Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

2009 : I wonder.....

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: 2009 : I wonder.....

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:23 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Cully wrote:KC Here's my brief thoughts on alter egos but without the smilies in the same way you have concluded.

As a moderator, you have access to IP addresses and of course your own forum where you can communicate with fellow Mods and Administrators information you may think exclusive. It matters not to me what you think you have deduced about my 'detections', it is clear your conclusions are just that and as such are no more valid or simple than mine. I wonder what other 'clear' conclusions you have been able to arrive at and by what process; thought transfer or mind reading?

This has turned out to be yet another thread about the misuse of this board by alter egos and as Saigon has so eloquently put, one the moderators may choose to dismiss as they verbally waft their way through thread after thread.

One wonders why we have threads like this, I know the answer, do you?

I'm sorry that I haven't got a smart or witty reply in this post but I would conclude that it is not unusual.

Many thanks for the reply. Saigon has suggested a wonderful way forward, by which (in a nutshell) the moderators have carte blanche to dispose of posters who post things that others don't like. Oh, so long as those unpleasantries aren't directed in a particular direction of course, as Claire Raynor has pointed out.

When should the decimation begin?

I hope your bath manages to ease out some of those knots you have got yourself into. :wink:

It's quite clear that the position of those who have commented is firmly against pseudo posters and not 'things that people don't like'. I know that I and anyone else can go and post on other sites as it's a comment that has been given before and is edging towards it again. I could, but then again I'd rather stay on this one and argue the toss, as is my right within the regulations. So I'm not going anywhere.

The reason why this issue comes up again and again, much to the obvious irritation of mods to varying degrees (see above)is because it is unsatisfactory. It is highly unsatisfactory for anyone to hide behind a collection of usernames and attack individuals. Some people may post neutral and amusing nonsense under a false name but that is not an issue. I don't think it's that difficult for some of the very clever people acting in a mod capacity to distinguish the difference and act in an appropriate way.

Posters who are using a false name to attack others is wrong and should be addressed, not because it amuses me or makes me feel important, or gives me a sense of ownership or for any other reason. These people are real and should be protected from repeated and persistant attack from unknown users posting under a false name.

I am in no way attacking individuals who have chosen to mod the site, but it was your choice. I also feel that those in this capacity have no more right to judge the progression of particular instances as anyone else. The only difference is that they are in a position to do so.

I hope this is received in the way it is intended, a inclusive dialogue rather than any threat to power or ego.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:25 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Cully wrote:KC Here's my brief thoughts on alter egos but without the smilies in the same way you have concluded.

As a moderator, you have access to IP addresses and of course your own forum where you can communicate with fellow Mods and Administrators information you may think exclusive. It matters not to me what you think you have deduced about my 'detections', it is clear your conclusions are just that and as such are no more valid or simple than mine. I wonder what other 'clear' conclusions you have been able to arrive at and by what process; thought transfer or mind reading?

This has turned out to be yet another thread about the misuse of this board by alter egos and as Saigon has so eloquently put, one the moderators may choose to dismiss as they verbally waft their way through thread after thread.

I'm sorry that I haven't got a smart or witty reply in this post but I would conclude that it is not unusual.

Many thanks for the reply. Saigon has suggested a wonderful way forward, by which (in a nutshell) the moderators have carte blanche to dispose of posters who post things that others don't like. Oh, so long as those unpleasantries aren't directed in a particular direction of course, as Claire Raynor has pointed out.

I hope your bath manages to ease out some of those knots you have got yourself into. :wink:

You certainly have a lot to say on this thread dont you.....

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Another thing.
When you open an account dont you have to have an email address?
Now it would be interesting t see what lengths a friend of a mod would go to in order to get a few more names under his belt.....

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:38 pm

I am not sure what is worse; the way we are all prancing round with our chests puffed out like king-of-the-roust or the level of paranoia being expressed

Silly, silly thread in which the people who have actually been upset by posts are not even getting a chance to voice their opinions because of all the axe-grinding going on.

Oh ... and as I am not the poster Claire Raynor I will take it as read that an apology to me as a poster has been offered - I accept it and it was not even necessary to offer it actually, we all make mistakes :P

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Agree, cyclo.

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Another thing.
When you open an account dont you have to have an email address?
Now it would be interesting t see what lengths a friend of a mod would go to in order to get a few more names under his belt.....

Like create a hotmail account for the purpose? Or an AOL account if that's your provider? or use mailinator?

Impossible to police, unfortunately, especially on the AOL front. If we ban an AOL ISP, we're inconveniencing not just one offender but all users, as they may periodically be assigned the banned IP address at random. Likewise any other provider (especially the main Midlands ones). We ban by name alone because of this. Sure, that's not perfect, but it's the best solution we've found.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:57 pm

cyclothymic wrote:I am not sure what is worse; the way we are all prancing round with our chests puffed out like king-of-the-roust or the level of paranoia being expressed

Silly, silly thread in which the people who have actually been upset by posts are not even getting a chance to voice their opinions because of all the axe-grinding going on.
Oh ... and as I am not the poster Claire Raynor I will take it as read that an apology to me as a poster has been offered - I accept it and it was not even necessary to offer it actually, we all make mistakes :P

I think you'll find that at least one of them has.

Kiansmom wrote:The problem I have is when Fred was banned we were told as soon as it was obvious of his come back under a new name he would be banned again. Of course that didn't happen and it's been left to build up again. I and I'm sure others have seen his comments towards Cully which to me is harrasment but still nothing is done. I still have the pms in my inbox from Fred apologising for taking things to far last time, some apology when it continues now. My gripe is say what you want about me but have the guts to do it under a proper name not some hidden username, or even better face to face but we all know that wont happen as those people are just keybard warriors. What annoys me even more is having a pop at my kids, you have to be a real man to do that don't you? especially when you are the father of kids yourself.Personally I would be horrified if I thought someone like this sicko was in charge of anything to do with my kids, oh well at the end of the day you can't hide forever and will have to accept the consequences for your actions when it does all come out as it eventually will, Google bot realised that too late!

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Fair point Willy Nilly ... I stand corrected.

One post out of 125 though!,

whist most people argue about the merits and de-merits of the Mods and Admin who give their time for free to allow UTS to exist (anyone who witnessed the 'alternative' UTS site will have seen how badly wrong things go without Mods or Admin doing their job).

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:16 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

You certainly have a lot to say on this thread dont you.....

With over 12000 posts, I have a lot to say about a lot of things. You're hardly a shrinking violet yourself, Sheff. I always try to post in a reasonable way and answer questions as honestly as I can, all the time aware that courtesy costs nothing, insults say more about the author than the recipient, and that 'jaw, jaw' is much better than 'war, war'. To that end, I try to read the substance of the post rather than attempt to decipher hidden agenda, ulterior motives or make assumptions that I cannot back up with evidence.

As I say, that's what I try to do.

Enjoy the darts? I don't watch it myself, but I happened to catch about ten minutes and thought the sheer consistency of both players was admirable. Both averaging well over 100 is terrific. I'm sure you're pleased with the result.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:32 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:It's quite clear that the position of those who have commented is firmly against pseudo posters and not 'things that people don't like'. I know that I and anyone else can go and post on other sites as it's a comment that has been given before and is edging towards it again. I could, but then again I'd rather stay on this one and argue the toss, as is my right within the regulations. So I'm not going anywhere.

The reason why this issue comes up again and again, much to the obvious irritation of mods to varying degrees (see above)is because it is unsatisfactory. It is highly unsatisfactory for anyone to hide behind a collection of usernames and attack individuals. Some people may post neutral and amusing nonsense under a false name but that is not an issue. I don't think it's that difficult for some of the very clever people acting in a mod capacity to distinguish the difference and act in an appropriate way.

Posters who are using a false name to attack others is wrong and should be addressed, not because it amuses me or makes me feel important, or gives me a sense of ownership or for any other reason. These people are real and should be protected from repeated and persistant attack from unknown users posting under a false name.

I am in no way attacking individuals who have chosen to mod the site, but it was your choice. I also feel that those in this capacity have no more right to judge the progression of particular instances as anyone else. The only difference is that they are in a position to do so.

I hope this is received in the way it is intended, a inclusive dialogue rather than any threat to power or ego.

Your posts are always well received on my part, SS. And I'll always try and answer them with similar thought to that with which they were crafted. I would like to think I did the same with WN's post before I lost the will to live (on about page 3 of this thread).

I think I must be on several people's 'Foes Lists' because I've asked some pretty simple questions that no one has chosen to or been able to answer. What was it about Claire Raynor's post that would merit a ban? She doesn't post much, she has a 'style' (like 'Merson Out Man' and a variety of other 'themed users'), but the post was an opinion. Does the manner in which she expressed it make it less valid, and more open to deletion than if, say, Sheff had (who, like Claire Raynor, I've also never met) or you (who I very briefly have met)? Where does one draw the line? How many posts does it take to become worthy of consideration? We've also made an assumption that Claire Raynor is an alter ego rather than a 'one name only' poster.

I chose to be a moderator because I'm on here a lot and I think, by and large, I tidy up quotes, move threads, lock topics etc. without too much trouble. There are several posters on this thread who will glibly throw the 'abuse of powers' card on the table if an unpleasant thread is locked, a libellous post deleted or a user warned. What you suggest is that we go beyond the current AUP - essentially extending the powers some are so watchful of - and that's something for the site owner and him alone to deliberate over. I don't have alter-egos - so a UTS without them wouldn't bother me personally too much, but others do and value them for a range of reasons. Like so much on here, they can be a source for the good ('reliable sauce' and 'Merson Out Man' springs to mind), the bad and the ugly. Oh, and as Exile has pointed out, stopping them is almost impossible.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks for the intelligent response KC.

It answers some of the questions and issues.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:58 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Thanks for the intelligent response KC.

It answers some of the questions and issues.

Always a pleasure.

Is UTS perfect? No. Are mods/admin perfect? No. Are the 2000+ posters perfect? Mostly not (although Rick Flair comes closest. I miss him: WOOOOOOO!!!). :D

I actually care a lot about this site, and whilst I tend to avoid meet-ups, get-togethers, shin-digs and brass rubbings parties, I quite like most of the posters on here too. I know Exile says this ain't no love-in, and he's right, but in my own naive way I think it would be great if people could get along.

[Nostalgic mode]Remember when we 'crossed the finishing line' for our 5000th posts together? Those were the days.[/Nostalgic mode]

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:02 pm

cyclothymic wrote:Fair point Willy Nilly ... I stand corrected.

whist most people argue about the merits and de-merits of the Mods and Admin who give their time for free to allow UTS to exist (anyone who witnessed the 'alternative' UTS site will have seen how badly wrong things go without Mods or Admin doing their job).

On this thread, maybe, but this thread has evolved into more than just a 'who's been upset' thread, so 1/125 is an unfair assessment.

Although, even just one person upset, targetted and belittled, by way of alluding to their housing, or their (or their children's) meals, or picked on in any other way, by an ANONYMOUS poster is, surely, one too many?

Is it not?

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:12 pm

Willy Nilly wrote:
cyclothymic wrote:Fair point Willy Nilly ... I stand corrected.

On this thread, maybe, but this thread has evolved into more than just a 'who's been upset' thread, so 1/125 is an unfair assessment.

Although, even just one person upset, targetted and belittled, by way of alluding to their housing, or their (or their children's) meals, or picked on in any other way, by an ANONYMOUS poster is, surely, one too many?

Is it not?

It is Willy Nilly, it is. A point I have raised both on the board and in PMs.

There is a difficulty in pitching posts at an appropraite level - Cully repeatedly derides both my job and my liberal attitude to life. I am OK with that but he did not know that when he did it. The important thing is that when a person realises they have mis-judged something or gone to far they a) say sorry and b) stop.

There is a whole lot of 'picking on' that is OK on UTS because both parties see it as a sort of tennis game - it would be a shame to lose this banter, but peoples' feelings also matter.

Wendy Mumford
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:45 pm

Cully wrote:What a wonderful use of the board for the start of the new year by our very own Resident Board Pervert. Always satisfyingly living up to the unwanted reputation he wears with such honour.

Let's have a little resume for the benefit of those board members who have not encountered this revolting little internet weirdo and his habits.

He posts under a number of alter egos from different IP addresses.
He always hides his current board status when on line.
He has posted a number of links to adult sites.
He is homophobic and constantly reinforces his views and predudices through his posts.
He has been banned from the board on at least four occasions always reappearing under a different user name some weeks later.
He has abused, stalked and bullied various female members of this board and continues to do so.
He has been responsible for female members withdrawing from discussions and posting on the board.
He always reverts to type by posting his preferred perversions and has been responsible for the locking and subsequent deletion of threads by the moderators.
He is responsible for creating numerous additional and unnecessary work by the moderators in removing his extraneous, abusive and perverted posts.
It matters not to him that minors read this message board and has repeatedly introduced his own perculiar sexual innuendos whenever the occasion presents itself.
His pattern of posting follows now familiar phases and will be recognised by any of our board members who can remember their own name.
More worryingly he has posted about children he supervises under the pretext of 'football coaching'. I wonder whether their parents know about his perverted ways not only on this board but I'm sure on many others.
He is terrified of being recognised by fellow members of this board and is frightened to meet posters who he has abused in one form or another.

The internet allows such weirdos to post anonymously and without entering the world of psycho babble I am not surprised that he continues to flourish in this environment with the support of his 'fan club'.

His comment about stalking is particularily relavent in my case, a little research of his posts will find that he would appear to be obsessed in following me around the board on all forums but lacking the wit to understand the consequences of his actions. As a word of warning to anyone about his stalking behaviour, he discovered my Email address, I know not how in order to continue his rather unpleasant ways and has also stalked my sons who attend matches with me, posting comments about them on the board in the naive opinion that he will never have to meet them.

I'm sure he is looking forward to being 'outed' :D

CULLY!!!! let me correct you on a couple of points regarding the above statement!!!

He posts under a number of alter egos from different IP addresses - WRONG - I post under one name, wendy mumford. My IP address changes on a daily basis. This is due to the fact when the other half is vacuuming the house, she unplugs the wireless router in the hallway. Everytime the router is unpluged for 30 seconds and plugged back in, the IP address changes. This I am aware of as a pop up box in firefox tells me, the next time I log on.

He always hides his current board status when on line - CORRECT - Where the option exists to hide my online status, I choose it. As do many other users and a few mods too. What's the crime in that?

He has posted a number of links to adult sites
- CORRECT - I have done in the past. Can't remember the last time I did. Perhaps you could remind me, as you tend to keeps tabs on people.

He has abused, stalked and bullied various female members of this board and continues to do so - WRONG - I wouldn't say any of these three. Stalked, that's your job. Abused and bullied? If you class having a sarcastic dig at somebody ala school playground style, then HANDS UP. GUILTY!!!

He always reverts to type by posting his preferred perversions and has been responsible for the locking and subsequent deletion of threads by the moderators. MMMMMMMMMmmmm!!! Not the only one on here to do so. I don't keep on expressing my perversions of asian girls and posting pics of their disease covered genitalia!! Like some posters do!!

He has been responsible for female members withdrawing from discussions and posting on the board. Your point being?

It matters not to him that minors read this message board and has repeatedly introduced his own perculiar sexual innuendos whenever the occasion presents itself.
- See the answer 2 above.

He is responsible for creating numerous additional and unnecessary work by the moderators in removing his extraneous, abusive and perverted posts. - CORRECT - Got to keep the mods busy and on their toes, as complacency creeps in.

More worryingly he has posted about children he supervises under the pretext of 'football coaching'. I wonder whether their parents know about his perverted ways not only on this board but I'm sure on many others. - WRONG WRONG WRONG - I do not, and never have worked with or supervised children. I have never coached football or indeed any sport to anyone. FACT, my football skills and on par with a women!!! - So if I've never worked, supervised, or coached children, how have I ever posted about any children I have never supervised?

He is homophobic and constantly reinforces his views and predudices through his posts. - WRONG - I am NOT homophobic. Infact, one of my good mates is a shirt lifter!

His comment about stalking is particularily relavent in my case, a little research of his posts will find that he would appear to be obsessed in following me around the board on all forums but lacking the wit to understand the consequences of his actions. As a word of warning to anyone about his stalking behaviour, he discovered my Email address, I know not how in order to continue his rather unpleasant ways and has also stalked my sons who attend matches with me, posting comments about them on the board in the naive opinion that he will never have to meet them. - WRONG - I've got better things to do by following you around on the forums. The fact that you choose to show your online status, lets anyone on here know your logged on, and what forum your in. Regarding your email address that you don't know how I got hold of, YOU CHOSE TO DISPLAY IT IN YOUR PROFILE. - I Don't even know what you look likem or infact that you have 2 sons, so how can I have ever stalked you and your sons at the matches? I don't sit in the peasant section, so I would never bump into you. And the only reason I Knew you had a least one son with ginger hair, is because he chose to post pictures of himself in the forums when he was younger.

You see Cully. The reason I choose to hide my online status and post using a ficticious name, is to prevent my personal details being seen by billions of people all over the world.
I can't understand for the life of me why people post pictures and personal details of themselves and the family on forums, and sites such a facebook. Why would anyone want to post pictures of there beloved wife and children all over the world? You might as well stick a big neon sign on top of your house saying, "NOT IN. DOOR OPEN. PLEASE HELP YOURSELF TO MY PERSONAL BELONGINGS".

And Finally, Mr Cully! The Stalker jibes would have stopped if you hadn't biten and calle me a pervert at every available oppertunity.
If it makes you feel any better, and after all it IS a new year, why not get off to a better start. I'll appologise now for calling you a stalker. It's got a tad boring and predictable now anyway. I'll stop, if you do!!!!

Happy new year to cully and everyone on these boards. I'm a year older now, and perhaps a year wiser. Here's to a better start to the year!!

Lots of love

Wendy Mumford (mrs)

x x x x x x x

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:08 pm

Wendy Mumford wrote:
Cully wrote:What a wonderful use of the board for the start of the new year by our very own Resident Board Pervert. Always satisfyingly living up to the unwanted reputation he wears with such honour.

Let's have a little resume for the benefit of those board members who have not encountered this revolting little internet weirdo and his habits.

He posts under a number of alter egos from different IP addresses.
He always hides his current board status when on line.
He has posted a number of links to adult sites.
He is homophobic and constantly reinforces his views and predudices through his posts.
He has been banned from the board on at least four occasions always reappearing under a different user name some weeks later.
He has abused, stalked and bullied various female members of this board and continues to do so.
He has been responsible for female members withdrawing from discussions and posting on the board.
He always reverts to type by posting his preferred perversions and has been responsible for the locking and subsequent deletion of threads by the moderators.
He is responsible for creating numerous additional and unnecessary work by the moderators in removing his extraneous, abusive and perverted posts.
His pattern of posting follows now familiar phases and will be recognised by any of our board members who can remember their own name.
More worryingly he has posted about children he supervises under the pretext of 'football coaching'. I wonder whether their parents know about his perverted ways not only on this board but I'm sure on many others.
He is terrified of being recognised by fellow members of this board and is frightened to meet posters who he has abused in one form or another.

The internet allows such weirdos to post anonymously and without entering the world of psycho babble I am not surprised that he continues to flourish in this environment with the support of his 'fan club'.

His comment about stalking is particularily relavent in my case, a little research of his posts will find that he would appear to be obsessed in following me around the board on all forums but lacking the wit to understand the consequences of his actions. As a word of warning to anyone about his stalking behaviour, he discovered my Email address, I know not how in order to continue his rather unpleasant ways and has also stalked my sons who attend matches with me, posting comments about them on the board in the naive opinion that he will never have to meet them.

I'm sure he is looking forward to being 'outed' :D

CULLY!!!! let me correct you on a couple of points regarding the above statement!!!

He posts under a number of alter egos from different IP addresses - WRONG - I post under one name, wendy mumford. My IP address changes on a daily basis. This is due to the fact when the other half is vacuuming the house, she unplugs the wireless router in the hallway. Everytime the router is unpluged for 30 seconds and plugged back in, the IP address changes. This I am aware of as a pop up box in firefox tells me, the next time I log on.

He always hides his current board status when on line - CORRECT - Where the option exists to hide my online status, I choose it. As do many other users and a few mods too. What's the crime in that?

He has posted a number of links to adult sites
- CORRECT - I have done in the past. Can't remember the last time I did. Perhaps you could remind me, as you tend to keeps tabs on people.

He has abused, stalked and bullied various female members of this board and continues to do so - WRONG - I wouldn't say any of these three. Stalked, that's your job. Abused and bullied? If you class having a sarcastic dig at somebody ala school playground style, then HANDS UP. GUILTY!!!

He always reverts to type by posting his preferred perversions and has been responsible for the locking and subsequent deletion of threads by the moderators. MMMMMMMMMmmmm!!! Not the only one on here to do so. I don't keep on expressing my perversions of asian girls and posting pics of their disease covered genitalia!! Like some posters do!!

He has been responsible for female members withdrawing from discussions and posting on the board. Your point being?

- See the answer 2 above.

He is responsible for creating numerous additional and unnecessary work by the moderators in removing his extraneous, abusive and perverted posts. - CORRECT - Got to keep the mods busy and on their toes, as complacency creeps in.

More worryingly he has posted about children he supervises under the pretext of 'football coaching'. I wonder whether their parents know about his perverted ways not only on this board but I'm sure on many others. - WRONG WRONG WRONG - I do not, and never have worked with or supervised children. I have never coached football or indeed any sport to anyone. FACT, my football skills and on par with a women!!! - So if I've never worked, supervised, or coached children, how have I ever posted about any children I have never supervised?

He is homophobic and constantly reinforces his views and predudices through his posts. - WRONG - I am NOT homophobic. Infact, one of my good mates is a shirt lifter!

His comment about stalking is particularily relavent in my case, a little research of his posts will find that he would appear to be obsessed in following me around the board on all forums but lacking the wit to understand the consequences of his actions. As a word of warning to anyone about his stalking behaviour, he discovered my Email address, I know not how in order to continue his rather unpleasant ways and has also stalked my sons who attend matches with me, posting comments about them on the board in the naive opinion that he will never have to meet them. - WRONG - I've got better things to do by following you around on the forums. The fact that you choose to show your online status, lets anyone on here know your logged on, and what forum your in. Regarding your email address that you don't know how I got hold of, YOU CHOSE TO DISPLAY IT IN YOUR PROFILE. - I Don't even know what you look likem or infact that you have 2 sons, so how can I have ever stalked you and your sons at the matches? I don't sit in the peasant section, so I would never bump into you. And the only reason I Knew you had a least one son with ginger hair, is because he chose to post pictures of himself in the forums when he was younger.

You see Cully. The reason I choose to hide my online status and post using a ficticious name, is to prevent my personal details being seen by billions of people all over the world.
I can't understand for the life of me why people post pictures and personal details of themselves and the family on forums, and sites such a facebook. Why would anyone want to post pictures of there beloved wife and children all over the world? You might as well stick a big neon sign on top of your house saying, "NOT IN. DOOR OPEN. PLEASE HELP YOURSELF TO MY PERSONAL BELONGINGS".

And Finally, Mr Cully! The Stalker jibes would have stopped if you hadn't biten and calle me a pervert at every available oppertunity.
If it makes you feel any better, and after all it IS a new year, why not get off to a better start. I'll appologise now for calling you a stalker. It's got a tad boring and predictable now anyway. I'll stop, if you do!!!!

Happy new year to cully and everyone on these boards. I'm a year older now, and perhaps a year wiser. Here's to a better start to the year!!

Lots of love

Wendy Mumford (mrs)

x x x x x x x

Now I know who you are!
Amazing what that post says about a certain person who comes onto this board under another name!
And who posts quite regular as well, in fact very regular.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:12 pm

Well ... I guess the disecting kits are out, tweezers in hand, scalples sharpened ...

Here we go ... :roll:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:19 pm

cyclothymic wrote:Well ... I guess the disecting kits are out, tweezers in hand, scalples sharpened ...

Here we go ... :roll:

One thing you learn in life.
You always get what you deserve in the end.
FACT!
Now another thing you learn in life.
There comes a day when you are trying to be someone you are not.
You drop yourself in it!
And Wendy as alright!!!!
:wink:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:57 pm

Sheff ... I really cannot follow that last post - one of us (more probably both of us) has drunk too much red wine.

I am quite surprised at 'Wendy's' response as it is somewhat out of character - it is also going to be difficult to argue with, hence my disection comments.

Wouldn't it be so much better to actually post what we want to say rather than via analogies and 'between the lines stuff'?

So:

I know you are not Wendy and I know you do not know who Wendy is

I know I am not Wendy and I know I do not know who Wendy is

I sometimes find Wendy funny and I sometimes find Wendy offensive

I sometimes find you funny and I sometimes (rarely though) find you offensive

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:01 am

cyclothymic wrote:Sheff ... I really cannot follow that last post - one of us (more probably both of us) has drunk too much red wine.

I am quite surprised at 'Wendy's' response as it is somewhat out of character - it is also going to be difficult to argue with, hence my disection comments.

Wouldn't it be so much better to actually post what we want to say rather than via analogies and 'between the lines stuff'?

So:

But I now know who Wendy is......

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:11 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
cyclothymic wrote:Sheff ... I really cannot follow that last post - one of us (more probably both of us) has drunk too much red wine.

So:

You see - this honesty thing!

It involves you now posting who Wendy is.

That will take away any power 'Wendy' has ... you will sort out the problem here and now.

I am not calling you out or trying to start anything ... just, post who it is and stop all of this so we can have our UTS back

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:13 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

So:

So do I, and a lot of things fall into place now

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:15 am

Well stop all this game playing and post it

Once you do then UTS can go back to what it was

Kiansmom, Sheff - come on. Don't cover them up. Tell us.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:17 am

cyclothymic wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

So:

You see - this honesty thing!

It involves you now posting who Wendy is.

That will take away any power 'Wendy' has ... you will sort out the problem here and now.

I am not calling you out or trying to start anything ... just, post who it is and stop all of this so we can have our UTS back

But you miss the point.
If I post who Wendy is, any power I currently have will be gone.......

I will wait for the mods to take that step before myself, who is currently in a very very good position!!!!!!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:19 am

Wendy Mumford wrote:More worryingly he has posted about children he supervises under the pretext of 'football coaching'. I wonder whether their parents know about his perverted ways not only on this board but I'm sure on many others.[/i] - WRONG WRONG WRONG - I do not, and never have worked with or supervised children. I have never coached football or indeed any sport to anyone. FACT, my football skills are on par with a woman!!! - So if I've never worked, supervised, or coached children, how have I ever posted about any children I have never supervised?

I think that Cully may have made a genuine mistake here, confusing you with the official UTS expert on seagulls, Big Baz 1. He (Big Baz 1) DOES coach children in football. He, however, has NOT been accused of being a pervert, I hasten to add!

MOSOC

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:25 am

Right - just to get this off my chest then.

Cheesebag (Carl) is one of my best mates on UTS and one of my best mates off UTS too.

He (and Mrs Cheese) took loads and loads of very personal stick (repeatedly, personally and relating to their family as well as them) on this board from people who said he/she knew who Wendy (then known as Claypole) was and would not post the name.

Now - suddenly - it is OK for other posters to keep the same secret and not post it?

If it was so wrong for Cheesebag to keep the identity secret then it is also wrong for the posters above, who have stated they know who Wendy is, to keep it secret. Anything else would not only appear hypocrytical but would also be detrimental to UTS social harmony.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:39 am

cyclothymic wrote:Right - just to get this off my chest then.

Cheesebag (Carl) is one of my best mates on UTS and one of my best mates off UTS too.

He (and Mrs Cheese) took loads and loads of very personal stick (repeatedly, personally and relating to their family as well as them) on this board from people who said he/she knew who Wendy (then known as Claypole) was and would not post the name.

Now - suddenly - it is OK for other posters to keep the same secret and not post it?

If it was so wrong for Cheesebag to keep the identity secret then it is also wrong for the posters above, who have stated they know who Wendy is, to keep it secret. Anything else would not only appear hypocrytical but would also be detrimental to UTS social harmony.

To be totally honest after what I've discovered I am past caring about the social harmony on here now, I'm grateful for all the good friends I have met on here. Am much happier to interact with my Walsall mates on Facebook and that's where I will be going from now on.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:40 am

Can I just state that having read my last post I am somewhat ashamed of the silly last three words - I know what i was trying to say, but 'UTS Social Harmony' sounds like some silly socialist-interlectual ideal that never gets off the page. Lets replace it with 'UTS we enjoy'

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:43 am

Kiansmom wrote:

To be totally honest after what I've discovered I am past caring about the social harmony on here now, I'm grateful for all the good friends I have met on here. Am much happier to interact with my Walsall mates on Facebook and that's where I will be going from now on.

Well ... we are still Facebook friends. Hope you are happy to keep it that way :?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:01 am

King Crimson wrote:Are mods/admin perfect? No.

Come on now Crimsy, we all know there's an exception to your little rule. :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:02 am

Too true, cyclo. If it suits certain people then the knives come out. When it doesn't then there's all sorts of threads about it.

I do not understand what the problem is to be honest - this is nothing but a virtual meeting place for all sorts of people, so it's guaranteed that some don't get on. My problem as a mod is that I have to draw imaginary lines every day as to what is and is not acceptable, and I do not appreciate my free moderation of this forum being dissected according to anyone else's whim as to how it "ought" to proceed. I and my fellow mods operate within parameters, not as gods.

Some people are obnoxious. True. Some people are targets. True. Some people will try to moderate. True. Nobody will ever be satisfied. True.

If I can digress to the 1/125 post referred to earlier, I'll repeat the post below then refer to it beneath...

Kiansmom wrote:The problem I have is when Fred was banned we were told as soon as it was obvious of his come back under a new name he would be banned again. Of course that didn't happen and it's been left to build up again. I and I'm sure others have seen his comments towards Cully which to me is harrasment but still nothing is done. I still have the pms in my inbox from Fred apologising for taking things to far last time, some apology when it continues now. My gripe is say what you want about me but have the guts to do it under a proper name not some hidden username, or even better face to face but we all know that wont happen as those people are just keybard warriors. What annoys me even more is having a pop at my kids, you have to be a real man to do that don't you? especially when you are the father of kids yourself.Personally I would be horrified if I thought someone like this sicko was in charge of anything to do with my kids, oh well at the end of the day you can't hide forever and will have to accept the consequences for your actions when it does all come out as it eventually will, Google bot realised that too late!

I note that kiansmom was unhappy with various things said by another poster. It's fine that this complaint is laid in a public arena, certainly, and moderators will never hide from anything like that, but the substance is lacking, sadly.

The problem with "fred's" comeback was that nobody was ever told that he'd be permanently banned, although the username has been. If an obvious poster turned up in the same format the same day they'd also be biffed very quickly, which is the way mods have always handled this, given our limitations on any permanent banning. The 'new' Fred replacement has arrived, as is the case with many other banned posters (stonnall, northern, diddy, yga, etc) and insinuated themselves into the community slowly and without issue. We hope, as mods, that this has been managed within expectations so "new" posters continue to prove to be positive members of the UTS community, albeit that they won't ever please everybody. As an aside I'll add that no poster on here can possibly like every other poster, so it's a question of managing reality, not a perfect world, that us moderators and admin have to operate in. Sometimes posters won't like what we have to do, which (primarily) is to allow freedom of expression in a very liberal format to as many people as possible.

The alternate username thing has been done to death. "Fred" (or Wendy, or Timothy, etc...) is NOT an alternate user, or an alter ego to the best of the knowledge available to mods/admin, so to try to argue two sides of a differrent coin (Lets's ban alter egos vs Let's ban anyone we don't like vs Let's ban alternate usernames we think exist) falls over.

kiansmom mentions that her kids have been bought into abuse, but a check on active posts on behalf of 'wendy' [sic] reveals no such complaint. Naturally, such a comment may have 'aged' and therefore dropped of the back of the board (after two/three months or more, depending on forum), but a screen shot of the comment will do if this complaint needs to be made formal so long after the fact. Nothing was said at the time to moderators, so how can we retrospectively judge something that doesn't now exist? How long can anyone hold a grudge? I guess the answer is 'as long as it suits them'.

Finally, I think kiansmom's post would carry considerably more weight had it not degenerated into a pop at perceived attributes regarding fatherhood followed by a veiled threat. I don't know kiansmom, and that's certainly not her real name. Does that mean that as a moderator I have to give more weight to her postings compared to the poster 'Claire Raynor', who at least might be using a real name? I don't know, and nor do I really care to be honest.

As mod and admin, I'm here to decide what's acceptable on the board, not necessarily judge who posts it, unless they f*** up monumentally, in which case they'll know about it very quickly.

In the case of willy nilly's complaint about a post in the marketplace section, I'd add that apparently only he took umbrage at that, as nobody else was mentioned, and nobody else complained. If people seek displeasure in everything they read, then that is one thing they'll surely find.

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics