Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crystal Palace (a) - League - 22nd March 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Crystal Palace (a) - League - 22nd March 2003

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:08 am

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Well it was there for the taking. Palace were poor, and I mean poor. What did we do? Gave 2 pens away and got 2 men sent off. O'Connor has only himself to blame. I admire the guy for his enthusiasm but he persists in arguing with the ref- so booked for dissent. Next it a heavy foul and we have 9 men. Even with 10 men we might have pulled something out of it but with 9 no hope. Poor game. Shambles is the feeling I came away with. We need 3 points next Saturday, that's for sure.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.208) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 07:32 pm: Edit

And under the rules of what has become the norm this season Surrey you would certainly get 3 points next Saturday, and the nice comfy 8 or 9 point gap restored. Unfortunately, next week's game is off, and the week after we kick off late, so by the time Colin's kamikazees kick another ball in anger Stoke will have played Gillingham and Rotherham at home, Derby - Millwall and Norwich at home, Sheff Wed - Watford and Wimbledon at home, Brighton - Palace at home and Reading away. Grimsby also skip a week next time, but then go to Leicester and play Wolves midweek at home. So fasten your seatbelts its time to suffer one of those self inflicted Walsall end of season months. But it'll be alrite in the end! I can really see Stoke getting out of it now mind, their run in is a piece of p!ss.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.177) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Those three points next week could be a very hard call Surrey, and I think therein may lie a big problem for us now.

Coventry game next Saturday 29th March has been postponed to mid-April due to their players on international duties, therefore definitely nil points next week. I think Sjoke, Grimsby, Sheff W, Brighton, and Derby too, have all been away today so should be at home next week, so a good chance for all of them to make up ground. I haven't checked their actual fixtures though, hopefully they'll be playing one another !

Then Saturday 5th April, it's Portsmouth at home, so there's a good chance of Nil points from that game too - maybe one if we're lucky - but no way can I see us getting all three.

Then on to Saturday 12th April, away at Gillingham, rarely a happy-hunting ground for us, potentially Nil or maybe one point if we can get it together.

So by the time we are at home again, for the re-arranged game against Coventry on Tuesday April 15th, we could really have them breathing down our necks and the nerves could be jangling. If things go really badly we could even have strayed into the bottom three by then, though I must say I doubt it.

This is now beginning to look like going down to the wire, what a different scene from a week ago !

Add to all of this the three suspensions coming up, Wakker, Robinson and O'Connor, and this is turning into a nightmare right now.

Suggestion on Radio WM was that Robinson was unlucky to get sent off, they said it looked a yellow at the most and they were amazed by the straight red card - did you see the incident ?

But I am absolutely incensed with O'Connor, getting that first yellow for dissent - YET AGAIN ! - as our Captain what a poor disciplinary example he sets. OK, the yellow for the tackle may be forgiveable, but this dissent is futile and he's done it loads of times before - won't he ever learn ?

I'm very very unhappy tonight, the commentary suggested that the game was there for the taking, and that the way we threw it away was criminal.

Once again easy chances for Jorge and Junior went begging, frankly I still don't believe either of them is really good enough as a striker in this division. We can't afford to miss chances this way in Division One, we don't punish teams anywhere near enough.

Oh well, come on Sheff, Geordie, Paul G, give me back something to cling on to

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.177) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

You beat me to it Geordie by answering my question before I'd posted it - thanks for the fixtures.

I wanted you to put me back on track - now your suggestion that Sjoke will stay up only makes this miserable day complete !

By Shifnalsaddler (62.7.148.230) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

I don't think our record at Gillingham is that bad, a few wins there over the years, 98, 95, 88, a couple in the early eighties, some draws too. But when we do lose there..........we lose horribly, so the goal difference could take a hammering.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.181.162.87) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Geoff look at our last 5 matches. Coventry at home, Norwich at home, Grimsby away, Derby at home and Wednesday away. I reckon we will get a minimum of 7 points from this, leaving us on 50 points. To get to this mark Wednesday must pick up 19 points from the last 21! IMPOSSIBLE! Brighton must pick up 14 points from the last 21! IMPOSSIBLE! and either Grimsby or Sjoke must pick up 13 points from last 21. IMPOSSIBLE!
We are staying up. Say we are staying up.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.74) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 08:41 pm: Edit

I'm going to Gillingham away, so we will definately lose. Although I did see the win there in 98.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.173) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Sheff, that was pathetic ! Response time 32 minutes, I could have slit my wrists, throat, hung myself, everything in that length of time.

Luckily at a critical stage of my plunge into depression I was dragged away by my better 'arf to the Chinese Take Away, just in the nick of time. Having eaten then logged on again to seek comfort, your post about those last five games has given me the necessary lift - well at least I think it has.

Thank you, but please try not to take so bl**dy long next time ! You need to realise that these things are urgent.

By Lee Fieldhouse (80.195.89.110) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Robinson was unlucky to get sent off, but that's our luck at the moment. Question his inclusion anyway. Agree about O'Connor, great captain but needs to keep trap shut. Also Ropers handball for second penalty was amazing. He jumped and punched it clear, what he was thinking only he knows. I'm starting to get a little worried, but hopefully we'll be ok.

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.27) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 12:28 am: Edit

Listened to the very sparse updates on Radio DingleM, sorry WM, and it sounded like we should definitely have got something from the game, plenty of possession against a poor, out of form, injury/suspension hit Palace team (their first home win in 8 games I believe), why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot, that's four penalties we've given away in three games and the sendings off are becoming a joke.
Also didn't hear any walsall fans on the Radio DingleM post match reaction but there were a lot of text's all saying the same thing - Bonsor must sack Colin Lee - Crazy, we're beginning to sound like dingle fans, have faith he'll keep us up, get rid of the dead wood and improve the squad for next season.
Did shuker get on the field today, must be his last game for the club, can't really see us keeping him hasn't impressed me and could only make the bench again today, send him back, ship Sonnor and Driller out and get Branch and Akinbyi in til the end of the season.
Agree with Sheff about our last five games, but I'm gonna stick my neck out and be ultra optimistic and forecast a tight 1-0 or 2-1 win against Pompey, for a couple of reasons, firstly they are due a defeat, and secondly their record at the Bescot is not very good over the years and we normally get a result against them, as we do against Burnley (won) and Norwich historically

By hullsaddler (212.50.177.187) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 10:47 am: Edit

Obviously the club believes that we would all get bored if we are mathematically safe before the end of the season, so the last 2 performances are a way of keeping us all interested.
I know that realistically we should only need a couple of wins, but looking at the league table this morning does make for stressful reading.Still any of the clubs below us would envy our position,so let's hope they are not sitting in it by the time we kick off against Pompey

By sedgers (213.48.64.183) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 11:11 am: Edit

what the hell is going on!firstly i must question cl loan signings,pollet was unfit an only played a couple of times,emblem was the same,shuker looked good but he wont play him,cr just looks poor and samways just decent!the one player who looked class has signed 4 cardiff what does that say?and 4 £50,000, scandalous.now cl tactics,he admits after the millwall game that maybe that team should b only used 4 away games,as it did get us 4 pts from 6.so fair play 2 him he changed it 4 burnley and we play well and win.so what does he do 4 preston keeps it the same after already admitting we have a good away system last 2 away games and we get hammered.is it me or does any 1 else feel bewildered?

By Ian Gittins (217.40.209.150) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 11:27 am: Edit

It's always a bizarre experience to come on here and read player-by-player critiques of Walsall games by people who didn't actually, er, go to the match. Ah, well...

We deserved a point. 1-1 would have been a fair score. The line-up looked a little lop-sided, with essentially three holding midfielders in O'Connor, Samways and Robinson, and just Jorge up front, but in the first half we put together some nice passing moves and could easily have scored: Jorge hit the post.

Interestingly, Wrack was the ineffective huff-and-puffer he always seems to me (I know a lot of people rate him, but I just don't see it) whereas Pedro was our best creative outlet, linking well with Aranalde and beating his full-back. Leitao also ran his heart out and looked really sharp. I was too far away to see the penalty incident very well, but it looked a clumsy tackle.

In the second half, we took Pedro off and lost shape and balance. Roper's penalty was absurd: he leapt in the air and punched the ball. I know he's a good stopper, but there are still times he looks like a special needs case. Walker's save was fantastic, mind.

Robinson was near-invisible until the sending-off: he really clattered Gray, and had it been one of our players getting that treatment at Bescot, we'd have been baying for a red card, too. Thereafter, it got shapeless and scrappy. Samways was ineffectual and looked slow. Junior came on, got clean through and should have scored, O'Connor's red card was inevitable after his yellow for dissent, and Shuker had five minutes at the end and hardly saw the ball. Their second goal was just 11 men vs 9.

It was no disgrace, then: the players applauded the fans at the end and were deservedly clapped in return. Then I noticed some trouble threatening to kick off between the two sets of fans in Norwood High Street: I dunno if it did.

We didn't look like a team about to be relegated, but I don't think 4-5-1 is working (although it proved better than 4-3-1!): I'd put Junior or Shuker back up front with Jorge, and lose one of the holding midfielders.

By Shifnalsaddler (62.7.145.5) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 11:33 am: Edit

Sedgers, you aren't the only one to feel bewildered. Colin Lee does too.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.173) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Sedgers, I highlighted this same tactical mystery after the Preston game, I too am totally bewildered.

On another point, regardless of Robinson's apparently questionable value to the team (not an opinion, I'm just interpretting others' comments), we now have two key players in Wakker and Martin about to serve at least two-match suspensions as we approach key matches in the relegation fight - yes we are back in one - so this discipline issue is a real worry. Will Martin get a two match or three match ban, taking account of his record earlier this season - does anyone know ?

By salop saddler (213.78.126.15) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 04:59 pm: Edit

It'll almost cetainly be three game Geoff, which is a problem. I'm still not losing sleep about the situation as I think we'll almost certainly pick up at least six points from our remaining games...It next season that worries me.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 05:37 pm: Edit

I dont know what has happened reference Shucker. Against Bradford he terrorised them all match, against Rotherham he wasnt so effective but it was a completely different sort of game where we had to grind out a result. So what has happened since?
Personally I thought he was a great signing. Play him up front and obviously you will need to play to feet, which we really dont tend to do. I also thought he would make a decent winger, as he has got the pace and skill to take a player on and put a decent cross in.
So has I said before, what has happened?

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 05:41 pm: Edit

I also agree that Lee needs to sort out better loan signings. We seem to get them and not play them. Shucker is an example, so is Robinson, in and out of the team does us or them no good. Emblen wasnt fit, the guy from Sheffiled United didnt even play because he wasnt fit!
In my opinion the only reason you get someone on loan is because you are lacking that position in your current squad. They should be playing every game while on loan or what is the point of the loan in the first place?

By df (213.48.83.242) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

On that basis Sheff, can we loan a Manager then?

By Salop Saddler (195.92.194.13) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Sheff, I think CL could be awash with the fear factor. I feel he's going for the tried and tested approach rather than anything overly experimental. ie, Samways is a safe pair of feet, whereas Shucker is a bit of an unknown quantity. And it's here where I believe he's getting it wrong. I said last week that we are unable to fight back once we're behind, one of the reasons for that is that we don't have the players to change the course of a game. With his pace Sucker could do that for us, however CL chooses not to go with that. But I give way to his greater knowledge, and trust in his judgement. I pray that my confidence is not misplaced.

By Shifnalsaddler (213.1.45.2) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Apparently Colin Lee is furious at the referee. Now there's a surprise. I suppose there wasn't enough mud on the pitch for him to complain about that.
Stop making excuses Colin.
As for his comments about us not being a dirty side, I agree - we're just petty and ill-disciplined. Not that a manager can have any control over that of course.
Easier to blame the ref than admit his own failings as a manager.

By Salop Saddler (213.78.107.108) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 06:57 pm: Edit

I don't think that he's any more or less furious with the sub standard officials which currently plague the game, than any other manager. We have lost a degree of discipline in the past couple of weeks, and you're right, that's for him to sort out. There's no need for panic, nor fear. It'll be okay.

By cat3 (218.102.21.149) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 07:55 pm: Edit

We will do better next time around...

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Shifnal - Stop making excuses to jump on the CL out campaign. I think it is right for a manager to critise a referee if he feels justified in doing so, my god, referee standards this season have been the worst ever in my opinion. They get a way with murder and as soon as you critise you get the FA on your back.
And my final questiions Shifnal are this, I look forward to your answers.
1. If you sacked CL can you name a few managers you would replace him with?
2. Name me a more successful Walsall manager in say the last 20 years?

By Stu (195.92.67.68) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

As I've said before, you get what you pay for.

If your going to assemble a team of free transfers, rejects and players returning from injury then your going to struggle. Quite simple really.

Its not CLs fault that Roper feels the need to test out his basketball skills, its not Lee's fault that we've players who can fluff simple chances. Its not Lee's fault that the players don't keep possession. Its not Lee's fault that players can't pass to one another. Its not Lee's fault they can't communicate at times.

The negative tactics are Lee's fault mind you. Its all okay for him to say "Reading and Burnley also play 4-5-1", but Reading and Burnley have pace in their sides, Reading have frightening pace. We on the other hand have a complete lack of pace.

People are saying we need a clear out if we stay up. Can I say we had a clear out last season? This side is Lee's side and although I do feel he has been let down a lot by the players this season, the buck does stop with him.

But if he were to leave and we were to bring in another manager. We'll probably be saying exactly the same thing at this stage next season, as long as we try to do it on the cheap we'll be stuck here.

I'm not saying spend millions. Rotherham have spent close on £600k in the last 2/3 seasons, its got them much further than the free transfers and injury hit players have got us.

I don't know whether its Lee, the players or a combination of both. But, I do know that something isn't right at Bescot and I have to say, if it weren't for the lack of consistency below us then I'd be very worried. Brighton and Grimsby may have drawn on Saturday, but they need wins not draws. We'll stay up, but only coz the sides below us are very poor, next season could be a different story unless we really start to show some ambition whether it be in transfer fee's or wages.

By Porto Saddler (62.31.219.204) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Unlucky not to take something from today Palace were not at thier best and were certainly there to be shot at. Not happy about today but still think realistically that we will be ok. Saw Robinson incident on Sky again and he had his eye on the ball and unlucky to be sent off in my eyes. No grumbles over MO'C's sending off.

Also why defenders back off so much i do not know. If defenders are going to bring forwards such as freedman down then bring em down outside the box rather that inside. After all there's less chance of scoring from 20yrds than from the spot. Just out of interest what's happened to Sonner he hasn't done anything wrong in my eyes and should at least be in contention. I appreciate what Sonner does for the side. Not a pretty footballer but is effective when in the side.

By reading saddler (62.253.64.9) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Stay up or go down i mean if we did stay up what can we do in div 1. And if we went down then can we actually make it up again or are we going to pull a barnsley?? Look at reading i mean they benefitted from a extra season in div 2 and here is us who should of gained experience from the one season in div 1.

By Cannock (62.31.217.27) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

It's all well and good saying "who do we replace the manager with".

Nobody even thought about Sir Nicholl when he took over from Hibbitt and what happened - promotion at the first attempt.

Nobody even thought about Sir Ray when he took over and what happened - promotion at the first attempt.

OK BFJ went pear shaped but who knows what the next manager will do. No-one until you see the goods.

By Stu (195.92.67.67) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

Reading, in all fairness. Reading have also splashed out big money and big wages on a hell of a lot of players over the last few seasons. Them losing in the Play Offs had very little to do with it. Mr Madejski's wallett had a hell of a lot to do with it.

By Exile (203.97.2.242) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 02:39 am: Edit

Yes. Another season in Div 2 would have benefited us how, exactly?

No money to spend, no players to buy. Wages bill just as big however. No big teams, so lower gates. Therefore less income, bigger squeeze on resources, have to can the emerging youth academy, no wage increase for good players, impossible to get loan players outside Bosnian semi-professional league. On the plus side we get two extra cup fixtures before drawing a "big" name.

God in heaven. How can you even suggest that, Reading Saddler? Wouldn't you rather have had the time in Division One over that????

Cheers
Exile

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 03:51 am: Edit

Exile - a friend of mine has just come back from NZ - Auckland.
He seems to have spent all his time there in pubs, including one in the main street - Queen St? - which has a publican from Walsall.
The publican supports the Baggies despite being Walsall born and bred. Do you know him at all?

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 05:15 am: Edit

No, JPD - must be one higher up Queen Street - probably the Queen's Head or Nag's Head (I never remember the name). I spend my Queen Street pub time in the QF - low down dive where the landlord supports rugby only!
Cheers
Exile

By Shifnalsaddler (213.120.56.33) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 08:28 am: Edit

Sheff, IMO both Graydon and Nicholl achieved far more for Walsall than Lee because they had far less, almost nothing at times, to work with.
Lee has been able to go out and sign players with hundreds of games under their belts at this level or above, Sonner, MOC, Bazeley, Corica, Robinson, Samways, plus Premier League reserves like Hay and Rodrigues.
And last summer he was given the backing to sign Wrack, Walker and Roper on new contracts, and but for Bazeley they would possibly be numbers 1,2,and 3 in the player of the season running in some order.

As for the new manager, I agree with Cannock. I could name names who are out of work, but as he says, no way would I have suggested Ray or Chris, so I'll leave it to Jeffrey.

Avoiding relegation this season isn't enough to qualify as success, we should have done loads better than this.

And as for the cup run, he should have resigned the day of the Sheffield United fiasco.

He's tactically naive, can't put problems right, can't sort things out at half time, the football is boring and negative, we are an ill disciplined rabble, we look badly coached (not coached at all at times) and he makes too many excuses instead of actually addressing the real problems. He should go.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.16) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

To me if we're looking to sign someone this week, we could do a lot worse than Tony Rougier. Bang in form, some physical presence and pace, which we lack. Going back to Reading after his loan spell at Brighton. Also a Saddlers ledgend of course.

By Lee (216.40.52.20) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

As a Palace fan, I would just like to say how impressed I was by your teams fight and desire to get something out of Saturday.From where I was sitting, it was hard to judge the first sending off, however O'Connor had only himself to blame. What was Roper on? Stupid handball. The guy upfront was work himself to death and was quailty. We were poor, but with 9 men you were playing better football and creating changes. Still you get what you deserve and anyone who employes Francis deserves nothing.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Are Brighton not trying to keep Rougier? I'd be surprised if they're giving him up without a fight, he has scored a couple of goals for them as well I think.

Nice to see we're trying to sign a midfielder (E&S report), after all, we've only got O'Connor, Samways, Robinson, Sonner, Simpson, Wrack, Corica and Matias. Okay, O'Connor and Robinson may soon be suspended, but they'll not be suspended for the rest of the season.

I personally think we could do with something fresh up front, but thats my opinion. Or somebody like Gareth Ainsworth.

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

I hope we're looking to bring in more than one player, a decent left back and a decent target man up front (Bob Taylor from the baggies would do a job til the end of the season) along with a pacy, taller wide player, and hopefully we're gonna clear the decks with some departures, ie Simpson, Driller, Barras, Shuker, Birch, Pedro etc., because the team needs freeshening up for the last seven games

By Chris Owen (217.205.220.2) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 02:45 pm: Edit

Geoff, you must be wondering why you took so much stick a few weeks back from the rose tinted spectacles brigade. Guys, we're in big trouble. Odds on we get out of it, but the storm clouds are gathering, or the tides coming in, or something. Our form stinks, our team selections look increasingly desperate, and the fixture list is doing us no favours for the next couple of weeks. Our last three games are Grimsby, Derby and Wednesday, all teams with something to play for, and all capable of pulling off a result against us, especially in our present form. Typical Walsall to pull miserable defeat from the jaws of a potentially decent season. I do hope that the (metaphorical) air raid siren is sounding in the dressing room now - we can afford no more slip ups, and we need to pull out some outstanding results, or we could find ourselves relegated by a defeat to Wednesday on the final day of the season. Sorry to be so gloomy, but I have woken up and the coffee stinks.

Fensaddler

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

I think I may be cursed - I implore the reinstatement of Ropes on another thread and what does he do....bloody hell!!

What, no complaints about the standard of stewarding?

PS
Doffer was there, but muted

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Rushall, you can't get rid of six players at this stage of the season. And its unrealistic to think we could get rid of 6 and bring 6 in as well.

For now, I'd take Bob Taylor (he would do a similar job to what Goodman did for us in Division 2). Interesingly, Goodman made his debut for Doncaster last Monday.
And I've love a traditional pacy direct beat your man winger, is Gareth Ainsworth avail... oops, missed the boat there.

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

It would be nice if we could get rid of 6 and bring in 6 quality replacements, ooohps there goes that pig flying past my window again.

Seriously though we could really do with 2 or three new signings and letting any three of the six stated go to pastures new, but I bet they all leave during the summer plus 3 or 4 others and we all know who they are

By Lee Fieldhouse (80.195.89.110) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

You can bet whoever we sign he has got some link with the dingles. I'd be surprised if CL doesn't try and change our name from Walsall to Walsall Wanderers in time for next season!!!

By Dave Roe (81.135.126.180) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Christ, I wish people would stop linking our current plight to the Wolves. Does it really matter where they came from ? I make my judgements on how they play for Walsall not on the basis that they were unlucky enough to wear a sickly orange shirt.

It's not as if they are all waxing on about their stint there is it ? Bazeley was totally left on the sidelines for a year after returning from injury. Pollett was in much the same circumstance. We've all heard the reception Corica gets everytime he plays against the Dingles. Unless I'm mistaken wasn't Robinson shown the door because he was surplus to requirements ? I don't think any of them think back to their Dingle days with much fondness.

By Lee Fieldhouse (80.195.89.110) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

Fair comment Dave. I don't think any of them probably do. It's just that everytime we're linked with a player he has a dingle connection, and they never add anything to the current squad. Pollet and Emblen were a waste of time and Robinson just looks lost everytime i see him play. Bazeley has been superb this season and must be in with a chance of getting close to the player of the season.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 11:22 am: Edit

Does it matter if they have a Dingle connection and I'd disagree that they never add anything to the current squad.

Go through them one by one, starting with Lee himself.

Lee - Kept us up, about to do it again.
Bazeley - you've said yourself he is in for Player of the Season
Corica - Huge role in keeping us up last season, lost form this year admittedly. But in my view we'd be in Division 2 if it weren't for him last season.
Pollett - Brought in during a time of need and did what was required of him in that spell. Was only ever short term.
Emblen - He would have added to the squad had he been anywhere near fully fit and played in his best position. It was no surprise that he was Man of the Match when played in his best position (eg, Centre back at Reading), otherwise we played him up front and even left midfield!
Robinson - Looked very good at home to Watford, he may haev struggled in the last 3/4 games but so has the whole team.

Think thats the ex Wolves lot covered. Can't include Samways as he was only there for 1 month on loan.

Have they really been that bad when you think of their overall contribution? Considering we knew Pollet and Emblen were only ever for 1 month in times of need!

By Paul G (134.220.2.2) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Lee took the Dingles to 7th in the division twice with no cash from Hayward. If he wants to bring players in to us from a squad that achieved that then I am pleased.

By sbf (62.31.217.45) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

As everyone seems to have said, the WV1 connection is irrelevent. However the physio's mid 70s tache is a tad too dingle for comfort.

Return to 2002-03 Season