Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Grimsby (h) - League - 7th December 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Grimsby (h) - League - 7th December 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:32 pm

By belgiansaddler (213.224.83.70) on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 08:17 pm: Edit

that`ll do

By Dave Gittins (195.92.194.13) on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 10:14 pm: Edit

It was far from pretty today, Grimsby were no great shakes but made life difficult for us.

It was an inspired substitution by Colin Lee in bringing Aranalde and Ainsworth on when he did, we immediately looked a different team reverting to a 4-4-2.

I was very impressed by Ainsworth, he was fast and skilful, the defence were terrified of him. I had been informed by a friend (a Vale fan) that he was good, and having seen him I must agree.

Junior had a good game today, scoring the first, then teeing up the other two for Jorge and Wrack.

Next week could be tricky, Wimbledon are the current form team but we are doing okay at home ourselves.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.166) on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Have to agree Dave, scrappy stuff on a poor pitch, though I don't think we could fault the effort both teams put in today.

Ainsworth is indeed very quick, shame he's not allowed to play for us next week. I was well impressed with his speed and commitment, he came on and chased everything - looks a real asset and it would be nice, I think, if we could make the move more permanent. Early days though, one swallow don't make a summer so we'll have to wait and see how he performs over a few games, but first impressions are excellent.

A few months back I would not have expected to be saying this, but it was nice to see Zigor back and attacking down the left for us.

Great first time strike by Wracky, he took that goal very well in a tight situation, giving the keeper no chance. A good ball back to him too, was that from Junior, I can't remember for sure ?

Anyway, all round it's very satisfactory to get the three points from a below-par performance, after Nil points from two good away performances. Strange game this football ! Nice gap opening up too, 10 points above the bottom three now.

Finally guys, all together now, "What a shame for Sjoke today (NOT)" !!

By WarsawSaddler (213.76.105.109) on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 12:52 am: Edit

Is there a Statto out there who has recorded how we have done over the last few seasons playing 4-4-2 compared with anything else? It seems to always be the same as it was today, going by the commentary, that everything slips back into place when we go back to 4-4-2. Or is it just my selective memory?

By cat3 (218.102.96.128) on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Great Victory, on we go sads!

By Paul G (194.117.133.182) on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 08:39 pm: Edit

In the two games since the opening of the Purple Stand we've heard a standing ovation for Bonser and a roar of approval for Aranalde - how times change.

Looking at other pitches on TV this week ours seems to be a real shocker. Even Harrogate Railway produced a better surface. It's one thing to accept Villa's money but if we want to be as proffesional all round as Colin Lee hopes we should be protecting the pitch. Our reserves should be playing elsewhere as should Villa. It totally negates the presence of Corica in the team. We may as well send him on loan for the next few months.

Doffer - were you there?

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.52) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:05 am: Edit

Great result, considering the other results, poor performance on a pudding of a pitch, until CL changed it, what a pleasure it was to see a wide player prepared to take on and beat a full back, blaze down the wing and ping three or four quality balls into the box, this guy looks quality, then there was that quality left back re-entering the fray, you know, the one you all love to hate, but I think we have really missed him these last few games, begs the question why didn't we start the game with 4-4-2.
Report in the Express and Star Saturday evening CL states Ainsworths stay could be longer if he impresses, Cl has already discussed the possibility with the Dons, CL also said he is willing to listen to offers for loans or more permanent deals for certain of our players, Herivelto, Rodrigues, Driller, Birch etc spring to mind and oh yes Carbon as well, seems to have fell out of favour, he was also seen to leave the ground in a hurry on Saturday driving off at speed looking less than happy 'before the kick-off'. CL also stated that he hopes to bring in a couple more players as he wants to change things around.

By Leicester Saddler (143.210.8.66) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Yeah Doffer was there all right. He was standing just to my right on the terrace shouting such uplifting comments as: "Cam on you farking cants!" I'm all up for being passionate about your team but I really couldn't see how that was helping the lads. There were enough people looking around thinking he was being a total doughnut. I had been prepared to give the bloke the benefit of the doubt but after seeing his performance on Saturday, I'm not so sure. Calm down Doffer, you'll burst a farkin blood vessel, know what I mean?

As for the performance, ok it wasn't pretty but it was workmanlike and after the substitution, there was only one team in the game. The pitch was a disgrace. Does anyone know how much Villa pay us so that their reserves can use Bescot? I doubt that it would make too much of a difference in the coffers if we told em to bugger off. If the pitch is in that state already at this stage of the season, what's it gonna be like in February or March? The groundman has got his work cut out. Ok rant over, 3 points in the bag. Everyone's happy....bring on the Franchise!

By walsall youthcoalpool lad (62.30.112.3) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:51 pm: Edit

great win on saturday.up the saddlers.oh yeah and another thing there's only one gareth ainsworth.
ps:he looks like a good player we should sign him permanent.

By SaddlerSteve (195.93.49.13) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 11:11 pm: Edit

You think he should be signed permanently after only one game??

How long was he on for?

By walsall youth coalpool lad (62.30.112.3) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 11:41 pm: Edit

put it one way he's the only midfield player apart from corica who runs at the defence plus he has pace and power

By SaddlerSteve (195.93.49.13) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:33 am: Edit

I just think its a bit rash to start saying stuff like that after hes played a bit of a game?

Hes on loan for a while so why not see how he works out first?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.168) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 01:59 am: Edit

Have to agree with walsall youth coalpool lad on this occasion.

I thought Ainsworth looked class from the moment he got his first touch. Fastest player to don a Saddlers shirt for donkey's years, with skill, determination and crossing ability to match.

He's the first player that's made me think "sign him up" straight away, since Alan Buckley made his debut against Shrewsbury all those years ago.

This guy will be a real asset if we can get him, and yes I think we could judge that after only 30 minutes on the pitch. He's altogether different class I'd say, too good to miss the opportunity.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.13) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 05:16 am: Edit

I think the problem with the pitch stems from the Purple stand, the hight and the fact that the corners are closed-in no circulating air to dry the surface.So knock it down or play on a puddin;sods law.The answer is a bit more complicated than just stopping Villa reserve games.Alas the new stand may make it difficult to play our attacking style during the winter and global warming(WET winters)will exacerbate the situation.

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:57 am: Edit

According to the Express and Star CL is looking to take over Ainsworths contract, apparrently The Dons boss has agreed and If we like the player and he like us a deal looks likely.
Agree with everyone else's comments about Ainsworth, bearing in mind the lads not properly fit yet, just hasn't played many games in the last couple of seasons, so much more to come me thinks, bought back memories of Mark Rees with his speed and ability to beat the full back only difference is this guy looks like he can ping in a useful cross Rees 'bless him' couldn't.

By cannock (194.117.133.182) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 11:09 am: Edit

Mr Lawton. One can only assume then that Leicester, Sunderland and Man utd will be destroying their stands as their pitches will no doubt deteriorate due to the fact that their grounds are also enclosed!!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 01:45 pm: Edit

That may turn out to be a very rash and ill-advised statement Cannock. Knowing that the Sporting Star lifts posts off this site I can just see the headlines this Saturday :

Stop Press :

In an amazing development it has been rumoured that Old Trafford, The Stadium of Light and The Walkers Stadium are to be bulldozed on environmental grounds !

LoL

By Rico (217.196.0.70) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Zzzzzzzzzzz, Zzzzzzzzzzz

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.234) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Surely the main problem lies with the fact that we are letting Villa reserves play at Bescot ?

Unfortunately the club have taken the quick shilling again rather than give OUR team the best possible pitch to play our passing game on.

It comes to something when our own reserves have to relocate to Hednesford in order to allow the pitch to recover whilst the Vile lot continue to churn it up.

By walsall youthcoalpool lad (62.30.112.3) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 07:53 pm: Edit

we should sign ainsworth up permanent he has the determination to succeed at walsall and he'll be a big hit with the walsall fans in my opinion.
does anyone else agree?

By Goodun (195.93.33.13) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Doubt i agree with anything you say WalsallYouth

By Mksadla (217.41.67.130) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 12:03 am: Edit

He will not be playing against MK Don's (sorry abit forward there chap's) Wimbledon, as this was agreed as part of his loan with us.
Is that so, please enliten me?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:22 am: Edit

Mksadla, that's what's been said in all the reports - it's understandable really given that we're playing 'em so soon after he signed on loan. Shame he can't play though, as Dave Gittins quite rightly said earlier on here Wimbledon are the form team at the moment, so it will be a tricky game and CL could do with all options available.

Walsall Youth, yes I agree with you re: Ainsworth, I've seen enough already to convince me what an asset he'd be, and that doesn't happen so quickly with many players - love at first sight maybe !

By Charlie Dimock (212.229.191.195) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Cannock, do the words "under soil heating" mean anything to you. Peterborough have the same problem, so do Carlisle, one stand bigger than the others, its not the only problem but it certainly will not help. Perhaps a couple of weeping willows at each corner of the pitch might help.

By Joe90 (194.60.38.11) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Charlie - what a right one you are. Methinks that Cannock was being just ever so slightly sarcastic in his comments about Man U destroying their grounds.

By rugeleysaddler (195.92.168.171) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 07:16 pm: Edit

I tend to ignore any posts from Coalpool Lad football related or not becasue he's a racist moron.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.33.13) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Wondeful idea Charlie trees, they could be planted in such a way that they would mature hiding the stantions supporting the roof as they suck the moisture out of the ground.Additonally the club could raise extra revenue renting out the tops of the slim conifers to B T to hide their mobile phone masts.

Whilst we,re on the subject of increasing revenue for the club why not resurrect the idea of music concerts remember the Wonderstuff from the 1980s.My suggestion would be TRAPEZE the 1970s band from cannock and Geoff Whiting as the "Grand master" of ceremony.What would your suggestions be? And we could hang the portable toilets from Charlie,s trees.

By reading saddler (62.253.64.9) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:33 pm: Edit

how big is bescot. And what about reading verus walsall in the fa cup. thats a match for me (to me its a derby) i hope it goes to a replay after a 3-3 draw and then we win the replay 3-1. Cos that way i get to see walsall reading twice in 1 month. PLEASE PLEASE

By Avid Saddler (217.39.151.175) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:28 pm: Edit

I whud like the kylie, she makes me sex wee. And the cat deeley.

Not the Robbie, he is ••••

By jonny baracuda (195.93.49.13) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Kylie would do the job nicely she would fill the Purple stand and perhaps raise enouhg money to buy a giant squeegy machine like the one that moped-up all the surface water at Charlton last year.Better than trees.who are TRAPEZE?

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:54 am: Edit

I'm sure Trapeze were a band from the swinging Sixties, who fell to earth when they failed to catch on.

By Kev Sad (62.7.86.138) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 03:50 pm: Edit

Hello everyone, as they say on local radio "I'm a first time caller". I like the messages and the unusual spellings.
I'm not sure about the fairness of these loan signings, we are so pleased to have Ainsworth how do you think the Wolves feel about Cole! How often have relegation and promotion battles been affected by loan signings?
It was so cold last Saturday you could understand why they called it the "Purple Stand".

By walsall youthcoalpool lad (62.30.112.1) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 07:04 pm: Edit

whay do u think the score will be against wimbeldon ?i hope we batter them 5-0

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.163) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 07:52 pm: Edit

Yes a 5-0 would be nice, any Saddlers fan would hope for that sort of result. A few weeks back when we played at Selhurst we probably would have seen this return match at Bescot as a home banker, but things have moved on with the Wombles finding their form, and two recent 5-3 away wins show we've got a hard game coming up. We'll need to be at our very best to take the 3 points.

We seem a little more solid at home, 3 wins on the trot, so if we perform on the day I think we could get through this by the odd goal, I'll go for 3-2. No room for daft errors at the back though, otherwise we'll be hard pressed to take even a single point.

By Sharky61 (213.1.68.156) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Goeff, so glad you replied to walsallyouth coalpool lad. Totally ignoring the lad will only alienate him more. His views may not be to everyone's liking but Hey! we do live in a democracy (don't we?). Who knows, a little education may just change his way of thinking. Take it from someone who knows. In ten years or so he may be a little embarrased as to his present way of thinking and passing on this message to others. Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

By Shifnalsaddler (213.120.56.33) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:08 am: Edit

I saw Trapeze play the night Elvis Presley died. They headlined at the Civic, also playing were Little Acre, and The Count Bishops.

By GlennHughesAxe Saddler (62.188.13.16) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:25 am: Edit

I saw Trapeze at Walsall Town Hall in the early 70s.

Let's just say that they were 100% better than Budgie.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.168) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 02:00 am: Edit

Sharky 61,

We all have to learn, that's life, and despite some earlier comments that may have put some of us off, WalsallYouth has made some good points on this thread. Maybe he's learning a bit about us, and we're learning about him too. As long as there's sensible debate and we're respectful to one another on here I see no problem, each to his own opinion, that's what we're all entitled to and hopefully that's how it will always be.

WalsallYouth asked for some predictions for Saturday's result, so let's hear 'em. I've already posted mine, Saddlers 3-2, so it's for certain that won't be the result!

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 03:45 am: Edit

2-1 Saddlers - always the conservative wimp

By Breadfan (203.97.2.242) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 04:21 am: Edit

Budgie were great in their prime. Last time I saw them at the Marquee though, they were dreadful.

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:04 am: Edit

On both sides current form we all are set for another seven goal thriller, so I'm going for a 1-0 to the saddlers.

By sjlawton13-aka-jonny baracuda (195.93.33.13) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:30 am: Edit

Walsall youth 5-0 I think is a little optimistic this may reflect your age the young tend to see the best in any situation.Me I'm a old fart therefore 2-2 draw.is my prediction but I would love a 5-0.

TRAPEZE -The post from Glenn Hughes was interesting because Glenn Hughes was the singer for the band and I know he was a bang-on Wolves fan.During the early 1970s I managed to see Trapeze and Free on the same weekend it was fab.Glenn Hughes and Robert Plant are Wolves supporters are there any famous types at Walsall.Noddy Holder perhaps?

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 11:00 am: Edit

Im taking my father [a Wolves fan....I apologise and hope you are not all ashamed of me and my narrow escape from Dingledom]. I have convinced him we are worth spending some of his pension money on.
As I have talked us up to him so much, I'm afraid a 3-2 defeat is almost inevitable!

By behind enemy lines (134.220.2.2) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 02:21 pm: Edit

why not rent a plastic pitch in winter, also will someone keep doffer on a lead please.

By Sharky61 (62.7.83.120) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 09:44 am: Edit

Being as we are both capable of banging in the goals at the momment I am going for a 4-3, just don't know which way though.

Return to 2002-03 Season