Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Questions to send to Roy and co

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Re: Questions to send to Roy and co

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:19 pm

Bernie wrote:
The response is quite long and any "paraphrasing" would only be picked apart and the person doing it accused of twisting the words to their own agenda

Producing an accurate precis of a piece of a text used to be a standard part of O-Level English Language. Has that skill disappeared from the curriculum?

I think you've missed the point Bernie.
Someone could do exactly as you have said but they'd still be open to accusations they have twisted Whalleys words or left bits out. It's far better to just show the response in it's original form and let people make their own minds up.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:14 pm

This is all a bit ridiculous.

I cant see the problem in printing the response. How does it break any rules apart from showing Whalley up to be the fool that he is?

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:23 pm

As someone who has read the responses I don't see any reason for them not to be published.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:As someone who has read the responses I don't see any reason for them not to be published.

Me Neither.

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Thats what I was thinking, Why is it splashed around like nobodys business when you pay a fiver, but otherwise we're not even allowed to discuss who is being challanged with libel? I seem to recall Swiftyboy published his response.

Apologies if Im coming off hard but surely you can see the frustration from people who havent seen the letter?

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:02 pm

I can't see how the rresponses are copyrighted. Unless there is a (c) then they cannot be copyright, they are simply words from the clubs' exec sectra\tary or whatever.

An printing what was said word for word wouldn't be libelous. The comments posted afterwards may be but not printing exactly what was said.

When the questions were put to Roy, did we make it clear who they were from and what would happen to the rersponse?

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:26 am

yoda wrote:I seem to recall Swiftyboy published his response.

He did.........and he got accused of twisting the words of it for his own ends.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:47 am

On this matter, it is up to this sites owner & he alone to decide if the clubs responses are published on an open forum.

Please respect the site owners decision on this.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:52 am

yoda wrote:Thats what I was thinking, Why is it splashed around like nobodys business when you pay a fiver, but otherwise we're not even allowed to discuss who is being challanged with libel? I seem to recall Swiftyboy published his response.

Apologies if Im coming off hard but surely you can see the frustration from people who havent seen the letter?

FOUTS obviously isn't a forum that the club can view, so it can be "splashed" around on there as it is a safe forum to do that.

If you really want to see the responses Yoda, pay a donation (Doesn't have to be a fiver) toward the running of UTS & gain access to FOUTS.

Simple really, isn't it.

MrsWS3

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:01 pm

MrsWS3 wrote:
Exile wrote:Thanks for the 'bump' Mrs WS3. I'm sure you'll appreciate that this is not a professional site, and those of us that give freely of our time to keep it up and running also have other things to do, and as such haven't been able to push the club reply to the public board yet.

Anyone can, of course, cut and paste those questions asked of the club into their own email and receive a response within the club's time frame at any stage.

thanks, I will contact Roy myself.

I followed Exile's advise and did has he suggested. I received the following reply on 1 Sept 09. I have deleted my name and Darren's email address for privacy reasons, although I have left his name in as it is known to everyone. (mods please feel free to delete if you think it's necessary)

Dear Mrs xxxxxx

Thank you for your email.My correspondence was with Darren Rhodes,who
wrote to me as an individual,not as a representative of UTS or any other
organisation.

Since I have to regard my reply to him as private correspondence I cannot really
send you a copy of my response. However I have no problem with you or anyone
else seeing my answers, I just feel that it is up to Darren whether he wishes our
correspondence to become public.

His email address is (deleted)

Thank you for your support and if I can be of further assisanc e please do not hesitate to
contact me.

Best regards

Roy Whalley

The conclussion I came to from this reply I prefer to keep to myself.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:10 pm

Its just that I dont really like being 'forced' to make a donation to be able to know all the facts in a debate. I have a horrible sickly feeling this thread was just set up as an advert for donations but I hope im wrong.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:10 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:I think you've missed the point Bernie.
Someone could do exactly as you have said but they'd still be open to accusations they have twisted Whalleys words or left bits out. It's far better to just show the response in it's original form and let people make their own minds up.

Sorry, but I thought that the point was that people were afraid of being taken to court, not just criticised.

If someone prints a precis of the points made by Roy Whalley in his letter then there is no breach of copyright, and (except in very rare circumstances) no unlawful breach of confidentiality.

Why on earth should anyone be worried about being criticised by Roy Whalley for not giving an accurate version of his reply? Firstly it ought to be very simple to make a fair and balanced precis of his points. Secondly if Mr Whalley thinks that the precis is unfair then he will certainly have the opportunity, whether in the club website, the local press, or a comment on this board, to put the record straight.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:13 pm

yoda wrote:I have a horrible sickly feeling this thread was just set up as an advert for donations but I hope im wrong.

I really, honestly don't think that that was the intention, yoda. What I do think though is that in all honesty those who made the appeal for questions to ask did so without really thinking through how those answers may legitimately be shared amongst those who asked. My belief is the most criticism that can be laid at the doors of those who appealed for questions is that their good intentions and enthusiasm came first, and their understanding as to the communication process and possible pit-falls came second.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Bernie wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:I think you've missed the point Bernie.

Sorry, but I thought that the point was that people were afraid of being taken to court, not just criticised.

If someone prints a precis of the points made by Roy Whalley in his letter then there is no breach of copyright, and (except in very rare circumstances) no unlawful breach of confidentiality.

Why on earth should anyone be worried about being criticised by Roy Whalley for not giving an accurate version of his reply? Firstly it ought to be very simple to make a fair and balanced precis of his points. Secondly if Mr Whalley thinks that the precis is unfair then he will certainly have the opportunity, whether in the club website, the local press, or a comment on this board, to put the record straight.

I think we were basically agreeing Bernie but i was just saying that the criticism would likely come from the board rather than the club because they would have to accept that persons word rather than seeing the actual letter.

Anyway it dow matter now because the answers are published in all their glory.....or not as the case may be! :mrgreen:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:06 pm

For those who havent seen it, Daz has posted the answers

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32279

Previous
Return to UTS Classics