Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Burnley (h) - League - 15th March 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Burnley (h) - League - 15th March 2003

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:06 am

By Kevthesaddler (217.44.43.205) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Just got back from the game feeling very satisfied with the result and performance.

Jimmy-8 two great first half saves & unlucky to get sent off even tho I dont blame the ref.

Bazeley-7 solid performance, didnt get forward tho

Zigor-8 great cross for Jorges goal & didnt put a foot wrong

Carbon-8 did very well in air against Taylor

Barras-6/7 afew dodgy moments but also good in the air

Corica-6/7 first half non existant but got into game second half

O'Conner-8 tackled and chased all game, very neat passing as usual

Samways-9 always wanted the ball, neat two touch passing and excellent delivery from corners, got his foot in when needed aswell

Matias-7 well taken goal, almost scored a great goal in first half with curling right foot shot.

Junior-9 (My MOTM) superb skill, touch, vision and holding up play, deserved a goal, shame he couldnt direct jorges cross in instead of over the bar.

Jorge-9 worked his socks off again, linked up with Junior well, little lucky with his goal but overall another great performance

By sedgers (213.48.64.13) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 07:25 pm: Edit

if junior carries on like that he will be the best centre forward the midlands has ever seen!!!great touch,vision and flair even tackled back today just a shame he couldnt score.thought second half we played like man u,just a shame jimmy got sent off,i thought he could of avoided it as taylor was going to score anyway.but just glad for the three points!this time next year the play offs and premiership here we come!

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Excellent result. Although I personally dont think Walker need to do what he did when we are winning 3-0, we didt need him suspended for matches at the end of the season.
So with 9 matches left we are 10 points clear of the bottom 3 and above Derby County! Surely 1 more win will secure another season in division one.
Would love to see Sjoke and Wednesday go down. Although I will be sad to see one of Brighton and Grimsby go, as they are much the same sort of clubs as us, surviving off low gates and trying to establish themselves in division one.

By Fish (213.122.219.115) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 07:32 pm: Edit

The sending off was reminiscent of the one against Notts Co (a) some years ago. I thought Jimmy unlucky once again. With these incidents Refs seemed to have taken a more common sense approach this season with very few keepers seeming to go now, usually a yellow and a penalty suffice.

Once we had scored I thought that we looked really workmanlike and without the sending off would have probably scored 5 or 6.

Agree with all of the scores above, plus the MoM, but I was particularly impressed with Samways, he hardly put a foot wrong and some of his passing was outstanding. Well done Zigor, also.

I really think that this game will be a turning point.

By popperpancake (81.77.133.92) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

We played well after a slow start. Junior and Jorge were back to their form when we were scoring a lot of goals, which was good to see. Agree about Walker, he should have let they player go on and score, altho i couldn't really see the incident and some people were saying he just slightly mistimed. In which case he perhaps should only have had a yellow. Happy again.

By Paul G (62.31.219.164) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

After 20 minutes it looked as bad as last week but suddenly we dragged ourselves into the game. the key to winning was scoring the first goal when we had a good 2-3 minutes on top. Upto the sending off we looked good for a 4 or 5 goal vistory.

Junior was excellent today. He has really responded well to being left out for a few games - the same can be said of Zigor who was faultless throughout. Samways getting better every game.

Please Walsall do not ruin this with another shocker at PNE. We really should be looking to climb 5-6 places before the end of the season.

By 4two_TSFC (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Today was the first time i have enjoyed watching us play for a very long time. Althouugh the Don's match in the cup was fun, we have not seen the lads play like that for ages, what a performance.

I am amazed at how close it is in the division . Look at the number of sides who have 40-50 points, a good or bad run by any of those sides could change things all together.

Derby are starting to get dragged in to it as well. Great result though !

By Karl (195.92.168.174) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

What a shame the best performance since Christmas was witnessed by the fewest number of Walsall fans.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Well pleased with the result but could have done without the last few minutes on the edge of my seat - injury time was agony at times. Precious three points made up for all of that in the end though.

I too thought Wakker was unlucky, the guy went down very easily, from my seat (admittedly at the other end of the HLF) he seemed to throw himself to the gound, tonight's paper seems to agree. I agree with Fish, there have been a number of similar incidents on TV this season where only a yellow has been given, but Wakker always seems to cop a red in these incidents. Remember Poom at Derby when he brought down Wrack, he got a yellow, what's the difference between that and Wakker today ?

I also agree with sedgers and popperpancake though, at that point in the game Wakker didn't need to take that risk, but I suppose it's a keeper's instinct to try to prevent a goal.

We could have conceded a couple early on, thankfully they didn't take advantage then, but I thought later on we could have run up a 5 or 6 goal lead with a bit more luck/steadiness. But the win was everything and our goal difference is already worth an extra point to us, no way can I see anyone below us getting anywhere near to matching that.

We're so nearly there now - 7 more points from 9 games and the sooner the better.

Preston midweek looks tough judging by their performance at Leicester on TV tonight, but our confidence should be high after winning and creating so many chances today.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Geoff - I dont think we will need 50 points to survive this year mate. I reckon one more win and thats it.
I agree with Preston though, they certainly looked a decent side at Leicester tonight on sky. I would be happy with a point on Tuesday thats for sure!

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:09 am: Edit

I'll take as many points as we can possibly get in the last nine games, but am wondering how many we'll get. Stuff the grimsby relegation calculator - we don't need that!

My thoughts are that we're heading for a five game losing streak if we're not careful. Think about Preston, Palace away, Coventry, Portsmouth at home, then Gills away (no Wacker for those last two games either). We need to be watching our backs against all of these teams, and I pessimistically reckon we'll pick up two points (Palace and Coventry draws) from these games. I think I've been reading Geoff's posts for too long!!

After that, Norwich might give us a draw (rusty Wacker returning), then we're looking for wins against Grimsby, Derby and Sheff Weds to finish the season on a high, with 55 points.

In short, we're still in for some cut-and-thrust at the bottom end of the table before declaring we're safe!

Good points today though, and with the sort of steel the lads showed today we should do a little better than I've set out above.

Cheers all
Exile

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.25) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:28 am: Edit

So we can win a game without Wracky in the team then, must admit I was very surprised he wasn't even in the 16, was he injured or did CL just decide there was no position available for him.
Dodgy first 20 mins today they could easily have been two up but for a couple of Jimmys regular get out of jail free cards, but once we scored I thought we were on for a 5 or 6 nil, especially with their keeper having a real nightmare, I thought he was to blame for all three of our goals.
Jimmy should definitely have let Taylor score, as it would only have been a consolation goal because at the time with eleven men we cutting through their defence with ease and looked likely to score with every attack.
Couldn't really fault any of our players today except perhaps for Driller (Bit harsh I know) but surely Shuker would have been a better substitute as Burnley only left two at the back at times and his pace would surely have been of better use than Drillers plodding about, surely he won't be offered a new contract at the end of the season.
Still 3 points gratefully accepted, thought we'd get them today, as Burnleys record over the years at Bescot is poor, (Norwich and Pompey's aren't that good either), still think we need two wins or 1 win and a couple of draws 48-49 points should be enough, but I think we'll finish with around 55.
Sheff Wendy and Sjoke to go down hopefully, I'd like to see both Brighton and the fishy people stay up and it wouldn't surprise me if they did, just keep an eye on Derby - dropping down the table like a lead weight, you never know we might even put the final nail in their coffin on our last home game of the season.

By 4two_TSFC (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

In all fairness, Keepers know players are gonna throw themselves down if they come out like that.

You could also say that if Whakka goes for the ball, the guy is entitled to make the most of it (As players do nowerdays). If their keeper hacked down Corica when he went around him today i would have said fair enough i want him off. And if Corica went down like a sack of spuds i would have said he is entitled to because the keeper should not fling himself at the ball.

Thats how i see things anyway.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 01:58 am: Edit

Sheff and Rushall, I didn't actually mean we'll really need 50 points to stay up, I agree it looks like we won't judging by the other teams. But it's a kind of bench-mark safety limit, and I'd still rather see us get to the 50 a.s.a.p. to be absolutely sure.

4two, if Wakker goes for the ball and the attacker just "makes the most of it" as you put it, then it ain't a penalty, and that's for the referee to spot the difference and give the right decision.

A penalty might have been the right decision today, it was hard to say from how far away I was, but a sending-off as well ? I'm not so sure, if it was a genuine challenge and he caught the man, a yellow would be right, not a red. Has it been shown on TV at all, I'd like to see it from the camera position ?

By Hairy Saddlebags (172.179.194.210) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 02:19 am: Edit

THIS IS WHAT WE WANT!!

As a certain suited & booted quizmaster used to say.........

Thrills & spills & bellyaches, for the first 15 minutes we were awful, then somehow we are 2-0 up thanks to the worst goalkeeping display since Gavin Ward (remember him?) pushed Tom Bennets powder puff corner into his own net.

Second half I thought to meself, well it's ours to throw away, and, my God, we tried our best to do so. Having seen the incident on TV at least 3 times, Taylor definitely threw himself over Jimmy, if anything he should have been booked for over-elaboration.

Junior was my Man of the Match, several times he picked the ball up in a situation where I was thinking, "well, we might get a throw in or a free kick out of this" but he turned (on one occasion) three men and -played a bloody good through ball to Jorge who with a bit more luck might have scored.

I'd much rather see this sort of attacking, hell for leather footie, with a minor heart attack in injury time; waiting for the frankly bizarre ref to blow his whistle; than the shite that was served up against Millwall & Brighton.

Ps. If anyone knows why the ref gave a corner to Burnley in the first half after they put the ball a good 5 yards behind the goal, could they contact me at [email protected].

Thanks

PPS. Ant, this is why I keep my anonymity.

Goodnight

By Jim Inger (195.92.194.16) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 09:08 am: Edit

Corica could have thrown himself down when he went round the keeper when we were 3-0 up but went for goal. If that had gone in I think Burnley would have completeley collapsed.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.172) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:50 am: Edit

From what I've seen on TV this morning, I think the club should appeal over Wakker's red card - it looked doubtful if it was even a foul.

My last lingering doubt was about Wakker's intent when he stretched out his arm, but that was cleared up by TV this morning. He was definitely stretching for the ball and never made any illegal contact with Taylor - the guy just made a real meal of it by allowing himself to fall over Jimmy's body when with only the slightest effort he could have jumped over him to score.

A classic "professional" penalty, what's the betting if Corica had gone for one as Jim says above, he'd have been booked for diving ?

By Mark W (212.159.33.191) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

A welcome 3 points and a good performance in patches although just as you would expect from the Walsall we all know and love, instead of being 5 up we have to resort to biting our nails for the last 2 minutes.
What will CL do at PNE? Play the same side again or the more defensive side that did well in the previous 2 away games?I personally would opt for the same again and really go for it.
I heard somebody on the terrace ask Jimmy where Wrack was when the players were warming up to which he replied "feeling a bit dicky".Does this mean after a night on the lash or at being dropped?Intrepret as you will.

By Shifnalsaddler (213.1.45.10) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Wrack must have been injured/ill surely, can't believe Lee would drop him as he's been playing well.

Always difficult when there is such a difference between two teams, is it because the best team played so well, or because the worst team were so rubbish? I thought Burnley were the poorest team I've seen this season, apart from Brighton, but nevertheless I felt we did well. Corica had his best game in several months, Junior looked dangerous nearly every time he had the ball, MOC and Samways were solid in the middle, 442 looks better, especially at home.

The trick of course is to get more performances like that from Corsica and Junior.

As for Jimmy, if he fouled the guy he had to go. I know what Geoff means when he says others have stayed on in similar circumstances, but I think it is those refs who got it wrong, not the one yesterday. If the last man takes a guy out, he should go. How we get refs to be consistent is as difficult as getting players to be consistent though.

Nice to see Jim Inger on here. What you been doing this last thirty years Jim?

By Shifnalsaddler (213.1.45.10) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Nice of Marlon to try and throw a couple in the net for us. I remember him as a decent keeper from years back when he was first with Burnley. An off day, or has he lost it? Or perhaps it was another Marlon I'm thinking of.

He was never as good as Jim Inger anyway.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 01:43 pm: Edit

If you see it on TV Shifnal you might decide Wakker didn't foul Taylor at all, but I did think it was a penalty at the time and you're right, it is really just this inconsistency that is so bl**dy annoying.

I've already said above why I thought the decision was wrong, but fair enough referees don't have the benefit of TV and, apart from a couple of bizarre decisions on goal kicks/corners (as highlighted by Hairy Saddlebags earlier) I thought he wasn't a bad Referee by the usual standards that we seem to get at Bescot.

I thought it was a bad decision by CL to bring Zdrillic on yesterday. Jorge had worked so hard I could certainly see why CL brought him off, knackered and probably feeling that injury as well I'd guess. Maybe CL expected Driller, being fresh, to put himself about a bit, run around, hold the ball up, but he looked totally lacking in pace even against the Burnley defenders, well out of it and he added nothing at all for us.

I'm with Rushall on this, Burnley were committed to getting another goal back, Shuker's pace would have had their defenders in panic, preventing them from getting forward at us in numbers. I'd have thought that was fairly obvious, clearly CL didn't ! As a result we came under a lot more pressure than we should have in the closing stages. It's not good for the heart !

By Frank Stubbs (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 03:21 pm: Edit

This was pure Saddlers 4.30pm the cigars are out 3 up against my most hated team every thing going to plan3 points in the bag goal difference dimeshing then ............
I havent seen it again on telly but why didnt Jimmy make a token effort the guy scores,we have got eleven men we go forward another couple of goals job done,instead another 15 mins of pure hell,heart attack stuff for sure.Walker is fantastic and saves us week in and week out,but he has got to learn about these situations Barnsley,Preston and now today we could have lost 3 vital points and we have now got him suspended for two games.
Enjoyed the performance everybody played well from Aranaldis cross to Coricas goal line clearance more of the same please!
Now lets go on and get the points we need to guarantee 1st div footy at Bescot next season.
On a personal note i would love to finish higher than Burnley,if you lived in Lancs like me youd understand why!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.175) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Watched it again, I've changed my mind about appealing. I think Wakker's outstretched left hand was going for the ball, but he probably caught Taylor's foot with the right hand closer in to his body, which I didn't look for before. So a fair decision, can't argue with the ref at all, especially as he only had the one look at it, and it's taken me at least a dozen times to work it out and I'm still not absolutely sure now !

CL seems to be saying the red card was harsh because Wakker wasn't the last man, that Zigor had got back, but he hadn't, he only got back as Taylor was already rolling on the ground.

I was mystified at the time how Pedro lost that ball on the half-way line from which they set-up the move for the penalty, but the TV shows he was pulled back from behind by the wrist or lower arm as he went to make the intended back-pass, presumably meant for Zigor. Ref missed that unfortunately, but overall I thought he had a good game.

Totally agree with Frank Stubbs, Wakker must learn - it's happened to him enough times now and despite these things being near-instinctive he has to try to overcome that and think more in such situations - 3-1 with 11 players would have been much better than with 10.

By Stu (195.92.67.67) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Really seemed back to our best for an hour yesterday. The first 10/15 mins was pretty poor and I couldn't help but feel we were going to see last week all over again.
Whatever happened, I don't know, but when we stepped it up we played them off the park.
If we'd kept 11 men I think we'd have scored 5 to be honest.

As for the Walker sending off. He had to go, no other thing about it. As a keeper myself, and a qualified Ref, it was stupid. You know if you touch the striker and he goes down, your off. Simple as that.

Other refs may have given a yellow card for that, but that's down to their inconsistency in my opinion. Yesterday's ref had no other option.

Junior was superb yesterday, even running back 30 yards with his man to get a tackle in at one point. Just what we've been wanting him to do. Yesterday, I saw the Junior we all want to sign, as on the basis of the last 4-6 weeks, I wouldn't have said the same thing.

It shows, we're at our best when we're attacking and we dictate the tempo...

By Salop Saddler (213.78.98.73) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Great fun, great entertainment, great result. Much more in keeping withthe Saddlers' we all know and love.

I think that a significant factor in our turn around in form from last week is getting Junior to play. I hope that the club are working behind the scenes to secure him for another season.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 06:03 pm: Edit

The talk in my area of the Fellows stand is that Wrack and Lee had "words" before the game hence Wrack not making the bench.Wrack would be the first name in my midfield.My starting midfield would be: Wrack,Corica,Oconnor,Samways, with Robinson and Pedro on the bench.

Geoff read you E-mail.

By geoff (195.92.168.170) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Steve, does that mean you have read my e-mail, or I should read my e-mail ? Spot the diff.

By Marko (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 06:19 pm: Edit

According to the paper, Wrack was feeling unwell and was sent home, that's why he didn't play.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Geordie, are we going to be treated to another of your special match reports this week please, or was that a one-off last week ?

By Trisha (62.31.217.5) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Let's just be honest about this. Wrack was in no fit state to play today after an allnight sex session with Shifnal. He was apparantly "a tad sore".

By Shifnalsaddler (213.120.56.41) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

I think that's a pretty disgusting thing to write Trisha, and I feel you should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!
However, I'm not at all displeased with the "allnight" reference, so keep it up, so to speak.
If you lot are to be believed I have the most varied sex life of anyone on here. Wrackys mom, Wracky, numerous sheep and various bits of totty.
If only........

By Sean the sheep (217.44.33.82) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:34 pm: Edit

you mean to say Shifnal is bi-sexual, men and sheep. No, sorry I don't believe it.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

So how come Junior is good again all of a sudden? I thought he only has one foot? Make him move onto his over foot and bobs your Uncle, he is useless? So did Burnley not bother to look into this and just let him do what he wanted? Amazing!
Didnt you have any marches to go to then yesterday sjlawton13? So you thought you would create a few rumours about Wrack and Lee?
Lets have another match report Geordie!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.167) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:30 pm: Edit

I thought Junior had probably his best game for us yesterday, only marred by an amazing miss from almost under the bar from Jorge's great ball in. If that had gone in we'd all have had an easier time late on. How he managed to get that ball over the bar I shall never know.

I certainly thought Burnley failed badly to pay enough attention to Junior's dangerous left side yesterday, numerous times he was allowed to turn that way and he left them trailing in his wake. Most teams have not allowed him to do that recently, and it seems unusual for a Stan Ternent team to be so ill-prepared. But they have let in a lot of goals away, 38 against is the 3rd worst in the division after Grimsby (41) and Sjoke (39) so defence is presumably not their strong point.

But Junior took full advantage and proved that given the opportunity he can be very influential on the game.

Man of the match for me yesterday, with Jorge a close second.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Sheffield there will always be another march they are wonderful things where you meet convivial people. Sheffield you really must try one, for you health sake mate, the larger the amount of bile the shorter the life. I'm not getting sentimental we need all the support we can muster, under 7000 yesterday.
Yes I,ve bitten again.

Geoff I e-mailed you on Friday about a matter at "the other Place"

By Sean the sheep's sister (203.97.2.243) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Sean - you should know by now: Shifnal isn't bisexual, he's baa-sexual....

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:21 pm: Edit

sjlawton13 - The marches you go on are just full of under 10s who have been taken on a day trip with their mom and dads.
They just happen to end up on a march in London supporting the actions of Saddam. Thats basically what you support, someone who pushes his evil ways on the people of his own country.
Anyway back to football, we are staying up!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.177) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Anyone spot the inflammatory post ??

Very subtle Sheff.

By geoff (195.92.168.177) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Steve, I got the Friday e-mail about the Arthur, did you get my reply then ?

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Geoff.

No mate

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.70) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Geoff, It wouldn't have worked this week mate, everything went a bit flat about 20 past three due to about 30 very agressive brummies occupying my local after the Villa defeat. However I did toy with the idea, and at five to three went to have a look who was on the bench outside Woolworths. None other than the man with no ears! making his seasonal debut, watching two thirds or a kazooless salvation army brass band, playing their hearts out outside of Greggs sandwich shop.

Man with no ears player profile:

Born: In a workhouse somehwere north of Penrith.

Previous clubs: Cullercoates Crescent club, The royal order of Buffalo club (Whitley Bay Branch), both CIU affiliated.

Strengths: can apparently hear things despite his lack of ears, and also has the ability to wear spectacles using a Terry Butcher like head band.

Weakness: Suffers from acute paranoid psychosis.

Career highlight: mentioned in the Whitley Bay internet Knowhere Guide as a "local Character".

Favourite food: Anything that can be eaten without the aid of a sharp implement.

Biggest dissapointment: losing count of the traffic.

What would you be if you weren't a raving nut with no ears?
An accountant.

Contribution to Yesterday afternoon.

At one point he got up from the bench and strode confidently towards the Arcade fish Bar, 92 pence in hand. This was going to be a bag chips, or possibly even a cone of chips and a pickled egg. Suddenly, a wiff of a Greggs bacon buttie accosted him sideways on, surely a foul??
No, play on. Confused in some kind of sensory overload, the chance was gone and he sat down and then wandered off. To be seen again this afternoon almost shaven headed, A 92p haircut? who knows,
I blame Colin Lee.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:09 am: Edit

Nice one Geordie.

How come the 30 very aggressive brummies were in your local, if they were so bothered about the Villa defeat shouldn't they have been located somewhere in a certain suburb of Birmingham ?

Any chance of posting a pic of the man with no ears some time - he sounds like he's worth a look if only for the curiosity value Priceless !

Could you maybe get him to pose for a face-on and a profile shot, to make the most of his features.

Any idea when you're down again to take in a game ?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

Steve, I'm sending my e-mail again tonight, sorry I've no idea why it didn't arrive first time - I've had no failure report come back.

By Ulster Saddler (212.3.176.14) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:17 pm: Edit

A great result against a good team that got a bollocking from their manager for being so poor in their previous match vs Sheff Utd.

A couple of difficult games coming up - a draw at each one would suit me.

I would love it, absolutely love it, if Sheff Wed, Sjoke and Derby got relegated - but I think Derby will scrape away. Funny, but I don't hear many "experts" from the media mentioning the phrases "one of the best young English managers in the country" and "John Gregory" in the same sentence any more!!

If Wakker said Wracky was ill and then someone heard he was had words with Lee - it would be nice to think that Lee dropped him because he wasn't well but Wracky went ape coz he wanted to play so much. Who knows?

UP THE SADDLERS

By G.Taylor (195.93.49.12) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Ulster,
I have to say,and this is very much my own opinion,John Gregory IS one of the best young managers in this game of ours,and always will be.He left Aston Villa football club in a fairly healthy position,in the first or premier division,as we now call it.With what he left to inherit to me,we have been able to fine tune it,so to speak,and make progress,although in a stabilising and progressive situation.Do you follow?

Regards Graham

By Doug Ellis (213.1.45.2) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Your days are numbered!

By D. Doug Ellis (213.122.221.138) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Sorry, that should be , 'I have every confidence in you Graham.'

By I luv Shifnal (213.122.105.138) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Baaaa!

By another Graham Taylor (217.39.53.112) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

I have to agree and following on from that of course it's for other people to say that Aston Villa was Johnathon Gregory in all aspects.

When you look at the game of football and all sides to "may i say it" forewith you can understand the fustrations felt by everybody at the club, excluding me.

A lot people bandy round the phrase "he's a bumma" but in the long term of the future of the game, most supporters can understand you have to build up from bottom and bring your own characteristics to the situation. Certainly.

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 04:12 am: Edit

Never mind, when Gregory gets the boot he'll have heaps of trophies on his sideboard - most of them reading 'Worst Premier League Man Manager for month of ....'

By Phil Neal (195.93.49.12) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

I agree boss.

By G Taylor (194.70.199.62) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:52 pm: Edit

Do I not like orange

Return to 2002-03 Season