Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Watford (h) - League - 22nd February 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Watford (h) - League - 22nd February 2003

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:58 am

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.69) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Just had a look at the number of posts for the match reports and reaction, and its amazing to note that when we play crap we get loads more posts than when we play well. Brighton at home is the most popular thread. Ah well I wasn't there today, seeing as nobody has bothered to post I'll start the thread. I can only assume we were good looking at the lack of postings on here. Anyhow, a cracking result against a top ten/FA cup quatre final team whom we never seem to beat. How I wish it could be 1983 and Ally Brown trundling forward instead of Junior and Leitao. 20 years ago we got stuffed 4-2 at Bristol Rovers, wonderful memories, if only we could get rid of this current load of crap we have to watch and go back to the good old days.

By cat3 (218.102.39.130) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Good win all the way! Carl is marvelous today!

By 1933 (81.131.77.153) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Fantastic been to the game today - contrast from last week amazing.

Started off slowly but soon came into it. The first goal was a bit of a freak one but it's about time our luck changed.

Zdrilic and Roper were the stand out performances but EVERYBODY played well today.

Matias looked up for it when he came on and fantastic goal at the end by Leitao after Pedro's fine work.

Let's hope Stoke continue in the same form as today on Wednesday, or we could be on the end of a backlash.

By Dave Gittins (195.92.168.165) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Solid performance today, defence looked good, with a bit more match practice Robinson looks as though he has the makings of a good midfielder.

Two contrasting goals - firstly, Bazeley hoofed over what looked like an aimless cross but that was obviously just to fool everybody in the ground, the ball bounced off the angle of post and bar before being knocked back across goal by (I think) Zdrillic for Junior to have a free header.

The second, on the other hand, came from a lightning break out from defence (our first since about 1988!), Matias went haring down the wing after a Watford corner was cleared, he had two free in the centre and a pinpoint cross was knocked in by Leitao.

One thing worth mentioning was how well the defence adjusted after two enforced major changes, firstly Hay went off injured to be replaced by Carbon. carbon himself having to leave the field second half after a clash of heads - apparently suffering with concussion. The second change around saw Bazely and centre half with Wrack playing at right back.

For me the man of the match today was Aranalde, he broke up attack after attack and overlapped well down the flank.

We are still on target for the magical survival figure of 50 points but I can't help thinking that the survival level this year will be about 45 or 46, in which case we are only about 10 points short. We could be virtually guaranteed of survival before the end of March.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.12) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Meir Stoke?? we await the latest installment of the "relegation battle banter" Surely he's back from the City ground by now, having left at 3.20.

By LEE54 (62.31.205.56) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

WELL SAID GEORDIESADDLER THAT S**T MEIR SJOKE
COMES ON OUR SADDLERS PAGE GIVING US BULLSHIT
JUST WAIT TILL WEDNESDAY SJOKE WE WILL S**T ON U
WELL DONE THE LADS TODAY EVERYBODY WORKED HARD
I THOUGHT JIMMY WAS MOTM TODAY IE,DID NOT REAILY
HAVE MUCH TO DO BUT CAME UP WITH A GREAT SAVE IN THE SECOND HALF
THOUGHT CORICA WAS LIGHTWEIGHT IN MIDFIELD BRING ON VINNY COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM ON U SADDLERS

By DMickle (195.92.194.11) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Slow start but then much much better than last week. Rather fortunate first goal but we will take a bit of luck. Great save by JWacka to keep us in front before a cracking second goal from Jorge.

Wish we would stop hoofing the ball away at times and play on the deck where we are as good as anyone

Quite start by Robinson but he did his job with no fuss

We deserved the points at the end and credit to Colin Lee for getting the players to bounce back after last weekend. The next 2 games are must not lose matches, but I am encouraged after todays display.

By popperpancake (81.77.77.111) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Good performance. Good result. Started very slowly i thought but gradually worked our way into the game. Robinson had a good debut, looking solid. One thing thet matias proved today (and not just for the goal) is that he can put a fine cross in. If only he had an iota of pace he would be great. If we can beat stoke we will be comfortable re the drop.

By Jorge14 (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Great performance, with the stand out performances being Roper (what a player he has turned into!), Zdrilla and Pedro's cameo appearence. Thought that we looked superb and were a completely different side from last week's shambles. Decent crowd as well (7,700) considering the last few performances.

Walker : 9 - Trully back on form. A couple of great saves at important times which kept the lead and allowed us to go on for more.

Bazeley : 8 - His poor cross helped set up Junior's goal. He was quiet with the change back to 4-4-2 preventing him from making so many runs down the wing. Steady though and made some timely tackles.

Aranalde : 9 - Same with Bazeley. Was steady for the first hour but when Pedro came on he came good and looked dangerous going forward and was very solid at the back covering when Carbon lost his last brain cell through concussion.

Hay : Picked up an injury soon after the start.

Roper : 10 - Rock solid. Hardly came out of a header or tackle without the ball. Didn't put a foot wrong. Again. Sponsors MOM.

Wrack : 8 - Was always pressing. a typical Wracky performance. I prefer him in the middle or on the right rather than down the left, but he always give 110%, so I will never complain.

Corica : 6 - Didn't do much wrong but didn't do much good either. Looked to have a lack of confidence but he improved in the second half. I think he'll probably be dropped for Wednesday's destuction of Sjoke with Pedro coming in.

Simpson : 6 - Did OK but he doesn't look like the same player he was when he was fighting for a contract.

Robinson : 8 - Was up for it and while he wasn't that involved in the first half he was clearly our best centre midfield player. Look calm, assured and was up for it.

Junior : 8 - Scored the goal and played well but came off for Jorge Leitao half way through the second half.

Zdrilic : 9 - Brilliant performance, unlucky not to score and certainly the best Aussie on display. Let's hope he's not performing through the same means as Shane Warne!

Subs :

Leitao : 8 - Played well when he came on. Got on the end of a couple of balls from Pedro and scored a fantastic goal.

Carbon : 7 - Did fine when he came on for Danny Hay before "sicknote" got concussed.

Matias : 10 - After last weeks performance most of us groaned when he came on but he turned in a vintage performance. He turned the game as Watford were beginning to get on top. Linked brilliantly with Zigor down the left and broke away brilliantly a few time, setting us Zdrilla once, and Jorge once who headed home.

We really played well. Meir Sjoke, I have 2 words for you, Marlon Harewood. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Good luck in next years LDV vans trophy, you'll need it if you draw Carlisle away.

By Stu (195.92.67.67) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Solid all ways round, I don't think any one player stood out. I thought Corica was behind most forays forward and his movement did cause them problems.

Noticeably, I don't think either full back pushed forward as much as they usually do and that contributed to a solid looking defensive performance. We hoofed it when needed and played it when possible.

Driller gave a superb performance up front, worked his knackers off and held some good balls up. Like the look of Robinson, broke some good attacks up and spread the ball well and looked like he can score a few, got better as the game went on.

Now lets take that on and aim for 5 pts from Joke, Bradford and Rovrum in the next 3 matches.

By Jonny Arbo (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

good performance from the lads today after a slow start now lets get an away win at joke! I wonder how many joke fans were left at the City Ground at full time today!

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Well done Jorge14 - Another 6 for Corica, if he scored 6 goals, set up 6 goals and missed 6 goals would he still get 6? Talk about biased opinions.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Oh and Jorge14 - Wouldnt you have a slight lack in confidence if everytime you got the ball people were on your back ready for you to self destruct? And how much would you want to bet on Corica playing instead of Matias on Wednesday?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.168) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Can't add too much to what's already been said, I agree with most comments.

We started slowly, I thought things looked ominous for a while as Watford played the ball around well, got it up to the front men quickly and their front two looked dangerous but didn't really get all that close in on goal. We had a couple of "moments" at the back, especially that one when Ropes totally mis-kicked near the penalty spot and it looked odds-on a Watford player putting it away - but alert defending (was it Bazeley who cleared it?) saved the day.

Then that first goal turned the game in our favour. OK so some will say it was a fluke, but when Tiger Woods judges distance and drops a ball on the pin they say it's genius, today Bazely judged the distance for that bounce off the bar to absolute perfection, and Driller did the rest by putting it on a plate for Junior. (No I don't really mean it, it was a fluke of course, but it's about time the luck turned our way a bit).

After that we gradually got on top and in the end IMHO we were well worth the win, especially excellent for most of the second-half.

Driller played very well, Ropes was brilliant, just that one first-half error but so what ? Corica covered acres of ground, Zigor came good after a few early clearances/passes got charged down 'cos he didn't put his toe behind 'em quickly enough, Robinson took a while to get fully involved but then looked very good and came close to scoring - looks a very useful addition. The whole defence coped very well considering the re-organising that had to go on due to Hay and Carbon injuries - top marks !

Particular praise for Pedro's crosses from the left, how we've been missing that, and although we've all said he lacks pace, they couldn't get ahead or alongide him to prevent that superb pin-point cross onto Jorge's head for a memorable second. I'd say it was the best goal on the break I've seen from us at Bescot in many a long day.

Wednesday is a big big game, but with Sjoke stuck on 25 points and us now 11 above them, and also now 7 above both 3rd AND 4th from bottom, maybe we can be a little more relaxed in the build up and be able to play with less fear.

Just time for a couple of quick words of consolation for Sjoke Shitty today and especially for our particular friendly visitor Meir Sjoke - UP YOURS **** for brains !!

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.251) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:41 am: Edit

Great result today, fair performance after the first 15 or 20 minutes, when we didn't seem to have a clue what to do, passing was abysmal we just hoofed the ball upfield again, but we gradually got better and started to pass the ball on the deck more, seemed to coincide with Robinson getting more and more involved in the game, can't remember the last midfielder we had who made so many runs into the box to help the forwards, I think he got on the end of more crosses than either of our centre forwards, even more to come from him and goals as well when he plays alongside a better midfielder than Simpson, put him back on non-contract terms please.
Thought the defence played well today considering all the reorganising we had to do throughout the game, is there a position Wracky cant play, midfield looked better, will improve when Simpson is replaced with Samways, Corica was involved a lot more today, he still can't deliver a decent corner though, Junior and Driller especially played well today, wise decision to take junior off before he got sent off, the two subs Jorge and Pedro (so we do have a wide player who can deliver a decent cross) played very well and certainly changed the game, all in all a very enjoyable game and three very welcome points, bring on Sjoke Shitty, only three more wins and a couple of draws needed from the final 14 games and we're safe.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.163) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 01:52 am: Edit

I agree Rushall, and it looks like you've certainly seen things much the same as me today - I see Jorge14 is tipping Corica to lose his place to Samways at Sjoke on Wednesday - but I'd expect Corica to stay and Simpson to be demoted to the bench. And based on today, that would be the right move for CL IMHO.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 03:04 am: Edit

Yes Meir Sjoke what has happened to you? I mean we have had some sad days in division one in our last 2 seasons, but 6-0....... never. You sad sad sad boy, talk about egg on your face! And just wait until Wednesday when Driller, Junior and Jorge get in amongst you and I win my bet, what you reckon Geoff :o)

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 09:51 am: Edit

For me todays revelation was Bazeley in the middle with more speed than Carbon sweeping behind Ropes so effectively.Also Wrack at the back gave the defence even more speed.When this change in formation occured walsall became a solid attacking unit. Serendipity, great discoveries are made by accident. Something for Lee to think about.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.75) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 10:06 am: Edit

Lee played Wrack at the back last season, and one of the reasons Lee gave for resigning Wrack on a long contract was his versitility, that at a time when I think most people wouldn't have been too bothered if Wrack had left the club as per RG. CL gets awful stick whenever we play badly, maybe he should get a bit of praise when things go well, rather than people saying it just happened by accident

By Jools (62.255.36.89) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

and, did you notice that as soon as the crowd got behind the players, the chants started, the enthusiasm upped and they played their hearts out and Pedro and Jorge combined for that great second goal.

Why don't we give them more support, instead of getting on their backs all the time and being so negative, get behind them, encourage, support and believe in the lads.

Can you imagine how it must feel on that pitch week in week out with little or no vocal or fan support, it is almost like being ignored and none of us like that do we.

Yesterday just goes to show what a bit or positivity can do both from the team and the crowd. WE WON!!!

Jools.

By Shifnalsaddler (62.6.129.4) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

Early second half yesterday, Wrack sprinted across the field from the left to get goalside of a breaking Hornet, made him slow down, then nicked ball off him to concede a throw. Thirty seconds later Watford attacking down the right, who was it winning the ball under pressure near our penalty area and clearing it? Yes, Wracky. That is the sort of commitment we need from players.

Sheff, I didn't notice Corica score six goals, set up six goals or get in position to miss six goals yesterday. I think you are the one with the bias over Corica, Jorge14 just judged on what he'd seen.

Bit shambolic at times early on, but maybe that was Robinson needing time to fit in and adjust. After a mixed start, and nearly gifting a goal, he looked pretty good, nice passing when under challenge.

Roper and Wrack outstanding yesterday, Walker too when needed.

By addo (212.126.151.195) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:34 am: Edit

Check this out...

The Grimsby page of Rivals.net has a relegation calculator.

Fill in all of you predicted results for the teams in the dogfight and it gives you the predicted final table.

I have us being safe with 52 pts in 19th with Stoke doomed, and Bradford also below us.

Be interesting to see what other fans get.

By Neil Ravenscroft (213.48.84.27) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:39 am: Edit

Good performance all round, once the confidence started to flow, after the goal.
Did anyone else notice the linking factor between Hay and Carbon's injuries and Bazeley receiving treatment in the 1st half? Helguson - no coincidence.
Ref good (apart from above)
Robinson - loveley debut.
Lastly, let's start looking up the table, as everyone up to and including Coventry are catchable, especially with the runs they and Derby are having!

By Wondering (81.131.218.132) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Even Geoff's having a go about Sjoke - and after all he said recently about the inane "If you hate the Wolves stand up" chant. Are Sjoke the new Wolves? We should be told.

By Don Rogers (81.131.218.132) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:52 pm: Edit

General match comment - sitting up in with the Gods certainly does give a different perspective on the game, and it is absolutely criminal seeing so much space develop crying out for a forward run into it. First lightning break since 1988, Dave? Could be, but you never know, it could be habit forming. And can we have another throw in tactic as well as Ziggy throwing long to anyone who's heavily marked, please? It can't be too difficult to keep possession. HOWEVER, it's very nice to go home feeling happy and not have to vent one's frustrations on-line like one foolish accountant recently, thus bringing everyone else's wrath down upon his head! I can say now however, that I quite agreed with him at the time! A bad result - or rather performance - shouldn't spoil the evening, but it sure as hell does! Hope you had a good evening last night, Geoff?

By Salop Saddler (213.78.106.220) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 01:06 pm: Edit

Good, solid performance, INCLUDING Corica, who, incidentally, broke up the Watford threat from the corner before setting Pedro off on his run which led to the second. Special mention for the back four, particularly Ropes, who held the various permutations thrust upon us together magnificently.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Don, I think it's a bit unfair to say "foolish", I get upset 'cos of my commitment to the Saddlers, not because I'm foolish mate. And if other people vent their wrath on me for it (which I don't recall they ever have that badly anyway) well at least it livens up the message board, which is exactly why some of us come on here and say controversial things that we don't always believe to be 100% true ! I've done it again today on the subject of Corica, always a hot potato, it'll be interesting to see how Shifnal, Sheffield, Jorge14 and Co react, and why not ?

I read many things on here that I don't agree with, sometimes strongly, but I don't come back at them and describe them as foolish.

I think we did yesterday some of the things I've been moaning about for weeks, the runs into the box in particular.

In the last ten, fifteen, twenty games even, that I've watched, I'd say that first goal would not have happened. People are calling it a fluke but the fluke ended when the ball bounced off the bar and down to the left of goal. Their defender would normally have taken the ball and cleared it with ease, but Driller was on the case, he'd seen the opportunity and made the kind of run into the box that's been missing for ages. He got in on the end of the cross, quite clearly from the TV pics the defender was under pressure and given no time, Driller took advantage of that, got his foot in and deliberately hooked the ball in to Junior and the rest was simple. Driller deserves great credit for making that goal out of nothing, and for me he came good yesterday and has earned his place in the starting eleven next Wednesday.

Wondering, where have you been, I've been showing my dislike of Sjoke for absolutely ages, it's never been concealed. For me the difference between Wolves and Sjoke is that I can understand why Wolves fans have this thing about being a great club, because they've been there, they've got the history - OK it's years ago but it's still their history - but Sjoke fans think they're in the same mould yet they've never done anything approaching what Wolves have achieved.

So when Scott Cooper from WWFC comes on our boards taking the p**s I can take it easier from him than I can from Meir Sjoke.

Finally Don, yes it was a good night, thank you for asking. I was drinking with some of my mates in the local who have a wide mix of footballing loyalties. Everyone agreed that it was an unusual day, and that's true, neither Saddlers nor Albion had lost - though I was happy to point out to the Albion fans that the situation might not look quite so good for them today ! I'm a bit put out that it's a pay-per-view game, I'm not paying up a fiver to watch the Albion at the best of times, never mind when they and their opponents occupy 18th and 19th spots in the table.

By Jorge14 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Sheff, if you are insinuating that I was one of those people who were moaning at him every time he touched the ball, then you are very wrong.

I want Steve to play well as much as the next man, but I don't get on a players back during the game, unless they are having an absolute shocker, and I'm sure that even you get on a players back if that's happening. I was clapping when he got the ball and just played a simple ball wide when others sitting behind me were moaning at him for not moving the ball forward. I felt that he wasn't excellent yesterday, but he didn't play that bad either. I understand why he'd have a lack of confidence, anyone would if they were getting abused by some of their own fans, but what happened to proving them wrong?

Jorge got dropped yesterday but when he came on he wanted the ball, he wanted to score and he did, same with Pedro who I think has more right than anyone in the squad to have low confidence after he has been less than a bit-part player in the team this season.

I would love to see Steve playing as well as he did last season but unfortunately he's not, and hasn't for the majority of this season. All I'm suggesting is that maybe it might do him good to be pulled out of the spotlight on Wednesday night and give Pedro a go. Steve's a great player, we all agree on that, but he's just not performing. However, if I'm proved wrong and Steve plays his way into form then I'll hold my hands up and admit that I was wrong.

Also Sheff, no need for the sarcasm about him scoring 6 and setting up 6, ok? The bet, I would but then I can't see him getting dropped, although in MY OPINION I think he should. Also I'm under the betting age, and speaking technically, we'd both be breaking the law.

Is that a good enough comeback? Well, it's better than Sjoke's chances of mounting a comback to stay up this season.

By lee54 (62.31.205.56) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 02:32 pm: Edit

sorry corica for me gets knocked off the ball far to easy for me although he is the only 1 that can open up defences also well done carl robinson on a great first came for saddlers

By Frank Stubbs (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

What difference a week makes?After the usual shaky start,we settled played some nice stuff and thanks to quick thinging Driller set up Junior quite majestically.Juniors best game so far for me,Driller has earnt a start on wednesday and Roper and the back four solid.New lad looks good,only dissapointment for me Simpson,but with Sonner fit and Samways coming in,its either improve or be dropped.We go to Joke city in good spirit and a win must be gained,3points and we finish them off,lets see what time we can start sending there oh so loyal fans home,my guess about 8.20pm.Oh and there is the little matter of climbing a few places as well.
One thing that does annoy me about following Walsall is the fact that every season we single out a player for abuse,this season its Corica ok he has'nt had the best of seasons,but we need everyone pulling together,when wearing a red shirt.
Onwards and 3points at Joke Shitty Upwards!

By Fish (213.122.217.68) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

A turning point ? I hope so.

We started the game as we ended last week's in Sheffield then grew in confidence following our piece of luck for the first goal.

We must now put a good run together. We have lost 1 in 4 in the league and gained 7 points out of 12, that sort of form will see us comfortably safe well before the end of the season, and bring with it the opportunity to try out some of our youngsters.

Some good performances yesterday, in addition to Roper, Wacker and Robinson (and yes, Aranalde), I was delighted for Zdrillic (brilliant) and pleased for Corica. With the right sort of support he'll be OK.

The pitches are getting better now and will suit our style of play. We must, though, be really focussed on Wednesday, avoid any backlash and be really determined to hurt Stoke.

