Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

BUCKLEY is the NEW MANAGER !!!!

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Doffer
UTS Veteran

BUCKLEY is the NEW MANAGER !!!!

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:03 pm

:D Offer here,

WELL,

We were 1st with the Sacking of Schofield, now we have the new managers name !!

HE HAS BEEN AT THE CLUB ALL DAY TODAY !!! - MR ALAN BUCKLEY.

Comments please !!

:D Offer
Last edited by admin on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin writes: this thread is preserved to illustrate a famous example of when a UTS contributor didn't exactly get it spot on....but we still love Doffer....

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: BUCKLEY is the NEW MANAGER !!!!

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:04 pm

If it's true, my comment is - "Christ"

Jockey
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:04 pm

No thanks.

He is a legend but with the names out of work, Buckley would be a very bad appointment IMHO

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:06 pm

much better option than Atkins imo.

Doffer
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:06 pm

:( Offer Here,

ITS TRUE.

He has been at the banks"s all day.

:( Offer

Jockey
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:08 pm

Duke wrote:much better option than Atkins imo.

Obviously, however Dave there are names out there that could do a better job.

At least Sir Alan Buckley knows league 2 inside out :(

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:09 pm

Who?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:10 pm

I have the same information as Doffer, Schofield's contract terminated, Buckley at The Banks's all day, press conference at 10am tomorrow.

My source has always proved totally reliable so far.

Looks reasonably conclusive, or why would Buckley have been there so long and a press conference announced?

andy22
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Ok it's Buckley but who's his assistant???

Jockey
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:14 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:I have the same information as Doffer, Schofield's contract terminated, Buckley at The Banks's all day, press conference at 10am tomorrow.

Looks reasonably conclusive, or why would Buckley have been there so long and a press conference announced?

what do you think of it Geoff, if it is Alan Buckley?? Obviously we are all going to welcome him with open arms but they say you should never go back in football and his record over the past few years has been appalling. Lets not let our love for the great one distract us away from his poor record recently.

WFCNIL

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:15 pm

My all time hero and the man who gave us some pride in the club.

And I cant help feeling he is on a hiding to nothing ?

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:16 pm

I could live with us appointing Buckley. It's playing to the gallery unashamedly on the part of the club - but a bit more of that at an earlier date would have done them more good than harm. I'd guess that AB's had his best days as a manager, but he's still better than Mullen (by a distance), he's familiar with the lower leagues, has a reputation for playing attractive attacking football and he's going to be given time by the fans. Who knows, he may even bring a few back from the cold.

Buckley as number two to Kelly might be the real dream scenario though (before anyone says it, I seriously doubt he'd be interested in leaving Forest so soon).
Last edited by Plastic Hawk on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

andy22 wrote:Ok it's Buckley but who's his assistant???

Major Buckley manager, and his son Alan as assistant I guess! :D

(That's one for the oldies I can tell yer!

Duke
Site Addict

Jockey wrote:
Duke wrote:much better option than Atkins imo.

Obviously, however Dave there are names out there that could do a better job.

At least Sir Alan Buckley knows league 2 inside out :(

Difficult one for me ,I worshiped Buckley as a player and manager for us .
The best football I've seen any Walsall team play was under Buckley , as a player he was a goalscoring machine.
I'll never forget what he achieved at Grimsby after he was sacked , that could and should have been us.

True he hasn't done much in recent years , but coming back to Walsall just might be his making and just the tonic WFC need .

Jockey
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:18 pm

Maybe AB has been there all day to talk about the number 2 position???

Young man in place as manager, Mark Kinsella, Martin O'connor, Dean Smith, Ada Viceash or David Kelly??

Just a thought

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:18 pm

andy22 wrote:Ok it's Buckley but who's his assistant???

Martin O'connor :idea:

andy22
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:20 pm

No i think it would be a good appointment and for the first time in ages i feel happy for the club. Ok it may be through rose tinted glass' but considering all the alternatives this is good news and by god do we need some. :D :D :D

s.o.t.v.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:23 pm

andy22 wrote:No i think it would be a good appointment and for the first time in ages i feel happy for the club. Ok it may be through rose tinted glass' but considering all the alternatives this is good news and by god do we need some. :D :D :D

100% agree with you now lets get behind the team and get some points on the board

UTS. :D

longdogs
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:23 pm

Can anyone name any examples of a manager returning to a previous team after 20 years and being successful?

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:24 pm

s.o.t.v. wrote:
andy22 wrote:No i think it would be a good appointment and for the first time in ages i feel happy for the club. Ok it may be through rose tinted glass' but considering all the alternatives this is good news and by god do we need some. :D :D :D

100% agree with you now lets get behind the team and get some points on the board

UTS. :D

now that would make a nice change . :D

womblesaddler

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:25 pm

longdogs wrote:Can anyone name any examples of a manager returning to a previous team after 20 years and being successful?

joe royle-everton as a player then man city as manager??
Last edited by womblesaddler on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy22
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:26 pm

Will the stayaways now return and support the lads? Ok we still have issues with Bonser but surely we can now get behind the lads?

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:27 pm

longdogs wrote:Can anyone name any examples of a manager returning to a previous team after 20 years and being successful?

There's a first time for everything.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:27 pm

Jockey wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:I have the same information as Doffer, Schofield's contract terminated, Buckley at The Banks's all day, press conference at 10am tomorrow.

what do you think of it Geoff, if it is Alan Buckley?? Obviously we are all going to welcome him with open arms but they say you should never go back in football and his record over the past few years has been appalling. Lets not let our love for the great one distract us away from his poor record recently.

Well it's mixed feelings for me mate to be honest, I really don't know what to expect now.

There's no doubt Buckley has been one of my Saddlers' heroes as a player, and as a manager we played some of the best and most pleasing football I have ever seen from any Walsall side, so on the one hand I can hardly say anything against him, but on the other hand it's been a long long time since those days.

What I do know for sure is that there is a chance I'll come back under Buckley, but there was NO chance if it had been Schofield or Atkins. Now the test is how much JB allows him to spend on team strengthening, and who knows I may be coming back to see how we do.

All I've ever wanted is ambition, effort and commitment from top to bottom of the club. Success is nice, but has never been crucial to me as long as we have those qualities evident throughout the club.

If it works out, I look forward to resuming my friendship with my beloved Chicken Balti Pies. :D

Jockey
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:31 pm

andy22 wrote:Will the stayaways now return and support the lads? Ok we still have issues with Bonser but surely we can now get behind the lads?

Whilst I may be tempted because how much he is loved, I just see this as yet another cheap appointment and his past will over cloud his recent record (which is appalling). I dare say Stuart Watiss will return as his number 2

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Alan Buckley is my all time Walsall hero both as a player and a manager. I was gutted when he was sacked last time.

The one thing I worry about is that if his record with other clubs has been a little haphazard.

He will however always be a true Walsall hero - and any young 'uns who bad-mouth him will be on the receiving end of some vitriolic comments from me!!!

Scooby
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:42 pm

I'm a stay-away but I will definitley come back if Buckley comes back because, although he may be cheap, he has one thing that can't be denied, PASSION FOR THE SADDLERS. If he makes me proud of my club again, and makes the players play in an attractive manner, then that will do for me. JB knows that an appointment like Buckley is a last chance saloon to get the fans back to Bescot. Let's hope he gets a decent assistant too (and a bit of cash!).

no d dosh

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:45 pm

what a joke and if anyone thinks he will be anything other than a failure is crazy! take away his name and you wouldnt give him the job

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:47 pm

A little haphazard? His recent record is atrocious. Just to compare him with Ian Atkins, who everybody is hammering.

Since 2001 -
Buckley, 1.14 points per game, 52/season, i.e. just about saved from relegation by 2/3 points
Atkins, 1.37 points per game, 63/season, i.e. fairly comfy mid table.

Buckley is on the back of 3 disastorous spells at Rochdale, Lincoln and Grimsby. His relationship with us goes back 25 years. Take off the rose tinted glasses will you... This team doesn't have a David Preece, Kevin Summerfield, Ian Handysides, Gary Childs, Peter Hart or Colin Brazier et al. If I've got a choice of the above, I'll take Atkins as I know he'll install balls, bottle and passion for a fight and his recent record is better.

I presume if it is Buckley, the assistant will be Stuart Watkiss as I think they were at Grimsby together. You've got to be 35+ to really remember Buckley as a player/manager properly, it seems like a half hearted attempt to please the fans.

If Bonser was going to sack an assistant and allow a new bloke to bring his own guy in, he is 5/6 months too late.

If I gave you Buckley's recent record and said this is who we're appointint, without giving a name, you wouldn't touch him with your worst enemys bargepole!!! What difference does 11 letters make?

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:48 pm

Scooby wrote: PASSION FOR THE SADDLERS. .

agreed ,another thing is all Buckleys teams get the ball down and play.

Next
Return to UTS Classics