns more than Jeff Bonser

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Theres a new feature on FR, a believable and unbelievable button. 10 believed that rumour, 27 didnt :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics