Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

BUCKLEY is the NEW MANAGER !!!!

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
caw92

Re: BUCKLEY is the NEW MANAGER !!!!

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:23 pm

andy22 wrote:Ok it's Buckley but who's his assistant???

Martin o'connor ?

Finch

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:26 pm

For what it's worth one of the main things I've missed about following the boys this season is any sense of positivity from anywhere.

If a little bald man who so many people worship (and rightly so) for his past achievements can get people being a bit more upbeat for whatever reason - then I'm sold.

Bring in Buck!!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:29 pm

coxy wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:What an absolute disgrace if this is true.

The bloke will be a complete liability and was totally useless as a manager the last time he was here.

[post moderated - libellous]

When he was last here as a Walsall manager? Were you watching the same team? We played the most exciting, attacking football that I can remember since I started watching walsall in 1980.
Or when he was an opposing manager? Maybe.
OK I'm a little sceptical about his recent record, but its his homecoming and if he can pull it out anywhere, it will be at Walsall. You don't become a bad manager overnight - he did well in his first spell at Grimsby with a similar financial backing to us. Let's wait and see.

Sentiment does not win anything on its own. But, yes, let's wait and see.

motty
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:38 pm

i will be going to every home game for the remainder of the season if this is true a walsall great who does not deserve poor attendances

(applies tin hat)

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:46 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Alan Buckley was sacked this season by Grimsby - a similar club in many ways to us, after failing to win any of their first 15 or so games in League 2.

2 points from 6 games. 7 successive defeats to end last season (although that was mainly because after Wembley they had absolutely nothing to play for).

Full record, post-Walsall:
Grimsby
Joined in summer 88 after successive relegations to bottom division
88/89 9th
89/90 2nd - PROMOTED to League One
90/91 3rd - PROMOTED to Championship
91/92 19th
92/93 9th
93/94 16th

Albion
Joined in October 94 with the club struggling in the Championship after narrowly avoiding relegation the previous year
94/95 - 19th
95/96 - 11th
Sacked in Jan 97 with the club in bottom half

Grimsby
Joined in summer 97 after relegation to League One
97/98 - 3rd PROMOTED to Championship
98/99 - 11th
99/00 - 20th
Sacked in August 2000 - why??!!

Lincoln
Joined in Feb 01 with club fighting relegation from League Two
00/01 - 18th (23 points from 16 games)
01/02 - 22nd
Left by mutual consent, with club in administration

Rochdale
Joined in summer 03. Left by mutual consent just after Christmas having taken 28 points from 28 games.

Grimsby
Took over in Nov 06 with club 22nd in League Two
06/07 - 15th
07/08 - 18th
Sacked in September 08 after poor start to 08/09 season.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Not a shabby record. Ive seen worse.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:51 pm

best of luck then i would of liked to have seen someone new though

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:Alan Buckley is my all time Walsall hero both as a player and a manager. I was gutted when he was sacked last time.

The one thing I worry about is that if his record with other clubs has been a little haphazard.

He will however always be a true Walsall hero - and any young 'uns who bad-mouth him will be on the receiving end of some vitriolic comments from me!!!

Same here!

I don't care if we hardly get any points (within reason), he is the true lord and master of Walsall FC.

Nay-sayers and heretics will be destroyed.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:53 pm

coxy wrote:

The bloke will be a complete liability and was totally useless as a manager the last time he was here.

When he was last here as a Walsall manager? Were you watching the same team? We played the most exciting, attacking football that I can remember since I started watching walsall in 1980.
OK I'm a little sceptical about his recent record, but its his homecoming and if he can pull it out anywhere, it will be at Walsall. You don't become a bad manager overnight - he did well in his first spell at Grimsby with a similar financial backing to us. Let's wait and see.

So what did the so called "exciting and attacking" football achieve then?
He was clueless tactically as well.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:54 pm

I stand corrected on his managerial form with Grimsby earlier this season, RS. I thought it was worse than that.

However, combine that with the 7 successive defeats at the end of last season, and it still ain't great.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:54 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:Alan Buckley is my all time Walsall hero both as a player and a manager. I was gutted when he was sacked last time.

The one thing I worry about is that if his record with other clubs has been a little haphazard.

He will however always be a true Walsall hero - and any young 'uns who bad-mouth him will be on the receiving end of some vitriolic comments from me!!!

Same here!

I don't care if we hardly get any points (within reason), he is the true lord and master of Walsall FC.

Nay-sayers and heretics will be destroyed.

:lol:

PT
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm seeing the Specials in Brum in April and Alan Buckley is back as Walsall manager. It's the 1979 version of Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes.

I think the future of Walsall FC looks bleak so we're being treated to some nostalgia. The word "legend" gets banded about like confetti but The Buck is a Walsall legend and I hope he can conjure something out of nothing just as he did when he was terrorising defences during my formative years.

People have spoke on here about football being very transient, not least at Walsall where our longest serving player is only 22. So here is a link with our history and I welcome it, if only for the very selfish reason of my kids seeing my childhood hero and at least picturing dad/Walsall FC/Alan Buckley together as they should be.

Looking forward to Saturday now. I hope Cheggars is somewhere near our house on Swap Shop, because I want to swap my six million dollar man action figure for a kerplunk.

B-U-C-K-L-E-Y Buckerly Buckerly.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:57 pm

PT wrote:B-U-C-K-L-E-Y Buckerly Buckerly

At least we've got a song for him! better than [insert four syllable version of manager's name here]'s barmy army. :D

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:03 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
coxy wrote:

Erm... a League cup semifinal for a start?

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:05 pm

Bernie wrote:Those who criticise Buckley's recent record should take into account the fact at his most recent jobs at Lincoln, Rochdale and Grimsby he went to those clubs when they were in a terrible state and when he was sacked he left them in a better position than when he went there.

Buckley has never been relegated in nearly 30 years as a manager. Frankly at this stage if he could guarantee that when he leaves us we will not have been relegated and will be higher in the league than we are now, then I am prepared to settle for that.

But Buckley has not just been good at avoiding relegation. He has taken his lower league teams on three trips to Wembley, the most recent last spring. He has won three promotions, so I would not rule out him doing the same at Walsall, provided he is given long enough to establish his own squad of players.

Agree

To show how stats can be used to tell another side of his recent Grimsby management stint, his win percentage at Grimsby during his last reign there was same as DD's with us. - strange that.

Lets do the usual write the guy off before he starts, then when failure sets in a season or two we can all say told you so.

I for one hope the story is true, simply for the positive feeling it may create, mind you based on this thread I have my doubts. At least those able to see the mighty saddlers may get to see the odd decent game of footie played by the boys. As for his legend status being ruined , no matter what happens this time round his status as a Walsall Icon will always remain in tact.

A trip back to the good old days is upon us, when football was fun, not goverend by money, we barely new what a pension was let alone a pension fund, no one worried about the price of oil , the price of milk and bread was of more importance, Arthur Scargill will be calling the miners out, Red Robbie will be marching round Longbridge giving out the sleeping bags and calling everyone out, Jimmy Saville will be claiming this is the age of the train, we will have a three day work week, power cuts every other day and Dexy's Midnight Runner will somehow make it to the top of the Charts with "Geno"- life is good again :)

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:06 pm

yoda wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
coxy wrote:

Erm... a League cup semifinal for a start?

They're only 90 minutes from Europe! Who's got the photo of that poster? Post it please!

matty-the-saddler

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:12 pm

why is everone moaning?
yes he might not be the best manager avalible
but he is walsall through and through
he will make players play for shirts and he will bring in some good experienced players

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:16 pm

matty-the-saddler wrote:he will make players play for shirts and he will bring in some good experienced players

It's very difficult for managers to get the modern day lazy player to play for any shirt. Good experience players? What with?

Good luck the Buck. Yow'll need it.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:17 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
andy22 wrote:Ok it's Buckley but who's his assistant???

Major Buckley manager, and his son Alan as assistant I guess! :D

(That's one for the oldies I can tell yer!

Didn't know you were THAT old Geoff. I hope you havn't been fibbing to us over all those years :lol: 8)

The Buck

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:23 pm

When I heard this earlier today, I got goose pimples all over. Even now typing this I am tingling.

However..... When you get over the initial emotional response you have to say that his record over recent times has not been that brilliant.

The best player I ever saw in a white shirt, I would love to see him return and inject some passion to this dying club, but I would hate to see him sacked in six months and go down as a failure.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Bernie wrote:Those who criticise Buckley's recent record should take into account the fact at his most recent jobs at Lincoln, Rochdale and Grimsby he went to those clubs when they were in a terrible state and when he was sacked he left them in a better position than when he went there.

Buckley has never been relegated in nearly 30 years as a manager. Frankly at this stage if he could guarantee that when he leaves us we will not have been relegated and will be higher in the league than we are now, then I am prepared to settle for that.

But Buckley has not just been good at avoiding relegation. He has taken his lower league teams on three trips to Wembley, the most recent last spring. He has won three promotions, so I would not rule out him doing the same at Walsall, provided he is given long enough to establish his own squad of players.

Bernie, you've almost convinced me. I hope if it is him involved in some way (either as manager or assistant), then it does work out. Buckley was a fantastic player for us (I just caught the end of his playing career) and a wonderful manager (his mid-eighties side still sets the standard for me - wonderful to watch) - and I hope that this is a wonderful swansong rather than a lingering bad memory of an otherwise great servant to the club. And for the club, we need a success, and a lift. I'm fascinated to know who the team is - and if it is Buckley, who he is with. Ling/Smith would get my vote however, as the ideal, or almost any team led by David Kelly - that would galvanise the fans.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Exile wrote:They're only 90 minutes from Europe! Who's got the photo of that poster? Post it please!

Not a great copy as I had to lift it from the Road to Bescot video

snapple
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:29 pm

hi folks

i dont usually post on here but i am a regular lurker and i would just like to say that i am happy with this appointmant and unlike a lot of moaning, glass half empty gits on here i will now attend matches with a new and hopeful attitude in the hope that we will have a decent second half to the season.

if you cant see the good side of this appointment then you are supporting the wrong team.

thats all really

UTS!

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Half the squad in that weren't even players! Funny as, that.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:32 pm

Cheap Option - YES! definately.
Stayaways Come Back - NO! defiantely.
Buckley Successful as a manager - NO! never.

True, we may get a few results when he comes, bu when the honeymoon period is over, I guarntee the bloke will be a complete flop and people will be calling
for his head by the end of the season.

Well done JB, yet another total disaster.
You are a DISGRACE to Walsall football club.

Dear oh dear Sheff. 'Totally useless' as a manager? The best footballing side I've ever seen at Walsall, consistently close to promotion for a number of seasons, following several years of much poorer performances. And a Milk Cup semi final. Whether he can repeat that is questionable, but his record for us is far from useless.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:33 pm

I am prepared to give him every chance. I would be delighted if this is correct, he was always a legend at Walsall and a hero of mine.

As for the allegations that he achieved nothing with us:

Promotion from division 4 having led the league for most of the season

League cup semi final

Cup runs generally (remember those?)

I always felt he had a raw deal when he was shown the door by Ramsden along with Garry Pendry. From memory he had taken us to 6th place and just missed out on promotion. Tommy Coakley inherited his team and took us up.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Saddlers.co.uk says we are appointing a 'management team'. I think Buckley is coming as a joint or assistant manager to a younger man.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Exile wrote:Half the squad in that weren't even players! Funny as, that.

Not so sure about that:

Mower, Summerfield, Preece (RIP), O'Kelly, Shakespeare, Caswell, Sinnott, Brazier

Then of course Pendrey and Buckley as management team
Last edited by Dave Gittins on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:37 pm

I'd have prefered Ward, I'd never have gone again to see Atkins, but Bonser has played a clever card.
He needed someone that the fans would get behind (and so take the heat off himself) and he needed someone cheap.
Buckley is available and won't cost a lot!
I'm sure he has a contract to the end of the season and then it will be reviewed.

We were never going to get a big name, but at least this appointment brings a smile and many happy memories to cheer us up at this time of doom and gloom.

Welcome back Alan - you will always be my hero.

And another point. Buckley was useless when it came to the transfer deadline.
Remember Bamber and Naughton. They came at the wrong time and disrupted a promotion winning team.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:38 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Saddlers.co.uk says we are appointing a 'management team'. I think Buckley is coming as a joint or assistant manager to a younger man.

That's the bit that I'm excited about. Buckley is a credible if unspectacular choice, but I'm really keen to find out who the man alongside him will be.

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics