Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry (a) - League - 26th October 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Coventry (a) - League - 26th October 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:23 pm

By Fish (62.7.59.95) on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Allow extra time to get to Cov on Saturday, it will be the busiest day of the Motor Show at the NEC and severe congestion can be expected on the M6, M42 etc.

By belgian saddler (213.194.41.5) on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 11:36 am: Edit

severe congestion on the M6, so what's new?

By scotty (195.92.168.168) on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 01:11 pm: Edit

It's possible to avoid the M6 & M42. From Brownhills follow the A5 upto Wall island and then the A38 towards B'ham. Pick up the signs for the Belfry and follow this road (passing the Belfry)up to the 'M42 island' (junction 9 M42). Go straight over this island following the signs for Coventry. Eventually you'll hit the A45 with only about 10 miles to go to Coventry city centre. Not sure where the ground is from here though!

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Another big following this Saturday, as big as Derby hopefully, nine of us going, anybody know how the ticket sales are going.

By CovSaddler (212.103.233.4) on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 08:48 am: Edit

Cov were in sparkling form last night apparently, and should have been a few goals up on Norwich before the last minute equaliser. Several one-on-ones and an open goal were missed. On the plus side, it will have been a hard game, and they continue to underestimate us from fan to Boardroom.

Come on you Saddler boys. Give me the chance to indulge in 6 months of joyous mocking.

By behind the enermy lines (134.220.2.2) on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 04:49 pm: Edit

how far is the ground from the station, I am not getting stuck on the m42/m6 with a load of car loving weidoes.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 05:52 pm: Edit

A good 20-25 mins.

Details at-

http://www.footballgroundguide.dial.pip ... ventry.htm
Can anyone recommend a pub- the Rocket by the Station is a bit of a hike to the ground!!

By behind enermy lines (134.220.2.2) on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 06:31 pm: Edit

cheers great site, how many on here are jumping on the "wonderful" virgin trains off here.

By delvessaddler (194.117.133.182) on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Me. Only 25 mins. to cov. from brum.

By Sharky61 (62.7.106.12) on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 08:27 pm: Edit

There are plenty of pubs not far from the ground in Far Gosford street, it runs parallel to Sky Blue Way ending by that little park, about 5 to 10 minutes walk from the gound.

By CovSaddler (213.40.24.87) on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Not sure if you boys are aware, but just in case you're not, I'd say you're taking a bit of a risk going either in the Rocket or the pubs on Far Gosford Street, as they are the obvious places for away fans to alight (being next to the Station and near to the ground respectively), and I have seen trouble at both before and after games.

The centre of town has the usual assortment of Yates'/Varsity etc and a couple of places similar to the Wharf in Walsall.If you want to try these, head for the centre of town near the Council House. It would be a 10 minute walk to these from the station and another 15 or so on to the ground from there.

Not really practical for the train travellers who don't want to fork out on two taxis before the match, but if you have plenty of time and prefer good beer and spit and sawdust, head for any of the pubs in Spon End or Craven Street. It would be a 5 minute taxi ride from the station to these pubs. If you're driving in from the A45 it's only a little off your route. You're still a 20 minute drive from the ground though, including parking time (10 minutes in a Taxi).

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 08:29 am: Edit

In the football ground guide it recommends the Hastings on Clay Lane, 5 minutes from the ground, it says it has seperate bars for home and away supporters. The Rose and Crown on Walsgrave Road, the Rose and Woodbine on Barras Green and the Biggin Hall Hotel on Binley Road.

By The undercover large nailed foot (217.39.150.127) on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 05:24 pm: Edit

I went in the Rose and Crown last season, no problems.

I was with a few workmates who are Cov lads tho.

By Saddler in USA (63.103.205.50) on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Come on boys, lets roar the boys onto three points tommorrow

I will be cheering them on from the states...UP THE SADDLERS !!!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Ditto

And I'll be cheering them on from Block C of the North Stand...UP THE SADDLERS !!!

By .com (62.7.123.74) on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 05:10 pm: Edit

0-0

By petelee (218.102.23.28) on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 05:48 pm: Edit

According to Martin Swain on the E&S site, we were lucky to get the point. According to Soccernet, Coventry were lucky to get the point.

Can someone tell me what really happened?!

By the hooded claw (217.39.150.127) on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Yeah but Martin Swain's a Cov fan and a very, very poor journalist.

0-0 was a fair result with both sides looking ordinary. Not the greatest of games but can't moan at a point away from home.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Martin Swain should get his facts right the ignorant tw*t, dont I just hate this bloke. We were much the better team by far in the first half thats for sure. In the second half the first 20 minutes were Coventry, the next 10 were even and the last 15 minutes were Walsall. If any team derserved to win we did.
Thought Jorge ran himself into the ground again, excellent again. Thought Roper was brilliant again and also thought Aranalde played well, never thought I would ever say that!
Junior looked knackered after 55 minutes and started to lose the plot completely. I also find that Corica in the last 20 minutes of any game just loses it.
Overall happy with a point but our performance once again deserved more.
One match we are going to hammer someone I will tell you that. 4 or 5 nil I can just see it coming.

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.182) on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Was that me or you who posted that, Sheffield? (See the Sporting Star thread)!

By SaddlerSteve (195.93.33.13) on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 07:53 pm: Edit

I reckon we should get a decent result against Sjoke next weekend!!

We should get a few against them as they lost 4-0 today!!

By Sharky61 (213.122.92.177) on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Had enough chances today but to be fair so did they, a point apiece seems fair enough. The defence must take the plaudits tonight. Roper was up for it from the start and Ziggy gets better every game. Coventry have some usefull youngsters in Bothroyd and McSheffrey and players like Saffri and Chippo you should never underestimate. Good turnout of Saddlers fans, loved it when they asked the Cov fans "Shall we sing a song for you" followed by "City Clap Clap Clap". Mind you there chant of "YamYam YamYam" was funny. I get called that at work but better a YamYam than a Brummie I say.That we can compete with the likes of Coventry and give a good account of ourselves shows the progress we are making, long may it continue.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 09:07 pm: Edit

The thing that annoys me is that all season I havent seen a good team in this division and we are still below mid-table. Teams like Coventry, Ipswich and Derby, all recently relgated from the premiership we have played well against and should have got more points from.
As I have said previously I honestly believe one weekend we are going to give someone a really good hammering.

By Fish (213.122.218.117) on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Just to think, after his excellent season in the first, two years ago, Roper was on the transfer list this time last year (Graydon thought he was not good enough)...just goes to show.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.173) on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 01:23 am: Edit

Fish, I think most of us, two years ago, would have said Roper wasn't good enough. But he's become so strong and committed he must be one of the first names on the team sheet. He reminds me in some ways of some of the most-committed players I've seen in my time watching the Saddlers, which goes back to the 2nd half of the fifties. In defence, I think back to players like Stan Bennett and Nick Atthey amongst others, who never gave less than 100% every game.

Today I thought Ropes was superb, as was Wakker. I don't think I could really pick out anyone to criticise heavily, though if I was pickey I'd say Junior was over-selfish ( as well as the usual over-left-footed ), and after dominating the first half-hour we began to give away possession far too easily at times and brought unnecessary pressure on ourselves.

I thought Coventry were a bit disappointing, they certainly didn't outclass us and they gave the ball away a lot, but they were mostly on top between 30/45 mins and 45 to 80 without really hurting us.

I think you're spot on Sheffield, there will be a game soon when we stick a load of goals away, but everyone has to improve their thinking and reaction times and their sharpness to make that happen. Chances like Wracky missed early on today have to get a better more positive response.

Before the game I'd have settled for a point today, and that's what we got. I think I should be happy at that, so I've talked myself into it - It'll do for me !

By the hooded claw (217.39.150.127) on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 02:58 am: Edit

Compere Martin "Sky Blue" Swain's report compared to an unbiased report from the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 342253.stm

Oh Geoff, i've never questioned Roper at this level, he only played badly when he was along side Barras, as long as he had an experienced head(a shouter) to help him read the game he was fine, now he's the finished article.

By Stu (62.252.64.8) on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 10:05 am: Edit

I thought it was a solid performance yesterday. We did appear to lack a bit of cutting edge at times, but I think thats coz they didn't seem to bad at the back. And Konjic and Davenport won everything in the air, as you'd expect two 6ft3 centre halves to do, so I was puzzled that we still knocked the occasional long ball.

Swain is a tit, and a jealous one at that. I thought we were the better side in the first half, never really got going in the 2nd half until the last 10/15 minutes.

But, once again, we've gone to one of the better sides in the division and matched them. I'm yet to see a team that has really impressed me...

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.168) on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 11:44 am: Edit

hooded claw, thanks for posting that link, it's really interesting that the BBC report should come out so much in our favour, though quite honestly I think it paints a rosier picture of our performance than I recall seeing yesterday.

As I posted above, and Stu has confirmed, we had most of the 1st half but I didn't think we did much 2nd half until the last 10/15 mins, though the BBC says we continued to be the more threatening side. I really got very frustrated with the possession we kept giving away 2nd half and I'd begun to think it was inevitable that Coventry's pressure would eventually produce a clear-cut chance and a goal. Thankfully we survived thanks to an excellent defensive display, Ropes and Wakker in particular, and then we ended the game the stronger side and definitely looked the more likely to snatch the winner.

Overall I'd have taken a point before the game, so I'm well satisfied with that. The points total is being undermined by too many draws though. No-one is outclassing us but we've still only managed 16 points. If we'd got the deserved result vs. PNE last week and lost yesterday we'd be 1 point better off, we need to address that problem by improving the chances to goals ratio. Gotta get more ruthless.

By deanonev69 (213.122.97.50) on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Did anyone see the stewards and what jobsworths they were? Give my mate a right telling off for making a barclays sign!

Mind you they didn't know what to say after i had used some expletives and i turn and say "Don't worry mate-i could be teaching your kids on Monday!"

As for the game, we started well but did fade a little. Another classy game for Roper- i will admit that there were times when you would hear his name in the team and groan, but now i would have him as first choice every time. You expect him to make the challenges running back and he has to be applauded for his commitment.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 09:37 pm: Edit

I thought the stewards were non-existant yesterday. I didnt get told off once which is a miracle for me!

By belgian saddler (213.194.41.5) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:20 am: Edit

jezus sheff what's the world coming to? make sure you get told off twice next away match or people will begin to say you're slipping

By Cockerney Saddler (212.82.80.2) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:39 am: Edit

Agreed with most people here. Looked very dangerous first half, with Roper excellent and Wrack, Corica and the two front lads linking up well. Just a shame we didn't create a few more clear-cut chances – we could and should have been a goal or two up at half time on the balance of play alone.
Cov were rubbish first half but upped the tempo in 2nd and put us under some pressure. We still could have pinched it at the end tho.
Most of the Sunday papers were making a big deal out of Partridge, their winger on loan from Liverpool. He was lively but I thought Bazely had a good game against him.
Any ideas how many we took along?

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:56 am: Edit

Looked like around 2000 to me, but I'm probably well out with my estimate, thought we were great again though just like Derby, lets have another big following for the Leicester game.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:24 pm: Edit

How about the Blackburn game?

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Yes Sheffield, I hope we have a massive following for the Blackburn game, unfortunately we cannot make that game, but I think we might just sneak a result there, bearing in mind Blackburns other commitments around that game, ie premiership and the two Celtic games, a few reserve players might be turning out against us, plus just how bothered will Graeme Souness be about progressing further in the competition.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Pretty serious about progressing I would have thought. They won it last year!

By Ulster Saddler (212.3.176.14) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 02:14 pm: Edit

Nothing to do with the Coventry game, but David Kelly won the FAI Cup yesterday playing for Derry City against Shamrock Rovers. Thats his last game for Derry now he is coach at Tranmere. They won one nil but he did not score.
UP THE SADDLERS

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 02:51 pm: Edit

and Lightbulb scored for Macclefield on Saturday

By Sam Hayward (62.7.165.222) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 04:31 pm: Edit

We faded a bit to much for my liking but the fact that we came out of the blocks fast was pretty good. we are showing some form now. i think that we'll have Palace!

By MarkW (212.159.32.121) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:03 pm: Edit

I also agree with most of the above (for a change!)Just a shame we couldn,t nick one at the death when we had our only posession of the second half.
Hopefully we'll beat Palace but i'm worried about Ward in goal v Stoke.I hope he is injured forcing us to bring in another keeper on loan.
I have a mate who supports Stoke and he cannot wait to play us if Ward is playing.i think that says it all.I really don't see the point of having somebody like Ward as no.2 to Jimmy.He's probably got a reasonable contract that could go to another outfield player and will hardly play.Why not have a kid as no.2 and bring a loan signing in if necessary.

By popperpancake (195.224.209.139) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Agree with most of above. Solid performance. Roper excellent. Think Simpson was off the pace a little tho. I expect Sonner to be challenging Simpson strongly in the near future. Leitao and Junior look like they could have a nice understanding (if only junior would make better decisions). Bazeley did very well against partridge. Hay will replace carbon when fit....didn't think i'd be saying that at the start of the season. 6 points in next week would be nice.

By Andy W (194.9.188.3) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Agree with you there Popper, thought Sonner should have come on for Simo in the last 10/15 mins. There seemed to be one particular point in front of us where their right back cut inside Simo and left him for dead (and it wasn't the right back's pace that did it).

Having said that though, I thought we were solid apart from a couple of individual lapses but tended to give the ball away too cheaply in midfield and up front.
Also thought Zdrillic did well in the air when he came on and it would have been interesting to see Harry for the last 15 as all of their defenders were pretty dig guys although by then we were probably happy to settle for a point.

By Down Under Saddler (203.41.31.8) on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Deanonev69, (interesting name) The ref you made to Jobsworth, can you or anyone else tell me who it was that used to sing that song about Jobsworth. I had it on an old LP but it got nicked, it was somebody live at a theatre in London somewhere. I can recall some of the words, but not who it was that sang it. TA!!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.166) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:57 am: Edit

Not sure, I can certainly recall some of the words of the song "Jobsworth, jobsworth, more than me jobsworth" but can't be sure who it was that recorded it. Sounds a bit like the style of Chas 'n' Dave, but I wouldn't like to say.

Have you tried a "search" on the 'net Down Under Saddler ?

By On The Buses (203.97.2.242) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:08 am: Edit

Let that lazy lot take their buses out late? It's more than my jobsworth!

Blakey

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 09:31 am: Edit

JOBSWORTH Jeremy Taylor

I was just an ordinary Englishman,
'Til I got me uniform and hat,
And ever since that hour, I exercise me power,
Preventing you from doing this and that.
You'll find me on the turnstiles at the zoo,
Or outside the Roxy, marshalling the queue,
And if you turn up late, when I'm on the gate,
It's no good asking me to let you through: I'll just say

Chorus:

Jobsworth, jobsworth, it's more than my job's worth.
I don't care, rain or snow whatever you want the answer's NO!
I can keep you standing for hours in the queue
And if you don't like it you know what you can do.

When you're tryin' to see what the butler saw,
I'm the one who says "Come on, move on"
And if you want to stay, you have to bleedin' pay,
And even then you can't stay very long.
You may be almost droppin' dead from thirst,
Or waiting for a toilet, fit to burst,
But I've got the key, and you won't get that from me
Until I've had me little grumble first.

Chorus

Fishin' in the River on a summer's day,
I s'pose you think that water's all for free
But I've got news for you, everybody pays his due
And right now it'll cost you 50p
And don't think you can picnic on the grass -
Public amenity, my arse!
And if you want fresh air, you'll find some over there
But I don't feel inclined to let you pass (without a back-hander)

Chorus

"Mornin' skipper, what can we do for you?"
"Don't call me Skipper" - "Alright chief, don't shout!"
Whatever you require, We're very sorry squire,
But its ten to one we've just sold out.
'Course you could try that shop around the block,
But I doubt if he's got any left in stock
And if you think we'll get 'em through inside a month or two
I'm afraid you're in for a nasty shock - cock.

Chorus

When you get back home, you will heave a sigh
And thank the Lord that you've got rid of me,
But it won't be very long before your telephone goes wrong,
And you need someone to fix your T.V.
And add to that your lights have all gone out
And your central heating boiler's up the spout
And when you're tearing your hair, and the wife's going spare
You'll hear us in the distance calling out ( 2, 3, 4 )

Final Chorus:

Jobsworth, Jobsworth, it's more than our Jobs worth
We don't care, rain or snow, whatever you want the answer's NO!
We can keep you standing for YEARS in the queue,
And if you don't like it, you know what you can do: you can lump it

And if you don't like it, you know what you can do!

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 09:33 am: Edit

Chas and Dave indeed! Sorry about that, it's just that I'm a sad folky. It happens to people of my age!

By Dunn & Co. (194.117.133.180) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Mr. Ravenscroft, will you please come in and pick up your loyalty card.

By Saga Holidays (213.165.1.130) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:09 pm: Edit

And your booking's come through.

By Neil's chemist (195.92.168.174) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:38 pm: Edit

And your surgical stockings and haemorrhoid cream are here. Will you pop in for them, or shall I get Mrs Price to pick them up, when she comes down for your pension?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.163) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Neil, do you mean I was right about it being Chas 'n' Dave then ?

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:43 pm: Edit

3-4 gutted.

By Down Under Saddler (203.41.31.8) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Yeah Gutted.

Nice one Neil, but that was not the person I had singing those very same words. My wife reckons his first name was Richard. I will go on looking.

Still Gutted

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Ricard Stilgoe?

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 04:30 am: Edit

Not pseudo folkie Richard Thompson?

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:33 am: Edit

Doesn't sound like Richard Thompson's style!

By Too embarrassed to admit (212.103.238.53) on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 05:24 pm: Edit

I was pretty sure it was this bloke, but I can't see a specific reference to the song on this site :

http://homepage.virgin.net/stephen.theobald/biggun.htm

By Chris Owen (217.205.220.2) on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Don't recognise it as Richard Thompson, and I've got or heard pretty much everything he's ever recorded as a solo artist. Glad to know there are a few others out there who know of the mighty English axeman's talents!

Hell, its good not to have to talk politics...

Fensaddler

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 06:16 pm: Edit

True, especially when you can talk about one of the greatest English Folk and Folk/Rock guitarists!

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:36 pm: Edit

I think his Wall of Death is totally brilliant.
I heard it on the radio and all I heard was the DJ saying 'and that was by REM'. So I spent ages trying to find it on one of their albums (not even knowing the track title) - its on an obscure one.
I then noticed it was by 'Thompson' so pulled out a triple CD of his best that I had picked up at a Car Boot sale for bugger all only to realise I had the track after all.
Such are the joys of the compulsive obsessive music enthusiast.
Just to annoy his fans, I think the REM version is slightly better.
Go on - hit me.

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.182) on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:46 pm: Edit

His masterpiece for me (post Fairport days, of course) is "Vincent Black Lightening". Seen him do it twice, once with full band, once on his own, acoustic. What a man!

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:55 pm: Edit

I'll check it out

By the hooded claw (217.39.171.206) on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:25 am: Edit

I went to Cropredy this year but i fell asleep before Richard Thompson came on.

Snakebite beats nytol hands down.

By Down Under Saddler (203.41.31.8) on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 10:53 pm: Edit

It was Richard Digence. There you go it came to me in a dream. Did he not also sing a song about some sheila called Rosie, or have I got that one confused with that busker who still hangs around Torbay. Partridge or something!!!

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.182) on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 11:15 pm: Edit

It would certainly be Digence's style. I think you've solved the puzzle, Down Under! As for JPD, if you're checking out the Thompson back catelogue, try "From Galway to Graceland".

By the hooded claw (217.39.171.206) on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 11:53 pm: Edit

that's weird, Digence was on at Cropredy this year as well!!!

but i was in the pub strangly enuff.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 09:52 am: Edit

Just how much time did you spend in the pub and did you manage to see anybody?

By Michael Eavis (213.165.1.130) on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Cropready? Best get harvesting, then.

By DUS (203.41.31.8) on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 11:59 pm: Edit

What is Cropredy please???

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.182) on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 01:02 am: Edit

Along with Cambridge, the biggest and best British Folk Music Festival

By Maurice Dancer (203.97.2.243) on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Its like music, with bells on.

I'll get me stick.

Return to 2002-03 Season