Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Your Answers

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Your Answers

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:03 am

Glanford park is, and always has been owned by Scunthorpe United. The sale of the Old Show Ground not only provided them with the funds to build the new ground, but also cleared all the club's debts. What a novel idea :idea:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:27 am

Big Daddy P wrote:
PJD wrote:
Big Daddy P wrote:I also note that at the time (Not sure about now) Glanford Park was paid for by the council and I assume the club paid (pays) rent, though that might be awkward as the council that did that no longer exists due to border changes! Can anyone shed any light on this?

The cost to build Glandford Park - £2.5m - included the land which Scunthorpe still own.

So we paid twice as much for the stadium and then we've paid as much again in rent. That leaves Scunthorpe with what? Net 5m more to spend on players than us over the last 20 years?

Not sure whos question you answered, but it wasnt mine, try reading the question again please.

Your question was based on the false assumption that the council paid for Glandford Park and that Scunthorpe pay them rent.
I was pointing out your mistake and wondering if the fact that it cost only a fraction of the amount Bescot cost and that they haven't had to pay rent in the intervening years might explain why they are looking forward to home games against Sheffield United and Newcastle as we look forward to games against Exeter and Stockport.

Big Daddy P
UTS Regular

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:57 am

PJD wrote:
Big Daddy P wrote:
PJD wrote:
Big Daddy P wrote:I also note that at the time (Not sure about now) Glanford Park was paid for by the council and I assume the club paid (pays) rent, though that might be awkward as the council that did that no longer exists due to border changes! Can anyone shed any light on this?

The cost to build Glandford Park - £2.5m - included the land which Scunthorpe still own.

So we paid twice as much for the stadium and then we've paid as much again in rent. That leaves Scunthorpe with what? Net 5m more to spend on players than us over the last 20 years?

Not sure whos question you answered, but it wasnt mine, try reading the question again please.

Your question was based on the false assumption that the council paid for Glandford Park and that Scunthorpe pay them rent.
I was pointing out your mistake and wondering if the fact that it cost only a fraction of the amount Bescot cost and that they haven't had to pay rent in the intervening years might explain why they are looking forward to home games against Sheffield United and Newcastle as we look forward to games against Exeter and Stockport.

It wasnt an assumption, I read it on Wikipedia........

Scunthorpe originally played at the Old Showground, which was located towards the centre of the town on the Doncaster Road. After the club relocated, the Old Showground was demolished and replaced by a Safeway supermarket, which was subsequently sold to Sainsbury's in 2004.[2].

Glanford Park is located on the outskirts of Scunthorpe, close to the start of the M181 motorway. The name Glanford Park was derived from its funding by the then Glanford Borough Council, before North Lincolnshire became a unitary authority.

Have I misunderstood here, If I have then I apologise.

Nortoncanesred
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:58 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
leics_saddler wrote: I do wonder what a comparable competent contractor would have carried out the build cost for. :?

Well of course Birse somehow managed to build Glanford Park some 12 months earlier for £2.5m, Miller Construction built McDiarmid Park (1989) to a much higher specification than Bescot for roughly the same amount.

We went with "Denglen" or in other words GMI Construction, who have over the years built up a history of construction on sites belonging to Severn Trent Property who's mandate it was at the time to dispose of brownfield sites. Peter Gilman, founder of GMI is now a director of Walsall FC.

According to Jeff Bonser - see quote here...http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/09/0 ... all-board/

...Gilman is also a ...."long-standing friend of mine".....

Don't you just love dot to dot puzzles?

Quite how the "negotiated tender" process panned out I really can't help, because I havn't got the faintest idea.

Roy Whalley wrote:you have failed to take into account a number of other factors such as would the freehold have been available to the club?

This is the easiest dot to dot puzzle of all time, it's done for you :lol:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02 am

Big Daddy P wrote:It wasnt an assumption, I read it on Wikipedia........

Scunthorpe originally played at the Old Showground, which was located towards the centre of the town on the Doncaster Road. After the club relocated, the Old Showground was demolished and replaced by a Safeway supermarket, which was subsequently sold to Sainsbury's in 2004.[2].

Glanford Park is located on the outskirts of Scunthorpe, close to the start of the M181 motorway. The name Glanford Park was derived from its funding by the then Glanford Borough Council, before North Lincolnshire became a unitary authority.

I believe the council sponsored the ground in a similar way to Banks's sponsoring Bescot (but I may be wrong)

Big Daddy P
UTS Regular

Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:25 am

PJD wrote:

I believe the council sponsored the ground in a similar way to Banks's sponsoring Bescot (but I may be wrong)

The word they use is funding which I take not to mean sponser, but also accept I may be wrong too, maybe Geordie can throw some light on this?

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Big Daddy P wrote:
PJD wrote:

The word they use is funding which I take not to mean sponser, but also accept I may be wrong too, maybe Geordie can throw some light on this?

If he can't throw light he can certainly throw something............................. :lol:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:13 pm

The ground was called Glanford Park because it was sponsored by Glanford Council. The money used to secure the site and build the ground came from Scunthorpe United.

Big Daddy P
UTS Regular

Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:37 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:The ground was called Glanford Park because it was sponsored by Glanford Council. The money used to secure the site and build the ground came from Scunthorpe United.

This further information from Wikipedia....
At this time there were no grants available and the development had to funded with the cash from the sale of the Old Showground, sponsorship, directors' loans and bank loans. This lack of outsider cash means that Glanford Park was built in a rather simplistic, box-like style, with a significantly smaller capacity than the Old Showground.

So not exactly the profit of a clever sale leaving spare money for buying players mentioned in another of your posts on this thread, in fact money must have been paid back to banks and directors.

Its also worthy of note that whilst Scunthorpe do have a better looking fixture list than us at the moment, that since both clubs had new stadiums our success on the field has been better than Scunny's, we have spent more years in the championship than they have.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Two things.

1) I never mentioned anything about funds for buying players.
2) I answered your question about ownership, and how the "funding" from the council leading to the name of the stadium arose.

You seem intent on quoting Wikipedia, which is unreliable.

I prefer Scunthorpe's independent website which contains the quote..The sale of the Showground left United with a brand new state of the art stadium just a mile down the road and all of the club's debts cleared

I assume they know what they are talking about when it comes to the history of their own club :wink:

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:52 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Two things.

2) I answered your question about ownership, and how the "funding" from the council leading to the name of the stadium arose.

I prefer Scunthorpe's independent website which contains the quote..The sale of the Showground left United with a brand new state of the art stadium just a mile down the road and all of the club's debts cleared

I assume they know what they are talking about when it comes to the history of their own club :wink:

Can i just add to that little gem.
The sale of the fellows park ground left walsall with a brand new state of the art stadium less than a mile down the road and all of the clubs debt cleared. Is that what happened at the time?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:03 pm

stonesaddler wrote:

The sale of the fellows park ground left walsall with a brand new state of the art stadium less than a mile down the road and all of the clubs debt cleared. Is that what happened at the time?

You mean:

The sale of the Fellows Park ground left Walsall as tenants of a brand new state of the art stadium less then a mile down the road and all of the club's assets cleared. That's what happened at the time. :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:33 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:I assume they know what they are talking about when it comes to the history of their own club :wink:

Why? Ours don't :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:54 pm

leics_saddler wrote:They've tried to be open and look a bit silly. But the most disheartening thing is the tone of Roy's letter.

Yep sounds like he's gettin peed off because hes getting found out, and they know they can keep it up any longer. He may claim Bonser saved teh club, but he and his cronies are now destroying it.

Big Daddy P
UTS Regular

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:25 am

Exile wrote:
stonesaddler wrote:

Not sure why you think Wikipedia is more relaiable than an independant club site, even you must have to admit this site carries a lot of spin and untruths to influence the masses. I am not saying nothing is true, just some things are worded cleverley and managed to deceive, which in turn suits the cause of the Anti Bonser posters.

You mean:

The sale of the Fellows Park ground left Walsall as tenants of a brand new state of the art stadium less then a mile down the road and all of the club's assets cleared. That's what happened at the time. :wink:

Big Daddy P
UTS Regular

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:29 am

Exile wrote:
stonesaddler wrote:

You mean:

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:11 pm

This site has 2,500 visitors a day - according to the home page.
What would it cost each to raise enough to buy this club to end peoples torment? (or maybe start some new torment depending on who gets to run it)
Maybe 2,000 pounds?
How many years seasons tickets does that represent?
Maybe donators could be given a 10 years season ticket.
My bank account can be used to hold the money if required.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Whitters wrote:This site has 2,500 visitors a day - according to the home page.
What would it cost each to raise enough to buy this club to end peoples torment? (or maybe start some new torment depending on who gets to run it)
Maybe 2,000 pounds?

I didn't know you were Nigerian. :D

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:57 pm

Getting back to the letter, could Wallet ever do more anything to illustrate his (and by definition the clubs) own incompetence and contempt for the fans. Contempt breeds contempt and that is the main reason the relationship between club and supporters is as bad as it is. It is way beyond repair and will never change now until there is a change in regime. It would be brilliant if there was a day on the horizon when we could see a change of direction and a new start. Unfortunately the damage has already been done and unless our "number 1 supporter" decides to actually do something in the best interests of the club and not the pension fund then the situation is unlikely to change even if we get rid of this stale and pathetic regime :(

mel58
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:53 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Getting back to the letter, could Wallet ever do more anything to illustrate his (and by definition the clubs) own incompetence and contempt for the fans. Contempt breeds contempt and that is the main reason the relationship between club and supporters is as bad as it is. It is way beyond repair and will never change now until there is a change in regime. It would be brilliant if there was a day on the horizon when we could see a change of direction and a new start. Unfortunately the damage has already been done and unless our "number 1 supporter" decides to actually do something in the best interests of the club and not the pension fund then the situation is unlikely to change even if we get rid of this stale and pathetic regime :(

I agree totally

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:07 pm

Exile said "I didn't know you were Nigerian"

The best idea yet for securing the future of our beloved club and exile destroys it with a one-liner.
You get what you deserve....

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Serious point Whiterrer.

Nobody knows what the "for sale" value of the club is, or what it includes.

If you want to be "positive" and head up the brave new world, why don't you write to Jeff Bonser and ask him? Put your oh so cool idea down on paper with some projected figures etc, and let's get it on and we'll all be right behind you.

This is after all the same Jeffrey dubbl - y Bonser that has oft dreampt of having Bescot publically owned (as per Excrete and Stir 2008), So I can guarentee that you will be pricking an already rich vein of thoughtful intent.

Surely you can't lose with your positive and proactive bent?

Go for it, and let us know how you get on, you've come up with a great idea - now let's see you deliver it to the coridoors of power of Walsall FC like some of us have done in the past.

Or are you just a UTS keyboard whinger with no "real world" impact or outlet ?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:01 am

Whitters wrote:Exile said "I didn't know you were Nigerian"

The best idea yet for securing the future of our beloved club and exile destroys it with a one-liner.
You get what you deserve....

It's not an idea, it's a dream.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Whitters wrote:This site has 2,500 visitors a day - according to the home page.
Maybe 2,000 pounds?

I expect to be shot down in flames but i see one major flaw in this. You say the donor's could recieve maybe a 10 year ticket. If 2500 took up the offer then are you not giving away 10 years income to the club away. Yes, you've brought the club but it definatly would not survive with the reduced income.

Previous
Return to UTS Classics