Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford (a) - League - 1st March 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Bradford (a) - League - 1st March 2003

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:01 am

By behind enmy lines (134.220.2.2) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 05:56 pm: Edit

well well done lads, a few changes, and we turn it around, glad for predro to score, also sounds like shukar had a good game as well

By Paul Jones (195.92.168.167) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 05:59 pm: Edit

and the other results have gone our way.

By Not so worried now Saddler (218.102.23.28) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Cough up, Geoff!

By BEL (134.220.2.2) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

from what I heard shukar, and samways had good games predro should have started at stoke

By SaddlerSteve (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

All 4 teams below us lose and we pull out a win!!

Bradford 1-2 Walsall
Gillingham 3-0 Brighton
Grimsby 0-2 Coventry
Sheff Wed 0-1 Preston
Stoke 0-1 Burnley

A great day all round!!

Didn't Meir Sjoke say he was returning to laugh at us when Sjoke win and we lose?? LOL

By Lotto Saddler (217.44.83.193) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Positions from this morning : 19,21,22,23,& 24 all lost today.

18(Preston) won at 23(Stoke).
20(Saddlers)won at 19.

Couldn't really get much better!

By Robin2Bilston (81.135.90.6) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Phew, it's like last Wednesday never happened.

By Lotto Saddler (217.44.83.193) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

The excitement causes so much confusion!

Of course it was Burnley who did us all a favour at Stoke & Preston who did likewise at Wednesday.

I need a lie down.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:34 pm: Edit

What a day for the Saddlers. Stoke lost, Wednesday lost, Grimsby lost, Brighton lost and BRADFORD LOST. After last Wednesday I was thinking of cancelling my family holiday in Lake district, which would have taken in Burnley game on the way up and Preston while there. Not now. Three points at up start Rotherham is now the order of the day. Off to pub tonight with my Palace supporting mate. Life is good even if I am older than Geoff.
UP THE SADDLERS

By freda g (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Lee out ..........................standing.

By Kevthesaddler (217.44.42.49) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

100% credit to Colin Lee, he dropped the right people & picked the right people. Did Wrack play left back? How were Samways & Shuker? Who would be peoples MOTM?

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Just got back from Bradford. Fantastic. CL made the changes after Wednesdays disgrace and the whole 11 did CL, the fans and Walsall FC proud. Back to our better away form, we looked like we would score when we come forward.
Special mentions to Roper - this guy is unbelievable, anyone who can keep Ward quiet for 90 minutes deserves a medal, got to be player of the season in my books. Samways - what a super debut, considering he couldnt have been match fit, what can you say. And my biggest mention of all to SHUCKER, the smallest football player I have ever seen but god cant he run! This bloke is premiership class, no doubt about it. His touch, his dribbling and his skill and vision are quality. CL should phone Keegan tonight and ask him to extend the loan to the end of the season. Well done to all the 11, you answered you critics with a performance worth every penny of the £15 entry fee.

By popperpancake (81.79.1.163) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Didn't go today, but i presume we were a lot better than wednesday nite. Glad to see CL actually followed thru with dropping some of the players, they deserved it. Great result whatever the performance anyway. Quality. What formation did we play by the way? And who played where?

By Frank Stubbs (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

3 MASSIVE POINTS All the headlines will go to Shuker vision,thought,skill the lot,and from a lad who is smaller than my 4year old ,but Ian Roper was colossal kept Ward quiet and just dealt with everything,the guy was fantastic.Sammways stuttered at times,but maybe that is to critical Moc excellent,infact everybody worked hard after a slow start.After wednesdays debacle this was the best possible answer yes there were nervous times,but you dont expect the home side to surrender do you?
The support was excellent today no W*****S no cling ons just a solid mass who wanted their team to win,fairly local one for me today and a big big win.Rotherham will be taken on with a good heart,hope another centre half is fit
Onwards and at least one place upwards

By stevefrommachen (80.225.78.184) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

An excellent win - Colin Lee certainly rang the changes and the lads delivered - brilliant. As an execise of over optimism - based on current calculations of Points per Game, Home and Away - Heres what the bottom table should read on current performance at the end of the season -

Preston 56 points
WALSALL 53 points (Superior goal difference)
Bradford 53 points
Grimsby 39 points
Brighton 38 points
Sjoke 38 points
Wendys 35 points

But don't blame me if it all goes tits upwards.
Forever the optimist me! Up the Saddlers!

By hullsaddler (212.50.181.205) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

What a relief after reading the dire reports from Stoke game,I'd feared the worst.
I thought Jimmy & Roper kept us in it in the first half. I thought Roper was outstanding, especially that one headed clearance that prevented the Bradford forward having a simple chance. We did not really feature as an attacking force in first half,but what a difference after half time.Shuker seemed to be everywhere as we looked really dangerous coming forward.To come back & win after conceding an equaliser ( a fantastic volley was the only way Jimmy was going to be beaten)was tremendous.I hope that we can carry the 2nd half form into Tuesday's game at millmoor.I also hope it gees up the other players seeing what they have got to do to get back in the side.
Nicky Law was moaning on Radio Leeds about their disallowed goal claiming that the ref only gave a foul on Jimmy because he was small!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Stevefrommachen, you can't really call yourself an optimist mate. You've got Sjoke 1 place off the bottom, couldn't you alter it a touch to show 'em ROCK-BOTTOM - just how we like 'em, in fact the ONLY way we like 'em ! LoL

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Not so worried now Saddler - Sheff and me have been in touch and I'm very happy to cough up to his favourite charity mate ! After Wednesday at Sjoke I'd begun to think it would never happen, I never really thought this away win would take 3 months after our bet ( back in November wasn't it? ).

As I've never won a bet (involving money) in my life, for me this bet with Sheff was probably the one thing that would guarantee an away win for us. The fact that today's away win coincided with ALL the other teams around us losing makes it all the more sweet to lose the bet !

Mind you, this bet was always a pretty long shot for me, as Sheff always only needed one away league win between November and the end of the season. It was always a banker in his favour, but as we are now going to survive (barring a Wolves-like catastrophe) it's been well worth it.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Surrey Saddler, if you're older than me should you be risking a journey as long as from Surrey to the Lake District mate ? LoL - How far is it for you anyway, I mean it always seems a long way for me, and I'm only starting from near Lichfield !

If you need a break, you could always drop off for a coffee, my office is only in Wednesbury, 1 mile left off M6 Junction 9, just past the RAC Control Centre and, of course, also just past our beloved Bescot Stadium - eyes right and salute as you go by of course.

Update on The Staffordshire Encyclopaedia Surrey - it still hasn't arrived from Amazon yet mate - but hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer now. I'm looking forward to that.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

You work near Baches Solicitors than Geoff?

By cat3 (218.102.39.130) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Awesome show case! This is what we need, an away win!!! We need to strive to mid table this season. We still have 12 games on hand. Winning all 12 will get us 36 points. It's a milestone, but we need to strive for excellency. Robinson did an excellent job in midfield and Matias was back to his form again. There's nothing more to implement. Well done Sads and CL!!!

By Cannock (213.48.84.71) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Truly fantastic second half performance. Shuker was excellent. He appeared on the left wing, right wing, up front, in fact everywhere. He was a real pressure relief valve. Every time he had the ball he ran at the Bradford defence, he created chances, he was outstanding.

The boys really battled well today and didn't drop their heads after the equaliser. Samways distributed the ball well, Robinson tackled and battled and MOM Roper was phenomenal.

Excellent excitement as the game ebbed and flowed but where the hell did that 5 minutes of injury time come from. My ticker nearly packed up. Great day, good performance, superb.

A special mention for Corica today after my recent knocks. After he came on he ran, worked hard and distributed the ball well. Brilliant one and all. Ref was a bit of a homer though.

By Paul G (62.31.220.243) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

geoff - did you really say we were going to survive in your post? I thought you had us down for relegation certaintities in november?? Glad to see you have been converted.

To be honest at half time today I felt it was only marginally better than Sjoke. We should have been trailing at half time - possibly by more than one. Ward fluffed a sitter and they seemed able to open us up at will. Breathtaking save from jimmy to prevent a bazely og.

Clearly it will take time for a team with so many changes (and 2 new faces) to gel. Fortunatly it got much better and one we went 2-1 I could not see us conceding despite the late pressure. Where did 5 mins of injury time come from?

Shuker - the injection of pace gave our whole game plan a new dimension. He does not look like a goalscorer but will create for others and constantly worries defenders.

Samways - needs time to adjust to the pace of the English game. He ran into trouble a few times by dwelling too long on the ball. Otherwise sound with a good range of passing and no sign of the over physical appraoch his Spanish disciplinary record suggested. Perhaps their refs are more picky than ours.

I will not dwell on todays ref. Awful. Totally inconsistent with the bookings and missed so many pushes and shoves it was untrue.

By Rodrick Reynolds (81.131.151.193) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Bradford fan on rivals say's we were the better of two bad sides and the worst player on the pitch got the winner.

Agree or not?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Sheffield, Baches office is in Lower High Street, mine is in Walsall Street on the main road in from M6 Junction 9, on the right by the Conservative Club, almost opposite the left-turn leading to the town centre (?). Does that ring any bells ? Baches office is probably 500-600 yards from us I suppose.

Paul G, yes I did say that, but I've thought that for some time due more to others failures than our successes of course - I've posted on here to that effect recently. I have to say though that I'd started to get the jitters again after the awful Sjoke defeat, but what happened today - us winning combined with EVERYONE else losing - means (I think) that we'd now need a collapse of Wolves-esque proportions to go down. Surely can't happen (he says on his knees, hands together, head tilted back to face the sky).

I think it's now got to be any 3 from the current bottom 4 (not rocket-science is it ? LoL) and as long as Sjoke are one of them - preferably in 24th spot - I shall be ecstatic !

I think we're almost home and dry now - I am a relieved man this evening.

By Cannock (213.48.84.71) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Yes, i would agree. First half Matias had the touch of a rapist but steadily improved as most of them did during the second. It was Roper's outstanding first half performance (as well as Jim's save) that kept us in the game first half. Second half was a different story. We battled and fought as well as played good football at times. Shuker was excellent running at the defence, creating chances. Even based on this one performance i would love to see him here till the end of the season. Quality.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Cannock - Good post. Roper surely must get player of the season, he has been outstanding. I still smile to myself when I look at him, you wouldnt want to get on the wrong side of someone of his build! I am sure he would make a decent rugby player as well :o)
Personally I think Matias is good to bring on in last 30 minutes if you want something from the game. Doesnt seem so effective when starting.
Shucker - Brilliant, you can just tell he has come from the premiership. His touch, skill, vision and fitness was remarkable!

By PJD (213.122.181.143) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:53 am: Edit

We were down to the bare bones at the back today. Wrack playing at left back and no cover if anyone got injured. When Roper went down (was it his shoulder?) I thought "cack!" I was even thinking, "Why did we let Gadsby go?" But as usual big Ian just got up, dusted himself down and carried on. Agree that the header he won against Ward in the first half was top class.

Also agree about the Jimmy save.

First goal was lucky, after a bit of pinball, but their goal and our second were top class, well worth the admission.

Interesting tactics to play four at the back, three in the middle of mid field, Pedro wide left, Shuker right sided / up front with Jorge. You thought it would lead to us being light defensively on our right and that is where the main threat came in the first half, but second half Bradford focused on going down our left, where we were stronger. Odd tactics from their manager and how he can complain about the disallowed goal I don't know, Ward was all elbows and pushes right from the start.

Shame Preston and Wimbledon didn't lose or we would have been another two places up the table!

By Shifnalsaddler (212.140.119.148) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 07:37 am: Edit

The three players who have caused us the most problems didn't play today.
Aranalde who gives the ball away too much and is most likely to make a crucial mistake, Corica, lazy, lightweight and out of form for months, and Junior, who can't win or hold the ball and is too easy to play against.
So it looked much better. Wrack was excellent considering it is an alien position for him. The midfield worked hard and passed it well, and Leitao worked his socks off as usual.

First half Roper and Walker kept us in the game, great saves from Jimmy throughout, especially that one from Bazeley.

Matias a bit mixed until he scored, then played really well, great through ball for Zdrillic which he fluffed.

Shuker good, got better as game went on, very promising.

Robinson much better, been told he's inconsistent, but two good games out of three so far. Samways very good passing, and MOC battled like mad.

MOTM Roper, followed by Walker and a big mention for Wrack.

Agree with Cannock, when Corica came on he did well, why can't he play like that more often, he'd be a great addition to the team/squad if he did. Birch did a useful job as well.

Fantastic goal by Bradford player btw.

I'm being way too complimentary, I think I'll go back to bed.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.71) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:44 am: Edit

Well now, nine points from the last five games, hundred percent away record in March, first league win in the blue strip. If I could momentarily become Geoff Whiting in reverse I could have us pipping Leicester for the second automatic spot. Great performance, result, signings, great reaction from the manager at the end - wonder if he's been reading some of the dross people have been posting on this message board. Roll on Rotherham and our highest ever finish.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:13 am: Edit

I,ve just read this thread and the one player singled out by his absence is Barras.He had a very solid game today OK one mistake but many many headers won and as brave as a bull.I agree with most of you on this board who say that he does not have the skill of Carbon and Hay.But he has a more precious commodity Passion.He played a big role in the win today and he was one of only three who played well on Wednesday,Indeed he was the best attacker on that sad night.

Come on you lot give him credit

By Cannock (62.31.217.8) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:45 am: Edit

OK SJ. Credit where it is due. Apart from his one first half moment of madness Barras had a good game sticking his head in where it hurt. He has the heart of a lion and will surely be nursing a few bruises this morning.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:58 pm: Edit

SJLawton 13, I though you said elsewhere you were in Birmingham yesterday for the rally - have you acquired the ability to be in 2 places at a time then mate, or have you got a helicopter ? LoL

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 02:00 pm: Edit

OTT again Geordie - leave it out ! LoL

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.65) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

ok Geoff, if we win on Tuesday I promise not to mention the play-offs.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Geoff-I was at the game,I was trying to be funny clearly I,m not.I think it's a case of having one too many in the King Arthur after the game.I,m off to Rotherham Tuesday please ignor me if I,m on the board early on Wednesday morning because I will be talking Rubbish.

I think I was saying Sheffield was at the Rally, Irony and all that given a previous thread and our differing positions.

Geoff only joking at the "other place" you'r the DADDY.I,ts that Green winter-wear that undermines your credibility sometimes mate.

Geoff we must say hello at the next home game remember the trig point suggestion. It might be an Idea for all the regulars on the board to share a beverage at the end of the season. At a neutral venue dont want the Pleck Boys dominating things.
I,ll say hello to Byfield for all the boys on the board if I get a chance.And for Cats and JOE90 too.

Steve

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.165) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Sorry SJL13 - I obviously missed that mate.

Agree we should try to meet up next Saturday or a.s.a.p.

Geordie, thank God for that mate ! - LoL - Mind you, if it's your opinion, why not, I'd respect your right to it. After all, we are now only 10 points off 7th place aren't we, and to overtake Rotherham would be so-o-o-o sweet ?

By Salop Saddler (213.78.120.136) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Massive, massive result. Hat off to the lads and CL.

Geoff. I sensed after the Stoke game that you were a bit low (Weren't we all!) Glad to see you back on form mate...keep it up!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.163) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

I was as low as a dachsund's d**k Salop - I couldn't go much lower than that mate. I'm well up now though after yesterday.

As you say, "Massive Result" - but not only that - they were all massive results for us as well at Gillingham, Grimsby, Sheffield Wed and Sjoke - who'd have put money on all of those going for us on the same day that we at last won away.

As it seems we're now safe - barring something crazy and totally unforeseeable happening - I can now relax about ourselves, and instead concentrate all my positive karma on seeing Sjoke slip into the oblivion of Division Two - I shall start by constantly playing The Beatles' "Let it be" at high volume - LoL

By Salop Saddler (213.78.120.136) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Lol-Top marks Geoff. keep it up!

By Cannock (62.31.217.25) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

There is no need for you to be embarrassed by the time of your post Shifnal. It is pretty common for males in their late forties to suffer from "night rain" after experiencing moments of high tension and drama.

By Phil_G (195.92.168.167) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

sjl13, is Nige Cumberbatch(?) still in charge of the King Arthur?

By PJD (213.122.115.49) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Geordie - "wonder if he's been reading some of the dross people have been posting on this message board" - Is that the stuff about Simpson, Aranalde, Zdrillic, Corica and Junior not being worth a place in the first team?

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.68) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

PJD, well Aranalde was suspended, Corica and Zdrilic both came on yesterday and played. Two out of five ain't bad I guess. Seems to me there's some very touchy people out there today. Why don't you post that form table from the other week again? might make more pleasant reading today, or are you only interested in such things when it makes us look cr*p?

By itsnotmyfaultsaddler (195.92.168.165) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

"some very touchy people out there today"
maybe you should by a mirror

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

sjlawton13 - I dont think I have ever agreed with you about anything but you are a Saddler so at least we have something in common. Barras was ok yesterday, nothing more and nothing less. He didnt as you mention play a big role in the win yesterday. If you are looking for people who played a big role then I suggest you look at Roper and Shucker.
Barras is ok to have in our squad as back up, nothing more or nothing less. He may have the heart and passion but he certainly hasnt the ability and skill.

By annonbutwiththesameipasgeordie (195.92.67.68) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Cheers Geoff.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Geoff, thanks for the offer of coffee but football intervenes. Our plans are to drive up on 15 March. Call in to see a football match just off the M6. Then we head north for Burnley no less. I misinformed you when I said Lake District. In actual fact we are going to the Pennines and staying in the Travel Inn there. If you are over 55 you can get a special fogey card which entitles you to 20% off and we are taking advantage of this. For future reference thay call it an Emerald Card. It so happens there is another football match at nearby Preston on Tuesday night and I have this on the itinerary. What more can a man ask for- The Trough of Bowland, Skipton and Settle to Carlisle Railway + PNE. Its a pity Tom Finney isn't playing though. Would you believe it but I have seen him at Molineaux- that really dates me doesn't it. Then its back to boring Surrey. My Crystal Palace mate is trying to get me to go to a fotball match on the following Saturday. Not a bad life is it? I am sure you will enjoy the Staffordshire Encyclpaedia.

By Moaning Saddler (217.44.83.233) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 01:01 am: Edit

View from a Bradford perspective :

http://www.moaningsaddler.co.uk

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:40 am: Edit

PHIL-G Yes Nige still rules the roost at the Arthur.I dont know what your connection is with Nige but in April there is a Arthur reunion for the lads that played football for the pub in the 70s.It,s good in there after the home games couple of pints and a South Indian curry, Nige gets them from a local restaurant.

Sheffield. Thanks for the recognition mate I am an old Saddler and yes we do see things differently.I think that the problem with our cyber relationship is that you are sure that you are correct and so do I. A recipe for conflict mate so lets enjoy it and I think we discussed the nature of conflict on another thread.
Remember Don't Let Tony Go.

Geoff-your logic and analysis re-walsall is correct, yes there is an element of good fortune in the position we find ourselves in at this point in the season for all the reasons you outline.Geordie like Sheffield just likes a good argument,they are the best double act on this board.

By Shifnalsaddler (62.6.130.94) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 08:15 am: Edit

Aha, Cannock, back to your usual self I see.
Must confess I was getting a bit worried about your total personality change, but even the drugs, surgery and therapy have failed to eradicate the old traits.
I expect to see you resume hostilities with Sheff any time now.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:09 am: Edit

Your like to stir dont you Shifnal! :o)

By Cockerney Saddler (212.82.80.2) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:57 am: Edit

Fantastic result! We should be safe now, but let's push on and go as high as we can. Positive write-ups all round, but the second goal looked like a lovely move from start to finish. What a difference it makes to have players you can bring in when people aren't playing well

By Geordiesaddler (213.205.138.250) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:27 am: Edit

SJLawton13, I would like to say I agree wholeheartedly with Kevthesaddler and Popperpancake. Peace and love man.

By Phil_G (194.201.73.1) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:33 am: Edit

SJLawton13. I had a spell in the mid 90's of going in the Arthur regularly with Bibby, Evo, Tolley etc, but haven't been for a few years since marriage and kids. Great pint of Highgate mild if I remember correct.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Geordie--about what? Have they been talking behind my back.And while I,m here go easy on Geoff mate you are a cantankerous old cuss whilst geoof has understandale sensibilities, he's from the Pleck you know.
Say one more thing to get him angry and you will be in my little book to be first against the wall come the revolution!!!

Peace indeed

By Geordiesaddler (213.205.138.250) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Not so much of the old.

By Ulster Saddler (212.3.176.14) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Fantastic result - my latest superstition is to watch the results on my portable TV and never check ITV teletext at all or BBC teletext before halftime.

I read in the News of the World that our first goal could be a contender for luckiest goal of the season. Jorge shot, it hit someone on the back and then bounced to Robinson who scored. But another paper said Robinson controlled a cross before slotting home. What actually happened?

Also, the same paper said that Pedro Matias "muscled" between 2 defenders to score. Another paper said he had a simple header. What happened and can Matias muscle anyone, anywhere?

UP THE SADDLERS

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 02:35 pm: Edit

Ulster, I didn't go on Saturday, was going until The Sjoke Shitty match, wish I had now, after watching the goals on Sky sports, the first goal came about after Wracky cut in from the left had a shot at goal which seemed to hit Shukers foot which rebounded nicely into the path of Robinson who comfortably passed the ball into the net, the second goal was a lovely passing move which finally led to Jorge dummying the ball into Shukers path who looked up and popped over a lovely cross to the edge of the six yard box when Pedro simply ran in front of two Bradford defenders to head in, very good looking goal.

By Ulster Saddler (212.3.176.14) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Thanks

By Shifnalsaddler (62.7.134.77) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 08:30 pm: Edit

It wasn't so much a shot from Wrack that was going wide, more of a pin point pass, which he cleverly disguised as a poor shot simply to confuse the Bradford defence. And it worked like a charm.

Second goal Pedro did well to get in front of the defenders. For a winger, he's a pretty good header of the ball, and early on in his career here, he helped set up a few goals for Ricketts with good challenges on the goalie at corners, Blackburn and Stockport for instance.

By randomsaddler (62.253.64.9) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

shifnalsaddler you`ve broken the mystery of why walsall actually play like that. its obviously all a decoy.

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 03:48 am: Edit

Just thought I would give the Express and Star site a compliment - their match reports have been very good lately.
Nice, flowing journalism.
Keep it up!

By Porn Star (194.70.199.62) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 09:28 am: Edit

I'm trying !

By T.Pulis (194.70.199.62) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 09:29 am: Edit

I'm failing !

By chris turner (217.207.41.4) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 09:54 am: Edit

I'm giving up and going back to Hartlepool

By Messex (194.70.199.62) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

They're used to seeing monkeys in Hartlepool

By H'Angus the monkey (203.97.2.243) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

I'll have you know I'm mayor now - have a little respect

By Topless Dancer from a Hartlepool club (195.92.67.67) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

I wish you'd had a bit more respect for me, you dirty monkey...

By Not H'Angus any more (203.97.2.243) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 12:45 am: Edit

Hey, I was just having a pint with my mates - and I certainly wasn't watching as you snogged your girlfriend whilst spreading the baby oil around!

And before you get into it, I wasn't drunk at the Blackpool game, and the blow up doll had clothes on, OK?

By Blow Up Doll (194.70.199.62) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

And my mouth full

By Blow up Sheep (195.93.49.12) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 12:58 am: Edit

bahhhhhhhhh bahhh bahhh bahhh

By Jeff Bridges (194.70.199.62) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 09:36 am: Edit

I was blown away

By Gillian taylforths bloke (62.31.204.14) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:03 am: Edit

So was I

By H Clinton (194.70.199.62) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 02:45 pm: Edit

So was my husband

By Monica Lewinsky (213.120.56.33) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Cigar, anyone?

By Hamlet (194.70.199.62) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 03:00 pm: Edit

The cigar is too wet to light
Alas, poor Yorick....

Return to 2002-03 Season