Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Euro 2008

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
SWS1

Re: Euro 2008

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:44 pm

SWS1 wrote:Is it just me

or does anybody else think Germany are always that bit lucky? Or are they just efficient because they can convert the few chances they get? Yesterday, they had fewer of all the match stats against Portugal (except fouls, where they committed more) were played off the park for long periods, but still got 3 goals.
I like to see Germany lose (just sour grapes I admit :( ) because they always seem to win everything and they always beat England on penalties :( (unless we are lucky enough to get, say, a Polish or Dutch ref, one Chechnyan linesman and - most important - one Russina linesman :mrgreen: ).
I'm supporting the Nederlands from now on. It's something to take my mind off the (lack of meanigful) action at Bescot while my "local" team rise from bankrupt-down-and-almost-out to the Chumpionship in less than 10 years.

No. It's not just me. The lucky boogers just played second fiddle to a spunky Turkish side and then nicked it in the last minute. Typical. I just hope they get hammered in the final. Cocky people.

[modded - language]

shane.ward.fan
Resident Idiot

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:46 pm

I am now Spanish.

Call me Senor Shanyne

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:50 pm

shane.ward.fan wrote:I am now Spanish.

Call me Senor Shanyne

Yow still cor spell Shayne.

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:52 pm

SWS1 wrote:
SWS1 wrote:Is it just me

or does anybody else think Germany are always that bit lucky? Or are they just efficient because they can convert the few chances they get? Yesterday, they had fewer of all the match stats against Portugal (except fouls, where they committed more) were played off the park for long periods, but still got 3 goals.
I like to see Germany lose (just sour grapes I admit :( ) because they always seem to win everything and they always beat England on penalties :( (unless we are lucky enough to get, say, a Polish or Dutch ref, one Chechnyan linesman and - most important - one Russina linesman :mrgreen: ).
I'm supporting the Nederlands from now on. It's something to take my mind off the (lack of meanigful) action at Bescot while my "local" team rise from bankrupt-down-and-almost-out to the Chumpionship in less than 10 years.

No. It's not just me. The luckytypes just played second fiddle to a spunky Turkish side and then nicked it in the last minute. Typical. I just hope they get hammered in the final. Cocky types.

Just goes to show you can be lucky in sport but not in wars :lol:

shane.ward.fan
Resident Idiot

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:57 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:

Call me Senor Shanyne

Yow still cor spell Shayne.

Testing aint i ! I knew that :oops:

I might give up and just call myself Will Young :mrgreen:

SWS1

Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Having watched the majority of the Portugal v Germany game, I must say that I was impressed with the sheer level of footballing skills shown by both sides. Lots of good passing movements, ball control, first touches etc.

So why, oh why, do so many of these top players resort to blatant cheating? And isn't it high time that the "third referee" (the guy with access to action replay TV, slow-motion, whatever) was given the power to adjudge what was really happening on the field and make refereeing decisions accordingly? We already have it in cricket, when run-outs are decided in the pavilion.

Out of many examples from tonight's game - certainly Ballack's goal, where he was only able to head the ball as well as he did because he had pushed the Portuguese defender out of the way first. Ronaldo, having been forced to the ground in a tackle, reacted as though he had been kicked to death, when the German player clearly leapt over him and no contact was made. This behaviour is a deliberate attempt to bring unwarranted punishment to a fellow-professional.

Or have we to accept that it's now part of the modern game, and I'm just living so far in the past as to be a dinosaur?

You are so right, Welshie. Hit them afterwards with bans or fines if necessary. A clearer case of bringing the game into disrepute you could hardly find.
While I'm in a lousy mood because the kra_utZ won again, can't the free kick rules be enforced so that on the award of a free kick the offending team actually does IMMEDIATELY retreat 10 yards or 9 metres? (Football rules, my emphasis). Why do we have to wait for the ref to show them 10 yards? OK, he might have to show or indicate the difference between 8 yards and 10 yards on occasion (provided the other team did not exercise their rights to this**) Why does the ref have to threaten the side taking the kick by waving his little whistle in the air and implying "I'm in charge. I'll tell you when you can take your 'advantage' ". **Why can't the offended against team take the kick whenever they want without some cheat running five yards to stand in front of the ball or the kicker or both or the ref removing any advantage of the swiftly taken kick? Why are players allowed to do this? I know there would have to be some checks and balances - like for example, if the team does try to take a "quickie", it would not be fair to penalise a player UNINTENTIONALLY being less than 10 yards away - provided the galoot didn't stick his foot up to prevent the kick being taken like they often do, completely unpenalised. And let's not allow the terds to pretend to be directing the wall while standing 2 feet in front of the ball. This sort of thing really infuriates me and the refs do seem to encourage the whole scenario. And another thing, how about some penalties for grappling? And the linesmen seem to get about 50% of the tight ones wrong (in both directions). And what is more ....
... hang on who are these geezers with white coats on?
No thanks. I'm quite comfortable here.
No! Take that jacket away, I'm too hot as it iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssss.......................

SWS1

Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:15 pm

Call me Senor Shanyne

I don't care who wins as long as it's not that team from just over the Channel, near to France, Belgium, Holland, Poland, Austria etc - you get the picture, I'm sure.

SWSone ski or Sancho SWS1

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:43 am

have to feel a little sorry for Turkey they played well last night , fair play to the Germans :twisted: fantastic winning goal.
as i said from the start i still fancy Spain to win it , the Russians will be tough to beat though.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:57 am

Duke wrote:have to feel a little sorry for Turkey

No you don't.
After their jammy comebacks in the last few matches i laughed so much when the Krauts gave them some of their own medicine. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:17 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:

No you don't.
After their jammy comebacks in the last few matches i laughed so much when the Krauts gave them some of their own medicine. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What he said.

Prefer Germany to Turkey any day of the week. Been to Germany and it's an awesome place. Turkey = full of poo poo heads.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:00 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:

No you don't.

Well, quite. Turkey have been outplayed for the majority of the match by Croatia, Austria and Czech Republic and when they turn in a half-decent performance, suddenly they're unlucky? No, sorry, that's absolute rot perpetuated by the imbecilic BBC pundits who have had their knives out for the Germans since the start of the tournament. No doubt they will be the evil enemy in the final, whether they are up against David Villa or Andriy Arshavin (who are the only players the TV 'experts' have heard of from Spain or Russia). If Germany win, can we expect any comments bar 'never write off the Germans' or 'typical German efficiency'? Didn't think so. By the way, the Germans are now the (joint) top scorers in the tournament.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:40 pm

On a more general point, what a joy Euro 2008 has been. Better than the non competitive cartel that is the Champions league and the Premiership.

And, as if that is not enough, we don't have to put up with the self serving hype dished out by the likes of Sky telling us that every game is fantastic if it quite clearly is'nt [although most matches have been good upwards IMO].

Thanks Euro 2008 for reminding me what a genuine competitive tournament is like.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:42 pm

Hope the Krauts go on and win the whole thing now! :mrgreen:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:58 pm

BathSaddler wrote:On a more general point, what a joy Euro 2008 has been. Better than the non competitive cartel that is the Champions league and the Premiership.

And, as if that is not enough, we don't have to put up with the self serving hype dished out by the likes of Sky telling us that every game is fantastic if it quite clearly is'nt [although most matches have been good upwards IMO].

Thanks Euro 2008 for reminding me what a genuine competitive tournament is like.

No - instead we get the BBC - both on TV and radio - trying (for some reason known only to themselves) to insist that every game is rubbish - even though the general quality has been good. They also seem to be under the impression that pretty much all the teams are weak too. :? :?

Given the choice, I'd rather have Sky's hype than BBC's negativity. Both are gross distortions of reality, but at least talking things up might put a smile on people's face.

ITV, meanwhile, seem to have decided to spend every free second trying to make cheap points (mostly incorrect) related to van Nisterooy's goal against Italy. For goodness sake guys - it was two weeks ago! Just let it go.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:49 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:On a more general point, what a joy Euro 2008 has been. Better than the non competitive cartel that is the Champions league and the Premiership.

No - instead we get the BBC - both on TV and radio - trying (for some reason known only to themselves) to insist that every game is rubbish - even though the general quality has been good. They also seem to be under the impression that pretty much all the teams are weak too. :? :?

Given the choice, I'd rather have Sky's hype than BBC's negativity. Both are gross distortions of reality, but at least talking things up might put a smile on people's face.

ITV, meanwhile, seem to have decided to spend every free second trying to make cheap points (mostly incorrect) related to van Nisterooy's goal against Italy. For goodness sake guys - it was two weeks ago! Just let it go.

This has really pissed me off, I think a certain broadcasting station has realised that every team apart from Austria, Switzerland, Poland and Greece have been far and away better than the England squad in terms of passion, quality, individual skill and tactics. Added to the fact that the other squads aren't filled with utter lady gardens who only use these tournaments to gain bargaining chips for better contracts from their/other clubs.

Euro 2008 in my eyes quality wise is the best tournament during my life.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:ITV, meanwhile, seem to have decided to spend every free second trying to make cheap points (mostly incorrect) related to van Nisterooy's goal against Italy. For goodness sake guys - it was two weeks ago! Just let it go.

That's been mainly Jim Beglin, who has been utterly dreadful this tournament.
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Euro 2008 in my eyes quality wise is the best tournament during my life.

Up there, certainly, although the defending has been pretty poor. World Cups of 94 & 2002, and Euro 96 are the other tournaments that stand out for me. While we're on a retrospective, my team of the tournament (with a couple of matches to go) is:
Casillas
Anyukov, Pepe, R Kovac, Lahm
Sneijder, Senna, Arshavin
Sweinsteiger, Villa, Silva
Last edited by Registered Saddler on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:21 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:ITV, meanwhile, seem to have decided to spend every free second trying to make cheap points (mostly incorrect) related to van Nisterooy's goal against Italy. For goodness sake guys - it was two weeks ago! Just let it go.

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Euro 2008 in my eyes quality wise is the best tournament during my life.

Up there, certainly, although the defending has been pretty poor. World Cups of 94 & 2002, and Euro 96 are the other tournaments that stand out for me. While we're on a retrospective, my team of the tournament (with a couple of matches to go) is:
Casillas
Anyukov, Pepe, N Kovac, Lahm

I really enjoyed '96, '90 and '04.

If I were to pick a team . . . .

Casillas, Bosingwa. Lahm, Pepe, Marchena, Sneijder, Modric, Schweinsteiger, Rakitic, Arshavin and Villa.

Honourable mentions to Zhirkov, Pavluyachenko, Pletikosa, Moutinho, Van Der Vaart and Friedrich

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:44 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

Casillas
Anyukov, Pepe, N Kovac, Lahm

I really enjoyed '96, '90 and '04.

If I were to pick a team . . . .

Casillas, Bosingwa. Lahm, Pepe, Marchena, Sneijder, Modric, Schweinsteiger, Rakitic, Arshavin and Villa.

Honourable mentions to Zhirkov, Pavluyachenko, Pletikosa, Moutinho, Van Der Vaart and Friedrich

Wasn't he 1 of Flash Gordon's mates

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:02 pm

Him and the consistently awful Andy Townsend.

Beglin has been absolutely hopeless though. In the past he's been pretty anonymous, nothing special but not actively offensive to the ears. In this tournament, though, he's lost the plot. He's on the referee's back from the word go and refuses to acknowledge that any challenge that doesn't break a limb justifies the award of a freekick. In one game (against the Czech Republic?) he even managed to cast doubt on whether there'd any contact made with a Turkish player while there was a shot on screen of blood almost gushing out of a head wound. Absolute moron.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:17 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:

Beglin has been absolutely hopeless though. In the past he's been pretty anonymous, nothing special but not actively offensive to the ears. In this tournament, though, he's lost the plot. He's on the referee's back from the word go and refuses to acknowledge that any challenge that doesn't break a limb justifies the award of a freekick. In one game (against the Czech Republic?) he even managed to cast doubt on whether there'd any contact made with a Turkish player while there was a shot on screen of blood almost gushing out of a head wound. Absolute moron.

Cf: Chris Waddle on Five Live

Dross.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:39 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

Dross.

Yep - Waddle's a moron too. He was insisting that Lahm should have had a "pelanty" last night even when several replays had clearly shown it was outside the box (and - the very good - Mike Ingham had tried to suggest that to him).

And as for Alan Green alongside him, if it's such a hardship for you to go around the world watching the biggest football games and living off a BBC expenses account then I'm happy to swap jobs with you. It's tedious and unprofessional to moan about working conditions on air (especially when the moans usually amount to the commentary box not being five-star luxury ot it being cold in Newcastle in January). However, he has to do that seeing he has absolutely zero insight into football and his commentary "style" consists of berating one individual (either the ref, a player he's taken a dislike to or a manager) non-stop for his entire commentary spell.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:43 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:

Well, PH, each to their own. Although if your idea of a good time is watching a McDisney view of the [football] world which tells you that something is great when it so evidently it is not, then that's up to you. Sounds like you've been watching Sky for far too long. A bit of perspective is always a good thing.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

Dross.

Yep - Waddle's a moron too. He was insisting that Lahm should have had a "pelanty" last night even when several replays had clearly shown it was outside the box (and - the very good - Mike Ingham had tried to suggest that to him).

And as for Alan Green alongside him, if it's such a hardship for you to go around the world watching the biggest football games and living off a BBC expenses account then I'm happy to swap jobs with you. It's tedious and unprofessional to moan about working conditions on air (especially when the moans usually amount to the commentary box not being five-star luxury ot it being cold in Newcastle in January). However, he has to do that seeing he has absolutely zero insight into football and his commentary "style" consists of berating one individual (either the ref, a player he's taken a dislike to or a manager) non-stop for his entire commentary spell.

I'm with you all the way on Alan Green, though.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:50 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

Well, PH, each to their own. Although if your idea of a good time is watching a McDisney view of the [football] world which tells you that something is great when it so evidently it is not, then that's up to you. Sounds like you've been watching Sky for far too long. A bit of perspective is always a good thing.

I rarely watch Sky with audible sound as I don't have it at home (actually, that might be why they don't irritate me so much). In any case, I can make up my own mind about a game of football. If Richard Keys is telling me that I've just witnessed the best ever 0-0 draw between Bolton and Fulham but I know that it was, in fact, **** then I'll just ignore his opinion - just as I do those of Hansen, Shearer, Lineker et al.

At least I can understand where Sky are coming from (trying to sell their product). I can't for the life of me understand why the BBC want to pretend that the football we've seen in this tournament hasn't been good. :? :?

At least we agree on Green though! :wink:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:52 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:Yep - Waddle's a moron too. He was insisting that Lahm should have had a "pelanty" last night even when several replays had clearly shown it was outside the box (and - the very good - Mike Ingham had tried to suggest that to him).

*stands and applauds*
How is Waddle allowed on air? He doesn't even speak the language - his pronounciation of penalty makes my blood boil. When the pictures went Pete Tong last night and we had the commentary from Five Live, I had to press mute. As for Green, well, I don't go in for personal abuse normally but that guy is a fat idiot. How Ingham has sat next to him for the best part of two decades without smashing his goofy Liverpool-supporting face in is beyond me. He must have the patience of a saint. Or a good pair of earplugs.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

I rarely watch Sky with audible sound as I don't have it at home (actually, that might be why they don't irritate me so much). In any case, I can make up my own mind about a game of football. If Richard Keys is telling me that I've just witnessed the best ever 0-0 draw between Bolton and Fulham but I know that it was, in fact, **** then I'll just ignore his opinion - just as I do those of Hansen, Shearer, Lineker et al.

At least I can understand where Sky are coming from (trying to sell their product). I can't for the life of me understand why the BBC want to pretend that the football we've seen in this tournament hasn't been good. :? :?

The fact that Sky is constantly "trying to sell their product" is the main problem. It effectively renders any honesty or integrity impossible between the viewer and broadcaster, as your Bolton/Fulham example seems to demonstrate.

Re the BBC coverage - I have not found them particularly negative, although I have deliberately avoided Alan Green!

shane.ward.fan
Resident Idiot

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:29 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

The fact that Sky is constantly "trying to sell their product" is the main problem. It effectively renders any honesty or integrity impossible between the viewer and broadcaster, as your Bolton/Fulham example seems to demonstrate.

Re the BBC coverage - I have not found them particularly negative, although I have deliberately avoided Alan Green!

Re SKY PH how can they justify over 3 and a half hour viewing for 1 single 90 minute game !

Its all to do with advertising thier own products and personally i would much prefer to watch a game on BBC or ITV anyday ( even if it does mean suffering Andy Townsend on ITV :evil: ). At least with the above 2 you only have to suffer minimal cods wallop before and after the game unlike SKY where they disect everything down to a throw-in on the 23 minute !!!!

Exiled_Brummie

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:17 am

i have to say fair play to spain in the game this evening, but from where i was sitting in my local, i refused to cheer for them, as they looked like they were wearing a second hand wolves strip.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:32 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:Yep - Waddle's a moron too. He was insisting that Lahm should have had a "pelanty" last night even when several replays had clearly shown it was outside the box (and - the very good - Mike Ingham had tried to suggest that to him).

*stands and applauds*
How is Waddle allowed on air? He doesn't even speak the language - his pronounciation of penalty makes my blood boil. When the pictures went Pete Tong last night and we had the commentary from Five Live, I had to press mute. As for Green, well, I don't go in for personal abuse normally but that guy is a fat idiot. How Ingham has sat next to him for the best part of two decades without smashing his goofy Liverpool-supporting face in is beyond me. He must have the patience of a saint. Or a good pair of earplugs.

The best thing I heard him say was when The Mighty Neville goaded the bindippers at OT. " I hope hes banned for months, hes a disgrace"

Alan Green is a knobend, I would say this to his face.

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:22 am

i was a little disappointed with the game last night to be honest , pleased Spain won .

can they beat the Germans ........ i do hope so :D

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics