Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Portsmouth (h) - League - 5th April 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Portsmouth (h) - League - 5th April 2003

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:09 am

By Steve Roy (81.77.252.172) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

cracking effort second half from the lads - the editorial did the trick!

By hullsaddler (212.50.182.71) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Thought we were going to be humiliated at 2-0 but I thought it was a tremendous effort in the 2nd half.Never thought portsmouth would be hanging on like that.We just needed that bit of extra luck in the box.I know it's 3 defeats but I feel if we play like that from now on ,then despite results elsewhere today then we still will be okay

By Dave Gittins (195.92.194.15) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

I felt we were very unlucky based on our second half showing, forcing Portsmouth to hang on for their win.
Brilliant goal line clearance from Roper. Hislop clearly handled the ball outside the area - maybe not a sending off offence but it would have definately given us a good scoring opportunity.

I felt Rednap was very patronising when asked about our performance today, dismissing us as though we only turned up to make the numbers up.

A couple more performances like today and we will stay up, no bother.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.174) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Agree with all the above, excellent fight back after conceding two bad goals, and the result was better than I expected, if it's possible to say that about a defeat.

For both Pompey goals I thought Bazeley was at fault, not sharp enough to get a foot in when he had good opportunities in the build up to both. He wasn't on his own though. For the first goal there were several at fault, Sonner followed Harper but just let him run and run, no-one actually got in a challenge, which is something that has cost us a few times this season. I felt a bit sorry for 'sick-note' though, slipping as he tried to make a block on Harper, to leave a clear path for the shot into the corner.

Junior did well to close down their defender, before making good use of Jorge's knock-on to pull one back out of the blue, to set-up an exciting second-half.

We came back well second half, it's just a bit frustrating that we don't quite have that quality, that edge, in and around the box. One or two decent opportunities went begging as a result.

Maybe we saw the most amazing miss of the season and the most amazing goal-line clearance of the season all rolled into one today - Merson and Roper, what a combination !

And that punch outside the box - not to mention that Hislop was climbing all over Wrack as he went up for it. Based on past experience, I doubt if Jimmy would have got away with that ! A free-kick on the edge of the box, Junior, who knows what might have happened ?

All in all Pompey are clearly different class, as they should be, but I thought we put on a good show today, and not much harm done to the goal difference was another plus.

We should be able to take something from this showing, if only CL can galvanise the lads into more performances with the level of commitment they showed today, we'll be OK.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Three points from Gillingham next Saturday- that's the message!!

By cal's a saddler (81.131.73.202) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Thought we were in for a real pasting today particularly after first half showing! Thank the Lord for Junior though I did think he had lost the ball before putting it past Hislop!

Thought the second half performance deserved at least a draw and if only the ref had given us a little help with a definite free kick after Hislop tried to punch Wrack's lights out maybe we would have got a point.

Thought Sonner had really good game today and hope CL gives him a chance to play the rest of the season coz he's got to be better than o'connor at the moment!! Mind I would like to know what was behind him throwing his shirt into the purple end at the end of the game Is that his goodbye or what ?

Just hope we can play with the passion of the second half for the rest of the season then we might just live to fight another day!

Come on you saddlers!!

By jonny (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

good to see the lads playing with passion today. Wheres it been the last three months? I think we will stay up but I fear it will go to the last game at Wednesday. If we show the same commitment at the Gills next week we should get a point at least. The question is will they show that commitment next week? I have my doubts! As for Sonner it looks like he has played his last game for us judging by the shirt incident

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

First half we were a disgrace, never in the hunt. It was embarrasing at times when Portsmouth passed to each other at will without one Walsall player trying to harrass them. Shocking.
Then in the second half we came out with passion. Thought Sonner also had a good game, MOM for me. How did they make Junior MOM by the way? Was they only judging it on goals scored, because apart from that he was useless.
Really sums us up though one half bottom of the league performance, other half top of league performance. Sums up our season really.
If only we could find some consistency!
If only we could come out with passion!

By cal's a saddler (81.135.118.155) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

If only we could find some pace!!

By TheFridge (213.122.51.177) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 10:48 pm: Edit

I thought we had a great opening 10 mins... then Pompey score with their first attack due to the midfield not challenging the man on the ball.
The goal knocked us out of our stride a bit.

I thought Carbon was immense today...showing the form that he showed week in last season.

I also thought we looked good when we moved to 3 at the back with Zig and Baze at wingbacks...although i cant understand why people wanted Pedro on when we were playing 3-5-2...where was he going to play? Left wingback? be serious.

Overall a positive performance second half and the opening 10 mins of the first...no points however and at this stage that is what matters.

By Consistent Saddler (217.44.83.88) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Sheff, surely you noticed Corica's consistency?

Crap before half time and after half time.

By Tactical Genius Saddler (217.44.83.88) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

The problem with switching to the wing back formation is that neither Zigor nor Bazeley seem to be able to play quality balls into the final third, resulting in a lack of penetration in their box (ooh err missus).

I would play Matias as a left wing-back in preference to Zigor any day.

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.9) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Todays game just goes to show that money still talks even when theres not too much of it about, thoroughly outclassed for 35 minutes of the 1st half, no passion, fight or commitment, who was supposed to be marking Merson and Sherwood, I must admit I was that bored watching all those pompey passes and listening to the olays, that I almost missed Juniors goal missed the mistakes that led to it just saw the ball go in off the post.
Much better in the 2nd half, pressurised them far more, upped our tempo and tried to take the game to them a little more, still felt that Pompey could move up another gear if required, still if we can show the same level of commitment for the remainder of the season we should secure the 6 or 7 points we require for safety.
Going back to my first point, I wonder just how much a week Pompey are paying the likes of Merson, Stone, Sherwood, Hislop, Todorov etc, Stone was on 28K a week at the Villa and Sherwood reportedly £35k a week, now your not telling me they've took a 15-20K a week pay cut to play for Pompey, thats the reason why they're where they are and we are were we are now.
PS at the same stage last season we were 2nd from bottom and Portsmouth were only three or four places higher up the table - how times change.

By Paul G (62.31.220.17) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

After showing us all how well they can play it will be criminal if they go to Gillingham and play like they have in the last few away day nightmares. For all the hard work we put in it still seems ridiculously easy to score past us at times. I'm hoping this will change over the last few games as Danny Hay returns to steady the ship.

A good word for Gavin Ward - looked steady and despite some wayward balls out in the 1st half his early distribution of the ball was good to see.

A bad word for whoever it was who threw the bottles onto the pitch at the end and at Harper when he scored. This is why we have to suffer our coca cola being poured into a plastic beaker in the purple stand.

By hullsaddler (213.249.172.54) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 06:57 am: Edit

Jonny.What was the shirt incident with Sonner?

By Esso (62.31.216.91) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 08:01 am: Edit

Hull,
He threw his shirt into the Alsop at the end of the game. Draw your own conclusions.

By Shifnalsaddler (213.1.45.10) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 10:10 am: Edit

Pompey are a better team than us, but no excuse for being so shambolic first half.

Bazeley left unprotected against Harper first half, we could all see him struggling, Roper kept moving over to help to leaving us short in the middle, took Lee 45 mins to sort it and move Wrack to the right. Why? Wrack did an excellent job marking Harper at Fratton, so he should have been on the same flank today, surely.

How many times this season has Corica played 90 minutes? It seems a regular thing home and away that he gets taken off after an hour or so. Why does Lee persist with him?

First half Pompey slaughtered us, Redknapp must have been furious to have only a 2-1 lead, second half much better, could have got something but didn't, how many times have we said that this season. We rattled 'em second half, they didn't like it up 'em.

We made it too easy for them first half by getting tactics wrong and showing too much respect, why do we have to be losing before getting things sorted and then stepping up a gear.

The second half level of commitment for the rest of the season should net us 9 or 10 points, but will we get it?

By Ian Gittins (217.40.212.247) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 11:26 am: Edit

I agree that Sonner played well, but still think midfield is where our problems lie. From the many permutations we have - O'Connor, Samways, Sonner, Simpson, Matias, Wrack, Robinson, Corica - I still haven't a clue what the best combination is, although I do think Pedro gives us something the rest don't: even in the three minutes he had yesterday he tricked a man and got to the byline, something Wrack last did in about 1999.

If we're not going to give Matias a run, I hope Lawrence makes a difference as a run-at-defenders winger who might prove an outlet.

Agree with Geoff that Bazeley was at fault for both goals yesterday, but overall I thought we played pretty decent second-half. Six points clear, six games to go... the usual squeaky-bum time will now follow...

By Shifnalsaddler (213.120.56.33) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 04:29 pm: Edit

Ian, Ian, stop with the bad things about Wracky, you know it upsets me. I think you are unfair on him anyway, he is asked to do a job by Lee and he does it. That job is not to stay wide and forward and attack the byline. If you don't like the role Wrack plays, then have a go at Lee.

Agree Pedro gives us something no one else at the club does, but as Lee doesn't seem to like wingers (not touchline huggers anyway), that something is largely irrelevant.

Bazeley at fault, maybe, but I still feel Lee cocked it up by not putting someone in front to help him, that someone obviously being Wrack. Harper and his pace, was always likely to be a threat, how come this took our manager by surprise?

Different fans see it different ways Ian (God that's profound) and I still think the biggest problem is up front, we need players who can win and keep possession, especially as there is little pace in the rest of the team. A Goodman/Rambo/Steiner/Alan Lee/Rich Sadlier/Trevor Benjamin type of player. We'd gain so much more of the ball we could really start to impose on teams, and the pressure would be off the defence a great deal, and the other striker (Jorge presumably) could relax knowing he would get a fair bit of the ball near or in the area.

Midfield we have several players who have thousands of games at this level under their belts. I don't see it as a problem, but the fact they win the ball, play it forwards and then two seconds later they have to try and win it again is a problem.

By Shifnalsaddler (213.120.56.33) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 04:43 pm: Edit

You realise I meant thousands of games between them, just thought I'd get in before some pedant queries it. Although as that pedant is so often me, perhaps I was safe anyway.

By popperpancake (81.77.129.209) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Second half was great. I thought lee made an error playing so narrow in the first half. Stone, and particularly harper had acres of space to exploit. Agree about the strikers, we do need someone who can hold it up. Junior doesn't do it, but to be fair to him he's not that kind of player. Leitao is capable of it i think but too often doesn't do it. Either way it causes us problems. I thought junior was dangerous yesterday, maybe not man of the match but far better than jorge. Samways had a good game too i thought. Just hope we play the same at gills. Hopefully wolves and rotherham do us a favour b4 then otherwise it could be very tight by the time we run out at the priestfield.

By popperpancake (81.77.129.209) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Where were all the supporters tho? Pathetic turnout.

By Stu (195.92.67.67) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Popper, surely you expected that sort of turn out. I didn't think there was a cat in hells chance of a 10,000+ crowd. With the match being on Sky and us playing as we are, the floating fans were always going to stay at home. They'd have made up 1000+...

As for the performnace. First half was a lesson in how to play possession football, go back, go sideways, just keep possession. Eventually, a gap will appear and forward you can go. We were also blind to the obvious. They constantly switched flanks and we didn't become aware of that. As soon as we went, what looked like, 3-5-2 at the start of the 2nd half we stopped them doing that.

If we can maintain that 45 minutes next week, we'll get something.

Oh, and Junior MOTOM? They were kidding, I thought Carbon and Roper were superb and Samways and Sonner did very well considering that were up against two former England internationals.

One final point on Sonner. Seeing him throw his shirt into the fans after the match gave me the feeling that he knows he is on his way out... Shame, after a slow start he has really impressed me and I think we should be looking to keep hold of him. Espeically when you consider Robinson & Samways are back off to respective homes, O'Connor is 35 and Simpson hasn't looked the same player since getting a contract.

By popperpancake (81.77.67.36) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Just dissapointed with the turnout. I hadn't really thought about it b4 hand, but even taking into account the sky coverage i still thought it was poor.

