Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

BUCKLEY is the NEW MANAGER !!!!

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Ian Gittins

Re: BUCKLEY is the NEW MANAGER !!!!

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:19 pm

I just feel 16 again. I'm going to my room to do my homework now.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:20 pm

Ian Gittins wrote:I just feel 16 again. I'm going to my room to do my homework now.

Doe forget the Kays catalogue!

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:22 pm

There's a time and a place for everything and Buckley's return to the Banks's is neither in the current climate.

Ignoring his dubious recent managerial record, he is set up to fail. The Club is potless and he will not get the support he needs from the Board as they are not willing to put their hands in their pockets. Its a cynical attempt by the Chairman to boost crowds at the expense of the reputation of a great former Saddler. Buckley is either mad, desperate for the money or probably both to want to come back.

I am of an age where Buckley is my footballing God, without doubt, my favourite Walsall player and manager of all-time. I just can't bear to see my memories of him sullied by being associated with this corrupt regime.

I don't think he'll last till the beginning of next season but it will be unlikely that I'll renew the season ticket I've held for nearly 40 years and see my God turned into a mere mortal for the sake of a few extra quid in the pension fund kitty.

I hope its not true and Atkins is appointed. A least on his diet of football I can buy a neckbrace and watch with a degree of detachment until the next mug manager is appointed.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:24 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Its a cynical attempt by the Chairman to boost crowds

And one which will probably work....which sums up the real problem with the club. Fans with odd ideas of what is good for the club.

sj
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:25 pm

Great news ,I will be back sitting next to Geoff on Saturday. Can we get the" Laundry End" back next. :)

kevin
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Typical Bonser..............willing to sacrifice a blokes legendary status, in order to protect his own avaricious back side.

Don't do it Alan...........you deserve better.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Can I ask an honest question without being chastised?

If we cant give Buckley a chance, what exactly do you guys want?
Bonser was taking rent cheques while we were at Cardiff, Notts County and Swindon, so why have people decided now that things are SOOOOO bad that they are dissappointed by the Buck, they cant even give him a shot?

Im not taking a stance on the Bonser/rent thing, Im just asking, are things really THAT bad that people are upset with the Buck? Fair enough if you think his records not up to scratch, but I think judging the situation on any other reason is a bit harsh.

Im not saying hes a tactical genius, Im saying at the height of Mullens reign, people wanted somebody to steady the ship and bring the love back. It seems that was the criteria, so thats what we're faced with.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Jockey wrote:Maybe AB has been there all day to talk about the number 2 position???

Young man in place as manager, Mark Kinsella, Martin O'connor, Dean Smith, Ada Viceash or David Kelly??

Just a thought

I'd prefer Richard O'Kelly or Craig Shakespeare BUT expect Stuart Watkiss

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:34 pm

As one of the 'younger generation' of Walsall fans, I can only rely on secondary accounts of Buckley as both a Walsall player and a Walsall manager.
What I will say though is that (as if he didn't already) he deserves wholehearted backing from the fans right from the word go. He also needs wholehearted backing from the board to allow one or two to be brought in before the end of the month.

Previously I'd expressed a bit of a scepticism about Buckley as our next manager, but I seriously can't see things being as bad under him as they were under Mullen. At least there are suggestions that he'll get us at least trying to get the ball on the deck for a start.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:36 pm

If it's not too contradictory, I agree with both yoda and old penk saddler.

Very ambivalent, yet excited, if this rumour turns out to be right. Ward was nailed on last week, Atkins is now literally yesterday's man, so I'll wait till it's formal, thanks.

Frankly, I'm scared for his reputation.

Ian Gittins

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:37 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Ian Gittins wrote:I just feel 16 again. I'm going to my room to do my homework now.

Doe forget the Kays catalogue!

Showers or lingerie?

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Not good enough for Grimsby so how does that make him good enough for Walsall! As he is a Walsall legend i will give the man a chance but believe his reputation will get tarnished and we will be looking for a new manager again in the summer.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:41 pm

I dont get why people fear for his reputation. Eventually he'll get fired, every manager does at any level.

