Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Your Answers

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Your Answers

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Jorge14 wrote:And so the world keeps turning...

And so Jeff Bonser keeps earning...

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:05 pm

tinned wrote:

and the fans keep yearning...

Harlequin

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:10 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

and Phil keeps churning....

:)

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Harlequin wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

and MMF's ass keeps ...

Big Daddy P
UTS Regular

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Well done Darren, at least you had the balls to put your name to something and send it to the club!
Well done Roy, you found the time to reply to what still remains a largely speculative, opined set of questions.
Good work chaps!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Big Daddy P wrote:Well done Darren, at least you had the balls to put your name to something and send it to the club!
Well done Roy, you found the time to reply to what still remains a largely speculative, opined set of questions.
Good work chaps!

Thank you Grand Master P! I think it still leaves more questions than answers personally but oh well!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:39 pm

leics_saddler wrote: I do wonder what a comparable competent contractor would have carried out the build cost for. :?

Well of course Birse somehow managed to build Glanford Park some 12 months earlier for £2.5m, Miller Construction built McDiarmid Park (1989) to a much higher specification than Bescot for roughly the same amount.

We went with "Denglen" or in other words GMI Construction, who have over the years built up a history of construction on sites belonging to Severn Trent Property who's mandate it was at the time to dispose of brownfield sites. Peter Gilman, founder of GMI is now a director of Walsall FC.

According to Jeff Bonser - see quote here...http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/09/0 ... all-board/

...Gilman is also a ...."long-standing friend of mine".....

Don't you just love dot to dot puzzles?

Quite how the "negotiated tender" process panned out I really can't help, because I havn't got the faintest idea.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:28 pm

Post Moderated : potentially libellous content

Big Daddy P
UTS Regular

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
Big Daddy P wrote:Well done Darren, at least you had the balls to put your name to something and send it to the club!
Good work chaps!

Thank you Grand Master P! I think it still leaves more questions than answers personally but oh well!

With respect to all and especially you Darren, the one that gets me is the comparision folks keep making between Glanford Park and the Bankss, none of the posters surely have intimate knowledge of what goes on between different places, with different structures at different times. I also note that at the time (Not sure about now) Glanford Park was paid for by the council and I assume the club paid (pays) rent, though that might be awkward as the council that did that no longer exists due to border changes! Can anyone shed any light on this?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:38 pm

Big Daddy P wrote:
Good work chaps!

With respect to all and especially you Darren, the one that gets me is the comparision folks keep making between Glanford Park and the Bankss, none of the posters surely have intimate knowledge of what goes on between different places, with different structures at different times. I also note that at the time (Not sure about now) Glanford Park was paid for by the council and I assume the club paid (pays) rent, though that might be awkward as the council that did that no longer exists due to border changes! Can anyone shed any light on this?

The cost to build Glandford Park - £2.5m - included the land which Scunthorpe still own.

So we paid twice as much for the stadium and then we've paid as much again in rent. That leaves Scunthorpe with what? Net 5m more to spend on players than us over the last 20 years?

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Big Daddy P wrote:
Good work chaps!

What we know is, looking at the 4 stadia that were built from scratch in the years 1988- 1990, that Bescot was by far the most expensive (if you add in the £1.3m land clean up costs), and compared to the next most expensive delivered a much lower spec. Its very fair to say by comparison it was the worst value for money stadium built at that time, and that's before you even consider the issue of the freehold which has cost the club many more millions in rent since.

Some later stadiums also cost less to build, eg Adams Park at Wycombe - although this was a lower spec than Bescot initially. I don't think fluctuation in material costs, any more than the gumph about the Taylor report can seriously be used to explain away £2-3 MILLION pounds worth of difference!!

If the site at Bescot was such a problem, then we should have found another site, oh but hang on, I don't think Severn Trent Property had any other sites in Walsall. :wink:

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:00 pm

philthesaddler wrote: Post moderated - potentially libellous content.

Ha you defend bangor for not putting up the answers for all this time due to copyright infringements, yet you post this highly contentious and most likely liabelous post i have ever seen. What exactly are you saying phil. Are you implying that there was a back hander. You really are a fool for posting that!

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:39 pm

stonesaddler wrote:

Ha you defend bangor for not putting up the answers for all this time due to copyright infringements, yet you post this highly contentious and most likely liabelous post i have ever seen. What exactly are you saying phil. Are you implying that there was a back hander. You really are a fool for posting that!

Have to agree 100% stonesaddler I think the powers that be on UTS need to remove this posting and have a little word with Phil.

HednesfordSaddler

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:40 pm

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:
stonesaddler wrote:

Have to agree 100% stonesaddler I think the powers that be on UTS need to remove this posting and have a little word with Phil.

But of course, Phils post may have been right...... :roll:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Bugga...missed Phil's post before the Mods got hold...can anyone provide the gist without appearing libellous?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:15 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Bugga...missed Phil's post before the Mods got hold...can anyone provide the gist without appearing libellous?

As long as they do it privately by PM, and it doesn't appear on the message board, yes.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:17 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Bugga...missed Phil's post before the Mods got hold...can anyone provide the gist without appearing libellous?

As long as they do it privately by PM, and it doesn't appear on the message board, yes.

Must have been a goodun then :D :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:19 pm

Ah yes, indeed it was. You would need parliamentary privelige to get away with that one :)

Thanks for the PM Yoda.

kevin
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:56 pm

PJD wrote:The cost to build Glandford Park - £2.5m - included the land which Scunthorpe still own.

So we paid twice as much for the stadium and then we've paid as much again in rent. That leaves Scunthorpe with what? Net 5m more to spend on players than us over the last 20 years?

Buiding cost comparisons for football stadiums at 1990 indicated ..........

.......for single tier basic stands , cost approx £225.00 per seat.
.......for ditto with changing rooms hospitality etc, cost approx £450.00 per seat.

Which , I think , because I ain't quite sure of the various stand capacities, Scunnies comes near to ..........6500 @ £225 plus 2500 @ £450 .

The McAlpine stadium , which was built 4 or 5 years later, and a tad more complex than "basic", cost £375.00 and £ £800.00 for similar .

mel58
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Jorge14 wrote:.......yet again Whalley spends time writing a reply probably pushing 1500 words. If it isn't true, why respond and why put the effort in to keep a charade up when you will be retired in a couple of years?

having preached the same gospel for so many years, he can do little else but continue along the same lines; two years is a long time to be in the spotlight.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:19 pm

I blame the stock market crash ....... if that never happened Terry Ramsden would have took us to the Champions League :D ....... and turkeys to Bob and Geoff W at Christmas

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:11 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Harlequin wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

and MMF's ass keeps ...

...go on, I'm learning...

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:28 pm

Pedro wrote:I blame the Stock Market crash ....... if that never happened Terry Ramsden would have taken us to the Champions League :D ....... and turkeys to Bob and Geoff W at Christmas

I don't celebrate Christmas (being an atheist) but I want my turkey! :twisted:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:50 pm

Pedro wrote:I blame the stock market crash ....... if that never happened Terry Ramsden would have took us to the Champions League :D ....... and turkeys to Bob and Geoff W at Christmas

I've been getting bitterer and bitterer about those turkeys ever since, and it only gets worse as my 60th approaches ! :lol:

Of course Pedagogue would have had at least SEVEN turkeys under his belt by now !

coventriansaddler
Glitterati

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:06 pm

I see his point. He gives an answer, people dont like/beleive it. Now that should end the circle but if it gets re-asked and he gives the same answer and again and again then yes he is going to become frustrated, rather reminds me of the scene in layer cake where ? is trying to explain to the duke why he can't get £5 an E. Well done to Roy for taking the time to reply in such depth when the club is often critised for not talking to the fans.

Also with the Bonser AGM attendance, he surley doesnt have to be there to answer questions about this years financial report, but I fear certain individuals see it as a P.A.C.E interview with JB sat in a chair where they can bombard him with questions on events that happened circa 20 years ago in the hope he may stutter and this could be taken as proof of a misdeed. In short I see why he doesnt attend and why he isnt required to attend.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:23 pm

Pedro wrote:I blame the stock market crash ....... if that never happened Terry Ramsden would have took us to the Champions League :D ....... and turkeys to Bob and Geoff W at Christmas

the good old days under Mr Ramsden - his helicopter was better than JB's as well :)

kevin
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:54 am

canadiansaddler wrote:
the good old days under Mr Ramsden - his helicopter was better than JB's as well :)

...............and his mullet.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:03 am

So what's wrong with the good ol' days?

As I watched Whitley Bay win 6-3 tonight....3 up after 10 minutes....50 goals already scored this season....5 goals tonight from 20+ yards....2 teams just attacking one another from the off....462 people watching (more than double last season's average), I just thought, this is like watching Walsall in the 80's under Buckley. Superb entertaining football.

Remember beating Cardiff 6-3, Preston 7-3, Reading and Bristol rovers 6-0 each all in a matter of months?
That was a football club, what a great little club we were. Great ground, great fans, superb philosophy of football.
The words "Walsall football Club" don't deserve to be sullied with the present incumbants.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:17 am

geoffwhiting wrote:

I've been getting bitterer and bitterer about those turkeys ever since, and it only gets worse as my 60th approaches ! :lol:

Of course Pedagogue would have had at least SEVEN turkeys under his belt by now !

Were they only given out each leap year ?

Big Daddy P
UTS Regular

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:05 am

PJD wrote:
Big Daddy P wrote:
Good work chaps!

The cost to build Glandford Park - £2.5m - included the land which Scunthorpe still own.

Not sure whos question you answered, but it wasnt mine, try reading the question again please.

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics