Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

No-one signs!!!!!!!

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:01 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:BTW - "Have's and have nots" :lol: Dont make me laugh - £10 isn't much to you or anyone who already owns a compuetr and has internet connection, and follows football!

No, it's a pittance. however it's something I don't care for . Either this site is run as a paying members site, whose contributions pay for the site fees and upkeep, or it's an open access site, which, clearly it isn't.

And BTW it was not my intention to make you laugh. Which part of my post did you find amusing?

Er.... I am not a member of the "other side" as i don't pay. But why does a multi-functional website have to be 1 or the other when it quite obviously can be both. It's no different to a V.I.P room in a club or a Members only section of a ground

Because for me the entire ethos for a site such as this is its openness and its egalitarianism. As soon as bits of it are ‘farmed off’ for those who stump up a few quid, that openness and egalitarianism goes out of the window. A bit like footballs prawn sandwich brigade looking down on the terraces in my opinion.

Couldn't disagree more, Is that what people who don't contribute to the greyhound site think of you?

The greyhound sites I contribute to don't include private paying members sections. I contribute because I contribute, and beyond that people can think of me whatever thay want to think of me.

One of the other points I made is worth a mention again... it means that things can be said (rumours etc, breaking news) without it being picked up by occassional visitors. Obviously now that I know you wont be contibuting, I am off to start a thread about you :wink: (joke btw!)

Hey, Steve, feel free mate, like I said people can think of me whatever thay want to think of me. :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:05 pm

Group Hug :lol:

Duke
Site Addict

mods borard

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:08 pm

will this thread ever end :roll:
Last edited by Duke on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:09 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Group Hug :lol:

At least it lent a little validity to an otherwise tedius thread. I'll pass on the group hug thing as I've also noticed a tendancy towards the homo-erotic in recent weeks....not that i'm suggesting you fall into that category of course. :wink:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:12 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:

At least it lent a little validity to an otherwise tedius thread. I'll pass on the group hug thing as I've also noticed a tendancy towards the homo-erotic in recent weeks....not that i'm suggesting you fall into that category of course. :wink:

£50 gets you into the homo-erotic forum, only cyclo there at the moment. Oh, And Aldridge Steve as site sponsor :lol:

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:

£50 gets you into the homo-erotic forum, only cyclo there at the moment. Oh, And Aldridge Steve as site sponsor :lol:

Cheque okay? :shock:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:One of the other points I made is worth a mention again... it means that things can be said (rumours etc, breaking news) without it being picked up by occassional visitors. Obviously now that I know you wont be contibuting, I am off to start a thread about you :wink: (joke btw!)

Out of interest, how do you prevent the gentlemen of the press (if it is indeed them you want to keep away) from paying up like regular Joe Saddler and getting access to hush-hush top secret Area 51?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:17 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:One of the other points I made is worth a mention again... it means that things can be said (rumours etc, breaking news) without it being picked up by occassional visitors. Obviously now that I know you wont be contibuting, I am off to start a thread about you :wink: (joke btw!)

Out of interest, how do you prevent the gentlemen of the press (if it is indeed them you want to keep away) from paying up like regular Joe Saddler and getting access to hush-hush top secret Area 51?

You probably dont but most people who post on there are the "regulars".

stafflers
UTS Regular

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:32 pm

Because the gentlemen of the press had no idea it existed until now :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:35 pm

Oh...BTW it also keeps the Stafflers NMFE type gags out too

(that should sell it for you admin) :lol:

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:39 pm

stafflers wrote:

Because the gentlemen of the press had no idea it existed until now :lol:

Then at least this thread has at last served a useful purpose :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, and back to the threads original point, I think I got the joke, but can somebody just run it past me again...

Purple Toucan Saddler

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:56 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:BTW - "Have's and have nots" :lol: Dont make me laugh - £10 isn't much to you or anyone who already owns a compuetr and has internet connection, and follows football!

No, it's a pittance. however it's something I don't care for . Either this site is run as a paying members site, whose contributions pay for the site fees and upkeep, or it's an open access site, which, clearly it isn't.

And BTW it was not my intention to make you laugh. Which part of my post did you find amusing?

Er.... I am not a member of the "other side" as i don't pay. But why does a multi-functional website have to be 1 or the other when it quite obviously can be both. It's no different to a V.I.P room in a club or a Members only section of a ground

Because for me the entire ethos for a site such as this is its openness and its egalitarianism. As soon as bits of it are ‘farmed off’ for those who stump up a few quid, that openness and egalitarianism goes out of the window. A bit like footballs prawn sandwich brigade looking down on the terraces in my opinion.

You get prawn sandwiches aswell. Where do I sign up :lol:

Purple Toucan Saddler

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:59 pm

Anyway, back to the main topic - Ban Phil the lying toe rag :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:45 pm

Funnily enough all this 'post moderated' stuff was a bit lost on me. Thinking it was an anagram or something of that ilk I was looking out for players by the the name of Peter Doomstad or Tom Sodderpate...silly me :roll:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:06 pm

It's Ok - if they pay the required £500 membership - they are welcomed with open arms :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:26 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:And none of those site carries a section trumpeting the fact that joe bloggs or whoever has contributed X amount of £'s to keep this site up and running.

I take it your referring to Steve's sponsorship of the site that is mentioned on the front page? The truth is, this site has got very expensive to maintain in the last few years (casualty of it's own success). Steve Roy is unable to meet these costs on his own. Substantial investment was needed to keep the site alive. Aldridge Steve has met the vast majority of these costs. If having that fact advertised on the site means that an important part of many of our lives is kept running then I am more than happy for it to continue.

I had no inkling of there even been a possibility of a "private members" section for contributors when I paid my tenner. I don't care if they scrapped it tomorrow I would still help out financially if and when needed. That section isn't even that well used.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:39 pm

Was going to lock this thread as a total waste of bandwidth, but in actual fact it's really funny.

Apart from the original joke

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:44 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Ten whole pages of saying nothing. I wonder why this site keeps crashing? :?

Any chance people might start to act responsibly?

OMG Listen to her :P :lol:

Geoff, I've got 7000+ posts saying nothing, I wouldn't let it bother you

But Cheesey, I DO let it bother me because I know the problems that the site has encountered recently, and wonder why people never seem to learn.

They moan when the site goes down, but they waste memory on junk like this, it's stupid and irresponsible.

Perhaps one solution would be to delete the post count. It's clear that some people enjoy rattling up a post count, not that I have a problem with that, but if you feel that quantity is winning out over quality then post counting and the gaining of sub tags such as 'veteran' and 'glitterati' could do with being dumped.

I agree completely so if that was an intended dig at me it doesn't work. I don't post to "rattle up my post count" I detest that idea and did from the start as it's often a stick used by the part times to have a go at us the most regular posters. I said this from the start before posts counts were established.

I make more posts than anyone currently, my situation dictates I can but I very very rarely make one word or quick posts to bump the count up and I dislike the current trend of congratulatory threads such as well done on getting to 555 posts etc etc. It's a bit pathetic to be honest. I think all post counts and statuses should be cancelled.

I do think however you feel disillusioned that the board is not what it was 5 years ago. I do too, it was better then but the internet has become much more available in that time which means more users of all walks of life, and as tinned has said this means more bandwith and much higher costs to run the site. This means either people contribute or we get lots of unsightly adverts which if clicked on could lead to spyware etc.

If you're looking for a board to be as it was 5 years ago, go on NMFE. It's odd how so many people constantly complain about this board yet it's plain that they read it often enough to know most of what goes on. Odd.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:55 pm

tinned wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:And none of those site carries a section trumpeting the fact that joe bloggs or whoever has contributed X amount of £'s to keep this site up and running.

I take it your referring to Steve's sponsorship of the site that is mentioned on the front page? The truth is, this site has got very expensive to maintain in the last few years (casualty of it's own success). Steve Roy is unable to meet these costs on his own. Substantial investment was needed to keep the site alive. Aldridge Steve has met the vast majority of these costs. If having that fact advertised on the site means that an important part of many of our lives is kept running then I am more than happy for it to continue.

I had no inkling of there even been a possibility of a "private members" section for contributors when I paid my tenner. I don't care if they scrapped it tomorrow I would still help out financially if and when needed. That section isn't even that well used.

I've not refered to Steve sponsorship of the site once, have I?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:05 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Ten whole pages of saying nothing. I wonder why this site keeps crashing? :?

But Cheesey, I DO let it bother me because I know the problems that the site has encountered recently, and wonder why people never seem to learn.

They moan when the site goes down, but they waste memory on junk like this, it's stupid and irresponsible.

Perhaps one solution would be to delete the post count. It's clear that some people enjoy rattling up a post count, not that I have a problem with that, but if you feel that quantity is winning out over quality then post counting and the gaining of sub tags such as 'veteran' and 'glitterati' could do with being dumped.

I agree completely so if that was an intended dig at me it doesn't work. I don't post to "rattle up my post count" I detest that idea and did from the start as it's often a stick used by the part times to have a go at us the most regular posters. I said this from the start before posts counts were established.

I make more posts than anyone currently, my situation dictates I can but I very very rarely make one word or quick posts to bump the count up and I dislike the current trend of congratulatory threads such as well done on getting to 555 posts etc etc. It's a bit pathetic to be honest. I think all post counts and statuses should be cancelled.

I do think however you feel disillusioned that the board is not what it was 5 years ago. I do too, it was better then but the internet has become much more available in that time which means more users of all walks of life, and as tinned has said this means more bandwith and much higher costs to run the site. This means either people contribute or we get lots of unsightly adverts which if clicked on could lead to spyware etc.

If you're looking for a board to be as it was 5 years ago, go on NMFE. It's odd how so many people constantly complain about this board yet it's plain that they read it often enough to know most of what goes on. Odd.

Well done on getting to 20264 posts.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:09 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:

And where exactly have I had a dig at anybody in reference to the post counting on here? If you took the time to read what I posted I said it was of no consequence to me, none whatsoever. You have however stated the exact reason as to why it should be removed. ie, people for whatever reason pushing up their post count just to reach a thousand or two thousand or five thousand and give themselves a congratulatory pat on the back for doing so. The point was made that valuble space was being taken up with nonsence, and my suggestion to help address that situation was to do away with the post count facility, a suggestion, if I understand your last post correctly, something which we both appear to agree upon. If anything I have written suggests otherwise please point out where I have stated it.

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

Your line above seems to suggest that was what you were referring to.

Please don't take my post the wrong way, it wasn't meant to be accusatory or trying start an argument. I was just pointing out that this site needs somekind of sponsorship.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:18 pm

tinned wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

Please don't take my post the wrong way, it wasn't meant to be accusatory or trying start an argument. I was just pointing out that this site needs somekind of sponsorship.

Tinned, of course I don't, and clearly this site needs a certain level of funding to keep it serviced, and Steve should be thanked for the finance he pumps into this site. My point is what is the necessity for having a sub site for paying sponsors?

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:21 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

Tinned, of course I don't, and clearly this site needs a certain level of funding to keep it serviced, and Steve should be thanked for the finance he pumps into this site. My point is what is the necessity for having a sub site for paying sponsors?

There is no point to this extra messageboard. The vast majority of contributors paid their money long before this section was even considered. What I'm trying to say is that it wasn't a case of a group of us deciding to have our own private club by subscribing, it was just something added on months later.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:21 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:

And where exactly have I had a dig at anybody in reference to the post counting on here? If you took the time to read what I posted I said it was of no consequence to me, none whatsoever. You have however stated the exact reason as to why it should be removed. ie, people for whatever reason pushing up their post count just to reach a thousand or two thousand or five thousand and give themselves a congratulatory pat on the back for doing so. The point was made that valuble space was being taken up with nonsence, and my suggestion to help address that situation was to do away with the post count facility, a suggestion, if I understand your last post correctly, something which we both appear to agree upon. If anything I have written suggests otherwise please point out where I have stated it.

It was the tone of that post and others on this thread, in fact in others recently that that made me arrive at that conclusion, including a couple along the lines of "people seem happy to hint at knowing information but won't actually say on here exactly what". Many others label me with this tag so I assumed you were to.

Why would you mention rattling up posts of quality over quantity if not referring the one who has a bigger quantity of posts than anyone else?

I apologise if I have misread you.

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:22 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:

It was the tone of that post and others on this thread, in fact in others recently that that made me arrive at that conclusion, including a couple along the lines of "people seem happy to hint at knowing information but won't actually say on here exactly what". Many others label me with this tag so I assumed you were to.

Why would you mention rattling up posts of quality over quantity if not referring the one who has a bigger quantity of posts than anyone else?

Well at least this discussion is speeding you to the 25k mark if nothing else, eh? :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:28 pm

tinned wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:

Well at least this discussion is speeding you to the 25k mark if nothing else, eh? :wink:

I actually tried to reset my post count last week but I couldn't find anything on the admin function to do so. It doesn't bother me one bit and like I said to Salop, I think the whole thing should be deleted.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:30 pm

Don't apologise, there's nothing to apologise for. I was simply commenting on an observation. But there does seem to be a culture of 'nudge nudge, wink wink on this site which at times is bordering on the daft. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, in fact who am I to say that!!?? But it clearly has got the backs up of some of the posters on here which in turn seems to lead to some people getting genuinely irritated. Me not being one of them btw! Where I do agree, utterly with you, is that this site has lost something of what it used to be. And I put that down to me getting older and more synical by the day!
Last edited by Salop Saddler on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:31 pm

Is this still all part of the original joke?

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:34 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Is this still all part of the original joke?

I can see what your game is mate....1998 posts? Ha, thought you'd get me to reply to....Doh.

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics