Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leicester (a) - League - 9th November 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Leicester (a) - League - 9th November 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:28 pm

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Just got back from Leicester. Thought today we played the best team in the division we have met so far by miles. We were basically outclassed for about 80 minutes, except for a 10 minute spell at the beginning of the second half.
If it wasnt for some sorry finishing and the brilliance of SUPER JIM, we would have been 4-0 down at half time. To get away with a 2-0 defeat was incredible.
Still we had to meet a good team one week, as I have not been impressed by one team so far this season apart from today.
Walker and Roper our best players by a mile. Cant really say much more.

By Stu (62.252.64.8) on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Ditto. I heard a bloke say we were "•••• poor", I have to dis-agree. I thought a very good side exposed our weaknesses, we didn't have one clear cut "he should have scored that" chance, Izzet dominated the middle and that diving slimy twerp Dickov caused us a lot of problems.

My only complaint from today, apart from the useless stewards, was once again the •••• poor defending on the 2nd goal...
Why on earth was Wrack encouraging the player to go inside him on the edge of the penalty box. He was encouraging the player to move onto his better foot and get a shot in. Why do we do this? As I've said before, if one of my players did that tomorrow morning I'd go spare. Force a player out wide for gods sake and make him work, don't make it easy for them...

Also, I didn't think I'd say this but we didn't half miss Aranalde's attacking option. I am now coming to the conclusion he'd be a better left midfielder to be honest, I still think he is weak defensively but we missed his over-lapping runs. It left huge spaces of the pitch empty when we were attacking.

But, overall, beaten by a better side.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.33.13) on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Yes, we certainly missed Zigor today. Carbon looked out of touch- and did you all see that BACK PASS. I thought we worked hard and given the number of chances they squandered in the first half I even hoped we might get something out the game. We need something next week at the Dons.

By Paul G (194.117.133.182) on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Leicester and Jimmy Walker were superb today. We did not really do anything wrong but just could not compete with such a powerful side. Remember they have a midfielder who was part of a world cup semi final squad just a few months ago.

Despite this I thought we did create some chances in the first half and looked good for the ten minutes before the first goal. It would have been interesting if Corica had scored instead of blasting his shot into the crowd just before the Heath goal.

We are at least competing in these games. I dread to think what the score would have been if these sides had met at this stage last season. And it is at least nice to get home and see who has slipped into the bottom 3 tonight.

By WarsawSaddler (213.76.105.224) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 12:27 pm: Edit

Did.Carbon.play.left.back?Did.it.work?My.space.bar.is.broke.

By Marko (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 12:28 pm: Edit

I don't think Leicester did anything all that clever to create a lot of their chances; just a chipped ball over the top of the defence and have a forward run on to it. After the first couple of times I would have thought that the central defence would have learnt what they were about and asdjusted their positions to either play offside (dodgy) or to drop back and cover the on-coming forward. This is how I saw it anyway.

By Marko (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Yes Carbon did play left back. No it didn't really work.

By WarsawSaddler (213.76.105.224) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 12:35 pm: Edit

I.was.afraid.tat.mit.be.te.case.Keyboard.useless.Tanks.anyway.

By a.n.o.n (218.102.23.25) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 02:46 pm: Edit

you/could/have/started/something/here/warsaw Like.it.

By NATO (195.93.33.13) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 03:21 pm: Edit

Keyboard of Warsaws Pact.

By Stu (62.252.64.8) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Its not Carbon's fault, he isn't a left back. Its like asking Roper or Hay to play at right back. You could see Carbon was wary of attacking with the ball, and apart from one poor back pass, he didn't do too bad in what was a strange position to him.

By WarsawSaddler. (213.76.106.17) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 03:49 pm: Edit

You,cant,et,decent,keyboards,out,ere.I.dont,ave,te,letters,for,adsby,or,ay.Back, four,now,very,tin,now,adsbys,one.We,only,ave,Barras,as,cover,now,for,te,backfour .

