Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

BUCKLEY is the NEW MANAGER !!!!

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Re: BUCKLEY is the NEW MANAGER !!!!

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:48 pm

Mixed feelings about this (though mostly negative!)

On the one hand, if he was being talked about as being manager of any other club, then their fans' reaction would likely be similar to ours was when Atkins was mentioned - and with very good reason (in fact his recent record is probably worse than Atkins')

On the other hand, he's probably the ONLY realistic candidate (ie will work with Taylor and is cheap) who would put bums on seats, which we so desperately need.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:48 pm

Duke wrote:
Scooby wrote: PASSION FOR THE SADDLERS. .

agreed ,another thing is all Buckleys teams get the ball down and play.

Are you sure Grimsby did that recently?

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:51 pm

My inside source tells me that The Buck's backroom staff will be Bernie Wright and George Andrews.

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:52 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Well it's mixed feelings for me mate to be honest, I really don't know what to expect now.

There's no doubt Buckley has been one of my Saddlers' heroes as a player, and as a manager we played some of the best and most pleasing football I have ever seen from any Walsall side, so on the one hand I can hardly say anything against him, but on the other hand it's been a long long time since those days.

What I do know for sure is that there is a chance I'll come back under Buckley, but there was NO chance if it had been Schofield or Atkins. Now the test is how much JB allows him to spend on team strengthening, and who knows I may be coming back to see how we do.

You took the words out of my mouth Geoff!

When Mullen was sacked I posted that JB would make a populist choice, to get fans back and to divert attention from the other flak like the rent. Buckleys recent managerial record is poor, but I suppose it's no different to some of the other candidates. If they were any good they would still be in a job as well.

It's certainly generated some excitement already - lets hope it can be transferred onto the pitch on Saturday.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:
Duke wrote:

never saw them play , but thats always been Buckleys way his teams try to play football .

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Im only 21 and never got to see buckley play, i will not right him off as everyone deserve a chance, this could be an appointment soul to get the fans back and i believe it will, but he is not proven and has recently failed with grimsby, would you want to but a shadow over his excellent walsall reputation by seeing him fail in try to manage us, Buckley wont get us out the serious trouble were already in.

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Duke wrote:

And that worked fantastically in his last 3 spells didn't it... We're in the sticky brown stuff now, we need passion, heart, bottle and balls. It might have to be ugly to get us out of the mess, it might have to be ugly if we lose a couple of players and don't bring anyone in. Now isn't the time for pretty, now is the time for a fight!

DiddyP
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:56 pm

Stu wrote:A little haphazard? His recent record is atrocious. Just to compare him with Ian Atkins, who everybody is hammering.

Since 2001 -
Buckley, 1.14 points per game, 52/season, i.e. just about saved from relegation by 2/3 points
Atkins, 1.37 points per game, 63/season, i.e. fairly comfy mid table.

Buckley is on the back of 3 disastorous spells at Rochdale, Lincoln and Grimsby. His relationship with us goes back 25 years. Take off the rose tinted glasses will you... This team doesn't have a David Preece, Kevin Summerfield, Ian Handysides, Gary Childs, Peter Hart or Colin Brazier et al. If I've got a choice of the above, I'll take Atkins as I know he'll install balls, bottle and passion for a fight and his recent record is better.

I presume if it is Buckley, the assistant will be Stuart Watkiss as I think they were at Grimsby together. You've got to be 35+ to really remember Buckley as a player/manager properly, it seems like a half hearted attempt to please the fans.

If Bonser was going to sack an assistant and allow a new bloke to bring his own guy in, he is 5/6 months too late.

If I gave you Buckley's recent record and said this is who we're appointint, without giving a name, you wouldn't touch him with your worst enemys bargepole!!! What difference does 11 letters make?

obviously he believes he can do a job, you think he wants to wreck the legend status he has. Look at Shearer he don't believe in himself enough to take Newcastle job and anyways Buck is gona want this club to do well and the passion and drive he has will hopefully rub off onto the players, imagine if O'Connor is his assistant then we have two former players who'd run through a brick wall for this club and for me I'm willing to give them a chance.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Shoot me down for this but with Buckley in charge we will be in league 2 next season.

Duke
Site Addict

Its nothing knew for a manager or player for that matter to fail at one club and succeed at another .

Ian Gittins

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:57 pm

Well, logic may suggest it's a dodgy appointment, but if it's true, I'm delighted, for sentimental reasons as well as just liking the guy. I think even the notoriously hard to please Walsall fans should give him a chance: he is a Saddlers legend, and what on Earth is to be gained by slagging him off before his appointment is even announced? First Kenneth Clarke, and now this...

Cueball
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:57 pm

Stu wrote:A little haphazard? His recent record is atrocious. Just to compare him with Ian Atkins, who everybody is hammering.

Since 2001 -
Buckley, 1.14 points per game, 52/season, i.e. just about saved from relegation by 2/3 points
Atkins, 1.37 points per game, 63/season, i.e. fairly comfy mid table.

Buckley is on the back of 3 disastorous spells at Rochdale, Lincoln and Grimsby. His relationship with us goes back 25 years. Take off the rose tinted glasses will you... This team doesn't have a David Preece, Kevin Summerfield, Ian Handysides, Gary Childs, Peter Hart or Colin Brazier et al. If I've got a choice of the above, I'll take Atkins as I know he'll install balls, bottle and passion for a fight and his recent record is better.

I presume if it is Buckley, the assistant will be Stuart Watkiss as I think they were at Grimsby together. You've got to be 35+ to really remember Buckley as a player/manager properly, it seems like a half hearted attempt to please the fans.

If Bonser was going to sack an assistant and allow a new bloke to bring his own guy in, he is 5/6 months too late.

If I gave you Buckley's recent record and said this is who we're appointint, without giving a name, you wouldn't touch him with your worst enemys bargepole!!! What difference does 11 letters make?

Great post. It it is Buckley it's clearly little more than a feel-good marketing appointment - aimed more at increasing gates than increasing points. I hope I'm wrong but like Mullen, all his success was years ago.

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Duke wrote:Its nothing knew for a manager or player for that matter to fail at one club and succeed at another .

In that case, what's wrong with Ian Atkins, or how about Martin Ling or anyone recently sacked lower division manager?

For the record, I'm not slagging him off, I'm just looking at the facts in black and white and saying I'm not sure he is the right appointment.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:00 pm

Jockey wrote:Shoot me down for this but with Buckley in charge we will be in league 2 next season.

I shoot you down! There are some awful teams in this division - teams we managed to beat even when Jimmy Mullen was in charge. We'll surely pick up enough to be safe (this season).

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:02 pm

Stu wrote:
Duke wrote:Its nothing knew for a manager or player for that matter to fail at one club and succeed at another .

In that case, what's wrong with Ian Atkins, or how about Martin Ling or anyone recently sacked lower division manager?

For the record, I'm not slagging him off, I'm just looking at the facts in black and white and saying I'm not sure he is the right appointment.

I'm not sure Stu who is , I thought Ray Graydon was the wrong appointment at the time.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:03 pm

andy22 wrote:Ok it's Buckley but who's his assistant???

Sorry if this has been said but wasn't Stuart Watkiss his assistant at Grimsby?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Buckley would be a great move. He knows the game inside out at our level and plays proper football, not this hoofball rubbish that we suffered for the last few years.

I'm going down in the morning to see whats what.

Bring on Saturday & a 5k home crowd.

UTS!!

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Was it Mullen or Bonser/STM that brought in Hughes and Ricketts?

I ask because wether the Buck will be in charge of such transfers will affect my opinion of him taking the hot seat.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Duke wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:
Duke wrote:

never saw them play , but thats always been Buckleys way his teams try to play football .

And Michael Jackson used to be black. :wink:

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Asps wrote:I'm going down in the morning to see whats what.

UTS!!

Ive always wondered this, as im usually at work when things happen. Do the club let the public in to press confrences?

Wendy Mumford
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Asps wrote:Buckley would be a great move. He knows the game inside out at our level and plays proper football, not this hoofball rubbish that we suffered for the last few years.

I'm going down in the morning to see whats what.

Bring on Saturday & a 5k home crowd.

UTS!!

Got more chance of Sheff growing some male genitals!!!!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:08 pm

yoda wrote:

UTS!!

Ive always wondered this, as im usually at work when things happen. Do the club let the public in to press confrences?

The press are lucky to get into WFC press conferences!

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Ian Gittins wrote:Well, logic may suggest it's a dodgy appointment, but if it's true, I'm delighted, for sentimental reasons as well as just liking the guy. I think even the notoriously hard to please Walsall fans should give him a chance: he is a Saddlers legend, and what on Earth is to be gained by slagging him off before his appointment is even announced? First Kenneth Clarke, and now this...

Well they say good things come in threes..............

Clarke, Buckley and Obama!

Wendy Mumford
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:09 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
yoda wrote:

UTS!!

The press are lucky to get into WFC press conferences!

Love you MMF! x x x x x x x

Wendy Mumford
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:11 pm

We need to get chubby sexy Pedro to text his bestest mate the Poolemyster to see if there's any truth in Fat doffers revelation

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:11 pm

hope this is a joke ? who's is number 2 Stu Watkiss ? never go back - this is a backwards move if true

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:12 pm

I have almost respesct for him.

Though making him manager again is a very bad appointment if is true. What has he done recently! He didnt do nothing at Grimsby.

It would spoil all of his hard work from the past. His cult image would be damaged! I prey its not true.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Jockey wrote:Shoot me down for this but with Buckley in charge we will be in league 2 next season.

Bang! Bang!

During his accumulated 10 years in charge at Grimsby, he was never relegated.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:15 pm

RED 5 wrote: He didnt do nothing at Grimsby.

I know, he dragged that poor clubs fans out of bed one Sunday to see there club play at a certain 90,000 seater stadium in London. How thoughtless of him.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Buckly was before my time as a Saddler - but his record elsewhere aint great. I would expect his style of footie to be preferable to some of the other names bandied about, but can;t get over excited. Whoever comes in will have my full support for a few games at least :mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics