Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Grimsby (a) - League - 21st April 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Grimsby (a) - League - 21st April 2003

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:16 am

By TheFridge (213.122.180.99) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 04:53 pm: Edit

1-0
me babies have done the job.
Now we are safe perhaps its time to give some of the youngsters a run out in the last 2 games?

By woodster (195.92.198.74) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Listened on the internet to the lads wasting chances to win 2 , 3 or 4-0. Season to forget? I think not. Congratulations to Colin and the squad on an unprecedented achievement. Roll on the party in Sheffield...

By TheFridge (213.122.180.99) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Yes it is important to remember that this is 3 consecutive years in div1...as woodster pointed out this is an unprecedented achievement.
We have 51 points which is where we finished last season and we have 2 games to go...i know points are no longer important but it would be nice to get 57.
However i think it is more important that we give the youngsters a try. we should say thanks to the guys we brought in on loan and on short term deals but we should now be looking to next season and that means playing guys who will be here next season.

By Nolongerworried (218.102.23.25) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

mid-table mediocrity here we come!!!!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Mid-table mediocrity next season will do me fine.
Getting to the top is a slow and gradual process, but it can be done in time.

The close season will be really interesting, seeing who we can attract to strengthen the side.

Again today, although we got a good win, we showed that goalscoring is one of our biggest problems, a number of easy chances to make the game safe were missed, we can't keep doing that in this division, it's cost us too many points this season.

But for now, it's many Congratulations to CL and the lads, well done for settling our nerves with a couple of "relaxing" games to go.

Let's party on Saturday against The Rams. We've overtaken Coventry, it would be great to finish above the Rams as well.

Hate Sjoke, but they're as good as safe today and fair play to them, they've had some good results lately. So congrats to them. Commiserations to Grimsby, SheffW and especially Brighton who put in such a good effort and so nearly got there. Can't see 'em doing it now with Sjoke 6 points clear with 2 games to go - would be a miracle.

But today is for us - I never expected wins at 2 of our bogey grounds - Priestfield and Blundell Park - but we broke the mould this time - safety - brilliant - superb.

By Shifnalsaddler (212.140.121.195) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Geoff, I wouldn't call Priestfield a bogey ground, we've won there seven times in the last thirty years - problem is when we do lose it's by loads, so it probably just seems bad, plus it's a long way back home to stew over the defeat.

Grimsby I'm not sure, I can remember Miah Dennehy and Brian Taylor getting us a win back in '76, but not much else. And we lost 6-2 back in '73, and the great George Andrews scored his first goal for us.

Four clean sheets in a row, nice and solid, it's what we've needed, if you can keep it tight you give yourself a chance.

By sedgers (213.48.65.112) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

well,we did and with one more game to spare than last season.well done to all the lads especially jimmy,jorge,junior and ropes!forget everything thats happened over the last few weeks and lets look forward to the party atmosphere in the next 2 games!its been a decent season so lets give the lads (and cl)loads of support against derby and wednesday.see you all in the supporters club (members only area)on saturday and drinks are on me!

By hullsaddler (213.249.174.182) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 07:39 pm: Edit

On a day when the sun shone on Cleethorpes,the result was the important thing.Doubtless many thousands were attracted to Pleasure Island and the various adjoining delights that the Humberside Riveria has to offer,but fewer local residents were tempted to Blundell Park,to see the Saddlers pass the last rites on the Mariners as a first division club.
We did not have to do a great deal to nail the coffin lid down ,as Grimsby huffed & puffed a bit but showed why they are in the position that they are.Their best chance was a near own goal,as someone (did not spot who)glanced a header over Jimmy onto the bar.
We could have had more goals ourselves,besides Junior's scrappy affair in the far distance ,but fortunately one was enough.Thinking about summer holidays seemed to be the main thing on some players' minds but who cares, we got good enough marks for effort to deserve to win.
Listening to the misery from Grimsby fans on Radio Humberside on the way home,emphasised how great it is still to be in this division.
A Hull fan suggested that Darren Wrack was a target for Hull City in the summer.Whether he wants to return to this area I dont know,just wish he would get to the doctors to get confidence booster jabs for when he is going forward.
My only real complaint about today is that 2 of my easiest games Sheff Wed & Grimsby are not possible next season.Sods law suggests that Sheff Utd will go up.
Well done Colin Lee & everyone & shame on the people who chanted sack the dingle ( as well as the racist morons with their monkey grunts at the Grimsby number 28)

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.172) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Interesting Shifnal, I must admit I hadn't looked at the stats, I just said it as I remembered it. I'm surprised to learn we've won there 7 times in 30 years. Given that there must have been a number of years when we've not been in the same division, that probably means we've won well over 25% of games there, which would be above average.

So your other theory might be right I suppose, that I've remembered it more from the heavy defeats rather than the number of defeats.

Purely out of interest I'll get the "bible" out when I get the chance, just to see how many times we've played there in those last 30 years. Cheers for putting me right on that.

While I'm doing that I'll check out our Blundell Park record too. It'll give me something to while away a few minutes of the close season.

By jonny baracuda (195.93.49.12) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Hull-It was Ropes.

Congratulations and jubilations.Sun,Sea,safety and sanity.

Well done.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Geoff - Another away win, does this mean another meal?

By Sonic (195.93.49.12) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

A great day by the sea brilliant scenes at the end well done to Colin and the lads ive never seen Colin look as happy as he did at the end when they all came over to the fans he looked like a great weight had been lifted off his shoulders. The only sad notes the stupid flute song and the monkey noises made at the Grimsby sub what planet are these morons from? Anyway i wont let them spoil our day WE ARE STAYING UP!

By Frank Stubbs (195.93.49.12) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

MISSION ACOMPLISHED

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 01:39 am: Edit

Yes Sheff, anything you say today is OK by me !

By DF (213.48.84.145) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 11:07 am: Edit

Blundell Park was warm, We won there, And live to fight another season in the Nationwide top flight. Tell me it all wasn't a dream.

On a more serious subject it's 5 years since Ian Roper gave the most hopeless performance I've ever seen from a Walsall footballer (under Jan at Grimsby) He looked free transfer material and no mistake. Since then he's improved month on month, season on season and yesterday gave one of the finest performances I've ever seen from a Walsall player. Many defenders at this level offer their opponent some kind of mistake during a game but for weeks now Roper has been faultless. I doubt he'll win player of the season, simply because there are more trendy options but for me he has been the man of 2002/03.

By SheffieldSaddler (217.33.133.2) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 11:28 am: Edit

I think he will definately win player of the season this season, no doubt about it.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.173) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 11:29 am: Edit

DF - why shouldn't Roper win the Player of the Season award - frankly I'll be amazed if he doesn't. Trendy options - like who ?

I don't agree he's made no mistakes though. Wakker made a great save from his mis-kick in the Norwich game last Saturday - that's at least one in three months, what an awful record (JOKE)

Player of the Season - no doubt - not bad for a player who I said (about 5 years ago) would never make a footballer if he kept playing until his ar*ehole healed up ! Shows how much I know, but then again I wasn't on my own at the time.

By LAW (62.255.41.91) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

In all the excitement yesterday afternoon my camera gave up the ghost - did anyone manage to get any pictures of CL and the lads when they came over to the stand to acknowledge us and 'take a bow' - what a fantastic experience. If you did get any pictures, wonder if you'd let me know and I'd appreciate a copy or two.

Many thanks.
Lin
JWTC

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.166) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Christ Lin, this is a first, I've never before heard of a camera getting excited and giving up the ghost !

I've seen no reviews about this in the camera mags, what make/model is it ?

By freda g (195.93.49.12) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Obvious......A Korica,with exposure compensation.

By DF (62.31.217.30) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Geoff I didn't say Roper shouldn't win it. As my last post said for me he has been clearly the best player this term. I just think that fans favourites (Jimmy in particular) will poll higher. Didn't Padula steal it from under the nose of JW one year on the back of only half a season for example.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.176) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

DF, yes it's OK I knew exactly what you meant, ( i.e. that Ropes should win it but probably wouldn't ) I didn't misunderstand, but perhaps I didn't put that very clearly when I replied. What I meant was that I don't think anyone else will beat him to the trophy.

I totally agreed with you that Ropes should win it. Unlike you though, I have no doubt at all that he will win it, Jimmy's been good but I believe most will know he was not as consistent as Ropes this season. There are no other genuine candidates for me this time round.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Isnt that against regulations taking a camera inside a football ground? I am sure I have seen signs at Bescot saying cameras are not allowed in Bescot or any football ground.

By dpw (81.131.95.133) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Dunno, but a few people took them into the stadium last against Bradford last season to snap the old GA stand and nobody said anything.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.176) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Don't you start talking about breaking regulations Sheff, Cannock to Birmingham in about 8 minutes on Good Friday wasn't it, if I recall your post from that day correctly ?

I think they call it "Low Flying" and it usually involves an automatic ban mate !

By SheffieldSaddler (217.33.133.2) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 08:22 am: Edit

19 minuutes Geoff! Your memory is shocking at times! Dont forget next Wednesday.....

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.175) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 09:19 am: Edit

I knew really, but 8 minutes sounded like at least 175 mph to me, which had more impact !

Nothing wrong with my memory mate.

By the way, what's happening next Wednesday ?

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Did anybody else read the Grimsby program and think 'Thank Christ for Andrew Poole'.
£2.50 and it is utter rubbish, the crowning turd in the water pipe being some pathetic spoof column inches [geddit!!] by Mandy Mariner.

By Alan No Mates (213.48.83.56) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

You were overcharged Tim - £2.20

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Your correct Alan....I have a tendancy to exagerate, as any of my ex girlfriends will testify.

By singular saddler (62.31.204.211) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

your ex girlfriend, Tim.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Damn it, sussed again!

By Mrs Wilkes (213.165.1.130) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 03:53 pm: Edit

Don't worry, Tim, you can meet some of my "work colleagues" from Caldmore. Very obliging girls!

By Peter Wilkes (195.137.44.98) on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

Something for the weekend, Sir?

By Ted Wilkes (203.96.111.237) on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 07:05 am: Edit

Stope embarrassing the family name! You're no brother of mine!

Return to 2002-03 Season