By Moaning Saddler (62.252.64.8) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Leicester Verdict now online

http://www.geocities.com/pinsticker1/fo ... dlers.html

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 07:05 pm: Edit

Oh thanks for telling us all. Cant you get any hits on your site without using another web site for doing it?

By popperpancake (81.77.130.251) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Agree that Leicester were by far the best side we have played this season. Did cross my mind when we ridiculously managed to go in ht at 0-0 that it might be our day, but wasn't to be. We did miss aranalde going forward as he is the only player who gives us any width. Carbon couldn't offer the same....not his fault mind. Didn't really understand what formation we were playing to be honest....don't think it made much difference tho as they were very strong.

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.25) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Agree with everyone else, Leicester have been the best team I have seen us play this season.

Couple of points about yesterdays game, firstly what position was dryllic supposed to be playing was it wide on the left to give carbon some help and stop them attacking down the right flank cos it didn't work especially in the first half, I counted at least 6 times impey got down the right and got telling crosses in to the box - 3 of which resulted in clear cut chances mainly falling to dickov, was he got at before the game - he could have had 4 before half time.
And why drop Junior for Dryllic, when he came on in the second half at least he threatened their goal a bit, and i think he and jorge play better together. I really thought we were going to hold on to 0-0 - just couldn't see them scoring, looked like they were having one of those days even more so after watching the goals on Sky I thought Jimmy could have saved their first and the second he had covered until it caught Hay's heel again.

The other point is, I wonder how different the Leicester side will be when we play them in the new year at Bescot after January's transfer window, I think they might have to sell at least three or four of their best players, if they're still going of course.

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.25) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 08:26 pm: Edit

This bloody clock is still wrong.

By Stu (62.252.64.8) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 09:06 pm: Edit

I think we seemed to kick off with a sort of funny looking 4-4-1-1 with Driller out on the left.

To be honest, I thought Driller had a far better game than Jorge. Driller held the ball up very well and brough others into play frequently. Jorge was well marshalled, me thinks they did their homework on him.

The Administrators at Leicester have already said they won't be selling any of the players, and considering Lineker's consortium looks odds-on to raise the £7m required, then I imagine we'll still the same side at Bescot.

One thing I still hate is the fact that a business thats £30m+ in debt can still 'function' as normal. Added to that, if it were any other business, the first thing that would be done is sell the 'saleable' assets, ie the players, except the administrators there have promised not to sell the players. I still think we should adopt the European "get tough" policy on insolvent clubs

By Moaning Saddler (62.252.64.8) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Dear Mr Sheffield Saddler,

Thanks for the typically ungenerous nature of your comments - what a strangely negative individual you are.

I occasionally enjoy writing my comments on a match in the form of a web page - I can't fathom out why that should be such a problem for you.

Loosen up a bit.

Yours ever

Moaning

P.S. Sorry if I didn't give top marks to the performance of your mate, Mr D Doffer, but at least he has some redeeming personality traits.

By cannock (194.117.133.182) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 10:29 pm: Edit

As mentioned on another thread Moaning. Excellent report.

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Agreed, Moaning - good to see your thoughts regularly.

Whatever happened to the Pinsticker guide to the season, by the way? That was most amusing last year.

Cheers
Exile

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 10:07 am: Edit

I didn't think we posed any sort of attacking threat - at least Junior had 3 shots in 10 mins, which is more than the rest of the team put together.
Leicester had 3 forwards [and luckily, two of them
were Dickov and Deane, who are rubbish]and played with 3 up front for much of the time.
We had 3 attacking players [Jorge, Zdrillic and Corica] but only ever 1 up front at a time, until the game was lost.
I thought we were very timid. Yes, Leicester were good, but I thought Saturday had elements of last seasons capitulation at The Hawthorns about it.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 11:35 am: Edit

PS- I promise to try and write my next load of waffle in English.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Nothing could be as bad as last seasons display at the Hawthorns.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 01:52 pm: Edit

How about the previous years display at Oxford?

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 04:41 pm: Edit

You have a good point there Tim! I just hope nothing as extreme as these matches ever happens again!

By popperpancake (195.224.209.195) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Wasn't as bad as either of those games. who is gonna play left back then with zigor out for 3-4 weeks? No money to bring anyone in........simpson for me with sonner and o'connor in midfield. I dont think carbon looked comfortable there. Wright played there in some pre season games but he looked out of place too.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 05:19 pm: Edit

We really must have pushed the boat out in the summer if we're unable to even bring a player in on-loan at the moment, even after unloading Gadsby.
It makes me look at some of the others in the squad and asking whether we really need them? Pedro for instance, even Barras and dare I say it, Herivelto. Nothing against them as players, but none of them seem to figure in the first XI on a regular basis (when fit in Matias' case). I think they're good squad players, but when we're desperately after a left back (permanently or on loan) do we really need 4 centre halves on the books (Roper, Hay, Carbon, Barras), surely a kid could always fill in on the bench when needed.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.15) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Well said Popper - Simmo for left back for me too.

By Andrew Parsons (194.117.133.180) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Carbon definitely struggled but he was out of position. I saw Mark Wright have an excellent reserve game against what was a poor Bury side the other week. He will aleast give us an attacking option down the wing. If he's good enough for midfield he's worth ago at full back.

By Paul G (194.117.133.182) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Wright has now had several games in the reserves at full back. He is the most logical replacement - in theory he could play the exact role that Aranalde does.

Colin Lee was critical of the previous regimes failure to bring the youngsters on. Now is the chance for Mark Wright.

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.64) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Stu, you missed one - the elusive Dani Rodrigues, is he still at the club, has anyone seen him, last I heard he didn't even make the starting 11 for the reserves, I wonder what wages he's on considering he came from a premiership club

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 10:08 am: Edit

Yes - What has has happened to Rodrigues? He must be on a decent wage if he come from a premiership club.
One thing we cant do at Walsall is have fringe players that are not getting in side, for example Barras? He has played next to nothing this season yet I read in the Express and Star a few week back that Lee said he still has him in his plans. Lets be honest he isnt going to get in the team ahead of Hay, Carbon and Roper is he!
What about Martinez, what has happened to him? I only see him on Sky now. Not as if I have ever rated him.

By Neil Ravenscroft (217.206.78.146) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 10:27 am: Edit

Lee has been "disappointed" with Rodrigues in training. He's only been on the bench for the reserves, sometimes.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.234) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 01:23 pm: Edit

I think we should quietly off-load Martinez and make room for a player to provide cover for the left back position.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Isn't Martinez playing for free though? I've said this a few times before. I am sure that when we signed him, Lee said we basically only signed him coz he was free. I'm 99% sure.
He was (and I presume he still is) in dispute with Motherwell over his contract. Thus, like football managers, they can't pursue a court case against employers if they are taking a wage from elsewhere!

I think thats why Tony Pulis suddenly managed to agree a figure with Pompey for compensation, as he wanted to take the Stoke job. They'd been haggling for 18 months or so, then suddenly they agreed a fee in time for him to take over at Stoke.

As a result, Martinez might be playing for free or appearance money at most. Thus, he probably doesn't affect our wage budget at all. Could be wrong though...

By popperpancake (195.224.209.227) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Paul G...the main problem with wright playing left back is he is right footed....so he couldn't overlap in the same manner as zigor. Simpson isn't perhaps as fast as zigor but he's got good delivery if he can sneak forward. And with presumably corica or wrack playing in front of him the balance would be better with his left foot. As for rodrigues.....very strange as lee must have seen him before enough not to have to be "disappointed" in training with him. Could be one of CL's few mistakes so far. Personally i think we lack cover at right back as well as left back...as wrack or wright would have to fill in on the other side....OK but for neither could u call it their best position. We could do with a utility full back who can play either side.

By GWH (195.93.49.13) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 06:29 pm: Edit

should have kept frederic biancalani

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.182) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 09:31 pm: Edit

I tend to agree, but he blotted his copybook well and truely with Lee last season.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 07:44 am: Edit

Yes I always rated Freddie, someone who played for us who had a decent football brain, who could play on the left of midfield or left back. Dont know what exactly happened between him and Lee last season but it was a shame I must admit.

By A. Gent (194.117.133.180) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 08:21 am: Edit

he was on enough wages for three though wasnt he?

By Ian Gittins (213.165.1.130) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:00 am: Edit

I was quite surprised by Lee's team selection on Saturday. Junior was rewarded for scoring in three consecutive games by being dropped. Herivelto, who came on and nearly won the game against Blackburn, was dropped from the bench. Why was Birch there? If we needed to substitute a forward, we had Junior on the bench, and Birch's game but limited displays on the wing earlier this season showed Harry is a far better bet. Does anybody else feel Mr Lee is sometimes a bit too much of a roundhead and not enough of a cavalier? Discuss.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Yes, I was surprised too with some of his selections on Saturday just like you Ian. Agree that Harry should have been on the bench at least, after his performance at Blackburn 3 days earlier.
Also surpised as to why Wright is not given more of a chance as I think he looked good earlier in the season especially against Sheffield United.
And the article in the Express and Star where he said Barras still as a future at Walsall, how? He is never going to be selected above Hay, Carbon and Roper is he?
Overall though I think Lee is great, no problems at all with him, just sometimes a little surprised as to what he does!

By flownswift (144.254.105.23) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:13 pm: Edit

the club and particularly the youth really look up to Barras though. I saw a quote from the u19 captain talking about playing in the reserves and he was elated to be playing with players 'like Tony Barras'

A couching job when his playing days are over perhaps? He is very highly regarded at the club, and perhaps he and the management are looking to the next stage of his career?

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:38 pm: Edit

I thought it was pretty clear why Junior was dropped, espeically when the side lined up.

With Aranalde missing, it was obvious we would be 'weak' at left back. It seemed as though, to counter this, Lee played a sort of 4-4-1-1 type thing, with Driller seeming to stick out wide left and Corica pushing onto Jorge. Occasionally Driller came more into the middle when we pushed forward.
But, you couldn't have played Junior in that role coz of his workrate and lack of physical presence.

So Junior was dropped to accomodate Driller to help re-inforce the left.

Havent a clue about Harry though.

By popperpancake (195.224.209.51) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I understand why he might wanna shore up the left hand side (altho it's a change for people to say we looked weak that side cos zigor was not in the side!), but why use a striker to do it? To me it would have made more sense to play wrack on the left, switch corica to the right and play with 2 strikers, with one perhaps dropping deep if necessary (fair enough, zdrilic could have come in for junior considering we were always gonna have to work hard at leicester). Having said that i thought zdrilic had a decent game. I would like us to keep hold of junior as i think he's capable of scoring plenty of goals. He looked sharp on saturday when he came on. (Plus at least when we get a free kick near the box there's some genuine anticipation of a goal).

By Ian Gittins (213.165.1.130) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Yes, this playing strikers on the wing lark seems an odd one to me, especially as neither Zdrilic or Birch are the most mobile of players, and we have no shortage of wingers on our books. It's good to have both Zdrilic and Junior keeping Jorge on his toes, though. And at least he can SEE his toes nowadays.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 07:43 pm: Edit

I think at the moment we have a great trio of strikers. Leitao, Junior and Zdrillic are playing so well at the present time. Its must be so hard for Lee to drop one of them every match. I personally would always play Jorge as he is the only one out the three who will put himself about for the full 90 minutes. Always chasing and never giving up on any ball. I have always said that given a decent service Jorge will score 15+ goals in this division. I reckon he will prove me right this season.
Me and Stu had this discussion at Blackburn, do you think Lee would ever take the risk and play all 3 up front one match! What a match that would be to consider going to!

Return to 2002-03 Season