By DF (193.237.102.207) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 07:02 am: Edit

If we hadn't built them up to be Real Madrid-esque before the game perhaps the players wouldn't have been so over respectful / frightened (delete as appropriate)
Did well second half but you can't give a side like that a 2 goal start

By ding a ling (213.86.175.69) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 09:31 am: Edit

has anyone else still got that stupid bell ringing noise in their heads?? so annoying.

did anyone see the hislop punch incident on tv?? was it stupidly blatant, and what did the commentators make of it.
as soon as i saw that Mathieson was the ref, i knew it wasnt going to be good. good second half performance, just needed that bit of luck re: zigors drilled effort, the cross that droppd to the feet of our attckers and was missed, a few 6 yard box pinball efforts, and hislop incident.

and the gent responsible for the harper/bottle incident was stood next to me. i think it was just a very quick reaction, and it wasnt that good a shot either...

just a few more points please. we're better than those below us. think it will be down to the wire though.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.174) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 09:33 am: Edit

"Give" being quite definitely the operative word DF. Both goals were quite avoidable if Bazeley in particular had put his foot IN instead of putting it half-in and pulling it OUT again.

Watch the video, I just couldn't understand that, two non-challenges, two gift goals.

The sight of Sonner chasing in Harper's footsteps, making no attempt to to get ahead of him or get a challenge in, wasn't too impressive either. Was that just complacency, or just a sign of Sonner's lack of pace - or both ?

Then again, our goal came from an awful defensive error, so it would hardly be right to describe any of the three as good goals, although they could be called "good finishes".

I'd also add that overall I thought Sonner had a good game.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 10:23 am: Edit

Bit harsh on Bazeley I think there Geoff.

The first goal was down to about 5 players. Harper picked the ball up and just ran, Bazeley and Sonner weren't quick enough but you have to ask why the centre halves in particular just backed off him. He ran 30 yards and shot without a challenge, if either of the back two had at least gone towards him they'd have made him do something. As it was, he didn't have to do anything but run with the ball and shoot. He was simply too quick for Bazeley or Sonner to get a tackle in, without risking a yellow card.

As for the 2nd, again, Sherwood's flick was too intelligent, Bazeley pulled out because Sherwood would have hit the deck if he'd left his foot in there. You could just as easily ask why Wrack was standing still when Sherwood came short, if Wrack had followed him he wouldn't have had the space to create such a chance. Bazeley might have been able to do better, but so could Wrack... And you then have to ask why a striker like Todorov, 18 goals before Saturday and superb in the air, was unmarked 6 yards out from goal.

You could put the finger at 2/3 players on each goal, alternatively, you could just say Pompey were that bit quicker, that bit fitter and had that movement (Todorov) and vision (Harper) to create the chances. Depends how you look at it I spose.

As you say though, three defensive mistakes led to three goals. And cheers for the pint.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 11:03 am: Edit

Does anyone have the full video of Juniors fantastic rant after he scored his goal? His gesturing towards Carbon looked great from the deserted GA standing area...I hope it got good coverage on SKY?
I thought we got 2 of Steve Roys possible match scenarios - murdered 1st half, great battling performace 2nd half.
Jorge had a poor game, though I was not one of the people who decided to boo him once Corica had left the pitch.

By George (195.92.168.163) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 11:11 am: Edit

Popper there was stilla bigger home turnout than there was for the Blues (non-televised) game last year. We are progressing.

By Cockerney Saddler (212.82.80.2) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 11:45 am: Edit

I agree with most peoples' points about the game.
However, I think this lacking passion thing is absolute rubbish. We started off well, got at them a little bit, but then we started to run about like headless chickens. We looked as though we were lacking some serious confidence.
As a few people have said, Bazeley was left exposed and wasn't sharp enough for the goals (although he's had an excellent season), the midfield was all over the place and that's when Portsmouth's superiority kicked in.
I thought Sonner was poor today and has been for most of the season – he lacks pace and gives the ball away far too easily. I don't think it's really worked out for him here and he's really disappointed me.
Second half, we played with the same 'passion' as the first half but the players we working together in a better system that allowed them to get closer to the Pompey players and get stuck in. Corica though, pretty tame (again).
Great to see Carbon have a really good game – about time! Roper's goal line clearance was just sensational.
We need to carry this kind of performance on to Gillingham and beyond. I took my dad to the game and he made a really good point – it seems we play better against teams who like to play football.
All in all though, a really good game of football.

By D Willatt (62.171.194.37) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 12:13 pm: Edit

A cracking peformence in the second half from the lads, Portsmouth strugled in the second period as we put the pressure on.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.234) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 01:29 pm: Edit

According to the SaddlersNet messageboard Sonner has walked out today. This is just a rumour (and not any sort of inside information).

I couldn't believe the sponsors gave the MOTM to Junior. They must have been too busy munching on the free sarnies to make an informed decision so they gave it to the goalscorer instead. Carbon was surely the MOTM ? He must have had a good game to impress me !!!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Yes Dave, Carbon did have a good game and was my MoM. He was also the only player out of 4 or 5 who tried to put in a challenge on Harper when he scored the first goal, unfortunately as Carbon went to do that he slipped and couldn't get an attempted block in.

In fact quite a few players were slipping about on Saturday if my memory serves me correctly, I wonder why that was.

Stu, yes I agree I was maybe a bit harsh on Bazeley, but I made the comments after watching the game again on video, which suggested to me that for each goal Bazeley had the best opportunity to get a tackle in. If Wrack had taken Sherwood in the corner of the box it may well have ended with a penalty, Bazeley had a better opportunity as Sherwood stumbled, but he didn't react and move for the ball, allowed Sherwood to recover his balance and go past him - the video clearly shows he went as if to tackle then pulled out, maybe conceding a penalty was in his mind too.

So Bazeley didn't tackle and I blamed him for that, but you make a valid point that other defenders failed to close down Harper's run (I've already made the point that Sonner just chased in his footsteps) and no-one really marked Todorov for the header. Whoever the defender was on Todorov's shoulder, he needed to be ball-side to intercept, but he was goal-side which made it easy for Todorov to pick his spot with clinical precision.

For sure, no-one in this division can allow players of Pompey's quality to have that sort of space and expect to get away with it.

Entertaining game though, I wasn't really too disappointed as I expected us to lose anyway, and if anything I was a bit relieved it was only 1-2 so the goal diff. suffered little. That's virtually worth an extra point to us right now so it needs preserving as far as possible.

It was nice to have the chance to meet up at last on Saturday, I enjoyed the drink, cheers. Maybe I'll get to say more next time, hopefully by then my voice will have returned !

By good work fellah (62.31.204.211) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Looking at the official site i presume Junior's rant was to do with the "Jesus is peace" t shirt he wore under his shirt.

I thought it was illegal now to wear slogans that could be displayed. Well done the official site for making this public to the authorities.

By popperpancake (81.134.200.40) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Interesting to see the differing views on Junior's performance. Seems a lot of people on here weren't too impressed. But it seems CL was impressed (judging by the offical site). I have already said i thought he had a good game, and people i know who don't watch walsall regularly (if at all) but watched it on the box thought he was excellent. Strange how people can have such differing views. I like him as it goes. Don't care if he can't head and struggles to hold it up sometimes. Jorge has frustrated me greatly this year, i am positive he can do much better.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.234) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Isn't it strange how different we all see things ? I would much rather have Leitao on the pitch (who generally works his b******s off) than Junior (who ain't interested unless the ball lands at his feet).

Isn't it strange to be talking about football again ?

Geoff, are you at work today ? I e-mailed you there. Not too important so don't worry.

By Ulster Saddler (212.3.176.14) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Watched the game in a pub in Dundalk with most people still talking about Liverpool Man Utd. Here are my views:

1. First goal was like the parting of the red sea."somebody hit him" I shouted before he put the ball in the net.

2. Good skill by Sherwood for the second goal made look better by Bazeley committing himself instead of guiding Sherwood away from the goal. That said, the marking for the header was shocking.

3. Cracking finish by Junior for the goal.

4. Great second half performance and they could not have complained had we got a point.

5. I agree that there looked on TV like quite a few spaces on our terraces

6. If we play like that vs Gillingahm we should at least get a point.

7. Definition of silence - the pub I was in when I jumped up for our goal and everyone looking at me thinking "whats he getting so excited about"

UP THE SADDLERS

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.168) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Dave, no I've not been in in the office today, still recovering from flu and working from home instead.

Can you please send it again on :

[email protected]

or I won't get it until Wednesday.

By Salop Saddler (213.78.100.8) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Ulster, Snap mate! I was in Glasgow for the Scottish Greyhound Derby Final and watched the match at the track. when Junior scored me and this little bloke with no teeth gave out a roar of delight. I don't know who he was, but good on him all the same!

I thought we ran them ragged in the second half and more than deserved a point, and, based on that performance, one or two questions will need to be answered if we don't go a long way to securing our first division place over the course of the next three matches.

That aside I had the pleasure of buying a drink for, and having a chat with Alex Taylor who was there with a couple of mates.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 09:51 am: Edit

What is Alex Taylor up to now? In that brief perioud of time he had with us, he was class. I still think that season could have been so different if we hadn't lost him to that injury, didn't we also lose Shakey at the same time to a long-ish injury.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.31.216.13) on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

No, it was that totally useless blond haired twerp we bought from Notts County!

By the way, 1st half Saturday wasn't about no passion, it was about showing them too much respect. Half time, I suspect Lee pointed out that, despite having 60% or more of the possession, they hadn't had a real shot on target apart from the two goals (big difference, I know).

By Salop Saddler (213.78.96.62) on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Taylor was class. He ball's up his knee training on Oldhams bloody silly plastic pitch if you remember. He's coaching at Motherwell, plus he's involved in his father's retail business.

Neil, the blonde twot we signed from Nott's Co. was Mark Thingy...and I agree, he was crap!

By Salop Saddler (213.78.96.62) on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 02:24 pm: Edit

...Mark Goodwin. About the same level of footballing ability as Ken Goodwin but not as funny, and on a scale of 1-10 Ken Goodwin rated zero in terms of comedic ability.

By popperpancake (81.77.247.196) on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Always thought he was a bit, no a lot, of a ponce goodwin. Taylor was great tho.

By Ian Gittins (213.165.1.130) on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Who was that other ineffective blond midfielder? Kenny Beech. He wasn't much cop, either.

By flownswift (64.103.37.72) on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 03:47 pm: Edit

didn't we sign goodwin from somewhere (birmingham city maybe) already crocked? I remember seeing our new signing struggling through the turnstiles at fellows park with crutches.

By Salop Saddler (213.78.99.214) on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 11:19 pm: Edit

No Flownswift, we signed Goodwin from Notts Co, the chap you're thinking of WAS signed from Blues tho. A very murky episode courtesy of a certain Mr. Wheldon (and he should have been) I seem to recall. The players name escapes me for the moment, but the deal came about at the time when Wheldon (and he should have been) had a foot in both camps, Wheldon (and he should have been) being chairman of Birmingham, having, upon his departure, installed Jack Harris as his puppet supremo at Fellows Park. A bit of backdoor asset striping best described it, with Blues offloading a wrecked nail upon us for around £150,000 I think the figure was.

By freda greaves (195.93.49.12) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 03:43 am: Edit

Was it Armstrong?

By freda greaves (195.93.49.12) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 04:41 am: Edit

Regarding the Hislop hand ball.

A Nationwide ref informs us, Phil Don tells linos "offsides and line decisions only,leave the
rest to the ref".

Don't know if this is common knowledge,or even if he'd admit it. But.....food for thought.

By Moaning Saddler (194.196.24.194) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Ken Armstrong was that man.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Neil Armstrong was out of this world.....I'll get me coat.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.234) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:01 pm: Edit

I always like players who have a low centre of gravity...Is my coat with yours Tim ?

By Kenny Jackett (213.165.1.130) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 04:03 pm: Edit

No, they're both under that green one.

By Exile (203.97.2.242) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Finally saw a game so feel able to comment objectively.

The Sky overseas commentary team were a total disappointment. It was clear from the outset that the only players they knew at the outset were Junior and Wrack, as no one else was named until well into the match. First half commentary went something like this:

Portsmouth get the ball
- first time "they're stamping their authority on the game"
- second "they're gearing up for something big"
- 3rd "goal"
- 4th "stamping authority" again
- 5th "this is a very good team"
- 6th "Walsall can't get near them"
- 7th "Burton was never offside" (he clearly was)
- 8th "they're well on top"
- 9th "Walsall are backing off again - goal"
- 10th "It is very tiring for Walsall chasing a football they can't get near - Junior, Junior, Junior - GOAL, that's 2-1 and they're back in it"

Of course, during this time Walsall had as much posession, control and attacks as Portsmouth had, at least to my jaundiced eye. Overall I thought we matched them in most areas, although their passing was definitely crisper for much of the match.

First goal - after everyone let Harper through thought Ward made a very poor effort to stop the goal, but never mind.

Second goal - average first division cross and goal. See who was the last man in the way trying to stop the header? Aranalde.

Our goal - sensational "robbery" leading to it, after Portsmouth had strung together about 20 passes.

Our players of note:

Junior was seriously lazy in the first 45 minutes, but bucked his ideas up after the break.

Aranalde had a blinder - was all over the pitch - up providing crosses, then sprinting back to defend. If he is so bad why did most of Portsmouth's attacking play come down the middle or our right side? He also had a great half chance in the second half.

Wrack - ran well, distributed effectively.

Roper - super goal line clearance - how stupid must Merson feel watching that.

Hay got in some good challenges - most notably stepping on Quashie(?)'s foot, stopping him dead, which the ref missed completely.

On that handball from Shaka - he knew he'd done wrong. He knew. Climbed all over Wrack, handled outside the area, ran away sheepishly, looking at the ref. Got away with it!

The best thing about our goal was that it was that Ginger Aussie defender's fault - Foxe. Loser.

Matias was fantastic when he came on. Maybe because his legs were fresher, but he was causing all sorts of problems for Portsmouth.

Anyone else notice Bazeley's great stepovers? Not quite Marsh, but....

Most disappointing - Leitao.

Finally two words to describe Harry Redknapp - nice mullett.

Cheers all
Exile

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Why is everyone so against Redknapp? He has done a good job for gods sake. Yes, he has had the money to spend but you still need to spend it well and get the right players. I say well done to him.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 09:11 am: Edit

It's the fact that everyone goes on about what a good job he did at West Ham. Look at the number of absolute nails he bought on high wages, and the very small number who came off. Of the foreign players he got in, how many are still playing for West Ham? It's just that he's got a reputation he doesn't deserve.

By popperpancake (81.134.198.194) on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 11:16 am: Edit

I agree Neil.

By flownswift (64.103.37.72) on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 12:27 pm: Edit

yeah, I mean who on earth would sign samassi abou at highly inflated wages. I doub't he could even make it in Div 1, let alone the premier!

By Colin Lee (213.120.56.33) on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 07:26 am: Edit

I hear Abou can't head the ball, has no pace, can't shoot and is really lazy - how much will he cost and when can I have him?

By Messex (194.216.169.33) on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 08:30 am: Edit

As soon as you get rid of Steve Corica ;}

By Jorge14 (195.93.49.12) on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Although Harry Redknapp does make cr@p foreign signings he is a quality bloke. IE he let me go into the West Ham changing room before he FA Cup game at Bescot a couple of years back to get my Stuart Pearce autobiography signed and I met "stars" such as Frank Lampard (Junior And Senior), John Moncur (legend...;-)), Kanoute, Big Shaka "still speaks with a West Indian accent despite living in and around LOndon for over 10 years" Hislop and of course Psycho himself.

So actually Harry is a legend!

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 04:01 am: Edit

I like watching West Ham, they might be down at the bottom, but they are great to watch.
On the other hand, WBA, Sunderland, Charlton, B'ham, and a few others are crap to watch.
Is the carry over from Harry responsible for this?
I think so.
All of them are characters from Repka to James to Di Canio to Cole.
Rednapp admitted to buying a couple of players on the strength of agent's video's.
To me he's a classic, an ornament on the game.
Great to have him back in the Premiership.
As for Abou, when he first played he was like George Best.
I'm not sure what happened to him, maybe it all got coached out of him, but he was a very exciting prospect.

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 04:04 am: Edit

And if you think we've got 'sicknotes', what about Kanoute, Hutchison and other classics they have had?
Leading contenders for the Darren Anderton/Duncan Ferguson Trophy.

By D Ferguson (194.70.199.62) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 08:29 am: Edit

I'll fight you all for it !

By Tony Daley (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 10:09 am: Edit

So will I.

By Tyne Daley (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 10:13 am: Edit

Was I Cagney or Lacey

By Tyne Brand (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 10:14 am: Edit

My pies are good

By Jo Brand (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 10:15 am: Edit

I'll vouch for that

Pelsall_Saddler

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:13 pm

This was my first ever game as a Walsall supporter! I was so happy and I still have good memories of the game viewing from the Banks's stand! :D

Return to 2002-03 Season