Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

No-one signs!!!!!!!

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:03 pm

Purple Toucan Saddler wrote:
PerStener wrote:Theres a post on the official website's messageboard that we are going to sign a Aston Villa midfielder on Monday..

Pretty strange if the will let him go.. they signed a new 2 year contract with him in December last year... It's probably just a wind up so I wouldn't put any thoughts into it to be honest...

The person making that post have mentioned a name which is Isaiah Osbourne.

The post includes following text:

isiah osboure is said to have completed a free transfer form villa park.

martin o'neill said "Isiah has interest from clubs and looks to be n his way out" << daily star

the deal is set to be confirmed on monday

Well please try harder to be silly in the future and then I will be happy.

Can you also confirm, was your post a joke or not, as we don't want the same kind of confusion that Phil has caused if you start saying you were joking when you start to look like an idiot if it doesn't come off :lol:

I'm not making it up... I visited the message forum on the official website and found this information posted there.
I don't know if the post on the official website message forum it's a wind up though..

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:04 pm

PerStener wrote:
PerStener wrote:Theres a post on the official website's messageboard that we are going to sign a Aston Villa midfielder on Monday..

Pretty strange if the will let him go.. they signed a new 2 year contract with him in December last year... It's probably just a wind up so I wouldn't put any thoughts into it to be honest...

martin o'neill said "Isiah has interest from clubs and looks to be n his way out" << daily star

Can you also confirm, was your post a joke or not, as we don't want the same kind of confusion that Phil has caused if you start saying you were joking when you start to look like an idiot if it doesn't come off :lol:

I'm not making it up... I visited the message forum on the official website and found this information posted there.
I don't know if the post on the official website message forum it's a wind up though..

You will now be held personally responsible if it is :twisted:

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:07 pm

PerStener wrote:

You will now be held personally responsible if it is :twisted:

Thats fine with me...... I think :x :lol:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:09 pm

stafflers wrote:The php message board software is very stable and can cope with large numbers of posts. UTS is big in terms of football sites, but I'm a member of a couple of non-football related message boards with far higher usage than this.

The recent troubles have had, in my view, very little to do with number of posts etc - the note from admin mentioned a hackattack. Threads like this do not cause a problem. In many ways they actually help, because while a thread like this is in full swing posts on other threads tend to dip so I would guess the post per day ratio tends to be fairly static. In any event it is unlikely that any swing towards more posts would cause problems.

The post from Admin did indeed mention Hackattack. However, when the Site was back up and running, the Admin message was (I believe) that memory had been doubled, with the addition of a potential suicide threat if that didn't do the trick! :D

The site has been stable since then, as far as I have observed, so it's probably the likely explanation that it was indeed a memory-based problem that we were having. I have to say that I have no other evidence to confirm this though, at least not at this stage. Maybe Steve can enlighten me/us.

Someone above suggested that it was up to us moderators only to see that the rules of the site are not broken, and that is obviously our main function, but I think it goes beyond that, especially in circumstances that might be threatening the site's ability to function without problems. Technical dificulties have caused this site to crash several times recently, so if there are ways of preventing such events, why would we not involve ourselves in that when we have the facilities available to us to do so?

Until I am told otherwise from "above" that I should not regard this as part of my function, I shall consider it to be so. FOURTEEN pages of this thread, of which I'd guesstimate 85%-90% is drivel, is a waste of resources, but I am glad to see that it appears (currently at least) to have stalled (except we're now up to FIFTEEN).
Last edited by geoffwhiting on Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:21 pm

Get In!!!!!!

What a signing!

PS, is it Osborn, Osbourn or Osbourne???

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:28 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:

Get In!!!!!!

What a signing!

Osbourne

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:04 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
stafflers wrote:The php message board software is very stable and can cope with large numbers of posts. UTS is big in terms of football sites, but I'm a member of a couple of non-football related message boards with far higher usage than this.

The recent troubles have had, in my view, very little to do with number of posts etc - the note from admin mentioned a hackattack. Threads like this do not cause a problem. In many ways they actually help, because while a thread like this is in full swing posts on other threads tend to dip so I would guess the post per day ratio tends to be fairly static. In any event it is unlikely that any swing towards more posts would cause problems.

The post from Admin did indeed mention Hackattack. However, when the Site was back up and running, the Admin message was (I believe) that memory had been doubled, with the addition of a potential suicide threat if that didn't do the trick! :D

The site has been stable since then, as far as I have observed, so it's probably the likely explanation that it was indeed a memory-based problem that we were having. I have to say that I have no other evidence to confirm this though, at least not at this stage. Maybe Steve can enlighten me/us.

Someone above suggested that it was up to us moderators only to see that the rules of the site are not broken, and that is obviously our main function, but I think it goes beyond that, especially in circumstances that might be threatening the site's ability to function without problems. Technical dificulties have caused this site to crash several times recently, so if there are ways of preventing such events, why would we not involve ourselves in that when we have the facilities available to us to do so?

Until I am told otherwise from "above" that I should not regard this as part of my function, I shall consider it to be so. FOURTEEN pages of this thread, of which I'd guesstimate 85%-90% is drivel, is a waste of resources, but I am glad to see that it appears (currently at least) to have stalled (except we're now up to FIFTEEN).

Perhaps a lot is drivel, but if we hadn't written it here, it would only be elsewhere :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:28 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Perhaps a lot is drivel, but if we hadn't written it here, it would only be elsewhere :wink:

OK, maybe they can put it elsewhere then, but perhaps think first and be more sensible about it when they do.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:53 pm

PerStener wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:

Get In!!!!!!

What a signing!

Osbourne

Osborne, surely? :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:56 pm

an Osbourne, osborn , or whatever, used to play for one of our local rivals, its doomed from the start i tell ya

Diddy_P

Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:38 pm

OZZY OSBOURNE 8)

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:23 am

geoffwhiting wrote:

Geoff, You do realise that the more you get wound up about this, the longer the thread will run. :?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:29 am

Cheesebag wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Geoff, You do realise that the more you get wound up about this, the longer the thread will run. :?

Dont answer him Geoff - he is only trying to provoke another response :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:08 am

Aldridge Steve wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

I agree :mrgreen:

stafflers
UTS Regular

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:06 am

Exile wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

I agree :mrgreen:

Yes. That's what I was thinking :|

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:11 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Perhaps, but not necessarily, I have this button you see Cheesey, and may be about to use it, particularly when someone is taking the pee ! :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:43 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Perhaps, but not necessarily, I have this button you see Cheesey, and may be about to use it, particularly when someone is taking the pee ! :wink:

As I said on the other board geoff I don't see how you can. As far as I can see there's nothing on here that goes against the AUP.

You don't like it so don't read it but lots of people have commented on this thread as it reminds them why they like UTS. It's a matter of opinion geoff but it's nothing offensive and I really don't think memory is a problem now admin has upgraded. Text in this form takes up very little bandwith, it's pictures that cause problems. Of course if admin wants to set guidelines for pages of "rubbish", he can. :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:33 pm

Oops sorry guys, I locked it earlier after responding to Cheesey's pee-take, then got heavily involved in work that's on a tight deadline (yes, honestly) and totally forgot to go back and unlock it again.

I just finished the work, logged back on and saw the reaction.

Sincere apologies, it was never meant to stay locked for more than half an hour or so ! :oops:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:33 pm

Who locked the second thread then :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:34 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Who locked the second thread then :D

Not me.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:35 pm

I guessed that, cos you would have told me to behave if it was you !

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:45 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Who locked the second thread then :D

I promise you it was NOT me. In fact I was working all afternoon until about 15 minutes ago, so only saw "Part 2" when I logged back on this evening.

The original lock was only put on as a joke after I'd responded to Cheesey. You'll see from the smiley that it was only a light-hearted response. I never expected to forget to go back and unlock it again. :?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:47 pm

Fair enough, i believe you of course , it's quite funny really :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:49 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Fair enough, i believe you of course , it's quite funny really :D

in a Phil 'meant it all along' sort of way? :twisted:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:50 pm

Exile wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Fair enough, i believe you of course , it's quite funny really :D

Where is Phil? he's been very quiet

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:50 pm

Exile wrote:

exactly that yes !

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:52 pm

Exile wrote:

Thanks ! None of us are perfect, and me with this Altzheimers ain't helping a lot ! :oops:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:55 pm

Now who's unlocked Part 2 then ? :?

Zippy
Glitterati

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:56 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Thanks ! None of us are perfect, and me with this Altzheimers ain't helping a lot ! :oops:

I'd forgot about that.

:)

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:59 pm

Zippyzip wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Thanks ! None of us are perfect, and me with this Altzheimers ain't helping a lot ! :oops:

I'd forgot about that.

:)

About what ? :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics