Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton (h) - League - 1st February 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Brighton (h) - League - 1st February 2003

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:56 am

By Steve Roy (81.77.126.74) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Walsall 1 Brighton 0
Leitao 7

By cannock (194.117.133.180) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

That can only be described as an absolutely disgraceful performance. We were totally outplayed by a bottom of the table side. So dreadful was our performance that it looked as tho’ Brighton should be playing Champions League football.

Colin Lee has tried to convince us that we are a free flowing, attacking, passing side. So much so that he convinced the Chairman to invest heavily in a new playing surface. The Chairman kept his side of the bargain and then Colin Lee’s clueless Saddlers produced a performance so poor that they should all hold their heads in shame.

Never before have I seen a team so clueless, so bereft of ideas and so scared of taking control of a football. When is Colin Lee going to tell the players that a throw in should be to our advantage? We just haven’t a clue how to give the ball to a player in the same coloured shirt. We didn’t have a clue how to mark. All afternoon Brighton took throw ins, free kicks etc with our team standing around looking like a disorganised rabble. Both Corica and Sonner need to sit down and have a word with themselves as they were the worst two players I have seen for a long, long time.

If there are any more totally clueless performances of this nature then Colin Lee should do the decent thing and leave. A decent passing attacking team? My backside. We played exactly the same way as we always have with clueless, aimless balls over the top. Bloody pathetic

Walker 10
Bazeley 7
Aranalde 6
Roper 6
Barras 7
Hay 6
O Connor 7
Corica 4 Pathetic
Sonner 3 Pathetic
Leitao 6
Zdrilic 5

Carbon 6
Emblem 5
Simpson 6

By lee54 (194.117.133.180) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

super jimmy walker what a save at the end
the best ive seen in a long time
as for the rest i think cannock saddler
has not gone far enough 1 for everybody bar super jimmy

& lets not forget some games we have been great
& not got a point it was our turn for a bit of luck
ps colin are u set up yet

By woodster (195.92.198.72) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Steady on old chap. Admittedly I was only listening on the internet audio feed (excruciating as it was) and the game didn't sound very good, but we've picked up a lucky 3 points in much the same way as we've lost points
when we have deserved more this season (Watford away, Wolves home, Norwich away, even Pompey away etc). CL I'm sure did not maintain we played well and I guess it was not great entertainment but I'll take the 3. I've still seen us play some of the best football ever this season home and away.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 07:39 pm: Edit

We have played great and lost this season. Today we have played badly and won. So what would people prefer? 3 points and a bad performance or 0 points and a good performance? I know which one I would want, give me the 3 points anyday!
It seems to me that we have Corica, Sonner and Zdrilic that will never convince people even if they scored a hat trick every match, but who cares over the course of a season they are proven quality first division players.
Oh and Cannock i have seen many of a performance like this over 20 years of watching Walsall FC. Just seems to me you have a very selective memory.

By Dave Gittins (195.92.194.13) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 07:42 pm: Edit

How did we manage to finish today with a victory? By and large it was one of the least effective performances I have seen for a long time, the only goal coming from our one and only piece of flowing football - Bazeley's cross from his overlapping run was superb and Leitao's header was perfectly placed. If I was a Brighton fan I would be shaking my head in disbelief - hit the woodwork 3 times and when they managed to find the area between the posts Jimmy was in superb form. If they can continue this sort of form you have got to fancy Brighton to beat the drop.

I suppose, on reflection, today was one of those days when the result was more important than the performance.

Incidentally, when was the last time we heard a cheer at Bescot when we found out the Wolves were winning?!!

By Chris Needham (217.39.67.184) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Why is Zdrilic a "proven" first division player?

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.74) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

I can't believe some of the things that get posted on this message board. So we played cr@p and won - so what? Did anyone go on the Pompey message board and call for the head of Harry Rednapp when they beat us? Did any Dingles feel the slightest bit embarrassed at the lucky nature of their victory at Bescot - not the ones I had the displeasure of speaking to. We've played some great entertaining football some of which ended in cruel undeserved results. Did the oppo have a cruel undeserved result today? WELL FIRKIN DIDDUMS. We're about three wins away from being in the 1/4 finals of the FA cup and first division safety and you want the manager out, go and have a pint and chill out, and think yourself lucky you were able to get to the game to see us win, I wish I could have been there - seen all the "great performances unlucky results" 'till I was sick to the back teeth and love cr@p perfomances that end in victory - I could watch them all season and then buy the video.

By popperpancake (81.77.91.175) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

I have never seen a more undeserved 3 points gained by a team. But who cares? I certainly don't and we probably won't play that badly again this season.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.13) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Chris Needham! Yes proven first division. Ever took any notice of any leagues outside the UK? Like Germanys? Must totally agree with Geordie. Amazing isnt it, Cannock, we got 3 points mate, look on the bright side for the first time in your life. Get of Coricas and Lees back for the first time in your life. Did you go to Portsmouth? Did you go to Derby? Did you go to Coventry? Did you go to Sheffield United? All games away from home were we deserved 3 points and got nothing or 1.
Do you not realise if it wasnt for your favourites Corica and Lee we wouldnt be in this division anyway?
Or was it just sheer luck we survived last season?

By 1933 (81.131.150.42) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Cannock - You posted too soon after the match and your anger was waiting to come out.

I'm sure upon reflection some of the comments you made you already regret (or should regret).

Ok - the performance was not great but nowing Walsall next Saturday the performance will be good and hopefully the result will be.

To be honest I think today one player was missed greatly... Darren Wrack and who'd have thought that at the beginning of the season. Junior will also be back next week so look on the bright side - 3 points and only stoke below us getting a point.

I was a tiny bit surprised that young Hawley was'nt on the bench today. I though that we could have done with an extra striker.

Anyway - hope Roper is'nt too bad after going off.

By Dave mickle (195.92.194.11) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

We were very poor today after we scored. Brighton should have won confortably but did not take the chances that they created. That said it was great for things to go our way and to get the three points.
Leiteo got the sponsors man of the match, but after the game Super Jim was carrying the prize crate of beer around obviously given to him post match by Jorge. What an absolutely stunning save in the last minute that was worth the entrance fee on its own.

By 1933 (81.131.150.42) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Jimmy got the Supporters club motm award and leitao got the sponsors to clear it up.

By Chris Needham (217.39.34.57) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Hmmmm. You'd be talking about the three goals he scored in the Bundesliga or perhaps the 12 he scored in the Second division.

Why do you always look down on people who don't agree with you Sheffield.

You think your the only one who knows jackshit about football.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.71) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Just one final thought about this "season of disappointment" as some would have it. We have played 36 games in all competitions. In all those games we have lost 5 times by more than one goal, never by more than 2 goals. On two of those occasions we have conceded the second goal in the last minute. In all but three games out of 36 supporters have gone to games and seen us have a chance of getting something out of the game up until the last kick - this is WFC competing as a decent first division club for the first time in 40 years. Then people come on here and say "never before have I seen a team so clueless". Clueless?? where were you at Gillingham in 91, or at any time during the Barnwell/Hibbit/Sibley/latterday Fraser/Ashman/Martin/Sorensen/Latterday Graydon eras. Cannock ordinarily I would say you would make a great Makem, but even their fans managed to do themselves proud during the second half of today's shambles. You need a holiday, may I recommend about five years on the island of Stella Artois.

By reduntilimdead (62.30.112.1) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

i have always thought cannock was an a$$ now he has proved it

By 4two_TheSaddlersFC (195.93.49.13) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 10:20 pm: Edit

so the guy isnt allowed an opinion to the game if he pay's his money to go and watch? Dont be so daft. If you dont like other people voicing their opinions then keep off fansites and stick to http://www.saddlers.co.uk

So what if we win a scrappy game against a bottom of the table side. My opinion is that its good to see that we have the charecter to come through a game like that.

By Creative Saddler (217.44.83.162) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

And don't forget that Zdrilic "proved" himself over 2 seasons in the "1st" with 2 clubs that were both relegated. According to the stats he scored a fantabulous 4 goals over those two seasons ; according to his own web-site he scored at least 6....

What further proof do you need that Sheffield is in fact Ron Manager.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.13) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 11:16 pm: Edit

He has scored 6 goals this season. Leitao 10 and Junior 9 I think. So 3 less and a number of games less played. What else does he need to prove? He didnt play in the German league because he was rubbish now did he!
Yes Cannock is allowed his opinion, but all he does is look on the downside of whatever we do. His prediction in the competition last week just proves that. Was it 3-0 to Wimbleson or something like that.
Everyone would think that it is the first bad match we have played for 20 years the way he goes off. If we had lost 5-0 at home fair enough. But hey we won 1-0 and have 3 points more at the end of the day then we started with!

By cannock (194.117.133.180) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Admittedly, i made some rash statements in what can only be described as a highly emotional mindset after such a dire performance. However, i have never previously slated Corica or Sonner but felt choked by their contributions today. With regards to Colin Lee, i may have been a little over the top but i do feel as though there are some issues regarding our play that both he and the coaching staff have to take responsibility for.

As an aside, hopefully this will remain an open forum for people to express their views irrespective of whether the board bully boys agree or disagree.

And finally, aren't you the ass reduntilimdead who a few months ago threw his teddies in the corner, tipped the pram over and started calling everyone on this site a W****R claiming you hated this site anyway over some minor dispute. Grow up.

By 4two_TheSaddlersFC (195.93.49.13) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

u must the feel the same way over Corica and Sonner as i do with Zig sometimes.

i understand Cannock,

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

Who are the board bully boys then? And who is reduntilimdead?

By Stu (195.92.67.76) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

I don't care if we play like that every week if we take the points. The first 20 minutes we looked quite good, ball on the deck and getting it out wide. Bazeley and Ziggy getting down the flanks, then we took our foot off the gas and seemed to think we'd cruise it. We never got back into it after that. If Driller and Jorge put that double chance into the net for 2-0 it'd have been over early on. As it was, we couldn't step it up again as they didn't give us the chance.
Give Brighton credit, they gave us very little time on the ball.
But, overall, I'm fed up of saying "How did we manage to lose that". So, to play •••• and win doesn't bother me. Playing bad and winning is the sign of a half decent team.

Previously, we'd have crumbled today with no luck but for once things are changing. Luck was on our side and we took the points.

I think having a go at Driller is a bit unfair, neither he or Jorge were impressive today. But, what do you expect when they're given very little support and a constant flow of long balls to deal with. Why did we suddenly stop using the flanks after 30 minutes? Thats what Jorge and Driller wanted, they wanted people out wide who they could get the ball to. Instead, they were forced to plough through the middle. Corica looked off the pace, I presume due to not getting many games lately and that had a big impact.

But, lets stop the moaning eh. Or would you rather we lost 1-0 but played superbly, I know which I'd prefer!

By reduntilimdead (62.30.112.1) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

no cannock i think it was something rubbish u said on the board for a change that showed u hadnt got a clue and u just proved it tonight.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.76) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

To be honest its days like this that make me not even want to bother reading the like of this message board again. I think we've got a hardcore of whinging, yowling, numbty, titbrained, hensarsedmouthed, alexfergusonednosed, twerp. who follow our football club. Shifnal mentioned about young players on another thread today regarding how they must feel in respect of abuse received. Imagine being CL or any player looing at this thread tonight. I really hope that we win our next three games or so, so the twerp who have been expressing their well thought opinions on how crap we are in comparison with our illustrious history can come on here and swallow gulpfulls of humble pie. I just hope they will be big enough to do that, becuase so far they've all had loads to say about what we should have achieved this season - based on what???? Lets be Cr@p in the league and have a cup run instead like in wonderful 1975, oh no were in the first division and in the cup! Hell what now? Lets moan about 1-0 home wins, Yeahhhh!!! Lee out, Lee Out, Bonser Out, Sack the Gateman, Bring back effin Alf Wood, Give me a moss ridden blocked drain to p!ss up at Mansfield away and 'oil be 'oppy, lets all go to Halifax next week instead of the Leicester game just to remind us of the good old days shall we?

By Frank Stubbs (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 01:17 am: Edit

How can anyone be critical of the lads when they had to go out and perform on a totally alien playing surface what is this grass stuff anyway!.......In all seriousness it was poor but the points are on the board,i watched us outplay Pompey and Norwich and get nowt.Its about winning and thats what we done.Walker outstanding and i hope Roper is ok.Keep banging on about a new forward one is definitely needed,not going to slag players off,i have watched to much crap over the years,not to be enjoying 1st division football.Relegation no way bring on the Foxes!
Onwards and upwards as always.

By Paul G (194.117.133.180) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 02:54 am: Edit

I'm with Geordie on this one. There can be no arguing that this season has been the finest ever to follow the saddlers. Yes there have been moments in the past - derby wins, milk cup runs etc. But this is the best squad we have ever seen consistently competing in every game at the highest level we have ever competed at. And we get to watch it from the best stand with the best view we have ever had. And still the moaning drones on....blah blah Corica blah blah too long to queue for a pie in the purple stand etc etc.

Could we ever honestly have said we would have come this far just 5 years ago? Some people obviously never saw Lard Arse Lillis and Alan McKnightmare at places like Glandford Park and Spotland.

Yes today was a desperatly poor performance but we won. And Corica was OK. Caught in possession a few times in dangerous places but only because when he got the ball his team mates hid from him. Dont forget he instigated several half chances to score. I can't understand why people dislike him. He has the hardest job of anyone in the team. He has to create and lead the attack. Not just mop up like Tony Barras who seem people here seem to rave about.

Best thing about today was The Green Green Grass of Home before kick off. Nice touch. Someone has a sense of humour.

By Aldridge Saddler (195.92.168.169) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:18 am: Edit

Feel sorry for the match sponsers who have to name a m/o/m.
should have been shared between Walker and the goal frame.
Did anyone notice O'Conner urging the team on from the touchline after he came off ?, gave Walker some abuse when he punting a clearance into touch.
Wonder if the team have been ordered in for training today, cos one things for sure had it have been 0-1 they would have been.
The 3 points though were the most important thing though and as most people have stated on hHope I'm wrong on that, just got a feelimg
ere, better to play badly and win than to play well and get nothing.
Just one final point, I hope in a few weeks time we don't start getting quotes from CL saying thing like "the team seem to have a fear factor playing on this new pitch, peple seem to expect to much from the team" ect, instead of the old quotes of "we can't play our passing game on this surface".
Hope I'm wrong on that, just got a feeling....

By Mark Poole (213.122.94.215) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:48 am: Edit

agaist brighton we played badley but we didnt lose any goals so why all the moaning we defended fantasticaly u have to give brighton there due they were fantastic and it looked like they shouldnt be where they r so keep off the players backs every team has a bad day and im sure we will play worse and still win so just give them a break we got 3 points ok it dont matter how we get points as long as we get them from a loyal walsall fan

By mark poole (213.122.94.215) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 11:04 am: Edit

if u agree with the message above or disagree e-mail me on [email protected] thank u come on saddlers

By Warsaw Saddler (213.76.104.22) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 11:37 am: Edit

We nearly always seem to play badly with five across the back, I suppose Reading was the exception. There doesnt seem to be any obvious reason for it, it can be an exciting way to play. I dont know why we persevere with it though. I suppose with Wrack out and Herivelto gone, and he has no fath in Pedro... No wonder he wants Ainsworth so much.

By Mark W (212.159.40.106) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:15 pm: Edit

They say that luck evens out over the course of the season This was certainly the case yesterday.I will definately stop whinging about unlucky Walsall now.
Has our new announcer been sacked already? The green green grass of home was great though.
Why did our 2 wingbacks stop playing yesterday?This made the difference as it meant that we didnt have anything going forward.Jorge and Driller didnt receive a decent ball between them in the second half.MOC and Corica did not look match fit but this was not helped by Sonner being awful.
I heard a rumour that Sonner wants to leave because he thinks he's too big for Walsall and is said to have asked for his name to be put about.Some players think they are much better than they actually are!

By walsall youth (62.31.64.2) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:17 pm: Edit

cannok u are one big twerp saying colin lee has to leave just because we played one bad game.•••• me a team is entitled to one bad game.

cannok get a life

By Shifnalsaddler (213.120.56.41) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:23 pm: Edit

All is chaos! This is what happens when Wracky doesn't play. Take note, all you Wrack haters, yesterday was what you agitated for, what you so dearly wanted. Enjoy it did you? He'll be back next week, I hope.

Rubbish yesterday, outplayed and kept in it by the goalie and the woodwork. Makes up for Norwich before Chrimbo, you win some, you lose some.

I still think we should be doing better though. I know we were rubbish under Hibbitt and Sorensen, but those days are gone, we should have more points, and should be playing better football. Look at the bench yesterday, Emblen, Carbon, Simspon, they cost millions between them, and have a total of at least a thousand games at this level. This is a seriously talented squad. I saw Fatty Lillis, McKnightofthelivingdead, I also saw Jimmy Dainty, Jimmy Kelly, Chris Demetrios, Steve Jones and others, but there is no one at the club now who is anything like that lot.

I want this squad to achieve what they are capable of, simple as that. Avoiding relegation shouldn't be enough, not for this team.

I've seen us before fail to do ourselves justice, the Fraser and Buckley teams come to mind, I don't want it again.

Blah blah Corica blah blah.

If we're going to stick to the same formation, then Wrack in for Corica and Junior for Zdrillic, assuming availability. Carbon for Roper if he's injured (hope not though, still my player of the season so far).

By cannock (194.117.133.180) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Enough, Enough. I have been bathing my wounds. Enough punishment has been dished out. Today is another day and reality has now taken over from emotional madness on my part.

I have done a non emotional re-write.

Poor performance today but a welcome 3 points. Walsall started off reasonably brightly with Aranalde and Bazeley getting forward down both flanks. However, after the goal we faded away badly and Brighton took control of the game. It was only the woodwork and Super Jim's man of the match performance that kept us in the game.

However, i would like to see Colin Lee and the coaching staff do some awareness training on the training ground in the area of picking up opposition players from throw ins and free kicks etc. I would also like to see some alternative approach to our current throw in scenario which at the moment seems to be hurling the ball forward in the hope one of our players will get onto it.

All in all a pretty woeful performance which fortunately culminated in 3 points.

Phew! Hows that? I am going to stick some ointment on my scars from my recent kicking.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.75) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Ok, now we're in the cold light of day. Shifnal, or anybody else for that matter, what would you regard as being success this season? I know I was one of the optimists talking about play offs in August, we've dropped far too many silly points for that now, and I agree with you we should be doing better than where we are. To me if we beat Sheff Utd and beat the 14th finish of 1962 then that goes in the record books as being our most successful season ever - no arguments.

By 1933 (81.131.81.215) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

The Mercury points out that because of the Ricketts money and the FA Cup run, we will be the only Football League club to finish the season in the black.

In the modern world of football that's success.

By Stu (195.92.67.71) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Warsaw, you state we nearly always play badly with 5 at the back! I don't neccessarily agree with that, as you can't really count home performances with our pitch in the state it has been. Not to mention we were superb against Wimbledon last week. But, most importantly, have you seen our defensive record lately? We've actually really tightened up, conceding 1 goal in our last 4 matches and 3 in our last 7. We haven't scored as often either, but 4 of those matches have been on our awful pitch where it was difficult to create a chance.

I think this 3-5-2 is working well, espeically when Bazeley and Zigor use the flanks.

Geordie, spot on. It seems some people are never happy. Yesterday, we ground out 3 points that earlier in the season we'd have lost...

By 1933 (213.122.219.245) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

...and the one goal we have conceded in the last 4 matches was that one against the Wolves.

By Moaning Saddler (212.134.234.239) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Well at least Moaning Junior thought it was a superb performance - he witnessed his first goal from the Saddlers in 5 home games he has seen this season (or rather witnessed the reaction of the people of front of him who blocked his view...)

Unemotional report follows :

http://www.moaningsaddler.co.uk

By Alan (193.237.147.217) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Wow, if only some of you lot got so animated at Bescot - we'd have a fantastic atmosphere.

Yesterday was crap, play like that against Leicester and we will be hammered.

Cannock - don't apologise for having an opinion. You obviously weren't around when Sheff.Saddler made some of his outspoken comments in the past (like suggesting Graydon should be sacked in the season we went up via the Play-Offs).

Football is a passionate game, fans do get emotional and make irrational statements. If some of you find this upsetting, you could always try cricket.

By alan mcknightmare (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

paul g it was presfield the home of gillingham not spotland that was the seen of alan mcknightmare! slag off all you like but get the facts right!

By Salop Saddler (213.78.105.236) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

It's all about winning, it's as simple as that. What happenend yesterday wasn't pretty but I'd settle for that next week, the week after, and the week after that. In truth, and sadly, we are in a survival fight at the moment. It dosen't matter how the points come as long as they do. So let's remain positive, get focused on Leicester, and aim for another win, lucky or otherwise. Keep the opposing views coming, this is a democracy, and as I've said before, irrespective of differing opinions, we're still all in this together.

By Shifnalsaddler (213.120.56.33) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Geordie, interesting question.
I never seriously thought we could make the play offs, but I thought a finishing place of around tenth or eleventh, give or take, was reasonable and achieveable. We might still do it of course.

Best squad we've ever had, and much of the rest of the division in total disarray. We usually are competing with other clubs who invest millions, but little of that this year, many of our rivals have been selling off good players rather than bringing them in. This was the season to really make a mark.

Also I think we should be playing better football. Cannock was possibly OTT in saying we were clueless, but if he'd used the word confused, I think it would have been nearer the mark. He's certainly got a point when he remarks on the apparent lack of coaching.
I didn't expect to go three home games without getting a shot on target, and the excuse about the pitch was just that IMO, an excuse.

As for the Cup, how much should we read into it? I look on it as a bonus, I love the big cup days when they come round, but it's the league that paints a true picture. If it's the cup that really counts, then the Big Fat Jan season has to be considered a success, but actually it was a shambles.

I've never thought we'd go down this season, but I do think we've missed out to an extent.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.166) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

I was angry like Cannock yesterday, so I thought I'd hang on until today to get it together.

It was an awful performance, though Brighton, the bar, the posts and Wakker all entertained us and kept us on the edge of our seats for sure.

The save in the last minute was worth the entrance fee on it's own, I wish they'd show it on the TV though, just for a second look. If that had been David James, Barthez, Seaman, Robinson, Hoult (spit) and Co. it would have been run and run a hundred times by now !

We weren't bad until Driller and Jorge contrived between them to miss that open goal when Beasant gifted them the chance by dropping Corica's shot. After that Brighton must have seen there could be something in this game for them, they stepped it up while we went downhill big-time, but thankfully the luck held out, which is a big change for us I'm glad to say.

Maybe we can take something from this win (as well as the 3 vital points), maybe this is the start of the luck turning in our favour, God knows we've had enough games this season that have gone against us when we should have won, both home and away.

Let's hope this type of bad performance is a one-off and we can get back to playing football starting next week against the Foxes. I don't think we can play that badly again, thank God we reserved it for a game we still managed to win, lots of other teams would not have let us off the hook like Brighton did yesterday !

If we could play that badly and win, I can feel my optimism counter rising again !

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.70) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Shifnal, I think a finish of tenth or eleventh, coupled with a cup run to the 1/4 finals or beyond (bonus or not), would be an achievement more acurately described as history in the making. I agree clubs are in disarray, but when the likes of Derby can sell Christie and Riggot, then pull Kinkladze out of the reserves, when Leicester bemoan their lack of signings, but can still field the like of Izzet, Dickov, Elliot, Deane, davidson etc. you realise that there are still bags of quality players in this division, against whom we are routinely pitching home grown and former lower division free transfer players such as Walker, Wrack, Roper, Barras, etc.

By gettingmyfactsright (194.117.133.180) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

According to my encyclopedia of the Saddlers Alan McKnight played in goal for Walsall at Spotland on January 1st 1992.

By popperpancake (81.77.102.42) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

Although i've said in the past that i think it has been a season where we could have done better, the fast is we have been in this league a very short length of time. We are ten points of the relegation zone and in the last 16 of the cup. The squad we have this season is undoubtedly the most talented the club has ever had but has been together a relatively short length of time. I admit i had dreams of being up near the play offs after the end to last season, but as geordie and shifnal say 10th or 11th would have been more realistic. If we keep the majority of the squad together, obviously add a few more good quality players then we'll keep movng forward. Only a couple of times this season (notably rotherham at home) have i been genuinely pissed off with our perfomance. The one thing that worried me was for a spell in the second half we seemed to give up picking up from throw ins (epsecially quickly taken ones) and let a player pick it up and turn without putting any kind of challenge in.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.13) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

It was probably me that mentioned it first but can we stop talking about Allen Mckightmare and 1992, I'm beginning to feel manicly depressed. Just seen Britain's angriest me on the telly, that wasn't you on the way home from Bescot Cannock by any chance?

By cannock (194.117.133.180) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 01:04 am: Edit

LOL As Shifnal has witnessed when he had the misfortune to be seated behind me, i do get a little over excited somewhat and tend to stomp off 5 mins before the end before the inevitable equaliser. I just cannot bear to concede a goal to draw or lose in the last few minutes.

It tends to ruin the whole weekend.

By Dr S Freud (217.40.212.57) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 11:24 am: Edit

Cannock, you appear to have issues. Tell me about your childhood...

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Very lucky, played poorly, so what?
3 points, everyone below us bar Stoke got beat, another clean sheet, Jorge ends his mini barren spell....as others have said, it makes up for days like Portsmouth away, Norwich away etc.
Looking at next weeks fixtures, lets hope Wolves do us a favour at Brighton, Norwich should be able to take points off The Owls, and here'spraying for a Grimsby v Stoke draw....then anything we get against Leicester is a bonus.

By cannock (194.117.133.180) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 12:33 pm: Edit

Quite, i have been a few pence short of a full quid for some time now Doc. Unfortunately my behavioural patterns certainly won't be found in a text book. After having recently applied for a new job i had to undertake a psychometric test. The fact that the company wouldn't employ me and recommended that i be sectioned was certainly worrying.

By PJD (213.122.130.136) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 02:02 pm: Edit

The performance was appaling that is for sure, and we got lucky, very lucky. But our record in 2003 so far is played 7 won 3 (one on pens) drawn 3 and lost one (to a freak goal) All against first division opposition. Not bad eh?

The manager knows what saturday was and so do the players. Did you see them get together (I think when Roper was down) and try and sort it out. They knew they were having an off day. Lets thank our lucky stars and get on to the Leicester game. I think Junior coming back will help us to maintain possession. He makes himself available and holds the ball up far more than Driller.

I've got a good feeling about the game. I think we're going to turn them over.

In view of the best team ever, I wasn't around for the 61-62 season, but my old man reckons, McPherson, Richards and Taylor would walk into the Walsall team today. But if we can stay in Div 1 for three seasons, that has to be very near the top. Lets hope we can establish ourselves as a permanent fixture at this level.

By the way, people are talking about the money from Ricketts and the cup run. Don't forget that the club owes Bonser £1m for the purple stand.

By Mr. N. Ron (194.117.133.180) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

plus whatever interest he managed to cojole out of himself

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Can't really disagree with anybody's points about saturdays match just about summed up the way I felt about it and I think my posting would have been as bad as Cannocks if I had posted on Saturday evening, I felt just the same, I've calmed down now and at the end of the day we got the three points and that's what will matter at the end of the season.

By Cockerney Saddler (212.82.80.2) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

no one has mentioned the pitch. what was it like and how did it play?

By PJD (213.122.171.82) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Coming into the ground I couldn't believe it. The pitch looked like a carpet (Albeit with lots of joins)

During the pre match warm up, the lads we doing some shuttle runs and when one of them (Barras I think) dug his foot in for a sharp turn, a big lump of turf came up and I thought, oh oh!

But to be honest the pitch was amazing. I was expecting it to cut up badly as people twisted and turned, but in fact, it only rarely came up and then the players on both sides were very quick to stamp it down.

The only thing I could think during the game, was that we passed the ball better against the Wolves on the old pitch!

By Predictable Joke Saddler (203.97.2.243) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Unfortunately we'll have to wait the requisite ten home games before being able to judge the performance of the pitch.

By 1933 (81.131.131.183) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Uriah Rennie is the ref for the Leicester match.

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.180) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Mart had better calm down his holding the ball out, protesting to the ref!

By Frank Stubbs (195.93.33.13) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Geordie......We should never stop talking about Allan Mcnightmare, it shows just how far we have come on since those days.I just wish todays away following had the humour and characters that we had back then.

By Alan McKnight (213.78.96.253) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

Dear all, thank you for remembering me with such fondness. I always prided myself on the exceptional and professional service I gave to all the clubs who employed me. Thank you. Alan.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.13) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

Fair comment Fred, but I can remember people saying the same thing back then about previous generations of fans and games. I think generally I've enjoyed away trips as much over the last few years as at any time in the past, and some of the atmospheres created, particularly during the first Graydon season, have been as good as any when we were busy taking the p!ss out of anything that moved. There's still plenty of familiar faces from 10, 20 years ago and some from as long as I can remember. Its just that some have gone all familiy orientated, or so pickled in acohol they think we're still in the fourth division, others became accountants, and a few are still bound over to keep the peace.

By The hooded claw (217.39.42.149) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

ahhhh....away days. I can remember the time we....erm....

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 04:16 am: Edit

We were lucky, lucky, lucky.
Played crap and the future looks so grim.
Lucky to win by 1 goal and we didn't deserve it.
What a tragedy for the opposition.
We need to sack the manager and most of the players after a useless performance against a side well down the table.
Oh - this is the Arsenal Web Site isn't it?

By belgian saddler (213.224.83.78) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 09:56 am: Edit

geordie: and some went to belgium although the pickled in alcohol comment is also valid.....

By Geordiesaddler (213.205.138.250) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 11:09 am: Edit

Its remarkable considering how few games either of them played that McKnight and Bamber (got an airing on a thread the other day?), still get talked about with such distain. I always felt a bit sorry for Bamber, I think there was a lot worse than him over the years. I know he was poor,and about as athletic as Bernard Manning on a Sunday morning - but the guy scored at better than a goal every 2.5 games whilst with us. The brief spell he had at the start of 84/5, ie. the season after he joined, he scored 4 goals in 8 games and was then sold. Steve Elliot who came in to replace him scored 5 goals in 28 games for the remainder of that season, and yet was fairly popular as I remember. To me Dale Banton has to be the worst stiker ever.

By belgian saddler (213.194.41.34) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 11:37 am: Edit

steve round? dave syrett?

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 11:46 am: Edit

My personal anti-hero...Roy McDonough, a sort of very poor mans Brett Angell.

PS
I see Martinez got MOM for Swansea on his debut!

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Dale Banton, ouch. What a star, what a haircut. Unfortunately he was a Saddler when I started out and he does linger in the memory.

Here's something to remind you of his prowess!

http://aldershotfc.bravepages.com/action834.html

By PJD (62.6.68.230) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Did you know Roy McDonough was playing for Colchester as late as 1994?!? Astonishing! (According to soccerbase.com)

Didn't he become player manager of Northampton after he left us. I seem to remember him playing for the cobblers at FP (or was that playing cobblers at FP, both would apply)

By Ian Gittins (213.123.129.19) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 01:31 pm: Edit

I seem to recall a story about McDonough being sent off more times in his career than any other player. Yes, Dave Syrett was grim: wasn't he here in the Frank Sibley relegation season? I always thought his strike partner Jimmy Williams was OK, though.

By Frank Stubbs (195.93.49.13) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 01:50 pm: Edit

Dale Banton £75.000.I'm sure Bonser still quotes my first line when asked why we never spend money on players.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 02:10 pm: Edit

McDonough is the record holder for career sendings off.

By popperpancake (195.224.209.239) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Off topic but electronicfishcake relegation calculator is back on the rivals grimsby site. For those still worried.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Geoff....please don't start on the calculator just yet. It's not worth the stress!

By Ian Gittins (213.123.129.19) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 06:05 pm: Edit

3pts from that one, and maybe one from that... hang on, isn't Roper suspended for that game? Oh bugger, make it none... and Sjoke might beat Millwall, if Wise is out... how will Wednesday do against Forest? Brighton v Bradford? Well, Zamora can nick a point for them... we'll beat Rotherham, er, or will we? Robins and Byfield might be up for it... let's say a point... Dingles will blow it in May, so Grimsby might get three points there... so we're on what? 37? Or 38? Oh, sod this... anyone fancy a pint?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

I'm taking your advice Tim. Only just about managed to survive self-assessment, then the Brighton game next day nearly finished me off, I've no energy left for forecasting the whys and wherefores of survival or relegation. I've already forecast we won't get the standard necessary 50 points, I haven't changed my mind on that, but I've also decided that at least three and hopefully four other sides will finish up with less points than us, so whatever we get will be enough.

Dunno' where that came from, think it came to me in a dream. I'd have preferred Kylie !

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.180) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

The Albion fan at work with a brain (one of the very few) reckons that this year, far less than 50 points will be enough. I tend to agree with him.

By hullsaddler (213.249.172.37) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

Well at least Brighton have lost this evening.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 01:48 am: Edit

Neil, that's as I've said above really. Although we won't get to 50 IMHO, the sides below are now looking more and more like finishing well short, barring a complete reversal of fortunes in the next 16 games.

Sad thing still is that we should have been there easily on performances, it's still hard to work out how we managed to lose some of those earlier home games. But at least the three points from that dreadful performance last Saturday claimed back a fair old slice of the earlier bad luck !

Long may it continue !!

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 10:16 am: Edit

Geoff, we only need five wins and two draws from the remaining 16 games to make the magic fifty points, definitely gettable in my opinion and as well, however many more wins we achieve from now on in - Brighton need to win five more games than us, Sheff Wed 4 more and Sjoke and Grimsby need to win 3 more, and have you seen some of their remaining games this season, tougher run-ins than ours last season when we already had more points at this stage of the season than any of the current bottom four have accumulated so far.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 10:51 am: Edit

Quite right, Rushall. We still have very winnable home games v Burnley, Coventry, Watford, Millwall and Derby (don't forget Norwich are no great shakes away from home, either) and away games where wins or draws are very achievable at Preston, Rotherham, Weddy, Grimsby, Sjoke and Bradford, never mind the unexpected points!

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

Actually, I'd have rather had Wimbledon lose to Brighton, to keep them down amongst us bottom feeders.

And Geoff...I didn't mean the stress it would cause you...I meant the stress it would cause the rest of us when you posted your findings!

By Ian Gittins (213.123.132.145) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:46 am: Edit

Bottom feeders? I've always felt a strong, healthy self-image is very important...

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Hmmm...not sure where 'bottom feeders' came from?
I blame the usual suspects..
Saddam, Wacko Jacko, Maralyn Manson [poor spelling], etc etc.

By Arse Licker (203.41.31.8) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Am I included here???

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.168) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:28 am: Edit

Rushall, I like how you say ONLY 5 wins and 2 draws to get to 50. I still don't think we'll quite make 50. I agree though that the other teams below us have to win so many more than us, and time is running out for them.

What does "tougher run-ins than ours last season" mean mate ? Our run-in last season was always going to be the easiest sequence of games in the whole season, so it's not difficult to come up with a more difficult run in - just look at ours this season !

Neil, I don't want to appear negative, but I mean, dream on, if we get anywhere near the points you think are possible in your list, I'll be delighted, and WE'll have 54 points or so that IMHO we are very unlikely to achieve.

"Never mind the unexpected points" ? Let's not get carried away, they are already in your list.

Tim, sorry but I can't agree about Brighton vs. Wombles, while teams like Brighton are below us let's keep 'em there, the fewer points they get, the fewer we need to get ourselves to stay safe. For those just above us and playing each other, yes draws are better so neither side gets 3 points over us, the more games they draw the better for us.

Obviously it goes without saying that when the sides juat above us are playing non-relegation-threatened sides we want 'em to lose, to stop 'em pulling further ahead of us.

Right now I'll settle for 48 points and 5th from bottom, and re-group for next season.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.168) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:29 am: Edit

Rushall, I like how you say ONLY 5 wins and 2 draws to get to 50. I still don't think we'll quite make 50. I agree though that the other teams below us have to win so many more than us, and time is running out for them.

What does "tougher run-ins than ours last season" mean mate ? Our run-in last season was always going to be the easiest sequence of games in the whole season, so it's not difficult to come up with a more difficult run in - just look at ours this season !

Neil, I don't want to appear negative, but I mean, dream on, if we get anywhere near the points you think are possible in your list, I'll be delighted, and WE'll have 54 points or so that IMHO we are very unlikely to achieve.

"Never mind the unexpected points" ? Let's not get carried away, they are already in your list.

Tim, sorry but I can't agree about Brighton vs. Wombles, while teams like Brighton are below us let's keep 'em there, the fewer points they get, the fewer we need to get ourselves to stay safe. For those just above us and playing each other, yes draws are better so neither side gets 3 points over us, the more games they draw the better for us.

Obviously it goes without saying that when the sides juat above us are playing non-relegation-threatened sides we want 'em to lose, to stop 'em pulling further ahead of us.

Right now I'll settle for 48 points and 5th from bottom, and re-group for next season.

By Exile (203.96.111.237) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:20 am: Edit

Geoff, your second post of the night appears to be somewhat tautological!

By salop saddler (213.78.113.203) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:03 pm: Edit

I'll echo Geoff's point...I'll echo Geoff's point.

By Geoff Halibut (213.2.51.198) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

It does look fishy

By Salop Saddler (213.78.113.203) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Very fishy, allowing for the fact the a ROE is encountering the same problems on another thread. Or is it simply a red herring?

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.234) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:57 pm: Edit

This is the last plaice I expected to see a thread disintegrate into puns.

Cod you just leave this thread alone ?

By Ian Gittins (217.40.215.101) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Stop it, you pikey, you're giving me a haddock. Maybe I'll take a Rennie...

By Paul Guppy (213.78.114.81) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Why are you doing this to me?

By Ian Gittins (217.40.215.101) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Stand up, if you hake the Wolves...

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.234) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Careful Ian, if the Wolves fans get hold of you, you'll get battered.

By Cod Liver Oil (213.78.114.81) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 03:14 pm: Edit

If Fish signed for the Dingles, he'd become an old gold fish. Regards Roy Whale y.

By Geordiesaddler (213.205.138.250) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

For Cod's sake a whale is a mammal. And anyway dingles don't have fish fingers, apart from Kenny Millers-thumb.

By Salop Saddler (213.78.114.81) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Allowing for our recent cash windfall, I think we should put a bid in for Marcus Barbel. He could be sponsored by Middletons, unless you can think of anything batter.

By openfootballwalsall (62.60.9.191) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Just to let you know about a new WFC site:

http://walsall.openfootball.co.uk

Cheers

By Ian Gittins (217.40.215.101) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:10 pm: Edit

Middletons? I'm sure we can Findus a better sponsor than that.

By Salop Saddler (213.78.96.232) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Oh, pollacks. I never thought of them.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Fred Barbel in nets?

By Salop Saddler (213.78.123.126) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Tony Mackerel full back.

By Salop Saddler (213.78.123.126) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

I've haddock enough of this now, and am leaving for work, though Brett Angellfish just rang and asked to be remembered to you all. Ta ra a bit.

By John Dory (64.103.37.71) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:13 pm: Edit

I don't wish to carp, but this is a terrible thread, and those bottom feeders mentioned above have now made themselves known.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.175) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

I don't remember posting that message twice, so how come that happened ? Dave Roe, you've done the same on another thread. Any idea how that happened to you ?

Strange thing is if you go to post the same thing a second time, the system warns you doesn't it, but I know I definitely did not get a warning last night - well not on here anyway, I mean there was the wife etc etc..

Can salmon tell me how this can happen plaice.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.65) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

I'm sure gudgeon Thorgeson asked a similar question on getting the sack from Stoke.

By Sushi and the Banshees (203.97.2.243) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 01:01 am: Edit

Hoki-doke, Geoff. If you hit the "post" button twice, you occasionally get warned, and sometimes not, but the message will usually appear twice, whatever. You've got an itchy mouse finger, and that is the heart and sole of the matter, so slow down.

Now snapper out of it everyone - these fishy puns are upsetting the scales of rational debait. Stop it or you'll be herring more from me!

Cheers all
Exile

By Ian Gittins (217.40.232.67) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

I remember once NME doing an on-the-road piece with some band (Mega City Four, it might have been) in Japan who spent their time puking up the local grub and having trouble getting into their hired transport. NME called it Sushi & The Van Keys. Genius, in its own quiet way.

By Tuna Pilchards. (195.93.49.12) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 03:13 am: Edit

Bring back RAY GRAYLING.

By Whelks and Cockles don't pun very well (203.97.2.243) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 04:13 am: Edit

No - let's keep Cod-Ling Lee.... he's much more of a mussel-man.

By Tim Whelks (213.2.51.198) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 10:56 am: Edit

I notice that the ref for Saturday is Uriah Blennie

By Ian Gittins (81.132.2.20) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 11:05 am: Edit

Eel do a good job. Isn't he married to Gill?

By rico (217.196.0.70) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 05:59 pm: Edit

rudd y hell, folks are starting to get a bit tenchy about this fish link...it's only a bit of fin!

By m ward (81.135.100.122) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Our performance against Brighton was the worst since the appearance of BILLY BESCOT!!!!
Now there's a story---but we've forgotten him/her/it and we will soon forget that .

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 03:40 am: Edit

It was bad, but not THAT bad.

It was admittedly the worst performance since we played Albion last season, and Sir Ray paid for that with his job.

Let's not go totally over the top though, think back, it was NOT nearly as bad as some of those games we've seen in the post Billy Bescot era, in Divisions 3 and 2, I mean does anyone remember those early Hibbitt days ? I managed a team in the Bloxwich Combination Sunday Section at the time, and they played far better football than the sides that Hibbitt inherited.

Let's get this into perspective.

By saddla (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 08:58 am: Edit

Trust a Bloke called Whiting to try and deflect us from our fishy thread!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.165) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 03:22 pm: Edit

"Trust a bloke called Whiting" - now there's a line I like - and that's not FISHING line I'm talking about.

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Trust Geoff to tackle someone over the "Whiting" line - just bait your hook and reel him in...

Spare the rod!
Exile

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.168) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

No no, DON'T spare the rod !!

By Rod Stewart (217.40.230.119) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

Make your minds up!

By A N Other-Blonde (194.70.199.62) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Hark who's talking !
About time you kept up your end of the bargain !

By Rod Stewart (217.40.223.88) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Shut it, or I'll wipe that smile off your Faces.

By Maggie May (194.70.199.62) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:34 am: Edit

Big talk, little man !

By Rod Stewart (81.132.44.33) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 01:06 pm: Edit

Still, must admit, that smile on your face - You Wear It Well.

Return to 2002-03 Season