My team for Weds would be;

Walker
Bazeley
Roper
Hay /Carbon
Aranalde
Wrack
Robinson
Corica
Samways
Zdriller
Jorge

but then what about Junior and Pedro ? I give up.

By Shifnalsaddler (62.6.130.237) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Stubbsy, I haven't really heard Corica get much abuse, plenty of moaning in the pub/driving home after the game, but nothing on the scale that Wrack, Bennett, Roper, Hall and Ricketts have been given during the matches over the last few years.
Some isolated stuff, but most players get that from time to time, but nothing in concert, not that I've noticed anyway.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.165) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Maybe not from yesterday Shifnal, but that's because there wasn't much about Corica to criticise yesterday, but please don't make out Corica isn't copping for it, Christ you and I have only been arguing this Corica thing today on the thread "Player to sign today".

Please read the thread Frank if you haven't already, it confirms that you're right mate, although I'd actually say it's two players, Corica and Aranalde, who are getting most of the stick this season.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Fish - I dont think Samways is fit enough to start just yet mate. I would still stick to Driller and Junior up front on Wednesday, good to have someone like Jorge to come on as a sub, I think he was getting a bit stale so a few matches from off the bench might gee him up.

By Rich Lockley (195.195.45.20) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:03 pm: Edit

For gods sake is this the moment we realise zdrilic is streets before leito and junior, he can head, think pass, hold a ball up better that them not to mention is about 10 times fitter.
Wake up boys all this fancy crap isnt gonna pay off ne need a good roots striker and zdrilich is the man.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Well Rich I said in my post at 12.32pm Sunday that Driller "has earned his place in the starting eleven next Wednesday."

He did himself a lot of good with a great performance on Saturday and I expect him to start at Sjoke, he deserves the place and I'll be surprised if CL thinks otherwise.

Mind you the presence of an attacking midfielder supporting the forwards was also a significant contributing factor. Between Driller and Robinson we had more headers in the box on Saturday than we've probably had in the last seven or eight games put together, not to mention of course that both Junior and Leitao scored with their heads.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 09:50 am: Edit

I think Driller should start again on Wednesday as well. To be honest he has had a raw deal, not helped of course by his persistant injury problems in the first half of the season. HE IS good enough for this division and HE WILL score goals. Just needs to have a consistant run in the first team to show us what he can do.
But isnt it great that we can afford to leave on the bench someone who has scored 10 goals this season. Remarkable I think.

By Geordiesaddler (213.205.138.250) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Sheff, just on a totally unrelated issue, I remember you posting a few months ago about how to select different ITV regions through Sky digital. Would you mind telling me again, there's something I really want to see on ITV's North West region this week. Cheers.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 12:33 pm: Edit

Geordie - I found this on the www -

Using the remote hand control:

go to "Services"
Then 4 - system set-up
Then 4 - add channels
follow the various instructions - then key in this freq. 10.891
then: H
SR: 22.0
FEC: 5/6:
Then high light " Find Channels" hit the select:

You may have to wait for a few minutes before the following letters/numbers appear. The name of the various stations may not be shown but they are as indicated.

R2 2-1: Anglia
R9 2-2: Border England
R14 2-3: Border Scotland
R7 2-4: Granada
R5 2-5: Meridian South
R10 2-6: Tyne Tees
R8 2-7: Yorkshire

When the above show, press the yellow button to obtain a tick, for those to be stored.
then press the select button.

Carry out the same procedures for the blocks below:

Note: Ignore the channels without titles alongside them, I tried but found I got the message:
No information.

10.906V

R12 3-1: Channel
R13 3-2: Grampian
R15 3-3: Scottish
R11 3-4: Ulster

10.832H

R1 1-1: Carlton/LWT
R3 1-3: Central West
R16 1-3: HTV Wales
R4 1-4: HTV West
R6 1-5: Westcountry

At the end of these instructions, press the yellow button to tick those to be stored then press the select button.

When you go back into "Other channels" your stored channels should be there. Highlight the letter/number you want to watch to activate the channel.

By Geordiesaddler (213.205.138.250) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Nice one, thanks for your help.

Return to 2002-03 Season