Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Portsmouth (a) - League - 30th November 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Portsmouth (a) - League - 30th November 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:31 pm

By Stu (62.252.64.8) on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Gutted! Just got back in after flying up the A3 and I'm still wondering how we didn't get a point. The lads were superb this afternoon (although their last two goals were down to woeful defending). We matched a quality team, Merson didn't have time on the ball, their front two were kept quiet and we knocked the ball about well. Junior was desperately unlucky with his free kick after 4 mins.

Now to my rant. When I qualified as a Ref, I was told if the last defending man brings down an opposition player its a free kick and sending off for a professional foul.
So, when Corica is through on Hislop inside the box, and Ritchie brings him down from behind. Its a penalty and a red card! Oh no, there top of the league, so its a penalty only. Awful decision and could be said to have cost us the match.
Now 2nd rant. We're in stoppage time in the first half, Hay gets a knock and is told to leave the field. He isn't around to clear the resulting free kick, and they get a corner. He is back for the corner, but they score when its knocked out anyway!
But, Foxe goes down in stoppage time when we have a corner! He must go off and come back on? No, different rule again. He can stay on and then clears the corner out with a header.
Whats the difference between Hay and Foxe? Okay, Hay was on the pitch when they scored anyway, but if he'd been on for the free kick he might have put it up the field and away from danger!
Third rant, we have the ball about 30 yards from goal on the flank. Their player on the edge of the box goes down, ref plays on. Bazeley gets in a good position on the touchline, ref blows up for some reason. Surely his spotted a free kick to them or penalty to us??? An 18man melee ensues, Hislop has one of our players in a headlock. Surely a few will get their marching orders now? No! What instead, he gives the ball to Hislop via a drop ball! But, didnt we have the ball in a great attacking position? He hasn't given a foul, so why the drop ball to Hislop?

All that equals a fudge awful display from the Referee.
Yes, he gave us two penalties, but he could hardly turn them down. Superb thinking from Sonner on the 2nd penalty, they bought his run hook line and sinker. All he had to go was go down.

I even rang up Radio Solent after the match, their ex Pompey player was saying Paul Ritchie should have walked for the 1st penalty!

Defensive rants! Who was marking the player on the 2nd goal, free header from 8 yards, come on! Whoever fell over on the 3rd goal when in our corner flag, why didnt they just belt it?

Oh well. Still, great performance really. Gave the lads the standing ovation they deserved.

Bring on Grimsby.

By Pico (195.93.49.13) on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Been to the game myself today and must agree with Stu's perfect summing up on the numerous events that made up for one of the most enjoyable away games for some time.

Yes the ref was awful. Ritchie should have clearly gone for the first spot kick, and should have taken more action in the forthcoming free for all brawl that took place. There could have been as many as 8 differant culprits in that melee, the ref didn't see anything therefore no action taken.

Some of our passing was superb today. I was really impressed with Sonner and Corica. They controlled the Midfield throughout, with O'Connor as solid as ever. Thought we should have got at least a point from the game, especially when Gary Birch missed a very good chance towards the end.

I don't think Pompey are the best team in the league. I may be wrong, but they didn't seem to threaten as much as I thought they would before the game.

We can take a lot of encouragement from this game, even though we lost by the odd goal away from home again. If we sort out our problem of giving away sloppy goals, i'm sure we can start climbing the table.

P.S What was the matter with Doffer's face today. He looked a little pale!!!!!!

By Jorge14 (195.93.33.13) on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Agree with Stu and Pico. We could have won the game because although Pompey were the best side we've played this season they weren't particulary better than us. Whether or not that makes us a really good side all of a sudden or shows that the Division is weak i don't know but they didn't tear us apart.

I thought we did OK all in all, we battled well and everyone again gave 110%. But how many times this season have we said that after coming away from a match pointless? Sadly determination isn't enough to get the 3 points, and it is something that we are just lacking at the moment, but it is hard to pin-point what that "thing" is.

I thought Sonner was excellent today. Two cracking penalties and really battled in the middle of the park. Having his best spell of form for the club. He has reminded me of some good midfielders recently such as Roy Keane, Steven Gerrard, Patrick Viera and Gary PARKER. Not ability wise, but in the way he never gives up and puts everything into his play.

The sooner we get some credit from the national media the better. Radio 5 apparently said that Portsmouth "under estimated us". We will recieve no plaudits for our performance today which is annoying because if we would have won or drawn in a lesser performance we would have been centre of attention.

Ah well, we should get 6 points from the next 2 games.

Pico, I noticed Doffer today, but I think he must have had plastic surgery because he looked entirely different to what he normally does, but after his "suspension" I think most people had forgotten what he looked like anyway.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:29 am: Edit

Agree with Stu, the ref was a disgrace! I would also like to metion the 20 man brawl that I witnessed on the pitch today. And after a discussion at length with both linesman, the ref did, ermmmmmmm NOTHING! Great isnt it Ritchie(the most dirtest player I have seen this season by a mile) grabs Corica by the throat and the ref did, ermmmmmm NOTHING!
Oh and thanks for another set of great stewards, you can always relay on them cant you? To do ermmmmmmm NOTHING!
Oh and the team, proud of every one of them, they ran there hearts out and ended up with ermmmmmmm NOHING!
Anyway, we all know deep down that we have matched every team this season, except Leicester. We deserve to be in the top 10 in my opinion, I just cant believe it when I look at that table and see where we are. What a bl**dy injustice.

By 4two (195.93.33.13) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 01:26 am: Edit

You may not agree with me. BUT, i say the ref handled that brawl very well.

He could have....

A) Gone in their, dished out a load of cards, including reds to both sides (Corica was very naughty in my opinion) which would have made matters worse, and spoilt the game....

B) Be honest, he did not see a thing, and if he started dishing cards out, he wouldnt be 100% sure he was givin em to the right players...Fair Play to Ref.... who was watching the game.

By reading saddler (62.253.64.9) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:13 am: Edit

it`ll be intesting to see what the referee writes in his log book about a 16 man fight in the middle of the penalty box when he wasn`t looking oh wait no he was just in time to give shaka hislop a lovely drop kick. And you would think that portsmouth would have the pride to put a stand roof on the away end and protect us visiting supporters from topless men waving there shirts and beer bottles flying threw the air. Altogether i Enjoyed the Match !!!!!!!! And since when did the standard of division 1 drop so much that the best team in the league just looked shocking. The problem is i agree with portsmouth radio where would they be without merson..... not in the bloody top six anyway. If they go up and put a performance like that against manchester united, better still west ham (if they survive),then heavy defeats will most definitly wipe out there most memorable season for a long time. But it wasn`t all bad i finally got to see doffer, smoking a cigar threw a rubber mask,

By dave_hawkes (213.1.130.184) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 11:45 am: Edit

Have to say Jorge that from listening to snippets of the game on 5 Live and then on Final Score they were quite complimentary to us. In summing up what I heard on the radio, we were unlucky to lose, gave Pompey a fright, battled well, Pompey couldn't get out of first gear, etc etc, which was quite pleasing I thought.

I expected us to go there and get a beating. Sounds like the only beatings Pompey are good at dishing out is with their fists. I read a Geoff post the other day saying he'd seen Pompey and they were a dirty side. Seems Lee's attacking approach almost paid off. Hope the confidence from that will see us get 6 points in the next two games.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:16 pm: Edit

4two - The ref had already ruined the game, a lot prior to this I can tell you. With his decisions on so many things a disgrace as mentioned in previous posts.
He may have been watching the game(looking at some of his previous decisions I would question this as well!), but did he not bother watching the brawl? Did he just close his eyes and hope for the best?

By Shifnalsaddler (213.120.56.41) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:18 pm: Edit

The second penalty looked like a dive to me, we couldn't believe it had been given, though all gifts gratefully received of course.
Foxe didn't have to go off because it was a head injury.
We were lucky the ref didn't see what happened before the fight, or Wrack (according to R5) would have gone.
We played quite well, but we don't keep enough possession and allow ourselves to be put under pressure.
The stewards were rubbish and ineffective, what a surprise.

On another matter..........who passed the ball to Darren Byfield for THAT goal at Cardiff? Anybody know or have the video?

By Pelsall Saddler (195.92.168.166) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Shifnal, it was Matt Gadsby.

By ANoS (213.122.203.21) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Yep, Gadsby, who received the ball from Barras I think.

I see Mansfield have now conceeded over 50 goals this season I think, obviously face ache aint made a difference.

What's happened to Dion Scott? Didn't he move to Stags last summer?

By Stu (62.252.64.8) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 08:20 pm: Edit

I thought the 2nd penalty was a penalty, but one of those you "earn" rather than are given.

It wasnt a straight foul, but, if the defender is stupid to leave his leg out then it serves him right.
Perfect example being Ljungberg yesterday. Staunton left his leg out, Ljungberg went over and the ref gives the penalty. Any defender leaving his leg out is asking the attacking player to go down.

By Shifnalsaddler (62.7.149.122) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Thank you, Pelsall and ANoS.

By reading saddler (62.253.64.9) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 09:59 pm: Edit

what did everyone think about arsenals 2nd goal being dis-allowe? It just shows that the referees (is that spelt right) have really lost the plot at the moment or have they.

By DionScott (128.243.220.21) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:09 am: Edit

Dion Scott got injured pre-season, a fairly bad shoulder injury I think. Last I heard he was in training but not match fit.

By Chris Owen (217.205.220.2) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:05 pm: Edit

We were the best team according to the Guardian as well.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Re ... 45,00.html

Fensaddler

Neil Morris are you out there??

By belgian saddler (213.224.83.70) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 12:07 am: Edit

full page report on the game in the daily star (i know but it was the only paper they had left here today!) of which they devoted all of 3 lines to us!! the rest was just a load of tosh about pompey probably signing ferdinand from spurs and that they`ll definately go up. i wonder if those twerp actually go to the match, me thinks not. might as well read a bl*ody belgian paper next time they`ve only got that rag left!

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 03:46 am: Edit

Reading - I thought the 'goal' may have been disallowed for another infingement - was it definately offside?
If it was for offside, then the ref should have overruled the linesman as it was obvious to Blind Freddie.
I don't follow Villa, but they had some rough calls - that 'offside' apart. Its hard to get a decision at Highbury.

By reading saddler (62.253.64.9) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:30 pm: Edit

from what i saw of the premiership i gathered the linesman had given it for offside but then again it was early in the morning and i was very tired. However i actually think that the whole football game has to be re-thinked if the referees are ever going to do thinks right.

By reading saddler (62.253.64.9) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:52 pm: Edit

thinks=things*

By writing saddler (213.165.1.130) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 02:26 pm: Edit

rethinked=rethought

By 'rithmetic saddler (203.97.2.243) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 09:52 pm: Edit

That adds up to better English!

By reading saddler (62.253.64.9) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 11:14 pm: Edit

thanks writing saddler but can anyone tell me if im spelling referee correctly

By Sharky61 (62.7.85.169) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 06:47 am: Edit

Yes but you have used the shorter version, the real way to spell it is illigitimatemyopicineptselfabuser!
There, glad to get that one off my chest.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.163) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Just checked my Oxford Dictionary Sharky61. That shows illegitimatemyopicineptselfabuser.

Spelling was spot on except for the "e" instead of the second "i" mate. LoL

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Geoff - got my dictionary out and looked you up, and it said "refer entry for pedant for definition"

;-)
Exile

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Cheers Exile, reliable as always at having a go at me. It was only a bit of fun you know, it wasn't in my mind to be pedantic. Your smiley failed unfortunately, was it a smile or a scowl mate ?

Just to reciprocate I looked up Exile, it says "prolonged (usually enforced) absence from one's country - person banished from his/her country". So is that what happened, did you get kicked out of here then ? I didn't think that was the proper punishment for supporting the Saddlers mate ! Still, if there's any chance it'll get me a free trip to NZ and an extended stay out there, I'm willing to risk it. Up the Saddlers ! LoL

Cheers Exile

By reading saddler (62.253.64.9) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 10:54 pm: Edit

ummm predictions against grimsby any1. Walsall 3 - 1 grimsby

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Reading, I think it's very difficult to say after today's news that Grimsby have signed George Santos on loan from Sheffield United. I don't expect them to come and play football with him in the side, in fact I think we'll need to wear plenty of protection and hope to keep clear of injuries !

I can't see us failing to win this one though, I think I'll go for 4-2, as we rarely manage to keep a clean sheet.

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Geoff - With a kiwi missus I think my "enforced absence" really is a life sentence!

Sorry for the primitive smiley - the real thing takes too long to look up.

Chin up old bean - at least you get to see them play!

Cheers
Exile

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.168) on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 02:24 am: Edit

Exile,

My chin is well and truly up at the moment mate, believe me, but there have been times (fewer just lately thank God, but not so long ago) when being able to see the Saddlers play has not been an advantage !

I'll keep your comments about the Kiwi missus/life sentence to myself mate, wouldn't like to stir anything up you know!

As for the Smileys, it's the one strange thing about this site that there's no guidance about them, 'cos they're really quite good fun I think. Over on "thesaddlersfc.tk" they're there on display for you to just click on, there's absolutely loads to choose from, on "walsall-mad.co.uk" there's a guide about the codes, although they only get you a limited number of smileys, but on here, the best Saddlers message board of the lot, sod-all. Why is that ? It's really most strange.

At this point I am supposed to apologise, I believe, as I have transgressed the unwritten law by referring to other Saddlers sites on here. Maybe I'll get the dreaded red card !

Cheers Exile, thanks for the laugh, it makes supporting the Saddlers so much more bearable when you can laugh !

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 09:50 am: Edit

No Geoff, its only a yellow this time, but watch your step in future, could be red next time

By Chris Owen (217.205.220.2) on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 09:54 am: Edit

12 points and you're banned Geoff....

Fensaddler

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 10:10 am: Edit

Thanks Rushall/Chris - I'd pop you a Smiley on here but I don't know how !

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 12:21 pm: Edit

Neither do I geoff

By Shifnalsaddler (62.7.128.215) on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:06 pm: Edit

George Santos gets another mention on this board then.
Careful now, or I might resurrect my joke!

By reading saddler (62.253.64.9) on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:52 pm: Edit

3-1 with a goal from junior and 2 from leitao (please )

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.163) on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 02:23 am: Edit

Which joke was that then Shifnal ? - don't hold back mate !

By freda greaves (195.93.33.13) on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Geoff

If you want to know how to add smileys etc. look in Documentation/formatting,down the left hand side of your screen.There are all sorts of "buzzers and bells" in there.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:43 am: Edit

Thanks Freda, I think I tried this before on advice from someone, I think it may have been Stu, but it seemed rather long-winded compared to the simple one-click which is all that's needed on a large variety of displayed smileys on "thesaddlersfc.tk" site. Without that it sort of slows down your posting quite a bit, so I think I gave up before I really got started.

I appreciate the advice nevertheless Freda, many thanks, I'll try to persevere more with it.

Return to 2002-03 Season