Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reading (a) - League - 18th January 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Reading (a) - League - 18th January 2003

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:54 am

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.13) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 06:07 pm: Edit

Well if someone said to me last Saturday we would play 2 matches away at Reading and not lose than I would have been very very happy.
We are through to the 4th round of the FA Cup and a valuable point gained with an under strength team.(We must have been if Matias played!!!)
Well done to all the lads.
Perhaps now with the home matches we have in February we can push for a top 10 finish.

By popperpancake (81.77.152.147) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

I really wanna disagree with u sheff!.....but i can't.

By 1933 (213.122.94.133) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Relieved we finished with 11 men on the pitch considering Phil Joslin was in charge.

Even better result as nobody below us has won this weekend, only Brighton picking up a point.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.163) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 06:53 pm: Edit

I regard this as an excellent point today, especially without Roper, Sonner and O'Connor, and even more so as Bradford, Grimsby, Sjoke (shame) all lost today and Sheff Utd walloped Wendy last night.

Talking of Sheff Utd, what a goal from Michael Brown last night, makes a change to see a player getting up to volley the ball, and what technique - just superb. So many times players wait for the ball to come down and give the defenders time to get a block in, but that last night was something special !

Below us only Brighton managed a point this weekend, so for a change things have gone well for us. Preston too are in free-fall, did I hear that this defeat at Ipswich was their sixth straight defeat today ? They're only one-point above us now. Derby pulled away a bit, but that's very forgiveable as they took all three points by thrashing the horrible Sjoke 3-1 at the Britannia Stadium. Well done to the Rams.

What happened to Carbon that caused him to have to come off, was it just a routine sort of injury or something more serious ?

Just listened to the CL interview on WM and he said we rode our luck at times, well it makes a pleasant change to keep the clean sheet right to the final whistle - he and the interviewer singled out Emblen for special praise having switched positions during the game to fill in for Carbon, just goes to show how useful it is to have a player in there who's comfortable playing in various positions.

I expected nothing today, I'm really glad to admit I was wrong, now let's hope we can build on this and make sure there are no mistakes against Brighton at Bescot next week. They've been improving lately, a home point against Pompey today was a good result for them, so it would be dangerous to be complacent and under-estimate them.

My son Chris travelled up to Chesterfield this morning to meet up with a mate who lives up there, the guy's a Chesterfield fan and they took in the Chesterfield-Mansfield game. Chris said Matt Gadsby was probably man of the match for Mansfield, and of course they won it 2-1 with a 90th minute goal after Chesterfield had a man sent-off for spitting at an opponent - charming !

C'mon you Sadd-e-e-l-l-l-e-e-r-r-s !!

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.33.13) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Just back from Reading. As CL said we rode our luck as Reading missed a couple of open goals but it was a defiant result none the less. I would have liked to see Zdrilich on earlier, as our front two looked somewhat ineffective today. Pedro looked better than I expected and put some intelligent balls about- not sure that he deserves a permanent place, however. I don,t think we had a decent chance on goal all afternoon, but the defence played well and overall we ground out a decent result

By Ian Gittins (217.40.199.21) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

I'd agree with Surrey. We were lucky in that Reading hit the post once and missed two absolute sitters, whereas we never really had a clear-cut chance. Nevertheless, we matched them for effort and possession was pretty even. Emblen looked good - it makes a nice change to have a central defender capable of running with the ball or playing a perceptive pass rather than hoofing it. I've no idea why Carbon went off, he wasn't limping and didn't seem to get clattered. Matias was excellent when he came on, played more perceptive passes than Corica or Simpson, and had our best half-chance. Wrack worked hard but gave the ball away a lot. Our main failing today was up front: Leitao bizarrely spent a lot of the game on the wing or helping Ziggy at left-back, and Junior spent the afternoon running down blind alleys, falling over and failing to challenge for headers. But as Sheff says, it's a good point and an excellent week's work down Reading way. Oh, and by the way, the handful of bleary, glassy-eyed, lager-soaked numbskulls berating Corica for his Wolves history: any chance they might lay off the beer for one rare night, club together and buy themselves a brain cell to share? Just a thought, chaps.

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.180) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

I'll take a point. The crucial thing for us looking down the table isn't so much the points gap as the number of teams below us as they can't all go on super runs. We are only a point behind Preston now and they are in free fall.

By hullsaddler (213.249.174.232) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

WM commentators on website reckoned carbon went off to enable a switch from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2,though whether the switch was purely tactical only CL will know.

By Shifnalsaddler (62.7.144.222) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Anyone at the game think that Corica played better than Matias? Because I thought our "most creative midfielder" was a bloody disgrace, whereas Pedro did rather well. I'd keep him in the team ahead of Son Of for a while anyway, if the choice was between the two of them.

Hull, I assumed at the time it was a tactical switch because we were being caused huge problems down our left flank, but Carbon had several yards of strapping applied when he went off, so maybe it wasn't.

By Ian Gittins (213.123.140.254) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

I don't think Corica was as bad as that, but I agree Pedro looked very assured on the ball and made a difference when he came on. I was never quite sure what shape our midfield was playing: Simpson was anonymous, and Wrack hardly touched the ball in the second half. Emblen could stamp an influence on midfield, I reckon, but then he also held things together well at the back. But we have O'Connor and Sonner to come back, plus Savary to try out: there's scope for change.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.33.13) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Yes Shifnal, Pedro did do rather well and was perhaps more impressive today than Corica. I am not sure, however, that I am convinced he should be in the side ahead of Corica because in the past he has tended to drift out of the game for long periods and lose many 50:50 balls.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

It seems to me that certain people are determind to make Corica the next Martin Butler, the next Michael Ricketts. Basically they need someone to blame, someone to pick on, someone to vent their anger at, someone in the team to blame for their performances as well as others.
It really makes me smile when we have people comparing Corica and Matias. Where have these people been?
Matias contract runs out at the end of this season. It should not be renewed. Why? Because he is not a first divison player thats why. He plays well once every 10 games in the first division.
Oh and he played well today, well what a shock. If I had been left out the team for months and months and finally got a chance to perform then christ I would make sure I played well for 70 minutes.
The thing is there is no comparison between Matias and Corica if you look over a period of time. Corica IS first division standard as he has proved, Matias IS NOT as he has also proved.

By Yawning Saddler (217.44.83.190) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:16 am: Edit

Errrr...so why did Zdrilic play like a complete ponce against Wolves? - didn't Jorge's suspension give him "a chance to perform"?
Are you in the legal profession? - you have a fantastic ability to state complete bollox with absolute certainty.

Corica was rubbish today - in his defence. he is a fish out of water when playing in a team with no ambition other than picking up a 0-0.

Very good result - but a terrible advert for football.

By belgian saddler (213.224.83.86) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

sitting on the fence there a bit sheff..........

By 4two_TSFC (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:49 am: Edit

Man of the Match Vote Taking Place

http://www.sportnetwork.net/boards/post/s44.php?sid=44

Cast your votes, let us know what ya reckon

I was a bit naughty today and because i went to the Madekski Midweek i took my self off to Villa Park.....i noe recognise how lucky we are to have a side that plays "good football"...We need to sort our pitch out. The Villa just can't string passes together in such a way that they give the forwards service.

oh well, back to the title of the discussion...

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

Yawning - Thanks for your constructive response. You really do sound like someone whose opinion does really matter to all Walsall fans and all football fans on the web.
Your skills of debate, your creative views, your constructive comments. Ever thought of becoming a Dingle......

By Shifnalsaddler (62.7.134.222) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:57 am: Edit

Sheff, I'm not determined to make Corica the next Martin Butler, I'd prefer it if he was the next Alan Buckley if I could have any say in the matter.
But today he was rubbish, at Ipswich he was rubbish, at Norwich he was rubbish, he hasn't played well for yonks, last tuesday being an exception.

If the choice is between Pedro and Corica, I'd choose Pedro, although if MOC and Sonner are available next week, and if Javary comes into the picture, then we will have plenty of other options.

Pedro is capable of brilliance, can work hard when he is in the mood and be a real asset to the team. But he is inconsistent, and too often he disappears during games, and too often he is very ineffective away from home, and his achievements in no way do justice to his talents. Can you, by any chance, think of another player to whom all of this applies?

Still, on the bright side it's 2003, and in 1993 we would have been arguing about whether to play John Keister or Deen Peer in the midfield (I'll cast my vote for Deen Peer btw).

By 4two_TSFC (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:01 am: Edit

Deen Peer was crap, we have had a series of Crap midfielders over the last 10 years, Peer, Bradley, Bennet, Andre, are the ones that spring to mind in my opinion
(not all will agree).
But Corica...i thought on Tuesday him coming on made a differance, especially when he moves inside.

By Bob (80.225.63.162) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:05 am: Edit

Neither keeper had a lot to do but Jim did what he had to very well. Bazeley probably our best performer; Hay was o.k. Emblen was sound in central defence, if a little slow and heavy-legged (not too surprising, really); Carbon was injured apparently (judging by the bench activity when he came off); Aranalde often exposed; Corica flitted in and out of the game; Wrack worked hard but gave the bnll away far too often; Simpson was so anonymous that you could be excused for not realising he was playing (that contract was the worst thing that could have happened to him); Leitao spent most of his time playing wing-back - why?; Junior had one of his typical recent Junior games - nuff said! Zdrilic worked hard as did Matias (amazingly in an away game!) but I must agree with SheffieldSaddler's comments - Matias is on his bike at the end of the season. Martinez was on the bench today. Doesn't his 6 month contract expire about now?

A hard-earned point today, all the more valuable in the light of other results. Bring on the Dons for some cup relief!

By Benjamin Spock (194.117.133.180) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 08:50 am: Edit

Well said yawning. Some people seem to be trying to turn Colin Lee into the next Ray Graydon while making Ray Graydon into the next John Barnwell.

The fact is that many players at div 1 level are as good as players higher up in the structure but on a much less frequent basis. Corica has bad days. Too many for the adulation poured on him by some on this board. At the moment the Rotherham game seems to be one of only a couple of good games that Zdrilic has had amongst a lot of dross.

Whereas Pedro made a good claim for a place today. Lets say "Well done him" not run him down because he isn't Austrailian.

PS I'd put money on Corica not performing over the next couple of months as he adjusts to the new baby.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.33.13) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 09:45 am: Edit

I was at the game today my main concern is the lack of options for the player with the ball.No movement no running into space,indeed no idea as an attacking unit.George was our best attacker and defender today he cant be both. I hope Lee is not becoming too cautious/negative.

By karol poborsky (211.28.96.5) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:38 am: Edit

What a load of hogwash guys!! You are analysing every detail way TOO far!! Lets not forget these guys are human...ie good days /bad days!! (If they were better players they would be earning more money elsewhere)
Look at Steve Corica's performances over the past seasons and you tell me that hes had more bad games than good games.NEVER!!
It comes down to the managers style of play, the players around you, the weather/pitch/conditions..etc.
How can Lee expect Zdrilic to be a sub player when he is better off playing him from the start for more than one game at a time! Play him for the first 60 then throw on a sub like Junior to unsettle them.
Its frustrating because we really should be a mid-table team!! We are not big spenders and weve got no short term juniors coming through..So maybe we should be content being in the bottom third

By Yawning Saddler (217.44.83.243) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:22 am: Edit

Sheffield Saddler,

One question - did you actually go to Reading yesterday?

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.68) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Whacka looks completely unphased by what happened last week - a model pro. Pedro was our most effective attacking option and could have won it near the end. Horrible plastic atmosphere from the Reading fans who moaned their heads off after on the local phone in. Would have loved to have heard the show after Cardiff. Just wish we could be a bit more positive in the final third, we seem to look for a pass too many for my liking. Brighton will be a tough game but at least Leicester are wobbling. Could we be due to play one of the top sids when they're not at the top of their form? Maybe our luck is changing.

By Oplan (195.92.168.172) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Yawning Saddler, who the hell do u think u are disagreeing with Sheffield Saddler? U should be banned from this site. Ive noted your ip address and will be e-mailing Steve Roy.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Yawning - Good to see you can post a message with a constructive question. No I did not go to Reading yesterday, unless of course I travelled by the speed of light and managed to get to Sheffield, turn on my computer and post a message in approximately 10 minutes. :o)
Oplan - Dont bother I have already done it :o)
Corica is god, thats what I think :o)

By Still Yawning Saddler (217.44.83.243) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Just needed confirmation that your eminent comments were "off-the-spot" and that you hadn't taken your laptop down to the MadStad....

My comments were based on what I actually saw yesterday.

Many apologies if that did not coincide with your view of what you think I should have seen....

Ever Yours

Yawning

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Its not really your comments about the match is it though? Its your comments about me and what I wrote that really gets me with people like you. Completely unconstructive just because I dont agree with other comments on this board.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.163) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Absolutely agree with Sheff there, no need for the personal stuff

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.67) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

See Pardew was at it again slagging us off at the post match press conference. "They got exactly what they deserved a boring stagnant match" Then went on to say "Walsall showed absolutely no ambition to win the game. THat's up to them all I know is I wouldn't do it".Facts Reading this season have scored 28 goals in 27 games, 16 at home. We have scored 40 goals, 18 away from home. How many times this season have we heard oppo managers generously praising us after they have beaten us 4-3 or 3-2. The man is a complete twerp, the onus was on his highly paid "stars" to break us down and they could not do it. Pure sour grapes after the play off defeat/FA cup exit/failure to ever beat us at their ground. I'd take 0-0 away from home against a team 11 places higher any day, and so would Pardew.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Well, given the starting eleven, 0-0 was a good result. It was, however, a very, very negative performance.
We appeared to be playing 3-6-1, with Jorge as an extra left wing-back [switching to supplementary right wing-back to make way for Pedro when he came on for Carbon].
I thought Emblen looked very assured, which is probably just as well given the Wolves related stick that Corica gets [it actually took about 3 mins and one misplaced pass from Emblen for the 1st "F**K off Dingle" shout of the day...this is why I will remain standing at Bescot as long as possible, which at least gives me the option of moving away]. Pedro also played well when he came on, though neither he or Corica [or anybody in the team?] has any pace. Pedro and Zdrillic won most of the long balls into the corners, which was handy, given the number of times we did it.
Jimmy made some good saves, we generally defended well, if a little deep at the end. Simpson, Wrack and Corica battled well in the middle…actually, I can’t really fault anybody’s effort, other than perhaps wishing our Brazilian centre forward would take his divers boots off [in both interpretations of the words ‘divers boots’].

By Phil_G (195.92.168.166) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

There seems to be a Corica/Matias debate going here.
The thing is, I think the criticisms levelled at either of the players can be equally levelled against the other, if you see what I mean.
Overall, I think that Corica is the better player, but that doesn't mean I don't see room for Matias.
Wingers, wide players, creative players, call them what you want, by their nature will drift in and out of games. Sometimes they will seem like world beaters, other times you wonder why they are on the pitch.
The thing is, since we left Matias out of the side, we don't seem to have anyone who can fill in the left side of midfield, which leaves us exposed when the opposition attack down their right, and us predictable when going forward.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

When the opposition attack down the right, don't expect Pedro to stop them. He is famed for his "mazy runs" don't forget.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

I agree with Tim. I cant understand all this Dingle stuff abuse given to some of our players. So what if Bazeley, Corica and Emblen used to play for the Dingles? So what if our current manager used to manage the Dingles?
The main thing is that now they play/manage for Walsall FC. So therefore should be given the support the same as the rest of the players on the pitch.
At then end of the day, all 3 are decent first division players and all have proved it.
Give them a break for gods sake.

By popperpancake (81.77.95.230) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

As far as the matias/corica debate goes. I too am one who sees a place for both in the squad. Wasn't at reading yesterday so cant say if matias played well or corica was crap. But i do think corica has been poor of late. I think CL should be looking at bringing in a wide left player personally altho he seems intent on bringing in a wide right player.

By Paul G (194.117.133.180) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

The point made about Corica's baby higher up is very valid. I expect he is getting little sleep at the moment and it will be that way for a couple of months at least. Remember this happened to Tom Bennett at the start of last season - his form did eventually improve from awful to mediocre as his baby settled.

I am looking at April and May with nice pitches and a few hours more sleep at night to see the best from Corica again. Even now I feel he is worth his place.

Pedro's shot was actually more than a half chance. He was slightly wide of goal but it should have been on target. What a fabulous reverse pass from Junior to set it up. The only moment of the game that actually got me out of my seat in excitement.

Also heard the Reading phone in on the way home. The similarities between Reading and our mouldy gold neighbours are uncanny. Rich benefactor pays for nice stadium, overhyped players underperform, glory hunting supporters suddenly turn up from nowhere claiming to have been there all their lives and unrealistically believe thay have a place in the premiership reserved for them, but then they can not break down lower league sides at home and the manager moans ungracious tripe to the press. Dingles and Reading should get together and form an allaince to give each other therapy.

By popperpancake (81.77.95.230) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Martinez is on his way to swansea for the rest of the season according to teamtalk.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Martinez! Christ we will really miss him! Only time I see him is on Sky Sports on a Sunday night!

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.180) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

We were reporting it on TheSaddlersFC.tk earlier today. A Sunderland fan has turned up on there who reckons we are bidding for Kevin Kyle. If we are, I hope he's better than the last centre forward we signed from them, as that would be Bica! A younger version of Brett Angell would be nice.

By Silverdale_Saddler (134.220.2.2) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:48 am: Edit

any thought of another version of Brett Angell sends a shiver down my spine.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.198.72) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Lets hope its just one of my mates taking the p!ss.

By popperpancake (195.224.209.138) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Ricketts has had a transfer request accepted by the way.

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.180) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Fairly typical that he's done it with 11 days of the window left, instead of two weeks ago, isn't it?

By belgian saddler (213.224.83.86) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 08:30 pm: Edit

anyone want to swear about reading managers?

By Ray (213.1.69.210) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 08:40 pm: Edit

no

By Sid (217.35.53.237) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Can anyone else smell gas?

By Johnny Fartpants (203.97.2.243) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

That's just wind

By PJD (213.122.52.36) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

Alan Pardew. What a tosspot! I can't stand managers who use feeble excuses like "the opposition only came for the draw." when they fail to win

Firstly he's stating the bleeding obvious. I think just about everyone contributing to this message board could have told him this back in August. What he really is saying is, "When it comes to tactics, I haven't got a clue"

It is one thing not to have a clue about what tactics to use before a game starts, but not having a clue what should have been done after the game has finished, just shows a monumental lack of intelligence. But then if the high point of your playing career was playing for Palace in the eighties, when the tactics were "lump it up front to Wrightie as soon as you get the ball, wherever you are on the pitch" I don't suppose he will have learnt a fat lot.

Also bear in mind the money that Reading have lashed out on players and the fact that we've spent next to nothing. And they've only scored one goal against us in two games at the Madjeski and not beaten us in Reading since 1985. If I was the owner I be going loopy over excuses like that. "You've spent £3,287,500 and you couldn't win because they wouldn't let you"

What you want is a manager who does things that before the match you don't agree with, but during the game it becomes clear that his plan has worked. He knows more about the game than you do. That's why he is a professional footie coach and you're not. Top of my list for this is Terry Venables. After the game he can describe in the minutest detail how he set about planning and executing his tactics.

Then there is the other camp, which Pardew belongs to. The greatest exponent of this type of management is Graham Taylor in his England days. Remember when we played Norway and he played Gary Pallister left back to mark that greatest of all international strikers Jostein Flo. Everyone thought what the f**k is he doing? It'll be a disaster! and it was. Could you imagaine Alex Ferguson changing his formation and putting Pallister at left back when Man U played Sheff U to take account of Flo when he was there??!!

Add to Pardew and Taylor, Trevor Francis. When they lose out come the riduculous excuses. Anyone else come to mind?

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 03:55 am: Edit

Talking about Managers, I was a bit disapointed at Colin Lee saying we hadn't practised penalties for the Reading replay.
Thats the sort of stuff that has cost England heaps in the past when losers like Batty end up taking their first professional penalty in vital games - and missing.
The Brazil coach said after the win against England that 'people think I'm crazy practicing 10 against 11 - but it paid off'.
Come on Colin - don't leave anything to chance. You were lucky this time.

By flownswift (64.103.126.135) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:04 am: Edit

perhpas he just wanted to wind pardew up, as he has been quoted before the game saying he wanted to win the FA cup and that they had practiced penalties etc.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:19 am: Edit

Whatever tactics Lee employs for taking penalties than we should stick to them. To be honest I have never known Walsall firstly awarded so many in a season and secondly scoring so many in a season! Aranalde and Sonner, have they ever missed one for us? Its good to know when we get a penalty I am very confident we will score. (Just hope we dont get one on Saturday as we will of course now miss it!)
Also look at our record in shoot outs. Against Blackburn we scored 4 in 5 which in most shoot outs would take you through. Against Reading we scored 4 in 4.
So basically I think Walsall FC are kings of the first division and perhaps the nationwide and perhaps the premiership in scoring penalties.

By Gurrole Gilbert (194.202.218.1) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

In one of the earlier programmes (Grimsby or Wimbledon) we were the leading penalty scorers in the Nationwide/Premier - although we haven't been awarded any recently so that might have changed.

Other than that one at Blackburn, we have scored from all of them - 16 penalties taken, 15 scored! Not a bad ratio.

Strange when you think that last season we were only awarded TWO penalties, scoring one and missing one.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Thanks for the info! Some doing that 15 penalties from 16.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

It's no big deal, only the same as Albion managed last season.

Oh no, sorry, on reflection that was scored 1 missed 15 out of 16 wasn't it ?

Still, we all know how Megson hates teams scoring from set-pieces !!

ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

LoL

By Alan Buckley's Dad (213.165.1.130) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Oi Gittins!
I'm a beery glass-eyed numbskull and I take great exception to you slagging me off. There is also a well-known phrase about pots, kettles and the colour black that you might like to re-arrange!

Return to 2002-03 Season