Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Derby (h) - League - 26th April 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Derby (h) - League - 26th April 2003

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:16 am

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

I thought we played some real good football today. Obviously Junior was superb, seemed today to put himself about a lot more, this is what I wanted to see in Junior as I dont think he does enough of this. Took his goals really well and him and Jorge really seem to get on together both on and off the pitch by the looks, they looked liked best buddies. Also thought Roper had his usual superb game, who would have thought a few years back he would give Ravanelli a run for his money? Quite unbelievable how good Roper is, I get more and more amazed every match, what a credit to himself and Walsall FC. Samways was brilliant in midfield, we will relaly miss him I think, still think Robinson could give us something next season if Pompey decide to get rid.
The normal few outstanding saves from Jimmy in the match, so glad we have him as our last line of defence every week.
All the rest were good to very good. However, I do honestly think the Pedro fans cannot surely expect him to stay, he is just not good enough over 45 minutes, neveralone 90 minutes. Same can be said about Barras and Simpson. Good luck to all 3 of them though.
And who would have thought at the beginning of the season we would be above Derby and Coventry when the season is near end! Just shows how far we has a club have come!

By sedgers (62.31.219.127) on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

just a quick moan be for i praise the lads,derbys number 40 mcleod,what a wa*ker dives kicks and moans all game he was a disgrace.now the plus points,junior,jimmy,zigor,vinny,ropes and, sod it the whole team played well.one more win and we could move a bit further up the table!another good point is that eight place will get into the playoffs next year definately achievable on the last 5 games evidence.i think we will miss samways next year aswell.

By Don Rogers (213.122.35.65) on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Now that was better! We even got a wave from CL! Good to see Zigor moving forward and having the thought and skill to collect Jimmy's clearances. Much better than the normal big hoof upfield and hope. Not convinced about Robinson - what was up with Lawrence today? CL also doesn't seem to have given up totally on Samways, so we will have to wait and see. Mind you, if there are to be budget cuts, there will have to be a bit of a clear out before anyone else comes in. Shame to see the terraces go - there was the old atmosphere back today!

By cat3 (219.76.96.9) on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Awesome victory today! It's always wonderful seeing Derby lose to us, I just want to see the reaction from Ravanelli.. He must be pretty darn p~~~~ losing to us..

By Kevthesaddler (217.44.43.205) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

I think Robinson had a really good game, he shows such energy and comitment & if he makes a mistake or give the ball away he almost always wins it back. I'm desperate for us to sign him, as i am with Junior

By Fish (81.131.171.83) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 01:02 am: Edit

What an enjoyable game.

Understandably Junior was Man of the Match but I thought that Samways was immense, better even than Merson a few weeks ago. Robinson, for me also stood out although you could argue everyone contributed.

There's a nice match-day photo in tonights 'Sporting Star'. Junior's T shirt carried the message 'Jesus Lives in Walsall'.

I think he likes it here !

By popperpancake (81.79.10.111) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 02:01 am: Edit

Great game to end the home season with. Everyone played well. Samways is an excellent player, i'd like him to stay (along with robinson). Looking to next season the only players i'd like to see leave are simpson, zdrilic, hawley and birch (wright if he's not gonna play too). I think matias is a useful member of the squad personally. Junior for me is great, i know people say he's lazy and he doesn't win much in the air (he could/should have had a hat-trick of headers today) but he's a goalscorer. In fact he's more of a goalscorer than jorge is. I maintain as i have done all season that they are an excellent partnership for us to have. Beautiful to see stoke having to go to the last game (hopefully brighton can do it) and congrats to ray and rammell......back in full effect. Happy.

By Crewe Saddler (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 02:17 am: Edit

Fish. Wasn't Jesus nearly born in Walsall?

Problem was they couldn't find 3 wise men and a virgin.

The Old ones are always the best ...

By lee54 (80.195.89.165) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 08:46 am: Edit

sheff m8 come on lets keep barras & get rid of
carbon

& as for graig burley well he was made to eat his
words

rava who yes great freekick but worst player on the pitch

if u all going to sheff press your 1
coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooome on u saddlers

By Giza (81.132.2.87) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 09:58 am: Edit

Almost got my hands on that said t shirt asked for it before the game and junior agreed to pass it on, then he goes and scores a hat trick therefore guess what he wanted to keep it and the match ball

shame would looked good on our wall

Congrats to roper for the player of the season i think he was surperb this season, but i am a bit miffed i thought tha whacker would of got it with the amount of world class saves this season.

but if the public think roper i'll go with that.

By Shifnalsaddler (213.1.45.2) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 10:33 am: Edit

Roper has been awesome at times, Cov away and Bradford away probably his two best, but has played to a generally high standard, so I think he deserves it, with Jimmy a very creditable runner up. Those two individuals have done so much for us this season.

Jimmy made a great save from a header yesterady at 1-0, then a similar header from Junior squirmed in a few minutes later at t'other end. Walker has been doing that sort of thing all season, well, for ten years really.

By Neil Ravenscroft (213.48.83.132) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 11:07 am: Edit

Still millions in debt, probably have to get rid of Ravenelli, Kinkladze, Burley - were we watching potential relegation candidates yesterday, playing against us?
Agree with most of the summing up, especially about Samways, who was majestic, but how interesting was the switch to 3 5 2 with Zigor left of the three? I know it didn't last long, but I've had a feeling for a while that he could do that job.

By Jorge14 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

"However, I do honestly think the Pedro fans cannot surely expect him to stay, he is just not good enough over 45 minutes, neveralone 90 minutes"

What did I say Sheff? I seem to remember that I got absolutely blasted for saying that after the Cov game.

Great performance. Ian Roper deserved his Player of Season award and from what I heard so did Julian Bennett for the young player of the season, however, I haven't been too impressed when I've seen him play.

Who stood out? Junior obviously, hope that JWB will give CL the wages for Junior, seeing as I think his club have gone bust I think, or are near to going bust. Samways was superb, really showed his quality which is understandable, because last year he played against Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo, Claude Makelele, Pablo Aimar etc. If there is any chance we can keep Robinson we should, he is a step above Simpson and to be honest Stanners (Craig Stanley) should be given his chance next season. Pedro did well down the left but I've said all I've got to say about Ped, the same goes for Corica. Aranalde seems to have progressed this season immensley. Last season at the custard bowl he was crap, yesterday he looked quality going forward and was more than alright at the back. Darren Bazely was unlucky to finish third and the same goes for Wacka for finishing second in the Player of the Season award. Tony Barras has been a great servant for the club these past 3 years or so, shame his last home appearance was marked with an unlucky own goal.

Up front Junior and Jorge act like they are brothers. They know exactly what each other are going to do. Wracky did well yesterday as well.

Going in the summer? Well, I don't think we should talk about this on here because yesterdays match was terrific.

Ravanelli scored a great goal for any one who wasn't at the match or who had left early, a real treat to see a great player at his trade. But who would have thought when he won the European Cup with Juventus alongside legends like Gianluca Vialli and Roberto Baggio that he would be getting beaten 3-2 at the Bescot Stadium?

And the number 40, Izale McLoud or whatever he is called. He is a dirty cheat who seems to have an attitude problem as well. Derby fans liken him to Wayne Rooney, well you don't see Roonaldo diving all over the place do you? He's an absolute disgrace and he was hardly a great player was he? Craig Burley go absolutely dominated by MOC and Samways. They were immense and unfortunately a little bit of the midfield intensity was lost when Simpson came on.

And finally, Derby's second half goalkeeper. Lee Camp...the name says it all doesn't it?

By Sharky61 (217.44.52.134) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Great game yesterday, Samways, Roper, Ziggy, Jimmy, Junior, hard to pick a man of the match. Barras really unlucky with the own goal.
Got home and put on the teletext for all the scores, said Burley missed pen. Should that not have been Walker saved pen, it was on target and going in, why oh why don't they credit the keeper. Icing on the cake was seeing Ravioli blast the rebound over from two yards out.Even my mom would have put that away. 40 grand a week, Ha Ha! Justice was done, Derby fan said to me it was a 50-50 ball never a pen in the first place. The ref gave Derby everything in a ten minute spell, I thought it was going to be another of those frustrating days. Really pleased with the result, hope we can improve even more for next season, just Wednesday next Sunday then pass the Ambre Solaire. Already looking forward to the Villa game.

By Salop Saddler (213.78.113.198) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Really made up for Junior. He may be as one footed as hell but so was Maradonut (The best I ever saw in the flesh). But even above the need to sign Junior is the need to beg Samways to stay in some way, shape, or form. Without doubt the bloke's real class, and I'd like to thank him for his massive his contribution over the past few weeks...the man's a star.

I have to disagree with some of my fellow Saddlers, I thought Ravanelli was really good yesterday. He had little support and worked hard all game. He was some player a few years ago and still is premiership quality IMO. I doubt he'll be at Derby next year, and once the exodus takes place it'll be backs to the wall for the Rams.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.74) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

On the train home my Hives cd was interupted by a nice young lady who apparently had just been on a pole dancing training course - which I found fascinating. She insisted on fetching stuff from the buffet car for me in return for which I beguiled her with tales of Cleethorpes, Gresty Road, and nuns from Sunderland. Later we shared a taxi down the coast road which saved me four quid and enabled last orders to be comfortabley achieved- as good as a shag really.

I would just like to congratulate Colin Lee for this. The impromtu traveling companion has been of a much higher standard over the last 16 months. All I got under Graydon was Trevor Francis and a few crappy labour MP's. Well done Colin Lee, I just dont want this season to end, brilliant stuff.

By Paul G (62.31.220.61) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Excellent entertainment which raises just two querstions:

(1) Exactly whereabouts in Walsall does Jesus live?

(2) Why were the floodlights on for an afternoon game in late april?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:06 am: Edit

Jammy sod Geordie !

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

Jammy sod Geordie !

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:54 am: Edit

I once met an Eskimo who had been Lap dancing....I'll get me snorkel parka.

Return to 2002-03 Season