But surely even at worst he'll be remebered as someone who just lost the touch when he got on a bit (we all do). It doesnt wipe clean what he achieved last time as manager.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:44 pm

yoda wrote:I dont get why people fear for his reputation. Eventually he'll get fired, every manager does at any level.

But surely even at worst he'll be remebered as someone who just lost the touch when he got on a bit (we all do). It doesnt wipe clean what he achieved last time as manager.

He's a legend. Perennial underachiever, mind, but exciting he certainly was. Last time he left Walsall wasn't because he'd failed, it was because the club had been sold, and the new owner wanted his own man.

Can history repeat?

Delves Saddler

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm another of the younger generation but I am genuinely excited about this. I've grew up listening to my Dad and Grandad tell me stories about Buckley and the way we used to play and I've always been quite jealous of this because I don't seem to recall anything close to what he supposedly gave us duringmy lifetime. Also before Mullen decided to go off the rails I do recall us playing some very decent football early on in the season. Once the injuries have cleared up and say if we bring a couple more bodies in combined with Buckley's style of play, who knows maybe it could be a success? I'll be gutted if it isn't him now. I'm also willing to accept the more knowledgable opinions of the older Saddlers on here if I have said anything off the mark :)

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:49 pm

I dont know. I just dont get how anything he does this time would 'ruin' his achievements last time.

If he was THAT much of a legend surely another crack couldnt ruin it. Its not like hes brought a box at Wolves while sponsering the new West Brom shirt. Then I'd agree hes probably devalued his Walsall achievements.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:51 pm

How stupid/let down will we all feel now if its not? :lol:

Cueball
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:54 pm

If this is a wind-up about Buckley, can I be the first to say well done! With so many threads already, it could be the most spectacular wind-up rumour ever seen on UTS. :D
Last edited by Cueball on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Stu wrote:
Duke wrote:
Scooby wrote: PASSION FOR THE SADDLERS. .

agreed ,another thing is all Buckleys teams get the ball down and play.

And that worked fantastically in his last 3 spells didn't it... We're in the sticky brown stuff now, we need passion, heart, bottle and balls. It might have to be ugly to get us out of the mess, it might have to be ugly if we lose a couple of players and don't bring anyone in. Now isn't the time for pretty, now is the time for a fight!

But they're not the things we've been lacking. The players who've gone out on a Saturday have been giving it their all. They've just been totally unprepared. No pattern of play (other than lumping it long and hoping for set pieces), players in the wrong positions and not fit enough to last the whole 90 minutes. Sounds a lot like an Atkins side to me (other than the fitness, which he coudn't fix mid-season anyway).

Appointing someone to get us to play ugly is just asking for more of the same. So, even if we really were in the brown stuff and not nine points away from it, it wouldn't be the answer. At least getting someone who wants to play the ball on the ground might allow us to progress the ball from back to front in a manner that gives our strikers a chance of doing something with it.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Cueball wrote:Is this is a wind-up about Buckley, can I be the first to say well done! With so many threads already, it could be the most spectacular wind-up rumour ever seen on UTS. :D

:P Offer spouting off does not constitute a wind-up. :mrgreen:

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:58 pm

Exile wrote:
Cueball wrote:Is this is a wind-up about Buckley, can I be the first to say well done! With so many threads already, it could be the most spectacular wind-up rumour ever seen on UTS. :D

:P Offer spouting off does not constitute a wind-up. :mrgreen:

I wouldnt have entertained the idea unless Geoff Whiting got in on it. Hes usually pretty on the mark.

DiddyP
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:59 pm

My Ricketts one was the best he'll sign by 11am tomorrow, delay in transfer contract late send off needs registered with F.A. before it can be confirmed and they still fell for it.

bigste

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:03 pm

Would like to see Martin Ling and Dean Smith, as they have worked with no budget at Leyton Orient, and know the leauge well.

But whoever it is,they will get my full support and might even tempt me back on a regular basis, can't wait till tommorrow !!

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:07 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:Its a cynical attempt by the Chairman to boost crowds

And one which will probably work....which sums up the real problem with the club. Fans with odd ideas of what is good for the club.

I'll be surprised if it makes a huge difference to be honest, because I think people will also look at his recent record. I'd be gobsmacked if 1,000 people suddenly walked back through the doors against Hereford just because Buckley was appointed.

PH - Based on the performances I've seen, I've not really seen much passion, heart and balls from our team under Mullen. I've seen one paced half arsed pedestrian football, along with a complete lack of quality. There are very few players in our team who must walk off that pitch absolutely knackered because they've given their all, they walk off knackered cos their unfit.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Those who criticise Buckley's recent record should take into account the fact at his most recent jobs at Lincoln, Rochdale and Grimsby he went to those clubs when they were in a terrible state and when he was sacked he left them in a better position than when he went there.

Buckley has never been relegated in nearly 30 years as a manager. Frankly at this stage if he could guarantee that when he leaves us we will not have been relegated and will be higher in the league than we are now, then I am prepared to settle for that.

But Buckley has not just been good at avoiding relegation. He has taken his lower league teams on three trips to Wembley, the most recent last spring. He has won three promotions, so I would not rule out him doing the same at Walsall, provided he is given long enough to establish his own squad of players.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:11 pm

DiddyP wrote:

My Ricketts one was the best he'll sign by 11am tomorrow, delay in transfer contract late send off needs registered with F.A. before it can be confirmed and they still fell for it.

Name one regular who fell for it.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:11 pm

What an absolute disgrace if this is true.
Cheap Option - YES! definately.
Stayaways Come Back - NO! defiantely.
Buckley Successful as a manager - NO! never.

The bloke will be a complete liability and was totally useless as a manager the last time he was here.
True, we may get a few results when he comes, bu when the honeymoon period is over, I guarntee the bloke will be a complete flop and people will be calling
for his head by the end of the season.

Well done JB, yet another total disaster.
You are a DISGRACE to Walsall football club.

[post moderated - libellous]
Last edited by SheffieldSaddler on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Alan Buckley is one of my all time heroes, both as a player and manager. However, this appointment - if true - is rubbish, and is harking to the past rather than the future. As has been said above, it is a transparent and desperate attempt by an unpopular owner to try and shore up support and distract supporters away from the ruinous decline of our club. It may even work, for a time, but this has short term desperation written all over it.

Alan Buckley was sacked this season by Grimsby - a similar club in many ways to us, after failing to win any of their first 15 or so games in League 2. If he had of stayed, they may well have been relegated, even with the points deductions of Luton, Bournemouth and Rotherham. Their start was that appalling.

I really hope he succeeds, if this turns out to be the case - but, based upon his recent record, and the constraints that will be imposed on whatever the final managerial team will be, it could all go horribly wrong.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Bernie wrote:Those who criticise Buckley's recent record should take into account the fact at his most recent jobs at Lincoln, Rochdale and Grimsby he went to those clubs when they were in a terrible state and when he was sacked he left them in a better position than when he went there.

Buckley has never been relegated in nearly 30 years as a manager. Frankly at this stage if he could guarantee that when he leaves us we will not have been relegated and will be higher in the league than we are now, then I am prepared to settle for that.

But Buckley has not just been good at avoiding relegation. He has taken his lower league teams on three trips to Wembley, the most recent last spring. He has won three promotions, so I would not rule out him doing the same at Walsall, provided he is given long enough to establish his own squad of players.

And there in lies the problem. Still I like your optimism. I must admit after earlier scepticism, I am now feeling the optimism. Football is about dreams after all and maybe Buckley can rekindle some of the spirit that has been missing from the place recently. Fingers crossed anyway.

coxy
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:19 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:What an absolute disgrace if this is true.

The bloke will be a complete liability and was totally useless as a manager the last time he was here.

[post moderated - libellous]

When he was last here as a Walsall manager? Were you watching the same team? We played the most exciting, attacking football that I can remember since I started watching walsall in 1980.
Or when he was an opposing manager? Maybe.
OK I'm a little sceptical about his recent record, but its his homecoming and if he can pull it out anywhere, it will be at Walsall. You don't become a bad manager overnight - he did well in his first spell at Grimsby with a similar financial backing to us. Let's wait and see.

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics