Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Poll: global warming

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...

Climate Change:

Poll ended at Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:33 am

It's real, it's man-made and we've got to do something NOW (think of the children!)
23%
It's real, it's natural, why change a thing?
57%
Who cares - we're all gonna die!
10%
Stafflers
10%

Total votes : 30
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Poll: global warming

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:48 pm

PJD wrote:It is hard for the layman to sort the wood from the trees (ho hum!) and there are masses of sweeping generalisations, inaccuracies and exaggerations on both sides of the debate, not to mention plenty of venom and bile.

For example -
preacher_man wrote:PS. Why are climate deniers also the ones who also refuse to make any personal sacrifice? Why do they only agree on policy that would directly affect themselves? And why are climate deniers big experts on climate change, but nothing else?

What's that all about? Read the link I posted above - 1,200 limos and 140 private planes in Copenhagen this week. Seems like the climate deniers (as you put it) aren't the only ones refusing to make any personal sacrifice.

The truth is the AGW lobby believe there can be no other explanation for the current warming trend than man made CO2 emissions and the skeptical lobby believe that there can be another explanation (whatever it may be). How can this be proven one way or the other?

Man made CO2 emissions can never be cut to zero. What if we cut emissions in half and the planet still warms? "We need to cut further"? What if we don't cut emissions and the planet cools "It's just a temporary blip caused by something else"? (Eg 1945 -1970)

The debate, like the debate on the Iraq war, is too entrenched on either side to be able to make any headway. One thing is for sure, the climate has and will always change, often with catastrophic effects.

In the meantime, while caviar and champagne is being quaffed in Copenhagen, 2.5 million people die of malaria each year, 3 million die from AIDS, I've heard it estimated that nearly 9 million die from malnutrition.

Limos and planes - Most of these cars will be armour-plated, others hired out by firms in Copenhagen - don't see the issue at all. Planes - alternatives? Presidential yacht perhaps? Or a scheduled airline? Security issues abound. Again, not an issue if you accept that the elected representatives need some kind of personal transport to get around (security, convenience etc).

As to the statement that both sides are entrenched - possibly, in the same way the some people believed in a flat earth and were equally entrenched, but now we know better.

How much evidence needs to be collected before the weight of probability swings it for certain individuals is up to them really. Not that I wish to cast aspertions on the scientific background or awareness of particular UTS members, but on this very thread we have some kind of argument that seems to conclude that the ice-caps are not reducing at all but remaining reasonably constant. They have then used total ice area as the data set for this conclusion. I mean, really!

I guess it's possible in almost every scientific analysis to come up with confounding data if you look hard enough, but it didn't take a Masters degree in Environmental assessment (Newcastle 1997) for me to accept that it's the weight of mutually supporting evidence that really swings it. There is simply so much.

Needless to say certain die-hards will dredge up the data they have found on a suspicious website (probably indirectly funded by the 'Oil is great' foundation) that points to the fact that in Nowheresville, USA, the temperature has dropped by 0.7 degrees over the last 20 years, thus blowing a gaping hole in the entire warming hypothesis. Better not mention that continental weather systems can result in extremes of hot and cold, or that modelling predicts localised changes in both directions.

Still, I really don't need to convince anyone as I'm pretty close to the conclusion that's being discussed in Copenhagen, being verified by multiple agencies in numerous countries and the one that is being confirmed by current weather and temperature changes. You'll still be baling out the flood waters in 30 years, no matter how convincing your current arguments (not that they are).

Good luck!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:56 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Still, I really don't need to convince anyone as I'm pretty close to the conclusion that's being discussed in Copenhagen, being verified by multiple agencies in numerous countries and the one that is being confirmed by current weather and temperature changes. You'll still be baling out the flood waters in 30 years, no matter how convincing your current arguments (not that they are).

Good luck!

I seem to remember you being equally as hysterical about Swine Flu earlier in the year.

Ooh look! BBC in "It's not as bad as we said it was going to be" shocker!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8406723.stm

BSE, MMR, Bird Flu, Swine Flu......

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:10 am

PJD wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Still, I really don't need to convince anyone as I'm pretty close to the conclusion that's being discussed in Copenhagen, being verified by multiple agencies in numerous countries and the one that is being confirmed by current weather and temperature changes. You'll still be baling out the flood waters in 30 years, no matter how convincing your current arguments (not that they are).

Good luck!

I seem to remember you being equally as hysterical about Swine Flu earlier in the year.

Nonsense. The use and meaning of the word 'potential' seems to have been completely lost on you.

Less than a century ago, flu was responsible for 10s of millions of deaths worldwide, but at no time have I ever said 'swine flu' would result in anything like that, only that it was in the realm of possibility that it might. Clear enough?

I have never commented on BSE, MMR, SARS, Bird Flu etc.

Anyway a valiant attempt to desperately try and expand the debate and try and involve other confounding variables into the scientific FACT that the earth is warming. And apart from the fact that you think world leaders should either walk to major conferences or use other carbon neutral modes of transport (windsurf perhaps?) there doesn't seem much distance between us.

aaaae
Site Addict

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:25 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
PJD wrote:

Good luck!

Nonsense. The use and meaning of the word 'potential' seems to have been completely lost on you.

Less than a century ago, flu was responsible for 10s of millions of deaths worldwide, but at no time have I ever said 'swine flu' would result in anything like that, only that it was in the realm of possibility that it might. Clear enough?

Anyway a valiant attempt to desperately try and expand the debate and try and involve other confounding variables into the scientific FACT that the earth is warming. And apart from the fact that you think world leaders should either walk to major conferences or use other carbon neutral modes of transport (windsurf perhaps?) there doesn't seem much distance between us.

I think that before anyone preaches they should at least have the decency to show a bit of suffering...you know earn the right.

Perhaps they should go on hunger strike in Copenhagen, like Gandhi or spend a few days in the wilderness battling the devil a la Jesus. It would certainly make things more interesting.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 am

PJD wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
PJD wrote:

Good luck!

I think that before anyone preaches they should at least have the decency to show a bit of suffering...you know earn the right.

Perhaps they should go on hunger strike in Copenhagen, like Gandhi or spend a few days in the wilderness battling the devil a la Jesus. It would certainly make things more interesting.

:lol:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:26 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how many people are STILL prepared to continue to deny the fact that human beings are contributing significantly to the Global warming of the planet.

What is wrong with these people? The ice caps are melting, the permafrost is beginning to thaw in North America and Siberia and 11 of the last 14 years in Britain have been the hottest 'on record' [i.e. 1659]. The global rise in temperature of 0.7C since around 1900 is unprecedented. Never has the Earth's average temperature risen so quickly in such a short period of time under 'natural' conditions.

And if the facts are'nt clear enough, let's have a look at some of the people lining up to deny it's happening: Christopher Moncton, Vaclav Klaus, Michael Crichton and Nick Griffin just to start with. What a bunch :roll: .
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:43 pm

BathSaddler wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how many people are STILL prepared to continue to deny the fact that human beings are contributing significantly to the Global warming of the planet.

What is wrong with these people? The ice caps are melting, the permafrost is beginning to thaw in North America and Siberia and 11 of the last 14 years in Britain have been the hottest 'on record' [i.e. 1659]. The global rise in temperature of 0.7C since around 1800 is unprecedented. Never has the Earth's average temperature risen so quickly in such a short period of time under 'natural' conditions.

And if the facts are'nt clear enough, let's have a look at some of the people lining up to deny it's happening: Christopher Moncton, Vaclav Klaus, Michael Crichton and Nick Griffin just to start with. What a bunch :roll: .

Yes... but there are also many respected scientist that think the same. I will now roll my eyes at you for believing the opposite :roll: :wink:

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:05 pm

Three very irritating things about the 'global warming debate'

1. Why does the side that supports the theory about man made global warming insist calling those that have another view 'in denial'

2. The Earth has existed for the majority of us for 4,540,000,000 years, [God botherers and other supernatural believers about 10,000 years] we have records for the past say 150 years and a few scribble notes that cover the previous 200. If anyone can turn up a few more, say about a million or possibly even a couple of thousand then perhaps we might have a slightly more accurate view of what's going on with the climate.

3. If the earth is warming, how come it gets cold at night and my heating bill is always going up?

ps Saigon hasn't got a CLUE, his area of expertise stops at the finger post at Pelsall*

*Good local knowledge for someone who has no connection with Walsall.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:00 pm

[quote="Cully"]Three very irritating things about the 'global warming debate'

1. Why does the side that supports the theory about man made global warming insist calling those that have another view 'in denial'

Locally they are called stayaways :)

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:55 am

Try this experiment at home.
Get a large tumbler of water with ice cubes in, and mark the level of the water. After the ice cubes have melted, has the level of the water risen?

sj
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:23 am

The rich natons think they will be able to live with effects of global warming so they aint bothered about the poor nations. Capital accumulation has no place for sympathy, growth and profit are all that matters.

Sorry but it's all talk and lobbying by the rich nations, come the end of the day they will go for growth. The political and economic system needs to change or we are all doomed :mrgreen:

aaaae
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:41 am

BathSaddler wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how many people are STILL prepared to continue to deny the fact that human beings are contributing significantly to the Global warming of the planet.

What is wrong with these people? The ice caps are melting, the permafrost is beginning to thaw in North America and Siberia and 11 of the last 14 years in Britain have been the hottest 'on record' [i.e. 1659]. The global rise in temperature of 0.7C since around 1800 is unprecedented. Never has the Earth's average temperature risen so quickly in such a short period of time under 'natural' conditions.

Bath - I am open to be convinced, I am not a climate expert, just a layman. The major issue for me is that the AGW argument is littered with as many untruths and innacuracies as the anti AGW argument.

For example -

BathSaddler wrote:Never has the Earth's average temperature risen so quickly in such a short period of time under 'natural' conditions.

That is just not true. The Earth has, in the past, warmed and cooled much much faster than the current warming trend. You don't need to look very far to see that much of what is pumped out in the media is hysterical nonsense and it really undermines the impact of what they are saying.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:28 am

I wouldn't worry too much Bath. If people either can't be bothered to research, or too ignorant to accept the irrefutable truth that the earth is warming, don't expect them to make the logical jump to realising that human activity is the primary cause.

Only PJD has approached the issue with an open mind and accepts the fact that the earth is warming.

What else have we got here:

Someone who thinks the whole thing is a giant scam to squeeze more money from the general public. A kind of global conspiracy that has been collectively thought up by the Chinese, Americans, Europe, the third world (with the notable exception of oil rich Saudi Arabia :lol: ). That's nearly 200 countries that can't agree on anything without meetings, meetings about meetings, talks about talks and decades of careful negotiation to reach even the most basic of agreements. These countries have somehow miraculously got together and dreamt up this plan? Remarkable!

Someone who finds the whole thing 'irritating' and washes his hands of even the most basic intellectual curosity, presumeably because it takes a little bit of effort. For example, most estimates for the earth age are about 6000 years, not 10,000, according to religious nutters. Oh and by the way, ice cores do give us an extended window into the make-up of the atmosphere of the past - up to 740,000 years. But don't let scientific evidence get in the way of monumental moronic ignorance!

Next we have someone who fails to comprehend that Antarctica and other continents are made up of 'land'. Is he one of your scientists Whitti? :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:58 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much Bath. If people either can't be bothered to research, or too ignorant to accept the irrefutable truth that the earth is warming, don't expect them to make the logical jump to realising that human activity is the primary cause.

Only PJD has approached the issue with an open mind and accepts the fact that the earth is warming.

Someone who thinks the whole thing is a giant scam to squeeze more money from the general public. A kind of global conspiracy that has been collectively thought up by the Chinese, Americans, Europe, the third world (with the notable exception of oil rich Saudi Arabia :lol: ). That's nearly 200 countries that can't agree on anything without meetings, meetings about meetings, talks about talks and decades of careful negotiation to reach even the most basic of agreements. These countries have somehow miraculously got together and dreamt up this plan? Remarkable!

Someone who finds the whole thing 'irritating' and washes his hands of even the most basic intellectual curosity, presumeably because it takes a little bit of effort. For example, most estimates for the earth age are about 6000 years, not 10,000, according to religious nutters. Oh and by the way, ice cores do give us an extended window into the make-up of the atmosphere of the past - up to 740,000 years. But don't let scientific evidence get in the way of monumental moronic ignorance!

Next we have someone who fails to comprehend that Antarctica and other continents are made up of 'land'. Is he one of your scientists Whitti? :lol:

Thanks Mr Expert. I bow to your superior knowledge. You are undoubtedly correct in everything you say. Like PJD... all I am saying is that I am yet to be convinced of the reasons for the changes. Also, you and your fave scare mongerers dont do yourselves any favours by exagerating what has and is happening. I am still open minded - but agree that all the discussion and changes being made to our lives to help the planet can only be a good thing. I suppose you have joined Sir Paul in his Meat Free Monday campaign. Also... have you made any changes to try to help save us all?

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:03 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Thanks Mr Expert. I bow to your superior knowledge. You are undoubtedly correct in everything you say. Like PJD... all I am saying is that I am yet to be convinced of the reasons for the changes. Also, you and your fave scare mongerers dont do yourselves any favours by exagerating what has and is happening. I am still open minded - but agree that all the discussion and changes being made to our lives to help the planet can only be a good thing. I suppose you have joined Sir Paul in his Meat Free Monday campaign. Also... have you made any changes to try to help save us all?

Of course he's made changes !!!! He always walks on his many trips to the Orient etc these days, you'd never catch Matt taking 1 of those nasty Co2 emmiting planes :lol: :lol: :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:23 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Thanks Mr Expert. I bow to your superior knowledge. You are undoubtedly correct in everything you say. Like PJD... all I am saying is that I am yet to be convinced of the reasons for the changes. Also, you and your fave scare mongerers dont do yourselves any favours by exagerating what has and is happening. I am still open minded - but agree that all the discussion and changes being made to our lives to help the planet can only be a good thing. I suppose you have joined Sir Paul in his Meat Free Monday campaign. Also... have you made any changes to try to help save us all?

I'm sure Cully will be pleased, as he has been craving recognition of his intellectual superiority for some time now.

If only my Masters in Environmental Resource Assessment gained me as much recognition, but I suppose all that research into desertification, processes of glaciation and statistical analysis of environmental data pales into insignificance when placed against choice factoids in the Daily Express, or whatever rag Cully purports to read with such endeavour.

As for exaggeration - of what? The earth is warming, ice-caps are melting, sea levels are rising. It's not exaggeration to claim that some cities and islands will drown, weather patterns become distorted and climate change result in land use modifications.

I do happen to think less meat production is a good idea, if only because the land can be used more effectively. However, I've never said that I would do anything to help the environment and I don't expect others to. I don't care if everyone uses a personal jet to deliver fine New Zealand lamb straight to the doorstep - entirely up to you.

My interest lies in delivering the conclusions that the weight of evidence demands, and I have an interest in countering suppositions that are inherently wrong, for my own personal amusement. :wink:

sj
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Saigon------ In the main I think you are right in what you say. But your position is taken to the extreme by some of the "Dark Green" lobby. To a degree they are Neo- Malthusian in arguing that "man" is the problem ergo we need to reduce the world's population, James Lovelock and Co.

For me "man" is the answer, we are an inventive lot and if we can keep the politicians and thier rich master out of it, we would be able to sort it. But we cann't so in a few years the seas will rise and the poor will sink. Simple.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:43 pm

sj wrote:Saigon------ In the main I think you are right in what you say. But your position is taken to the extreme by some of the "Dark Green" lobby. To a degree they are Neo- Malthusian in arguing that "man" is the problem ergo we need to reduce the world's population, James Lovelock and Co.

For me "man" is the answer, we are an inventive lot and if we can keep the politicians and thier rich master out of it, we would be able to sort it. But we cann't so in a few years the seas will rise and the poor will sink. Simple.

I have no time for the hand wringing environmental purists either sj. My interest lies only with the science and understanding the processes at work.

As for the world population issue - I think it would be better for us to reduce it, if only because the ultra religious in-bred nutters will out produce the rational and sentient beings.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:43 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:

Yes... but there are also many respected scientist that think the same. I will now roll my eyes at you for believing the opposite :roll: :wink:

There are in fact very few "respected scientists" who do not agree with the overwhelming concensus of the effects of climate change.The UN body set up to look at this, the IPCC, has agreed that there is a 90% probability that the 6 billion of us are contributing significantly to the warming of the planet. In scientific terms, that is as unanimous as it gets - 4,000 of the world's scientists agreeing with that proposition. That's what is different from previous 'natural' global warming that has occured over millions of years - in those periods there were not billions of people to contribute to it. That is the fundamental difference, and that is what makes the reistance to it so puzzling.

The main question of global warming and who is largely responsible has been answered IMO. The degree to which it will impact on the Earth is still up for debate, and will largely depend on what we as a human race do or do not do [in Copenhagen and beyond] over the next vital few years.

I'll resist the temptation to roll my eyes once more :wink: .

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Where is bernie when you need him

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:08 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:

There are in fact very few "respected scientists" who do not agree with the overwhelming concensus of the effects of climate change.The UN body set up to look at this, the IPCC, has agreed that there is a 90% probability that the 6 billion of us are contributing significantly to the warming of the planet. In scientific terms, that is as unanimous as it gets - 4,000 of the world's scientists agreeing with that proposition. That's what is different from previous 'natural' global warming that has occured over millions of years - in those periods there were not billions of people to contribute to it. That is the fundamental difference, and that is what makes the reistance to it so puzzling.

The main question of global warming and who is largely responsible has been answered IMO. The degree to which it will impact on the Earth is still up for debate, and will largely depend on what we as a human race do or do not do [in Copenhagen and beyond] over the next vital few years.

I'll resist the temptation to roll my eyes once more :wink: .

The evidence, when looked at objectively, points in only one direction. These 4000 scientists are not studying DNA or black holes, these are the scientists who have been and are involved in this specific area. I'm sure Shell and/or the Saudis can wheel out professor XYZ who can point to some local anomaly in a data set, but the vast majority are in unison.

I think the resistance has quite naturally come from people in the green brigade telling people that they have to do this and that. No-one's going to stop me from eating meat or travelling to foreign countries to save some nameless Polynesian island. The facts and what to do with the facts are two completely different issues.

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:47 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:The evidence, when looked at objectively, points in only one direction. These 4000 scientists are not studying DNA or black holes, these are the scientists who have been and are involved in this specific area. I'm sure Shell and/or the Saudis can wheel out professor XYZ who can point to some local anomaly in a data set, but the vast majority are in unison.

I think the resistance has quite naturally come from people in the green brigade telling people that they have to do this and that. No-one's going to stop me from eating meat or travelling to foreign countries to save some nameless Polynesian island. The facts and what to do with the facts are two completely different issues.

Have a quick butchers down this list Saigon. These are "scientists who have been and are involved in this specific area", I would guess. I don't know them from Adam, but it suggests to me as a layman that there is some (perhaps small) doubt in the scientific community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:21 pm

There are those who still don't believe in evolution as well - doesn't mean there right.

sj
Site Addict

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:53 pm

You will never get real change until you get rid of a system that always drives for the maximum return on it money because that necessitates short-term thinking. Look the big nations want a good return on their capital, they aint serious about this stuff.

Markets and competition will be the ruin of us, they must go. Global Capitalism is the problem ergo the Green movement must be anti-capital.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:00 pm

:lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:22 pm

sj wrote:Global Capitalism is the problem ergo the Green movement must be anti-capital.

That's why members of the green movement are called watermelons - green on the surface, but red inside. it has rather been subverted by the commies.

Any true solution to 'global warming', anthropogenic or otherwise, would include population control, which rather cuts back the ever-expanding market concept of capitalism and would offend Joe Pope and his rabid hordes. Ergo, there's no solution, and maybe the human race has done it's dash. Best organise yourselves into self-sufficient armed tribes and bunker down for the extinction event.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:33 pm

Exile wrote:
sj wrote:Global Capitalism is the problem ergo the Green movement must be anti-capital.

That's why members of the green movement are called watermelons - green on the surface, but red inside. it has rather been subverted by the commies.

Any true solution to 'global warming', anthropogenic or otherwise, would include population control, which rather cuts back the ever-expanding market concept of capitalism and would offend Joe Pope and his rabid hordes. Ergo, there's no solution, and maybe the human race has done it's dash. Best organise yourselves into self-sufficient armed tribes and bunker down for the extinction event.

The Chinese can't fight - they can be cruel and vindictive, but they are not wired up to be cynical killers, more eaters and breeders. Plus they are surrounded by enemies.

That leaves the Caucasian blocks of US, Europe and Russia to fight out terminal world domination.

Russia definately has the ruthlessness but lacks technology. Europe is all at sea and would take 10 years to do anything, so my money is on the Yanks to waste everyone and slowly bleed to death as the seas and oceans die and they run out of uncontaminated land.

sj
Site Addict

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Exile, Saigon--------- you forgot the revolution.

sj
Site Addict

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Now is the time to read Das Capital vol. 1,2 and 3. Marx wrote them to combate the argument Of Adam Smith, (Ricardo and Bentham) in the 18 60s who said at the time that we sould let the " invisible hand of the market rule" de-regulation and the like.

This is the argument we have had for the last 30 years. So now is the time to read Marx.

I'm reading Capital again and loving it. If you really want to understand it ,listen to the lectures by David Harvey the Marxist geographer. Marx's argument and method is indeed wonderful stuff. The best read I have ever had.

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Interesting article on climategate for your perusal -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/30/crugate_analysis/

and here

http://www.devilskitchen.me.uk/2009/11/data-horribilis-harryreadmetxt-file.html

Seems like the data CRU (and IPCC) have been using, is a complete basket case..........

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics